PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About Getting A PS3....

Busyman™
07-23-2007, 04:00 AM
....what do you think?

1. The games that are coming look pretty good.

2. The price has been lowered to $500 from $600 for the 60GB version.

3. It has a next-gen movie player.

4. I heard you can add your own hard drive to increase memory storage.

5. You get 5 free Blu-Ray movies from these choices (1 from each category, tell what movies look good to you, mine are in bold):

The Guardian
Pearl Harbor
Chicken Little
Invincible

Phantom Of The Opera
Corpse Bride
Blazing Saddles

Stealth
Underworld Evolution
Stir Of Echoes
Resident Evil 2

The Italian Job
Black Rain
Devil's Rejects
Babel

Kiss Of The Dragon
Omen 666
Hart's War
The Last Waltz
Transporter 2
Species

It's kinda hard for me to do impluse buys but have the impulse to do it.

They are $500 but I did make a pretty penny from selling a decent amount of PS3 when they came out. I decided not to keep any of them at the time.

Skiz
07-23-2007, 04:09 AM
If you're planning to mod it, yes.

Planning to pay $70/pop for all those games? No.

NikkiD
07-23-2007, 04:35 AM
Mod it and what, buy a blue ray burner? Pay what, $500-$1000 for the burner and another $10 plus for the blank media? (That's if it's a single layer game). For now, you may as well buy the games.

It's worth the investment Busy, we bought ours this weekend. Jon's just finished Resistance, I'm about 3/4 through it. What a fucking fun game.

Oh, and I'd change The Italian Job to Black Rain. :P

iNSOMNiA
07-23-2007, 07:21 AM
I'm not going to buy it soon, i think it's fairly expansive for a gaming console..
The games looks pretty amazing but i mostly play FPS and Flight sims so i have all i need with my PC
The blue ray thing might be a very good invest indeed but my comp can handle 1080i formats and i don't have HDTV yet.. i guess i'm gna wait a bit.

S!X
07-23-2007, 09:36 AM
I'd rather get an Xbox 360 :dabs:

Cheese
07-23-2007, 09:46 AM
No.

marksman
07-23-2007, 11:35 AM
i say..get it while its still 500$..as this version wont be developed anymore..just a limited quantity..its only for 600$ again afterwards..and yes u can put ur harddrive..thats what i heard 2 :)

n some awesome games are coming

haze,killzone 2,assasin's creed,heavenly sword..lots more :)

my opinion tho..

Fibo
07-23-2007, 03:50 PM
I would bye it if i could get for the price stated, over here it costs twice that much.

If there was a mod for it, then I think Id already have one.

abu_has_the_power
07-23-2007, 08:20 PM
wait a few months and they're discontinuing the 60gb model and going w/ only a 80gb model

i'd get it for ff13, mgs, and all that shit

plus online is free. xbox live is stupid. u have to pay

SirGray
07-24-2007, 01:11 AM
Id definatly get one, I really want to get one but don't have enough money for an hdtv, and it just seems like wasted potential without one.

Guyver
07-24-2007, 01:52 AM
once i am able to, ill be getting one.

go for it.

maebach
07-24-2007, 02:15 AM
Im trying to sell my X360 and Wii and get a PS3 :\

Busyman™
07-24-2007, 02:48 AM
Mod it and what, buy a blue ray burner? Pay what, $500-$1000 for the burner and another $10 plus for the blank media? (That's if it's a single layer game). For now, you may as well buy the games.

It's worth the investment Busy, we bought ours this weekend. Jon's just finished Resistance, I'm about 3/4 through it. What a fucking fun game.

Oh, and I'd change The Italian Job to Black Rain. :P

Yeah I was picking movies that would be great in HD. I don't think Blazing Saddles will be that great of a transfer. It's filmed kinda funny but I like the movie a whole lot.

Black Rain does seem like that fits the bill though. Thanks.;)

How much was your PS3?

I keeping thinking there won't be another chance in the near future for less money. Also I heard the emotion engine for the hardware emulation of PS1/2 games will be taken out for taken software emulation.

Actually what's ironic about what Skizo said is that if I modded my PS3, paid $500 for the BR burner and $10 for the media, it would run me less money than buying each game for $60 a pop.

The burners will come down soon enough.

I'd rather get an Xbox 360 :dabs:

Already own one plus a Wii.

wait a few months and they're discontinuing the 60gb model and going w/ only a 80gb model

i'd get it for ff13, mgs, and all that shit

plus online is free. xbox live is stupid. u have to pay

I got Xbox Live Vision for $50.

