PDA

View Full Version : Front audio not working?

Vamp
07-30-2007, 03:59 PM
My PC has a front USB, speaker and microphone port like most. I have a 5.1 system hooked up to the back ports, but now that I'm working with music production and I use two systems for monitoring audio, I'd like to be able to easily switch between the two.

Plugging my headphones into the front audio ports achieves nothing no...The software connected sensor doesn't detect anything in there, and no speaker I plug in through the front ports work....Am I doing anything wrong?

clocker
07-30-2007, 04:08 PM
Are the front ports actually connected to the motherboard/soundcard?
Many aren't.

lynx
07-30-2007, 05:42 PM
My initial thoughts are the same as clocker's, assuming it isn't a pre-built system (and even there's a possibility that's the case), or that they are wired back-to-front.

Your motherboard will almost certainly have a 10-pin front-audio connector. By default these usually come with jumpers connnecting ping 5-6 and 9-10. Your case probably has 7 single wires (with pin-header plugs) to connect the front panel microphone ans speaker connections.

You need to connect/check the following pins

MIC-L or MIC
Ground
MIC-R or MIC Power
N/C
Right Out
Right Return
N/C
No Pin
Left Out
Left Return

If plugging your headphones into the socket switches off the sound from the rear ports but doesn't give output at the front then you may have output and return (5-6 and 9-10) reversed.

Note also, the ground pin(2) is common for all the other pins, so if that's not connected the other pins will have no effect (although shutting off the rear audio would still be effective).

harrycary
08-02-2007, 12:06 AM
on the past 2 mobos I've used the onboard rear audio outputs have a dual use.

if you plug 5.1 speakers into those rear jacks, the mobo may automatically recognize the need for a 5.1 signal.
(otherwise your audio driver configuration utility may come into play)

this may be why your front audio jack isn't working.

try disconnecting the speaker system you have plugged into the rear of your PC and see if the front jack begins to work.

my .02¢

sangos
08-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Are the front ports actually connected to the motherboard/soundcard?
Many aren't.

i think he is right cuz sometimes shop stories just put the MB in the CPU and Plug the Power and the Restart buttons only and dont care for any thing else

so before starting downloadin any thing or contact any one check this first !!!