PDA

View Full Version : Windows Messenger Pop-ups

TONY666
06-23-2003, 01:16 AM
CAN ANYONE GIVE SOME INFO ON THESE STUPID POP-UPS THAT SEEM TO COME OUT OF NOWHERE RECENTLY DL MSN BETA MESSENGER THEN THEY ARRIVED SOMETIMES THERES LIKE 20 EACH MORNIN TRIED PUTTIN FIREWALL UP BUT THAT ONLY SCREWS UP OTHER THINGS ON COMP I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP THANX :rolleyes:

Xilo
06-23-2003, 01:23 AM
Suggestion, if you want help with something, never ever post in all caps...

TONY666
06-23-2003, 01:35 AM
sorry xilo used to havin caps on kinda new to forum :unsure:

Xilo
06-23-2003, 01:44 AM
Ok good, now are they actual messages from MSN Messenger? Or are they just big text messages on a little window with no graphics?

TONY666
06-23-2003, 01:49 AM
just big text messages in gray some even refer how to stop them but theyre subscription based

Xilo
06-23-2003, 01:52 AM
From Maximum PC:

I have a PC with XP Home edition on it and a cable modem connection to the Internet. Every 15 minutes or so, I get a message from Messenger that's an advertisement of some kind being broadcast to my IP address. Is their any way of stopping these messages from popping up?

Spamming people with the Messenger app built into Windows is the newest, lamest attempt to get people to "increase their penis size" or "work from home." To stop the spam you have two options: Either install a firewall, such as Zone alarm (www.zonelabs.com), or turn off the Messenger service. Note that the Messenger service is different from the Windows Messenger instant messaging client. The service is used by system administrators and some system utilities, but it's safe to disable it on most home machines.

To turn it off, open the Services panels by going to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Scroll down until you find the Messenger service. Right-click it, and select Properties. Then change the Startup Type to Manual. Press the Stop button to shut down the service, and press OK to save your settings.

That's all you have to do to stop the messenger spam.

TONY666
06-23-2003, 01:57 AM
thanx alot will try this

Xilo
06-23-2003, 02:09 AM
NP :)

gbfan
06-23-2003, 05:31 AM
excellent tip man i needed that and just FYI if you have xp in its default category view you have to go to Control Panel->Performance and Maintenance->Administrative tools

dgmortal
07-03-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Xilo@22 June 2003 - 20:52
From Maximum PC:

I have a PC with XP Home edition on it and a cable modem connection to the Internet. Every 15 minutes or so, I get a message from Messenger that's an advertisement of some kind being broadcast to my IP address. Is their any way of stopping these messages from popping up?

Spamming people with the Messenger app built into Windows is the newest, lamest attempt to get people to "increase their penis size" or "work from home." To stop the spam you have two options: Either install a firewall, such as Zone alarm (www.zonelabs.com), or turn off the Messenger service. Note that the Messenger service is different from the Windows Messenger instant messaging client. The service is used by system administrators and some system utilities, but it's safe to disable it on most home machines.

To turn it off, open the Services panels by going to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Scroll down until you find the Messenger service. Right-click it, and select Properties. Then change the Startup Type to Manual. Press the Stop button to shut down the service, and press OK to save your settings.

That's all you have to do to stop the messenger spam.
if you want to be guaranteed that you will never see the pop-ups again, you should set the start-up of messenger service to "disabled", not "manual". ;)