View Full Version : MPAA: Damage Caused By Uploader Can’t Be Measured in Money. Now Give Us Money

Hairbautt
08-04-2007, 11:27 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/Hairbautt/News%20Images/MPAA.jpg"According to the MPAA, a file-sharer who uploaded three movies to the internet caused damage so great it caused them an ‘irreperable injury that cannot fully be compensated or measured in money’. Despite cash being completely inadequate to solve this 3-movie download armageddon, the MPAA is having a go anyway - demanding damages, costs and fees."

"The MPAA just filed a lawsuit alleging that a resident of Rome made illegal copies of, and also uploaded - three movies to the internet using an "online media distribution system", probably BitTorrent.

According to the report, no address was given for Mr James Wilson - the man accused by the MPAA of ‘willful and intentional’ copyright infringement. According to them, he made unauthorized copies of just three movies - ‘Hide and Seek’, ‘House of Wax’ and ‘Robots’ and uploaded them to the internet.

According to the lawsuit, the Plaintiffs (Warner Brothers and Twentieth Century Fox), "bring this action to stop defendant from copying and distributing to others over the Internet unauthorized copies of the Plaintiff’s copyright motion pictures[.]"

Noting that there was no financial motivation to the infringement it continues: "Defendant’s infringements allow Defendant and others to unlawfully obtain and distribute for free unauthorized copyright works that the plaintiffs spend millions of dollars to create and/or distribute[.]"

The MPAA knows a thing or two about drama, it’s their business after all, so when assessing the trouble Mr Wilson had caused them by sharing 3 movies, they told it straight: "Defendant’s conduct is causing, and unless enjoined and restrained by this Court will continue to cause, the Plaintiffs great and irreparable injury that cannot be compensated or measured in money[.]"

Of course, that doesn’t stop the MPAA trying to measure the costs: aside from demanding that any copies of the movies are destroyed (3 DVDRs I guess) they want substantial damages and costs for bringing the legal action.

Incidentally, the movie ‘House of Wax’ was also listed in the 2005 MPAA press release [Available for download - visit source] proclaiming the demise of EliteTorrents- so when the MPAA talks about ‘injury that cannot be compensated or measured in money’ I wonder if they’re thinking of how the last 6 months have been for Scott McCausland, sitting in prison.

And he shared just one movie."

:source: Source: TorrentFreak (http://torrentfreak.com/mpaa-damage-caused-by-uploader-cant-be-measured-in-money-now-give-us-money/)

Melvinmeow
08-05-2007, 12:33 AM
This seems to be an old story or something. All 3 movies listed in here have been out for a long time. Or did it just take this long for them to track down and get a court date or something?

Hairbautt
08-05-2007, 12:38 AM
I'll ask.

Racket
08-05-2007, 01:08 AM
It was probably Dr. Gregory House; he's always using Wilson.

tesco
08-05-2007, 03:28 PM
:drummer:

TheFoX
08-05-2007, 07:52 PM
These people continually complain about how much revenue that they are losing. What balderdash...

In other markets, losses caused through pilfering, shoplifting and other crimes are recuperated by charging more for the services offered, to the genuine consumer.

There is no way on Earth that I would believe that the member companies of the MPAA do not pass on this loss to their consumers. Piracy may dent their wallets, but they will never go short because they will ensure that they have a pricing plan that compensates them for this shortfall. In the mean time, any cases they win can be considered a bonus.

Lets be completely blunt. If they were honestly losing what they claim they are losing a year, they would not be able to continue funding new material, or new artists. The fact that they still exist is proof that they are recouping their loses through other means.

beat
08-05-2007, 08:03 PM

:glag:

metal maniac
08-06-2007, 04:20 AM
House of Wax give me a break that movie sucked badly.They should pay us to watch that crap!!!:angry:

GoLDeN
08-06-2007, 09:41 AM
House of Wax give me a break that movie sucked badly.They should pay us to watch that crap!!!:angry:

u r so wright

nless00
08-07-2007, 10:01 PM
This people are freakin' funny.. claiming they losing huge ammount of money while I see a lot box office hit rank big buck like harry potter have made Worldwide: $772,654,623 transformers Worldwide: $594,023,063...

bah..

Brenya
08-09-2007, 04:27 AM
In other markets, losses caused through pilfering, shoplifting and other crimes are recuperated by charging more for the services offered, to the genuine consumer.

There is no way on Earth that I would believe that the member companies of the MPAA do not pass on this loss to their consumers. Piracy may dent their wallets, but they will never go short because they will ensure that they have a pricing plan that compensates them for this shortfall. In the mean time, any cases they win can be considered a bonus.

You have a point. Assuming they are loosing a substantial amount of money from filesharing, the MPAA must be subtly rising the price of their products to compensate.

However, that does not lessen the severity of the crime. Just because the MPAA is not currently loosing money because of the predefined crime, does not mean that in the future the business will not loose money.

Think about it. If this were to continue, the MPAA would end up loosing money. As the MPAA continued to jack up their prices, less consumers would be willing to purchase their merchandise, be it a ticket to the movies or a DVD.

So you have a point that they currently are not loosing money; but like any other good business, they (not to mention the judicial system) have the long-term damages in mind.