PDA

View Full Version : Just trying to get a leg up

zodiac2752
08-07-2007, 04:37 PM
I've been trying to get invited to some of the more prestigious trackers (i.e.: FTN, SCT, & Oink) over the last few months with no luck. It seems almost impossible for someone to trade an invite to a rare tracker especially if all I have to offer are Level 2,3 trackers such as TL, Pisexy, RSR, & RevTT. It doesnt seem to matter that I have very good ratios and good bandwith, only the rarity of a tracker is considered.

How did some of you get started, which I assume everyone was new to the torrent scene at some point? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Diliman
08-07-2007, 04:41 PM
öpö

Peter North
08-07-2007, 04:41 PM
You could start like many of us strated...
Like you have lvl 2,3 and want lvl 7,8?
Nop,try your lvl´s 2,3,5 for 6 or probably 7,thats a start,you want to make a step biger then your leg...

Tokeman
08-07-2007, 04:43 PM
I kept making accounts at TB, and since most people were discouraged by the sign up process, I traded them for other things.
Unless you have a seedbox, be happy with TL, not much of a difference between the two.
Go for oink though, great community for music.

murphdog
08-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Its just like in the business world: it's who you know. You don't know anyone, you get stuck with the low end jobs at first. :]

xbawksz
08-07-2007, 04:45 PM
make some friends in other torrent sites. they'll invite you.

memike
08-07-2007, 04:47 PM
revtt is level 5 if you wanna trade an invite or your account you may get oink from someone

zodiac2752
08-07-2007, 04:56 PM
I'm not into trading accounts as I think that is kind of a cheap thing to do. I utilize all the accounts I have and I seed everything I download for at least a couple of weeks.

Although it seems that alot of people get ahead by trading accounts, but I think the Staff of those site's accounts being traded would frown down upon that.

The only other torrent sites I'd like to get on are FTN, SCT, and Oink. Besides those Im not looking for much.

It's funny, because I've been in the scene for a really long time. I ran a WHQ BBS for Vision Factory back in the Amiga days and I was a supplier for Paradigm and Razor 1911 a few years ago on the PC scene. But back in those days you could prove yourself. With torrents, it seems like hard work gets you nowhere, its all who you know, which unfortunately alot of the people I knew in the scene retired or got busted in raids over the last 5 years. Besides, most of the release groups frown upon torrent sites, although I think they are great! I never got 800kb/s on a private FTP site like I get on torrent sites.

Thanks!

SgtMajor
08-07-2007, 04:58 PM
revtt is level 5 if you wanna trade an invite or your account you may get oink from someone

Or bite the bullet, pay the cashcow RevTT for VIP status and get some invites, trade off the invites for invites equally good. you will at least get bitmetv & oink that way, then it begins, seed - be patient, get the invites, offer then for other sites, get a good portfolio - oh you get the picture.

The thing is to seed & seed and create more invites, 2 weeks or 4 weeks or 6 weeks - just be patient.

I'm not into trading accounts as I think that is kind of a cheap thing to do. I utilize all the accounts I have and I seed everything I download for at least a couple of weeks.

Although it seems that alot of people get ahead by trading accounts, but I think the Staff of those site's accounts being traded would frown down upon that.

The only other torrent sites I'd like to get on are FTN, SCT, and Oink. Besides those Im not looking for much.

It's funny, because I've been in the scene for a really long time. I ran a WHQ BBS for Vision Factory back in the Amiga days and I was a supplier for Paradigm and Razor 1911 a few years ago on the PC scene. But back in those days you could prove yourself. With torrents, it seems like hard work gets you nowhere, its all who you know, which unfortunately alot of the people I knew in the scene retired or got busted in raids over the last 5 years. Besides, most of the release groups frown upon torrent sites, although I think they are great! I never got 800kb/s on a private FTP site like I get on torrent sites.

Thanks!

