PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever tried Linux?

100%
08-08-2007, 07:22 PM
For the sake of the unknown.

I haven't, will try this live cd thing tonight

4play
08-08-2007, 07:28 PM
good luck with it but don't expect blazing fast speeds, it takes a while to read things off the cd so its slower than a proper Linux install.

fstrulz
08-08-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm planning to try Linux also... Any suggestions on which Linux OS would be the best for a Computer Science student?

Thanks.

4play
08-08-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm planning to try Linux also... Any suggestions on which Linux OS would be the best for a Computer Science student?

Thanks.

depends what you wanna do.

server = debian, slackware, red hat
desktop = ubuntu, opensuse, fedora

of course thats just a broad generalization but should give you a rough idea of what each is aimed at.

SgtMajor
08-08-2007, 07:43 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/

And you will find it a doddle, and are in a great position to influence others, and you can just copy the CD without any worries and hand them round to anyone willing to try it.

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu

http://www.matthewjmiller.net/howtos/dual-boot-linux-and-windows/

fstrulz
08-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks a lot, mates...

Will definitely give it a try before fall semester starts.

KFlint
08-08-2007, 08:31 PM
as a desktop solution, i would recommend ubuntu or fedora

ubuntu is very easy to install so you should get going in an hour

debian and redhat are more stable versions but you won't have the latest apps version as easily because of that, good for a production server as mentionned above

just watch out if you run windows vista because linux will install grub to manage OS multi-boot and since booting changed a lot from winxp to windows vista, and there is some tweaking to do to make it work, in the grub.conf i think

hope this help!

zapjb
08-08-2007, 09:11 PM
I use PCLOS 95% + now. One of these days I'll be 100% nix.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php

I find PCLOS forum (& the OS) friendlier & easier than buntu for a nix n00b like myself.

And it's not supported by a multibillionaire either like buntu. All community, no corps. :lol:

raspberry1331
08-09-2007, 06:58 AM
despite the support of a multibillionaire, ubuntu is still petty much community driven... when i come across a problem, chances are that the solution is either in the ubuntu or the gentoo forums (these have the best community support i think).

by the way, be prepared to come across some problems, for me the first times were really painful, had to reinstall ubuntu a couple of times.

peat moss
08-09-2007, 09:26 PM
No to be honest but next time I format I'v got two to try . I have a ubuntu disk and a Linspire 5.1 disk what would you recommend ? I also have Msdos 7.1.0 and wanted to see if the Fdisk prompt , see if its different . Call me silly but Windoze really did take all the fun out of computers ?

AmpeD
08-09-2007, 09:58 PM
ive played with it at a friend's house but saw no reason to dual boot it on my box

AirStrike
08-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Yes.. im beginning with ubuntu :)

Snee
08-09-2007, 10:35 PM
I usually at least dual boot, so I guess I could say that I went back to the old OS while staying with linux.

You should have made this poll multi-choice, Zed.

zapjb
08-10-2007, 12:10 AM
PCLOS, the distro hopper stopper! :01:

Doombringer
08-13-2007, 01:32 AM
try it first in VmWare instead of booting with a Live CD

kaffeine
08-13-2007, 03:17 AM
I used Mandriva and Fedora for 2 1/2 years. There was a time when I only used Linux as my primary OS, but eventually came back and now I only use it from time to time.

manofstyle
08-14-2007, 01:28 AM
I have not tried it yet, but plan to soon. I wish Adobe made it's appz for Linux, that's the main reason I haven't tried it yet.

amirji
08-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Fedora.

It's really user friendly, and very GUI based, compared to other linux os's. Have not tried Ubuntu, but did notice that there are high number of users for it as well.

I used Fedora 6 for about 6 mths, but computer just can't handle it, will use more, maybe even dual install, as soon as I get a good system.