PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma

Skweeky
08-03-2007, 05:19 PM
I don't know what to do :(

Stay in Scotland where I've got my life up and running but don't really have that many friends and where, frankly, the opening laws and neds are doing my nut in.

Move to Belgium and having to start from scratch, find a job for a husband who doesn't speak any Dutch but have all my friends and family there. Plus it would mean gemo would have to leave all his mates:cry:

International marriages are fucking hard to maintain at times

:frusty:

Alien5
08-03-2007, 05:48 PM
move to Belgium via Amsterdam

zapjb
08-03-2007, 07:30 PM
This sounds nuts as I'm saying it in my head. But here goes.

Pick a 3rd country where you're both fish out of water (strangers).

Might help you both help each other equally.

Sextent
08-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Move to as decent area of Scotland and work out what cheap sleazyjet flights are available in advance. It takes no time at all to get to Holland and if you book well in advance it is v cheap.

Skweeky
08-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Yeah but I don't have unlimited holidays to take each year

scofield
08-03-2007, 07:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubOGTrn5gZg

Barbarossa
08-03-2007, 10:25 PM
It's a tough one.

I can't think of any advice that isn't blindingly obvious.

You've got to do what's best for yours and Mr. Skweeky's future happiness. Maybe Zapjb has the best idea.

I don't really know. Sorry. :(

Skweeky
08-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Na... the point is that I miss my family and friends, but if we move to Belgium it would be him missing his family and friends.

No easy solution :shrug:

Suppose we could live in one country for a few years and then move back and just keep doing that :huh:

Busyman™
08-03-2007, 11:21 PM
How long have you lived where you are? If it hasn't been that long, give it more time.

Make new friends. The language barrier for your hubby is a killer.

I wouldn't recommend moving somewhere totally neutral to you and your husband where you know no one.

At the very least, in either of your hometowns your/his friends can be his/your friends.

Moving somewhere brand spanking new would just make both of you miserable (unless you tend to make friends quickly).

I have this dilemma regarding retirement. I could sell my home up here and move down south and live like the king's boss.

I won't know anyone though and would have to rely on my great charm and wit to make new friends.:dabs: I've made good friends with folks I've met on all my vacations that still either visit and talk to to this day.

If you are an outgoing person I don't see a problem with making new friends.

Busyman™
08-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Na... the point is that I miss my family and friends, but if we move to Belgium it would be him missing his family and friends.

No easy solution :shrug:

Suppose we could live in one country for a few years and then move back and just keep doing that :huh:

Won't that hurt the steady job doohicky?

How long do you normally stay in one job?

Biggles
08-04-2007, 12:38 AM
I think it is a normal "Oh Chebus this is my life" post marriage nerves Skweeks. It doesn't just affect people from different countries - you can move towns and lose touch with lots of old friends.

There is plenty of time to move, develop careers, find places with fewer Neds, make new friends. These things occur naturally as time passes. Also if you decide to go down the family route then you end up in a whole new additional social circle.

SpiderPig
08-04-2007, 01:58 AM
America!

Or you can just stay in Scotland and make friends! ;) and have friends visit!

Seedler
08-04-2007, 02:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubOGTrn5gZg

Since when did gangstas stopped living in teh ghetto.

They aren't supposed to live in houses/apartments bigger than 300 sq. ft. :dabs:

thewizeard
08-04-2007, 05:05 AM
I'm prejudiced Skweeky, so I shall keep my opinion to myself!

thewizeard
08-04-2007, 05:08 AM
move to Belgium via Amsterdam

This is a good suggestion I will give it a 8 :)

Skweeky
08-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Thing that's bothering me the most is the matter of having kids.

I just don't know if I would manage to have a baby and deal with the first few months without having my mum and my other family around :cry:

It's a bit weird, as I come from a really big family and I don't want my kids to miss out on that.

Something Else
08-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Stay with bonnie old Scotland. It maybe be a depressing place, but once you find the wee magic it's bliss love :D