PDA

View Full Version : Xp Security

Storm
06-25-2003, 07:52 PM
i thought the normal XP security would cut it, but somehow my brother was able 2 change his account from "user with restricted access" 2 an administrator account........

how is this possible???? and how do i make it so he can under no circumstances get beyond the restrictions i gave him (he doesnt no all that much bout computers, so it shouldnt be that hard.........

vivitron 15
06-25-2003, 09:14 PM
are you sure he didn't obtain your password??

Storm
06-25-2003, 09:21 PM
pretty sure.......... no way he coulda guessed that........ its not even near obvious............

Xilo
06-25-2003, 09:28 PM
You can do whatever you want with the accounts if you have a Windows 2000 cd handy...I forgot exactly what you need to do, been forever since i tried it.

balamm*
06-25-2003, 10:02 PM
You can try hiding the control panel and other services with Tweak UI.
You can also password tweak UI so he can't change that at least.
If he's smarter than you think, he may be still be able to call it from a run command though.

4play
06-25-2003, 10:42 PM
there are loads of ways to do this

shatter attack and the win 2000 boot cd trick spring to mind but i bet he just changed his status when you left yourself logged in ;)

Storm
06-25-2003, 10:49 PM
whats tweak UI????? and hes not dumb........... hes just average wit computers......... and he can definetly not hack it........... isnt there some known loophole in winXP????

balamm*
06-25-2003, 11:41 PM
Tweak UI

Google> kick me to fosi < look for Pirates Cove.

scroll down to the warez section and click on links 2,3,or 4. give it a minute to redirect. If it won&#39;t download, relax your firewall for a second.

When you open tweak ui , there&#39;s a file included that you copy and paste into the windows folder. Not in the program file or system 32 like most, just in windows itself. Close Tweak UI and reopen it and it&#39;s registered. There&#39;s a bunch of tweaks and changes you can make and it&#39;ll hide sensitive controls and menus with passwording.

ricochet
06-26-2003, 01:30 AM
I wonder if this would help you... It lets you password potect your control panel...
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm ;)

H2S04
06-26-2003, 08:50 PM
Sorry only 2 ways this happened under normal circumstances, I said Normal There are work arounds that require a little more knowledge..Above

A: You left your self longed in with no screensaver password enabling your brother to escalate his account, or removed his old and made a new.

B: You have no Administrator Password and he logged in under that or in Safe mode, again with no password its wide open.

Tweak UI is avaible from MS, Under XP Power Toys.

You should just grab him by the head and smack just a little, and disable simple fire sharing so you can asign individual folder rights to you and you only.

Just My 2 Cents Though

Wolfmight
06-27-2003, 02:56 AM
well in both accounts.. u still have the ability to delete random C:&#092;Windows system files... not good (it should ask for a password when a limited account tries to get into tha folder)

shn
06-30-2003, 07:05 AM
A simple solution for this does not reside in third party software. Any administration task for access restrictions pertaining to other users can be handled in the "mmc" using the group policy snap-in and the local users and groups policy snap-in. And no you dont have to be on a windows domain to do this. just go to start and get a run box and type in mmc and hit enter.

Oh yeah and mmc is for "microsoft management console"