PDA

View Full Version : XP Black Upgrade...is it worth it?

threelions00
08-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Hi, I am currently using XP Home Edition. Would it be worth upgrading to XP Black? I have seen a few versions about but I am still dubious about it. For example, can I just reinstall the operating system without losing everything etc?

And does it have any special system requirements? Currently, I have 512mb RAM and a P4 3.2GHz.

Any advice would be well received, thanks.

3lions.

peat moss
08-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Use XP Indego instead its more up to date and do a fresh install after backing up your files as you would loose everything . I'd upgrade the memory to 1gb it's cheap now .

threelions00
08-07-2007, 06:38 PM
ok, thanks peat, I will wait until Sept now as I will have a laptop to back things up to...the other pc I have here only has a 12GB hardrive so no hope will saving stuff on that one. I will look into some more RAM also...thanks again.

peat moss
08-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Your welcome , only way I'd try a other O/S is if I can back up my pics and important files
and if I had my drivers on a separate disk or a Win Home disk to fall back on . I was assuming you had a DVD -rw to back up your stuff ? I would only recommend a clean install it's the best .

Ya a 12 gb hdd is small these days eh ? I'm guessing you have ddr ram, speed pc2100 ? Good idea to use a software program or read your mobo manual to see what you need . When your ready post back we'll get you sorted .

raspberry1331
08-09-2007, 07:25 AM
Hi, I am currently using XP Home Edition. Would it be worth upgrading to XP Black? I have seen a few versions about but I am still dubious about it. For example, can I just reinstall the operating system without losing everything etc?

And does it have any special system requirements? Currently, I have 512mb RAM and a P4 3.2GHz.

3lions.

I don't think it worth upgrading, unless you want to play with custom themes. And while 1G indeed cannot hurt, for regular use 512M is fine. Rather buy a big (possibly external) HDD, that is also dirt cheap nowadays.

ZoorBa
08-09-2007, 03:28 PM

3lions.

I don't think it worth upgrading, unless you want to play with custom themes. And while 1G indeed cannot hurt, for regular use 512M is fine. Rather buy a big (possibly external) HDD, that is also dirt cheap nowadays.

sangos
08-13-2007, 06:25 AM
:whistling

Well Said :D:D:D

(Why Q while not adding anything :blink: )

Xp black isnt that good ( i have it and i wish i could replace it )

but i didnt use indego either so

u can always upgrade to the latest xp pro Sp2 co.

i think that will be good enough if u r not after a thing in the black version .

SAM
08-13-2007, 08:08 AM
:whistling

Well Said :D:D:D

(Why Q while not adding anything :blink: )

Xp black isnt that good ( i have it and i wish i could replace it )

but i didnt use indego either so

u can always upgrade to the latest xp pro Sp2 co.

i think that will be good enough if u r not after a thing in the black version .
i totally agree , the only good thing about xp black is the themes .so i think it's better to just upgrade to xp s2