PDA

View Full Version : Need advices about UK ISP

Foobrother
08-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Hi everybody, :happy:

I'll move soon in my new flat in Edinburgh and I would like to have the fastest connection, but also the less limited one for downloads (like P2P). :P

Requierements:

Wireless router
50GB download/upload limit minimum (unlimited would be the best)
Upload speed of 448Kbit minimum

I've done already few search and I've found Be unlimited (Be There) which looks interesting: 24Mbit/1.3Mbit, Unlimited downloads, £24/month
But on ISPreview UK (http://www.ispreview.co.uk) they say that we have to have a "fair usage" of the downloads.
So I'm a bit scared!

Many thanks! :)

PS: if you also know a good phone provider with interesting prices for international call, I also interested!

4play
08-08-2007, 05:48 PM
the fair usage limit is 500 gigs so it ain't too bad.

but i would read into the traffic shaping to see if they are throttling bittorrent before you jump in.

Foobrother
08-08-2007, 06:03 PM
but i would read into the traffic shaping to see if they are throttling bittorrent before you jump in.
Actually that's what I would like to know! :ermm:
Do you know where I can find this information?
What ISP do you use? Is it any good?

4play
08-08-2007, 06:16 PM
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/

Something Else
08-08-2007, 06:57 PM
I suggest RuralInternet..... anyone with em will know what I mean ;)
I've been with em for yrs and so has me mam...all good :thumbsup:

Skweeky
08-08-2007, 07:20 PM
I use Virgin Media for everything, at the moment they're doing a tv/phone/broadband for £30.
I download constantly and have no bother with them at all. They have good customer service as well.

I live in Cumbernauld btw, which is about 40 miles from Edinburgh

Proper Bo
08-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Agree, been using virgin (telewest) for phone/interweb/tellybox for years, downloaded feckloads and never had any problems with them.

4play
08-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Im gonna go with virgin media sooner or later since a mate works for what was telewest and does dodgy tv boxes to get all the channels. even the dirty ones im told:whistling

Skweeky
08-08-2007, 07:38 PM
They even gave me a special deal on calls abroad because they noticed I phoned Belgium on a regular basis. Now I pay local rate for a few specified numbers in Belgium.
I'm really impressed with their service