PDA

View Full Version : encryption

colonblow87
08-05-2007, 07:47 PM
I have been using Newshosting for quite some time now and generally, have been pleased with their service, retention, and most of all their price. As anyone does, on occasion, I worry about getting a letter from the MPAA or RIAA. My question concerns the use of encryption for downloads so they cannot be monitored. Newhosting does not offer encryption and Giganews does. The price difference is 5 bucks per month between the two. Is encryption, as well as better retention, worth the price difference? Is encryption alone worth the extra price?

Racket
08-06-2007, 03:18 AM
What price difference are you comparing to get $5 difference? I know that it costs $5 to add encryption to any of the lesser accounts (not diamond) at Giganews. The Diamond account at giganews is $19.99 for the first month only ($5 more than the highest account at newshosting) and then becomes $29.99 so it is a bit more than regular news services. I personally use UseNetServer (http://www.usenetserver.com/?agent=filesharingtalk) as they offer free 256 bit SSL included in their plans and they are relatively cheap. Encryption may be worth the piece of mind to you so I suggest weighing your options.

djkemp1
08-06-2007, 05:30 PM
newsdemon also offers ssl now its 128bit encryption and i have been told that this is fine for newsgroups

colonblow87
08-06-2007, 11:52 PM
Holy Moley... I guess I didn't realize the diamond account price was only a one month special...DUH!

Certainly, my peace of mind is not worth paying twice the amount per month for service.

Fletcher 25
Usenetserver seems like a good deal. Do you use SSL, and if you do, does it affect your download speed?

Racket
08-07-2007, 12:28 AM
Holy Moley... I guess I didn't realize the diamond account price was only a one month special...DUH!

Certainly, my peace of mind is not worth paying twice the amount per month for service.

Fletcher 25
Usenetserver seems like a good deal. Do you use SSL, and if you do, does it affect your download speed?

I use SSL (they offer 256 bit encryption) with usenetserver and speed is just fine (max of my connection 5 Mbps).

pham
08-07-2007, 03:21 AM
if you are afraid of mpaa letters just do not post. the mpaa does no have a way to monitor what is sent between you and usenet company.

Racket
08-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Just to update, colonblow87 sent me a PM saying he was switching to usenetserver.

cerote
08-13-2007, 06:42 AM
I use usenet-news and they give you ssl and it does not slow down speed at all. I get max connection the whole time.

Submission
08-14-2007, 04:15 AM
encryption on usenet is pointless for defending yourself against the riaa/mpaa.

Usenet knows what you download encrypted or not. Only purposes it serves is if your ISP monitors or is forced to monitor you.

4play
08-14-2007, 09:32 AM

Usenet knows what you download encrypted or not. Only purposes it serves is if your ISP monitors or is forced to monitor you.

not all usenet servers log what people download just the amount.

colonblow87
08-19-2007, 04:20 PM

This is true. Here is a quote from Usenetserver's FAQ.

" At Usenetserver.com, it is our goal to keep your personal information as private as possible. Our news servers remove the X-TRACE header and NNTP-posting-host header, thereby removing where you posted from. Other users only see from which UNS server you posted. We also do not monitor what you download. We only monitor how much you download in accordance to your chosen account. Please understand that we only see byte data and nothing else."

I will sleep better using encryption. My ISP is Roadrunner, owned by Time Warner, who coincidentally, produces movies.

It's like practicing safe sex, why take a chance?

SynsNow
08-20-2007, 03:17 PM

you may care for this:
Websites could be required to retain visitor info (http://infowars.net/articles/august2007/090807Websites.htm)

djkemp1
08-20-2007, 09:05 PM
We count every byte of information that flows from our server to your pc. This includes all files from binaries groups, text groups, and headers. We do not count transfer amounts for posts you make to groups. WE DO NOT HAVE VISIBILITY OF WHAT YOU DOWNLOAD, ONLY HOW MUCH YOU DOWNLOAD.

this also taken from FAQ for Newsdemon.

so looks pretty safe, they also offer SSL now

colonblow87
08-21-2007, 02:24 AM

you may care for this:
Websites could be required to retain visitor info (http://infowars.net/articles/august2007/090807Websites.htm)

Yikes... This could spell he end of an era! Big Brother will be looking over our shoulder.

ersatzp
08-21-2007, 02:44 AM
So SSL just encrypts the data so it's theoretically harder for the ISP to tell what you are downloading? Might be useful on some university campuses or other places where the "ISP" may closely monitor your connection.

How much does the encryption slow down your download though? I like to run a slow p3 533mhz and 256 ram box for usenet downloads so I wonder if it would bog the system down.

djkemp1
08-23-2007, 09:50 PM
so is this website logging thing going to happen?

what does it all mean?

r77
08-24-2007, 06:32 PM
How much does the encryption slow down your download though?
i use usenetserver encrypted SSL access and always download with full speed

avominex
10-06-2007, 09:01 PM
SSL encrypts data between my PC and the newsgroup servers, that is right? It is similar to the P2P clients like Azereus or UTOrrent which also gives encryption on the traffic.

The purpose of something like http://www.secure-tunnel.com is slightly different. Your request goes to secure tunnel servers first, they then forward the request to the newsgroup servers or any internet website (Zonealarm has introduced something on the similar lines, though different recently), there by your IP is not shown to anybody in the outside world. Add a few bucks for that feature.

ericab
10-10-2007, 08:29 PM
SSL encrypts data between my PC and the newsgroup servers, that is right? It is similar to the P2P clients like Azereus or UTOrrent which also gives encryption on the traffic.

The purpose of something like http://www.secure-tunnel.com is slightly different. Your request goes to secure tunnel servers first, they then forward the request to the newsgroup servers or any internet website (Zonealarm has introduced something on the similar lines, though different recently), there by your IP is not shown to anybody in the outside world. Add a few bucks for that feature.

i would NOT reccomend secure-tunnel. i signed up with them; used the vpn tunnel; and canceled my account 3 days later. i found www.findnot.com

muuuuch better :yup:

DooMeD68
10-11-2007, 11:25 AM
usenet just log the amount of bytes you download - not the particular files you download ! if ISP in the future DO monitor our habit on what we download then that will be a different matter !

kyuuchi
10-11-2007, 12:43 PM
ISP throttle P2P traffic because a large portion of users use it. But with usenet, its only a small amount of users compared to P2P users. As far as I know, I've never seen an ISP throttle newsgroup traffic and honestly, I think SSL is a bit useless atm.

asdrewq
10-11-2007, 12:58 PM
only use/pay for SSL if your ISP throttles NNTP traffic or restricts standard usenet ports. Any other reason and you are throwing money away tbh.

avominex
10-11-2007, 10:28 PM
New deal at ngroups.net

OCTOBERFEST!!!!
Recurring subscription, unlimited downloads, 12 connections,
for ONLY $9.99 (http://www.ngroups.net/?p=3) per month
for as long as you keep the subscription!
Recurring subscriptions only. Offer valid until Oct 31.
:yup:

Signed up to ngroups.net with SSL access. You have to enable SSL access from their control panel after logging onto their website. It is indeed 100 days of retention most of the time.

0ctane
10-12-2007, 09:31 PM
if you are afraid of mpaa letters just do not post. the mpaa does no have a way to monitor what is sent between you and usenet company.

they can't see through encryption it would take them 2 long to decrypt a 256bit .
Also your isp can't see wot your downloading either :)

didineedthis
10-13-2007, 06:54 AM
i use usenext "brilliant"

my 8meg connection bottoms out everytime.

they use encryption,

cheap aswell lol