Ah - my 9.6k bps amiga external bulky modem logging onto BBs just to get intro screens :)

clubzz
08-07-2007, 05:09 PM
My advice to you is stop thinking of these sites are rare or judging them by the ratingsystem.
They will come to you then :)

PabloEscobar
08-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Make friends..Have fun..Trading will get you nowhere..Its all about sharing and caring buddy

hangemhigh
08-07-2007, 05:26 PM
I got into dvdclub, revtt, wb, bit-hdtv, TB, obscura,
all from open sign ups.

kallieb
08-07-2007, 05:59 PM
For myself I have not made one single trade -- ever.

For the few invites I am able to generate I immediately give them away. If it is something I have to give, I'll give it. In turn, when I am seeking an invite I'll ask if there is someone out there kind enough to share. Sometimes I get it, sometimes not; but that's ok.

Some folks (and I'm not judging -- just stating a fact) will not give period. It is all about trading, and from what I observe, special attention is always paid to making sure that the trades are either of equal value. In these cases, to obtain access to invites in this manner you need to be prepared to trade. But, one thing I have noticed about this board is that there are equal if not greater opportunities out there to receive gifts of invites. All it takes is to ask, be honest and be respectful and polite. No one appreciates giving something to someone who is pushy or demanding.

One point was made about going to forums. I've belonged to KG for about a year now, and I noticed on their forum that they have a thread for non-members to post and request invites. It's pretty easy from what I can see.

So.... ask nice, join forums, persist, and only ask for what you WANT. Don't become a compulsive collector. Myself, I focus on finding a good tracker for different kinds of torrents: KG for obscure, Demonoid for anything I can't find on other trackers, etc etc.

As the poster said above, get to know people. Good deeds work in circles!!!

So, that's my two cents....good luck. and have fun with it.

sp0ngeb0b
08-07-2007, 06:11 PM
I just gave away my last ScT invite 2 days ago I wish I still had one because you're a rare breed on these boards deserving of an invite.

Presto
08-07-2007, 06:27 PM
kallieb, it's nice that you share & give, but you should think twice. More than often, those people, who desperately ask for your invite, will get you banned. There's too many of them.

anions
08-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Thats funny...I've only been active here for 1 week, and have oink already - great for music.

Hope you get it too:D

phantom
08-07-2007, 06:33 PM
kallieb, it's nice that you share & give, but you should think twice. More than often, those people, who desperately ask for your invite, will get you banned. There's too many of them.

This is true... u need to pay attention to who give invite... otherwise u can make a big mistake... and get baned... i agree with free sharing but take care with whom... good luck! :)

kallieb
08-07-2007, 06:40 PM
(sigh) I know you are right, but in my case I really don't have any *biggie* invites. I have given away Demonoid, Maze and SITR invites to whomever really asks. So far, these sites have not been too harsh with me, but then I've not paid too much attention to what the invitee has done.

But I would imagine as time goes by and if/when I generate invites to higher level trackers I'll have to be more careful in terms of *screening* but I do know that when the time comes to figure out what to do with my invites I know I will give them away.

What I have come to see of this site so far is that this will be the first place I'll turn to, to get advise as to how to make sure that I don't make a *bad* giveaway!

phantom
08-07-2007, 06:45 PM
u make a good choice... :)

Chewie
08-07-2007, 07:10 PM
/moved to BT section since it's general discussion

zodiac2752
08-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate the help. I will keep persisting. Thanks!

beat
08-07-2007, 11:33 PM

That's true, I lost my OiNK invites just for being a nice guy. (There's no way of getting them back is there?)

dbmp
08-08-2007, 12:38 AM
I don't think so... but in the other and, i've got some of my invites for free by asking and i'm a good user, never cheated and build a good ratio in my trackers... if it wasn't the "nice guy" i would never had then...so...don't stop helping the newbies :) but with some caution...

TCD004
08-08-2007, 01:32 AM
I never traded accounts and i have almost everything what i need... You just really need to be patient... Making friends is good way how to receive some invites ;) Even if you will be active member of some communities you can receive not just invites but VIP, Uploader or Moderator rank... So just don't worry, you will have what you want without trading, believe me ;)

dbmp
08-08-2007, 01:49 AM
Agreed ;)