PDA

View Full Version : setting seedbox....HELP!!

dreamtracker
08-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Hi to all
i buy a server remote on "softlayer"
how can setup this for seedbox?
anyone help me?:(

thx in advance :)

AugustoP
08-05-2007, 09:37 PM
If you have no idea how to set up linux box, you should probably upgrade to windows.

dreamtracker
08-05-2007, 09:42 PM
hi AugustoP

the problem is GUI
linux server no have one .....i find alternetive way
you think windows server is better?

ciao

AugustoP
08-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Actually it's quite easy to set up everything you need (torrent client and ftp) from the command line. Check the guide about setting up utorrent on leeware in Guides section, it should contain some useful info.
Use WinSCP to transfer files to your box and VNC or Putty to access the commandline.

dreamtracker
08-05-2007, 10:10 PM
thx for info
looking on guides section

NisseArne
08-05-2007, 11:58 PM
Pay the extra $ for windows as said above, your not gonna regret it if you know nothing about *nix...

KFlint
08-06-2007, 02:38 AM
If you want a gui, follow this tutorial : http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/

really easy, you have a good box, so no problem running kde on it, i run it under three users on vectoral and works like a charm

(Plus the buggyme tutorial to setup a leeware box, will work on softlayer if you run fedora)

and don't make the mistake of going on windows, if you want stability, linux is way better!

NisseArne
08-06-2007, 12:57 PM
It's possible to have a stable windows box without much tweaking. But I also prefer some flavour of *nix for servers. Alot of the crap windows gets is unjustified, you can actually run it forever if your competent :)

AugustoP
08-06-2007, 01:49 PM

really easy, you have a good box, so no problem running kde on it, i run it under three users on vectoral and works like a charm

(Plus the buggyme tutorial to setup a leeware box, will work on softlayer if you run fedora)

and don't make the mistake of going on windows, if you want stability, linux is way better!

Yeah, tell the guys running ERP and industrial-grade storage and workflow systems on Windows about stability. Stability is not about OS, its about people who manage the setup.

xmz
08-06-2007, 02:25 PM
If you're on SoftLayer, you don't have to pay extra for Windows. You can just remotely reformat it from inside the SL portal.

v150r
08-06-2007, 02:55 PM
you dont pay for windows but i think they will charge you for changing os. i could be wrong its been months i had SL box.

xmz
08-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Nope, not anymore. You can switch between them for no cost at all now.

KFlint
08-06-2007, 05:11 PM

Yeah, tell the guys running ERP and industrial-grade storage and workflow systems on Windows about stability. Stability is not about OS, its about people who manage the setup.

yeah sure...like there maybe 0,0001% of critical applications that run under windows and the rest on Unix....!

I've heard many guys here who had stability problems with their windows leaseweb box while i didn't have to make a single reboot in two months on my linux one.

NisseArne
08-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Not really... Loads and loads of megacorporations use windows servers...
Banks, governments, hospitals you name it...