PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with road runner?

LiMuBai
08-01-2007, 04:05 AM
Does anyone here use road runner for newsgroup downloads? what speeds do you usually get. my max dl is about 650 KB/s when i download from torrent sites but i rarely get that when downloading from newsgroups. i usually get about 250-300 from newsgroup downloads with 4 connections. what're ur experiences with road runner. do they limit newsgroup download speed for you also.

i'm not complaining though because those are pretty good speeds for a free service but just wanted to know if other ppl were getting similar speeds.

Athlon64
08-01-2007, 06:56 AM
I'm not quite maxing out my 10Mbps with only 4 connections so I'm only pulling in about 7.5-8Mbps. It's pretty good for free and so far I haven't ran into any capping or download limit issues, so I'm happy! :) Just encase your wondering the most I've ever downloaded was about 600+GB. Retention is also great, the oldest file I've downloaded so far has been 100 days, but that was a few months back so I don't know if that's still the case.

Skiz
08-01-2007, 08:30 AM
I'm in Austin and used to use my RR news service almost constantly. The highest speeds I've seen with it are around 820, though normally max at around 800. I used to see frequent irregularities in speeds so I eventually went to Newshosting and then on to Giganews, where I currently have an account.

LiMuBai
08-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the input guys. So its not just me who's not maxing out their speeds. I think the speed fluctuates probably because their newsgroup service is free and im sure amazing number of people use it, especially in a crowded place as my neighborhood. yea, i get the same great retention of about 100 days also. I try not to download too much so they won't start capping my speeds or downloads. maybe about 100 gigs max per month.

Skiz
08-01-2007, 08:00 PM
I don't think very many users are utilizing it. Probably has more to do with how RR prioritizes their bandwidth.

Also, not sure if you have the same limits as me, but I've downloaded an incredible amount of data in a month and was never "capped" or warned.

Just my two pennies.

aburyach
08-04-2007, 01:00 AM
Always max around 835kB/s, great ISP.

treex2
08-04-2007, 05:39 AM
I'm in the DFW area with RR's 10Mbps Down, 1Mbps Up service.

For newsgroups I can get a max of 20connections, and I average around 700-800kB/s. I think the highest I have gotten is ~1,200kB/s. I use alt binz btw. And the oldest file I have gotten was 93days old.

I have a problem with RR when it comes to torrents. Since sometime in June, I have been unable to seed my files. If I am downloading a file, I will have no problems seeding it. When I'm done downloading it however, I can't seed it anymore. And in uTorrent, the green circle turns back into a yellow triangle. I have encryption turned on, and my port is properly forwarded too. Anyone else get this problem?

LiMuBai
08-04-2007, 05:49 AM
wow. 20 connections is alot. i get max of 4 connections. i haven't had any seeding problems with RR but i use azureus. it seems like the seeding problem might be software related. have you tried any other clients or different versions of utorrent?

Athlon64
08-04-2007, 06:30 AM
20 connections! WHAT THE FUCK!

Not that I don't believe you but I'm going to dig around a little and see if I can find any info on this. I can only get 4 and if I try anymore they always fail. :( I'm sure if I had at least 8 I could max out my connection.

Skiz
08-04-2007, 09:16 AM
What's the difference in connections as long as you're maxing out?

I use 3 connections with RR and max out.

Racket
08-04-2007, 10:33 PM
What's the difference in connections as long as you're maxing out?

I use 3 connections with RR and max out.

ISP's can cap the bandwidth per connection for newsgroups. I know my did so I had to go for a premium news service.

SpiderPig
08-05-2007, 01:29 AM
I'm in NC, and I'd like to know how to get newsgroups set up with RR.. Never got into it, and I really don't have any idea what it is

Skiz
08-05-2007, 01:31 AM
I'm in NC, and I'd like to know how to get newsgroups set up with RR.. Never got into it, and I really don't have any idea what it is

Add me on MSN and I can walk you through the basics.

SpiderPig
08-05-2007, 01:34 AM
Ok, what's your MSN?

Btw, is this service free? ;)

Skiz
08-05-2007, 01:35 AM
Ok, what's your MSN?

Btw, is this service free? ;)

MSN link is next to my flag.

Yes, it's free.

SpiderPig
08-05-2007, 01:37 AM
Coolio

Gratzi

treex2
08-06-2007, 02:09 AM
I can't get 20 connections right off the bat. When I press connect in alt binz, I will get 8-10 connections. The rest will just say "400 roadrunner.com: Your host connection limit reached - [email protected]" under description. Then alt binz will just run down the timer to reconnect. After a minute or so I will have 20 working connections. I haven't been able to get any higher than 20.