I got the camera, UNO, and 12 months.

That amounts to $4.17 a month which is not too bad.

LittleBigPlanet looks great on the PSN though.

I'm going to look into the extra hard drive.

Skiz
07-24-2007, 03:09 AM
That's what I meant. You may spend a bit to get going, but in a year from now when you're looking at your huge game collection, it'll all be worth it.

Plus, it's a new console and you'll be burning games for the next 5 years.

Busyman™
07-24-2007, 03:25 AM
That's what I meant. You may spend a bit to get going, but in a year from now when you're looking at your huge game collection, it'll all be worth it.

Yeah so far I haven't heard of any mod kits for it.

Colt Seevers
07-24-2007, 09:20 AM
Wait for a while... I would, if I could but it's too late for me.

Skiz
07-24-2007, 04:42 PM

Wait a few months. The BluRay burners are probably going down in price every week. :lol:

Busyman™
07-24-2007, 04:55 PM

Wait a few months. The BluRay burners are probably going down in price every week. :lol:

Yeah I have no intention of buying burner any time soon.

I can, however, get the PS3. I'll have some movies and a small amount of great games for awhile.

I've seen the gameplay for MGS4 and my jaw dropped.:O

Lair looks great as well. Both are only on the PS3.

Colt Seevers
07-24-2007, 05:59 PM
I would give it till September mate, by that time it should be full steam ahead...hopefully with regards to quality and quantity of good games + home and the price probably down a few quid as well, which you could use to purchase another game! :w00t:

you said you saw actuall ingame footage from MGS4? Thats cool, all I have seen are 20min long cut scenes..if anyone has any links to actuall gameplay footage that would pretty cool....

Busyman™
07-24-2007, 08:15 PM
I would give it till September mate, by that time it should be full steam ahead...hopefully with regards to quality and quantity of good games + home and the price probably down a few quid as well, which you could use to purchase another game! :w00t:

you said you saw actuall ingame footage from MGS4? Thats cool, all I have seen are 20min long cut scenes..if anyone has any links to actuall gameplay footage that would pretty cool....
In HD

http://gametrailers.com/player/22702.html?type=wmv

Yeah the PS3 Blu-Ray movie deal goes until Sept. 30.

These are the exclusive games that I want that are either out already or coming this year.

Resistance: Fall Of Man
Lair
Heavenly Sword
Folklore
Ratchet & Clank
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Eight Days (the trailer looked nice but it was fake gameplay)

Skiz
07-24-2007, 08:25 PM
That was just more movie scenes. :unsure:

Busyman™
07-24-2007, 08:31 PM
That was just more movie scenes. :unsure:

Click Windows Media, Skiz.:ermm:

Moksi
07-26-2007, 08:14 AM
Im thinking about getting one and if a chip comes out itll be more interesting

flaVius
07-30-2007, 02:20 PM

Really? Why do you think the PS3 is better than either of those systems?

Colt Seevers
07-30-2007, 03:13 PM

Yes! :whistling

maebach
07-31-2007, 03:17 PM
Im getting mine this week! I can wait for LAIR and MGS. Has anybody played F1:Championship Racing? IS it a good game?

BD capabilities, I like the web browser (I have to pay for the Wii browser), linux(needs improvement), putting media on the HDD, the SIXAXIS controller will get games that will use it well. Also,we have a Sony camera so we can use the card reader on the PS3 to watch the pictures (cuoldnt do this with the Wii). I agree with Busyman, in that the Wii has a wow factor, but doesnt have depth. The first few weeks I loved it, and now its just boring. THe X360 was a fine gaming system, but not a great multimedia system. All of my friends have a 360, so by getting the PS3, we can play different games that other systems dont have.

Busyman™
07-31-2007, 07:21 PM
Im getting mine this week! I can wait for LAIR and MGS. Has anybody played F1:Championship Racing? IS it a good game?

BD capabilities, I like the web browser (I have to pay for the Wii browser), linux(needs improvement), putting media on the HDD, the SIXAXIS controller will get games that will use it well. Also,we have a Sony camera so we can use the card reader on the PS3 to watch the pictures (cuoldnt do this with the Wii). I agree with Busyman, in that the Wii has a wow factor, but doesnt have depth. The first few weeks I loved it, and now its just boring. THe X360 was a fine gaming system, but not a great multimedia system. All of my friends have a 360, so by getting the PS3, we can play different games that other systems dont have.

