PDA

View Full Version : Quesion

Ad
06-29-2003, 01:12 PM
Why is Harry Potter so popular?? Ive read the book it did nothing for me maybe kids have more imagination but kids will probaly find the book more complex rather then watching it

I just cant beileve everyone goes berserk about it

iamtheoneandonlyone
07-02-2003, 07:59 AM
Why is Harry Potter popular?

Just like Tiger Woods. He's popular.
Besides, most of the people enjoy the book and it's suitable for any ages except for babies who can't read.

MagicNakor
07-02-2003, 08:43 AM
No idea. I can't stand Harry Potter.

:ninja:

scribblec
07-02-2003, 10:29 AM
when i read it first i was in primary and it amazed me
i dont read books
the only books i have read in like last 10 years or since primary id harry potter and artemis fowl
which is another book which is really good
the thing that makes hary so popular is that it plays with your imagination
but has realism too
like real locations eg kings cross but
it also leave the possibility that wizards r real
i dunnout thats why i like the book
bad grammer shit cos im on some crap keyborad

WeeMouse
07-02-2003, 11:20 AM
I like the Harry Potter book - they were practically the first proper books I'd read for my own pleasure (I was never really encouraged to read more than comics) and it just opened a whole new world to me........

for me, it makes it seem kinda real cos the books always start off in the real world, with Harry's relatives, but even amongst the wizardry and the damned impossible, it still seems real because you can imagine the characters so clearly!

I know a lot of people who like Harry Potter - the age ranges from 3 to above 40!
I know a lot of people don't like it...just think it's hype.

But it has the mouse seal of approval. Well, not the movies! ;)

Anyway - I'm havering! Who would like a bit of chocolate? :)

Ps just for the record (after reading ghost's post) I have never waited outside a bookshop for hours while wearing a izards hat! I do this little thing called pre-ordering ;) and it hlps if the people who work in there know yer mum..... :)

ghost944
07-02-2003, 11:25 AM
i also dont see whats so good about it, but nearly everybody is obsessed about it,
you wouldnt see me waighting in a line for 4 hours to wait for a book shop to open at 12pm wearing a wizard hat.

MagicNakor
07-02-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by WeeMouse@2 July 2003 - 12:20
I know a lot of people who like Harry Potter - the age ranges from 3 to above 40!
I know a lot of people don't like it...just think it's hype.
You forgot the people that don't like it because, well, it's not that great a read. ;)

:ninja:

Guillaume
07-02-2003, 12:16 PM
It's just like Pokemon: overhyped childish s***!
I've read the firt one and let me tell you, I've wasted 5 ours our my life... I've spent more interresting afternoons watching flies on a wall!

edit: auto-censorship

WeeMouse
07-02-2003, 12:29 PM
methinks that the 3rd one's the best! :)

Just remember that because you didn't like one book, that doesn't mean the rest of the series is crap! ;)

interesting debate, this could be, hm? :)

Guillaume
07-02-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by WeeMouse@2 July 2003 - 13:29
Just remember that because you didn't like one book, that doesn't mean the rest of the series is crap! ;)

Only if an author changed his/her style completely from one book to another... Trying to write about more mature stuff won't do that.
She may even start to write about Harry's sex life in book number 307, that won't change the way she writes.

WeeMouse
07-02-2003, 12:42 PM
:lol: true..

I didn't know it was the style you disliked - thought it was the story itself!

Guillaume
07-02-2003, 12:45 PM
Yep,sorry, should have said that... Can't express myself properly today.
I feel strange today :wacko:

WeeMouse
07-02-2003, 12:48 PM
I feel strange every day!

:lol:

You are forgiven tho :)

thibi_yen
07-04-2003, 10:12 AM
I think the Harry Potter books are entertaining. I read a lot of books, and these are just funny and nice to read. But I don't think Rowling is such a good writer. She only has these books she's famous with and does nothing else than that. If you read books like Artemis Fowl, or Anthony Horowitz, those are better books.

MUSLEMAN
07-04-2003, 10:14 AM
its imaginative and that is how kids are, big imaginations, also he has magic powers you know :lol: :lol:

Eugenius
07-10-2003, 09:27 PM
I HATE HARRY POTTER

that bitch Rowling is a clever devil!
she's just rehashed old kids books!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:
kids DON't want to read these books, they are forced to by their parents cos they THINK their kids will like them so the kids just go along with it cos it's fun.

what wee kid living in, say, a Glasgow flat can relate to some little english twit that goes to a private school for magicians (Hogshit or whatever).

now Charlie and the chocolate factory, that's open to all kids. a poor wee guy finds a ticket and gets to visit a choclate factory. simple. could happen to anyone.

Queeditch this Rowling!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/271677/finger2.JPG

WeeMouse
07-10-2003, 09:44 PM
what wee kid living in, say, a Glasgow flat can relate to some little english twit that goes to a private school for magicians

I sit in a wee Glasgow flat reading...I can't relate at all to a wizard...but by that way of thinking, I shouldn't really read lord of the rings as i have no experience of being a hobbit or possesing a Ring of Power!