What service level are you guys getting from RR? I'm paying for the top residential service available to me... maybe that has something to do with it?

@darkrival
I haven't installed any new software or hardware to my computer since March. uTorrent was working perfectly fine then. The seeding problems just started in late June. I was reading about how RR was going to be throttling their connections in July on Broadband Reports and thought it was related. But this is beyond normal throttling since only my uploading is affected.

I'm gonna install Azureus tonight and test it out. And maybe I'll update my uTorrent. I'm still using 1.6.1 because a few sites I use banned 1.7.2.

Skiz
08-06-2007, 02:24 AM
Also, anyone with RoadRunner should check out their "Turbo" service in your area.

Athlon64
08-06-2007, 05:20 AM
It's called "Extreme" (which I have) in my area and that's the absolute fastest tier that can be had at the present moment. Clearly every market is different.

Skiz
08-06-2007, 05:27 AM
It's called "Extreme" (which I have) in my area and that's the absolute fastest tier that can be had at the present moment. Clearly every market is different.

I checked it out in my area this morning. For an additional $9.95/month I could upgrade to a 10Mbps/1Mbps connection.

Once on the phone though, I discovered that it was a special they were offering customers who also had digital phone service (which I don't). I still could have gotten the connection, but it would cost me $89/month. :pinch:

SpiderPig
08-06-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm using the regular one (30 bucks per month for like 2 years)..

I put the max connections up (32), and there is no connection errors with roadrunner.. until at night for some reason. I tried to download a DVDr movie from newsgroups, and when I went to check this morning (I'm at work right now), the ones that weren't downloading last night all had connection errors..

Also, when I was downloading Mission Impossible III from Merlins-Portal, 3 "articles were not found." =\

Evil Fish
08-12-2007, 05:17 AM
i used to get 600-800 but for about a month now it's been right around 100-200. i'd really like to know why. i'm thinking about calling them on monday.

LiMuBai
08-12-2007, 05:45 AM
yea. i think they cap their news-servers somehow when you use use them alot. i remember my speed went down when i was downloading loads of 360 games but it went back to normal after i didnt download for a while.

Skiz
08-12-2007, 05:48 AM
yea. i think they cap their news-servers somehow when you use use them alot. i remember my speed went down when i was downloading loads of 360 games but it went back to normal after i didnt download for a while.

It may depend on where you're located. I know in Austin, there was no cap, though the speeds were rather inconsistent.

newcster68
08-15-2007, 02:12 PM
20 connections! WHAT THE FUCK!

Not that I don't believe you but I'm going to dig around a little and see if I can find any info on this. I can only get 4 and if I try anymore they always fail. :( I'm sure if I had at least 8 I could max out my connection.

Correcto Mundo! Roadrunner here just sent me an email advising the improvements done to their newsgroup and speeds. So I cleared my cache and unsubscribed and then subscribed and walla. Speeds doubled and I went from 12 connections to 20 connections.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/newcster68/FILESHARINGTALK/roadrunner.png

audyo
08-18-2007, 09:00 PM
I am in west texas, and with alt.binz, and connections between 5-10, I always max at EXACTLY 600kb. I can get way faster speeds with torrent, but why bother. Roadrunner is awesome, and I hope they leave their service untouched because right now it rocks. I also noticed that I have 120 day retention time which is great.

I also thought speeds were handled by newshosting, not roadrunner throttling, but just guessing.

fantasyx72
08-19-2007, 10:32 PM
I MAX OUT AROUND 30-40MBbps

marcolisi
08-27-2007, 12:50 AM
Hello guys, I live in NYC , manhattan and I have road runner cable service.
Could u please tell me hat is the server address that I should use for the newsgroup ?
Is this one :

news-server.nyc.rr.com

Do I need sone username:password , because for the regular internet connection I do not use any us:passw ??

Is still fast ??

thank u

n18
08-27-2007, 01:25 AM
Hello guys, I live in NYC , manhattan and I have road runner cable service.
Could u please tell me hat is the server address that I should use for the newsgroup ?
Is this one :

news-server.nyc.rr.com

Do I need sone username:password , because for the regular internet connection I do not use any us:passw ??

Is still fast ??

thank u

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11264 you're right about the address. And you probably need an id and password, which will be the same one for your email address for roadrunner, if there even if one...In my case with verizon dsl i don't need id or password to connect to the internet, but if I would chose to install their programs it also signs you up or logs you in.