I think I'm going to be disappointed with Lair.

I heard you can't turn off Sixaxis control. I don't really like tacked on Wii/Sixaxis control.

I wanna be able to sit on my ass, relaxing stylee, and use just my thumbs to play. All this "interactivity can suck my ass.

maebach
07-31-2007, 08:26 PM

I heard you can't turn off Sixaxis control. I don't really like tacked on Wii/Sixaxis control.

I wanna be able to sit on my ass, relaxing stylee, and use just my thumbs to play. All this "interactivity can suck my ass.

Maybe you should wait? I saw a youtube video for some racing game (motostorm I think) and the guy went into the pause menu and enabled the SIXAXIS function. So Im guessing they'll probably do the same for LAIR.

Busyman™
07-31-2007, 09:43 PM

Maybe you should wait? I saw a youtube video for some racing game (motostorm I think) and the guy went into the pause menu and enabled the SIXAXIS function. So Im guessing they'll probably do the same for LAIR.

Nope. I heard you cannot disable it in Lair.

There was a Gamepro review which gave it a 3.75 out of 5 for this reason.

maebach
08-01-2007, 01:27 PM

Id wait for an IGN or Gamespot review. Even if you cant disable it, its just the wrists you have to move.

Busyman™
08-01-2007, 02:43 PM

Id wait for an IGN or Gamespot review. Even if you cant disable it, its just the wrists you have to move.

You should have no problem with that then, Loverboy.

Don't break the controller.

maebach
08-01-2007, 04:46 PM

Sure. :dabs:

On a serious note, it good some good reviews and some bad reviews:

EGM ---5.5 (6 ,5.5 ,5.0)

PLAY UK --9.0

GAMEZONE --9.0

EDGE ---9.0 (LEAKED . the papaerback magazine would be out in a few days)

GAMEPRO --7.5 (praised everything except the controls)

Busyman™
08-01-2007, 07:09 PM

EGM ---5.5 (6 ,5.5 ,5.0)

PLAY UK --9.0

GAMEZONE --9.0

It seems EGM ripped the game.

Where'd you get the Gamepro score? Everyone ius saying it received 3.75.

maebach
08-01-2007, 07:46 PM

EGM ---5.5 (6 ,5.5 ,5.0)

PLAY UK --9.0

GAMEZONE --9.0

It seems EGM ripped the game.

Where'd you get the Gamepro score? Everyone ius saying it received 3.75.

http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=136834

Not the greatest source, but its the best I can find

SingaBoiy
08-02-2007, 02:58 AM

Only $480 ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106037

At $10 a disc, the burner pays for itself in about 10 games.

Busyman™
08-02-2007, 03:38 AM

Only $480 ;)

What, for a modded a PS3? Where are they?

When they do come out, firmware updates can "fix it".

I want to rip BR movies but with the media so high it ain't worth it.

maebach
08-03-2007, 03:42 AM
Only $480 ;)

What, for a modded a PS3? Where are they?

When they do come out, firmware updates can "fix it".

I want to rip BR movies but with the media so high it ain't worth it.

word

PoOki
08-05-2007, 08:00 PM
I think you should buy it.. That PS3 is a great thing :)

MaaxHimself
08-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Buy it if your going to take advantage of the Blu-Ray player,
If your going to use it just for games, stick with an Xbox 360.

Sin4pz
08-05-2007, 08:17 PM
As soon as the cost comes down to around $300.
Thats the most i would spend on a console. Anything
else is a serious indulgence.

silent h3ro
08-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Right now Xbox 360 is a smarter choice.

Busyman™
08-07-2007, 02:57 AM
Right now Xbox 360 is a smarter choice.

Own one already.

I'm even thinking about buying the 360 HD-DVD player.:frusty:

It's $180

comes with remote

King Kong

and you also get 5 free HD-DVDs

On both the PS3 and HD-DVD I have 'till the end of Sept to decide.

Now I'm going on another vacation to Florida so I don't have money to spare. I'ma be hurtin'.:(

AmpeD
08-09-2007, 12:53 AM
I'd still wait about 6 months to blu-ray is more dominant and the ps3 has fewer issues. I know 2 people that had em and they both broke

Busyman
08-24-2007, 05:36 PM
I bought one 2 days ago and haven't opened the box yet.:dry:

TMJ
08-25-2007, 03:47 AM
For sure. Sony makes great systems.