PDA

View Full Version : Warning - Client stats USELESS

mbucari1
08-08-2007, 07:20 AM
Hello everyone,

I thought occurred to me this morning that the client statistics of uploads and downloads could probably be changed quite easily. I took a few minutes, and sure enough I was right! I completely faked my upload and download statistics shown in utorrent.

This has serious implications for users who use client stats as criteria for giveaways. Most of you probably assume that client stats are infallible proof of a good user, but that isn't the case. Take a look at the screen below...

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/7103/utcheatjy7.gif

It is quite probable that someone has done this before, and will again. Take care of your invites folks and give them to people you trust :)

JA
08-08-2007, 07:21 AM
Interesting.

Too bad i don't do many giveaway's anymore :(.

redMonster
08-08-2007, 07:40 AM
Agreed that you can change the down and up stats, but is it possible to do the same with the other ones like Total Running Time, No. of connections, etc? If there is not a uniform balance between running time and the up/down stats, then anyone can make out whether the stats are real or fake.

bblogs
08-08-2007, 07:53 AM
With the time you could do it in photoshop anyway, and make it impossible to tell the difference I'm sure.

There's never any guarantee with images, but I guess it's still a pretty serious problem you've pointed out the

mbucari1
08-08-2007, 07:55 AM
Agreed that you can change the down and up stats, but is it possible to do the same with the other ones like Total Running Time, No. of connections, etc? If there is not a uniform balance between running time and the up/down stats, then anyone can make out whether the stats are real or fake.I've found how to change the running time, it's just a matter of time until I find all the settings

With the time you could do it in photoshop anyway, and make it impossible to tell the difference I'm sure.

There's never any guarantee with images, but I guess it's still a pretty serious problem you've pointed out theyou're probably right about photoshop :lol:

Skiz
08-08-2007, 08:00 AM
Hello everyone,

I thought occurred to me this morning that the client statistics of uploads and downloads could probably be changed quite easily. I took a few minutes, and sure enough I was right! I completely faked my upload and download statistics shown in utorrent.

This has serious implications for users who use client stats as criteria for giveaways. Most of you probably assume that client stats are infallible proof of a good user, but that isn't the case. Take a look at the screen below...

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/7103/utcheatjy7.gif

It is quite probable that someone has done this before, and will again. Take care of your invites folks and give them to people you trust :)

It's easy as 1,2,3.

Give me any tracker screenshot and whatever stats you want it reflect. I can Photoshop it in moments where no one can tell.

Daniel
08-08-2007, 08:04 AM
There's never been any question that required screenshots can be faked, especially as people obfuscate their usernames on tracker screens this can be done easily. Anyone who can operate a browser and a text editor is able to do that, you don't even need an image editor.

I'm not worried about those possibilities though because if I think that someone might falsify his credentials, one might just stop giving away invites altogether. After all, anyone can be a cheater and have arrived at some ratios/stats in a dishonest way.

SweetT
08-08-2007, 08:06 AM
ok, but the situation is:
real faker of course can fake his Client stats perfectly. this is like a war:
one side: faker (leech, fake, ...... this kind of ppl just hurt P2P, but the number of them are small)
the other side: core sharer (great and nice ppl here, seed 24*7, always do their best)
third part: the biggest part--- normal ppl. in fact, they just dunno kind of fake or something like that. just simple dl and up.

so, the post like this(and others about fake) are really useless!
you just bring the normal ppl(third part) into fake.
ok, now, everybody knows he can fake his stats.
and acturally, you are helping fakers group.

keep this kind of shit in your own heart, or
you just bring evil to innocent ppl.

mbucari1
08-08-2007, 08:11 AM
...you just bring evil to innocent ppl.
[/B]a lil extreme, don't you think?

sear
08-08-2007, 08:33 AM
aside from changing them people can always rip them off the net or whatever there are a million screen shots out there, which is why I always feel it's better to ask people to pm user names at trackers to you so you can have a look for yourself though even that can be a trick sometimes you just have to take things on faith ;)

AugustoP
08-08-2007, 08:35 AM
No one bothers faking the screenshots.

Skiz
08-08-2007, 08:37 AM

Stick around a while. :ermm:

sear
08-08-2007, 08:41 AM

ahh, the innocence :happy:

mbucari1
08-08-2007, 08:42 AM
No one bothers faking the screenshots.I guess you wouldn't know if they did a good enough job of it ;)

Cmon
08-08-2007, 10:06 AM
I think you encourage people faking stats, too bad people can do this though, but do people really bother to make fake stats/screenshot? Even if I can do it, I won't bother to do it

KevinGarnet
08-08-2007, 11:24 AM
interesting.. thnx for info.. now i will be more careful..

mbucari1
08-08-2007, 03:09 PM
I think you encourage people faking stats...NOT AT ALL!

interesting.. thnx for info.. now i will be more careful..Finally, one person got it! Thread is not to encourage scamming nor to boast that I can scam. I just wanted people to be aware.

kamia
08-08-2007, 03:16 PM
memory editing is easier than photoshop, at least imo

mbucari1
08-08-2007, 03:25 PM
memory editing is easier than photoshop, at least imoLOL, that's kinda what I thought too :lol:

I used a hex editor, and I think that's a LOT easier than working with photoshop

saulin
08-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Ratio screenshots or stats don't mean anything to me. I will usually ask for a shot of what they are seeding and I do a check on the user before handing out invites. You can tell who you are inviting if you check a lot of the previous posts made by the user.

Now some n00bs seem to be good people but some don't. Someone that has no posts and goes to the invites section and tries to trade a few trackers for FTN is a trader in my book. Why should your first post be a trade and why aim for FTN? I mean you had a whole month and you did not try to contribute to this community and then as soon as you get to the invites section you just want to trade. Well that's how I see it anyways.

All I can say. Don't just go by ratio shots. Check people's history. I even have given some accounts away and then someone tried to guess my password on a few trackers thinking it would be the same as the account I gave away. lol I got a msg saying that someone had tried to login multiple times to my account unsuccesful.

deuce6000
08-08-2007, 07:27 PM
None of this has ever meant anything to me i'll give out invites to people i don't know but it's not going to be anything good.Getting to know people is the only way to really know.

Vercors
08-08-2007, 08:32 PM
I've found how to change the running time, it's just a matter of time until I find all the settings

I've just tried it myself, once you find one of the strings you find them all since they're all located on the same memory block
So it wouldn't be hard for anyone who wants to fake his stats to edit all of them

ninja
08-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Ratio screenshots or stats don't mean anything to me. I will usually ask for a shot of what they are seeding and I do a check on the user before handing out invites. You can tell who you are inviting if you check a lot of the previous posts made by the user.

Now some n00bs seem to be good people but some don't. Someone that has no posts and goes to the invites section and tries to trade a few trackers for FTN is a trader in my book. Why should your first post be a trade and why aim for FTN? I mean you had a whole month and you did not try to contribute to this community and then as soon as you get to the invites section you just want to trade. Well that's how I see it anyways.

All I can say. Don't just go by ratio shots. Check people's history. I even have given some accounts away and then someone tried to guess my password on a few trackers thinking it would be the same as the account I gave away. lol I got a msg saying that someone had tried to login multiple times to my account unsuccesful.

:noes: some people thing that you wont change the password????????

mbucari1
08-09-2007, 12:14 AM
I've found how to change the running time, it's just a matter of time until I find all the settings

I've just tried it myself, once you find one of the strings you find them all since they're all located on the same memory block
So it wouldn't be hard for anyone who wants to fake his stats to edit all of themI didn't edit the memory, I edited the settings.dat file which houses all of the stats.