If you get it working, can you post back your success, such as oldest files on servers and the speeds your getting...at the moment i get speeds ranging form 80-340kb/s ( which i guess depends on server load, and retention is only 9 days...So if RR has better newsgroups I'd wanna switch right away.

marcolisi
08-27-2007, 02:07 AM
Ok , I tryied the server , but with no username and paasford and my speed decresed a lot in compoarison with my pay premium server.

With free rr , I get 75kBps
with pay server I get 399 KBps and much more

I was wondering what are the speed of the other rr user

thank u

marcolisi
08-28-2007, 02:52 AM
hey guys,

I checked again tonight the rr newserver and woooo 750 kBps........so I am wondering why to pay for a premium newsserver , when I could use my IPS newsserver ???

thanku very much

n18
08-28-2007, 03:56 AM
nice speeds, can you report back once u use it a little more to say how often u get those high speeds compared to lower ones...like on weekends/weeknights...it would be very appreciated.

marcolisi
08-28-2007, 04:25 AM
right now , nyc 12:26 pm is 800 KB/s 20 connections... I can tell u that it ranges beetween 700-800 kB/s.... for my standards it is superfast...I love it

n18
09-01-2007, 02:43 AM
right now , nyc 12:26 pm is 800 KB/s 20 connections... I can tell u that it ranges beetween 700-800 kB/s.... for my standards it is superfast...I love itHey bro, what program did you use, I'm using Grabit and I only get 3 connections ( I switched to roadrunner, but they gave me a normal modem, and i needed wireless gonna drive down to their center in Queens and try get it replaced)

marcolisi
09-02-2007, 01:19 AM
I have the digital cable+modem cable.
I use alt.binz

n18
09-02-2007, 04:13 AM
Alright, but the bastards @ Time Warner don't provide routers or modems with wireless unless you have them come in and install it for you for a fee, :( Speeds are great though, got 1mb/s on torrents, and 1mb/s when i was updating groups. Very Happy/

marcolisi
09-02-2007, 11:06 PM
which torrent sites do u use to search/download files ??

As client I use utorrent

What do u use for search ??

thank u

psxcite
09-03-2007, 01:54 AM
You pay for a premium newserver for the rentention. Roadrunner has a 2 or 3 day max on the major groups. For instance, alt.binaries.dvdr - try and grab something that was posted a week ago. You can't.

n18
09-03-2007, 04:44 AM
which torrent sites do u use to search/download files ??

As client I use utorrent

What do u use for search ??

thank u I use utorrent too, but that doesn't really matter. What matters is the tracker, private trackers have plentiful seeders because everyone wants a nice ratio, i got 1mb/s on a free leech torrent on bit-hdtv, but almost everything you'll find on a decent private tracker will be seeded to death basically :)

You pay for a premium newserver for the rentention. Roadrunner has a 2 or 3 day max on the major groups. For instance, alt.binaries.dvdr - try and grab something that was posted a week ago. You can't. From what i noticed, retention is determined by the number of articles, like alt.binaries.boneless only has like a couple hour retention because of the sheer number of articles, the one I primarily focus on is alt.binaries.hdtv.x264 which had like a 10 day retention which is more than enough for me, so I'm rather satisfied.

marcolisi
09-04-2007, 12:54 AM
Hi, how do u search files into alt.binaries.hdtv.x264 for usenet use???

What I mean to find files onalt.binaries.hdtv.x264 and download them , how do u do ??
What program do u use?
thank u

n18
09-04-2007, 09:14 PM
I use grabit. it allows me to update the groups which i subscribe to which all the files available, then i can select what i want and start downloading, i believe you can do that on newsleecher too. heres a picture http://www.wintips.nl/files/scr/grabit.jpg
on the left you got all the groups you subscribe to like binaries.hdtv.x264 and on the right you got the articles in that particular group.

marcolisi
09-06-2007, 01:24 AM
Thank u very much.
How do I know which group is wort subscribe to??

thank u very much

n18
09-06-2007, 01:49 AM
Thank u very much.
How do I know which group is wort subscribe to??

thank u very much

you can list them by the number of articles they have, if you click the tab where it says "articles" the bigger ones have most files and are most worthwhile to look through...but stay away from alt.binaries.boneless on rr newsgroups because retention is like a couple hours haha.

marcolisi
09-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Hey guys,
could u select SSL in your rr server setup?
I use alt.binz and it seems to me that whenever I select SSL , the download stop.
Does rr free server support SSL ??

thank u

ada_potato
10-29-2007, 12:51 AM
Im getting approx. 750-840 kbps from RR with Grabit.
I configured Grabit for approx 14 connections.

sdofirst1
10-29-2007, 04:55 AM
I have 6 connections at a time w/download speed of 300-400kb/sec. So far unlimitted and I have no complaint. I usually start at midnight and let it go.

psxcite
10-29-2007, 05:08 AM
Hi, how do u search files into alt.binaries.hdtv.x264 for usenet use???

What I mean to find files onalt.binaries.hdtv.x264 and download them , how do u do ??
What program do u use?
thank u

You can browse the group without downloading headers or subscribing. Just use an index search engine like binsearch.info.

Use "browse newsgroups" and you can look at what's availbale in the group, create your own nzb and download what you like.

freeinvites
10-29-2007, 07:36 PM
olklk

ada_potato
10-30-2007, 12:42 AM
To get started Google WinRaR and download it.(it's like Winzip)

Download "Grabit" newsgroup browser

For the server in Grabit use:(news-server.socal.rr.com) or can use other RR servers across USA-Google for them

"subscribe" (it's free) to an alt.binaries group in Grabit(select one with mp3 in name). there's one with "completecd" in name -that's good.

Setup Grabit for 10-20 connections.

join "Merlins Portal" (google it)

you can then in Merlins(select NZB section) and browse or search, hit "download now"
It will come up with dialog box to open with WinRaR-select "ok"--Another box will come up double-click the NZB file-it will launch Grabit and throw files associated with that NZB into Grabit and start downloading them-see batch tab in Grabit.
This took me about 10 days to figure out.
Google any questions you have--"what is a NZB file", etc.
Let us know how it goes.
There are many ways to get to newsgroups, this is just one way and one program-there are many.

freeinvites
10-30-2007, 01:55 AM
lpopop

ada_potato
10-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Here's a Grabit guide:

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-newsgroups-79/t-newsgroups-guide-grabit-69159

Your download speed will vary depending on network traffic.
The speeds people post are just "bragging rights"--many times it will be slower than stated. If your getting 655kbs, that's fine. I would imagine it doesn't matter too much which RR server you connect to. I'm in Ohio and connect to southern California server. The thing to keep in mind is how long files are kept on the servers. This is called retention times. You can pay monthly for access to servers that will retain files for up to 200 days. You'll have to research that more if you get hardcore into newsgroups. I'm at work, so I can't bring up my Grabit, but just go into some of the menus and take your time looking at config. details. I think you'll find setup info on amount of connections.

freeinvites
10-30-2007, 06:56 PM
delete

ZenFountain
11-06-2007, 10:45 AM
All you other assholes using RR's servers need to stop! The speeds are getting really awful during peak house. I have been using them since they outsourced and the situation has become progressively worse. A year ago maxing out my 7mbit line was no problem with 8 connections. When I got upgraded to 10mbit in March, 8 connections was still plenty. Then this summer shit got quite awful and I had to go up to 20 connections just to pull 5-7mbit (500-800kbps) during peak hours and max speed (1200kbps) during off-peak. You can go higher than 20 connections but in my experience there is no return. I'm guessing newshosting has their RR accounts on a low priority line so the more users there are, the slower the speeds are. The other possibility is newshosting uses ghetto bandwidth like Cogent that is always shit during peak hours. At any rate I hope RR doesn't wise up and shut down this gravy train. I would advise trying to keep it on the down low and not telling every swinging dick out there how to get free access to the greatest treasure chest on the net.

wlewarski
12-02-2007, 04:18 AM
ive been having having trouble with northeast ohio newsgroup ive been using news-server.roadrunner.com.................is there another address i can use

wlewarski
12-03-2007, 12:22 AM
im not complaining.im asking a question.duh

does anyone know another newsgroup address for northeast ohio besides news-server.roadrunner.com.if theres another address please let me know

wlewarski
12-03-2007, 03:28 AM
thanks im from the cleveland area.ill try and see if these work

works great , thanks

toasted
02-22-2008, 03:16 PM
What was that cleveland area newsgroup server for roadrunner again.

Mee2
02-22-2008, 05:22 PM
You pay for a premium newserver for the rentention. Roadrunner has a 2 or 3 day max on the major groups. For instance, alt.binaries.dvdr - try and grab something that was posted a week ago. You can't.

I get the crappy retention if I use a newsreader to try and download but if I have the nzb I get about 100 days even for the big groups. I think the server only allows you to download headers that go a few days back. I'm in San Antonio and I max my bandwidth even with 1 connection, 10mbit.

Time Warner is testing a pay for amount of download. They are running trials in Beaumont.. I hope they never use that.. i leech 1TB+ every month..