JUst cos you don't like them doesn't mean that they are BAD....chill man!

Majin
07-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Just because you were forced to read it by your parents it dosen`t mean everybody was!! I for myself don`t read very much bt the HP books are the ones that can hold me for ages!! There just so exciting and very mature if you ask me!! And i think you can`t judge a book before you haven`t read it!!

07-11-2003, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Eugenius@10 July 2003 - 22:27
kids DON't want to read these books, they are forced to by their parents cos they THINK their kids will like them so the kids just go along with it cos it's fun.

that's not true, i'm 15 and i read the book b/c i like it, not b/c my parents force me to read it. in fact, my parents dun even know much about the book, and they didn't know it was popular until i finished the 3rd book.

therefore, Eugenius, u've been proven wrong

Eugenius
07-11-2003, 07:23 AM
i've not read any Harry Tosser books but i know they're crap. ;)
so i'm not wrong. anyone person over the age of 13 who reads it is just following a trend, WAKE UP! IT'S RUBBISH!

and it's not that a wee glasgow kid can't RELATE to it, it's that the book is elitist, just like private schools, so therefore it appeals more to those kind of families.

at least Lord of the Rings has themes relevant to human history (wars, struggle, persecution), and that's how people can get something out of it cos it's emotional.

Eugenius
07-11-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Majin@10 July 2003 - 22:22
I for myself don`t read very much bt the HP books are the ones that can hold me for ages!! There just so exciting and very mature if you ask me!
what?
you don't read much, but you read Harry Tosser?!?!?!?
:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

WeeMouse
07-11-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Eugenius+11 July 2003 - 08:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Eugenius @ 11 July 2003 - 08:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Majin@10 July 2003 - 22:22
I for myself don`t read very much bt the HP books are the ones that can hold me for ages&#33;&#33;&nbsp; There just so exciting and very mature if you ask me&#33;
what?
you don&#39;t read much, but you read Harry Tosser?&#33;?&#33;?&#33;?
:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: [/b][/quote]
What&#39;s wrong with that? At least he&#39;s reading&#33; I was never encouraged to read, si I didn&#39;t. then i found the harry potter books and loved them.....and slowly I&#39;ve been broadening my horizons bit by bit, but still love the harry potter books&#33;

I&#39;m 17 but following no trend - if the HP books weren&#39;t popular, I&#39;d still buy &#39;em&#33; I do not for one second proclaim that they are better than say, Lord of The Rings (That would be blashemic&#33;) but they are still good books&#33;

I think you&#39;ll find it appeals more to us glasgow kids - makes our imaginations run into overtime trying to figure out exactly what like it is to be at a noarding school etc.

people can get something out of it cos it&#39;s emotional.

HP books do to - it has Harry&#39;s struggle to do the right thing, friendships, relationships and growing up&#33; And best of all - it&#39;s got magic, too&#33;

:)

Majin
07-11-2003, 12:52 PM
Ever read them Eugie??

WeeMouse
07-11-2003, 12:57 PM
He hasn&#39;t - i think he refuses to because he "knows" that they are rubbish....his opinion tho......

Majin
07-11-2003, 02:46 PM
very odd to judge something before even looking or reading it&#33;&#33; :wacko:

ilw
07-11-2003, 02:57 PM
It sounds like he&#39;s just looking for flames, first making it clear that its just prejudice on his part and then commenting on the sort of people who&#39;d read harry potter.

Eugenius
07-11-2003, 03:13 PM
no, i&#39;m not looking for flames. <_<
you guys can waste yr time on it if u want. ;)

Majin
07-11-2003, 03:54 PM
well i think its very astonishing that a human being can be so thick&#33;&#33;&#33; <_<

Eugenius
07-11-2003, 03:59 PM
i assume you&#39;re talking of JK Rowling? ;) :lol:

Majin
07-11-2003, 04:44 PM
you assume wrong

07-11-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by ilw@11 July 2003 - 15:57
It sounds like he&#39;s just looking for flames, first making it clear that its just prejudice on his part and then commenting on the sort of people who&#39;d read harry potter.
naw he&#39;s just trying to get attention, b/c he knows we&#39;ll post a lot of comments, and he&#39;s enjoying it. i mean, look, he doesn&#39;t even read the book, so, unless he&#39;s god, he doesn&#39;t even know how good or bad the book is.

also, just for euenius&#39;s information, i DO NOT go to a private school

Rhydian66
07-22-2003, 06:21 PM
What&#39;s not to like? Humour, violence, monsters, magic and the possibility that the real world isn&#39;t the boring piece of s**t we all fear it is. :rolleyes:

chrish123171
07-26-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Eugenius@11 July 2003 - 07:23
i&#39;ve not read any Harry Tosser books but i know they&#39;re crap. ;)
so i&#39;m not wrong. anyone person over the age of 13 who reads it is just following a trend, WAKE UP&#33; IT&#39;S RUBBISH&#33;

" Thre is is A Principle which is A Bar against all information, Which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep A man in everlasting ignorance- that principal is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer :)