PDA

View Full Version : Detached Hardware

samoyan
08-11-2007, 07:49 PM
I was cleaning my old processor today and I found one disconnected part. I don`t know what it is... :unsure: I remember, I lost those things that were holding it. Now it is attached on one side and detached on the other.

Can I leave it like that or I need to buy a special glue to stick it back to motherboard?

3481 (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/attachment.php?attachmentid=3481&stc=1&d=1186861658)

samoyan
08-11-2007, 08:00 PM
I just found out that the disconnected part is a 'northbridge'. As I understood that metallic box was made for attaching additional cooler to it. I didn`t have cooler there, so I should not worry about it. Am I right? :)

Ad: I also found out that the metallic box is a 'heatsink'.

lynx
08-11-2007, 09:18 PM
From the pics I can't see exactly what you mean, but from your description I think you are talking about the northbridge heatsink. If that's the case, you certainly do need to worry about getting it back into place, otherwise the north bridge chip will overheat and probably fail.

You should use thermal adhesive compound or thermal tape to stick it into place. This is NOT the same stuff that you use between the CPU and it's heatsink.
Tape is usually cheaper for one-off use, you don't need to be quite as fussy about getting the surfaces spotlessly clean, and it is a lot less messy.

Here's an example (http://www.crazypc.com/products/PQ5-5025.html)

clocker
08-11-2007, 10:22 PM
From the pics I can't see exactly what you mean, but from your description I think you are talking about the northbridge heatsink.
Yeah, that's it alright and it looks to be one of those gawdawful hook and loop designs that Intel is so fond of.
We see those imbedded hooks pull out of the motherboard all the time.

While you're pondering what a crap design the NB retention method is you should clean the CPU heatsink too...it's filthy.

samoyan
08-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Thank you for your replies!

After cleaning the processor, I closed the box and plugged in the power cord. After that my power supply died...30 minutes ago. I had green light blinking and some strange noise was coming from PSU. I went to the store to buy a new PSU 500W (previous one was 300W). The store where I bought PSU has a tech department and I asked one of technicians how to attach the heatsink back to northbridge and he said: "...there`s no way to fix this...you can`t attach it back to northbridge because you have broken mounting tabs. Just leave it like that, it won`t overheat. It is southbridge that needs more cooling."

But from your posts and from other articles I found on Google, I figured out that it is important to keep northbridge cool.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Do you know any programs that can show me the temperatures of motherboard (northbridge, southbridge) and CPU?

2) If I have broken mounting tabs, can I still fix my heatsink?

Thank you.

samoyan
08-12-2007, 12:04 AM
I found my motherboard images and specs:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00208497&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=432780&lang=en (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=432786&lang=en&docname=c00196251)

I marked that partly disconnected thing with red arrow.

clocker
08-12-2007, 12:45 AM
The store where I bought PSU has a tech department and I asked one of technicians how to attach the heatsink back to northbridge and he said: "...there`s no way to fix this...you can`t attach it back to northbridge because you have broken mounting tabs. Just leave it like that, it won`t overheat. It is southbridge that needs more cooling."

That store does NOT have a tech department.

As lynx previously posted, you can glue the heatsink back on using specially formulated thermal adhesive.
Trying to repair the pulled out hook is usually not successful (you may have guessed that I think it's a terrible design).

Speedfan is one program that might give you the info you want... (http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php)

samoyan
08-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Thank you lynx and clocker!
I`ll try to follow your advices.

I ordered:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PQ5-5025 Thermal Tape (5 Pieces)
50151 ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover and Surface Purifier (60ml Kit)
50212 Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5grams
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will use ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover and Surface Purifier to remove old thermal grease. And then I have two options, either to use thermal tapes or thermal compound. Which one do you recommend to use? I`ll have to remove the heatsink from two remaining mounting tabs because without those broken tabs I feel resistance when I try to straighten it out. I don`t think thermal compounds or tapes will stand that resistance.

clocker
08-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Yes, remove the other retaining tabs.
You'll have to use the thermal tape..Arctic Silver is just a paste, not an adhesive.

Nightmeare
08-12-2007, 10:08 PM
thats a passiv northbridge cooler does not need any plugs. and it is only small clips to fasten it.

Snee
08-13-2007, 02:23 AM
Yes, remove the other retaining tabs.
You'll have to use the thermal tape..Arctic Silver is just a paste, not an adhesive.

I've run into people mixing thermal adhesive stuff with AS (a mix which according to them diverts heat better than tape or the other gunk alone), but that sounds a bit dodgy.

clocker
08-13-2007, 01:42 PM
I've used AS5 with a touch of superglue in each corner (of the chip) to reattach heatsinks like the OP's and it seems to work OK but a specific thermal adhesive would obviously be the optimal solution.
Even a high quality tape would be preferable to no sink at all.

tesco
08-13-2007, 10:25 PM
A low quality one wouldn't?:huh:

Nightmeare
08-13-2007, 11:33 PM
does not really look like high end specs. dont need a high end cooler

clocker
08-13-2007, 11:59 PM
A low quality one wouldn't?:huh:
Thermal tape- in general- is certainly a distant second choice to proper thermal grease but poor quality tape is almost as bad as no heatsink at all.

Just my opinion, you understand.

samoyan
08-17-2007, 02:38 AM
Finally, I got the thermal tapes today. I cleaned both the heatsink and the IC, but after I turned on PC and it stayed turned on for about 15-20 minutes the heatsink just fell down from IC. I repeated the procedure until the same story happened again. I think I should have used an adhesive rather than a tape...

clocker
08-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Arctic Silver makes an adhesive that works well.

samoyan
08-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Arctic Silver makes an adhesive that works well.I forgot to mention yesterday, that after I had cleaned both the chip and the heatsink, I applied a thermal tape to the heatsink and then attached it to the chip. After that, when ambient and chip temperatures rose to 45-50C, the heatsink fell down from the chip. After second attempt the same story happened. It seems that the tape melts at high temperatures.

So, I decided to follow your advice and will buy Artic Silver adhesive compound. Also, I want to try to use a drop of superglue in each corner of the chip. I think it will work.

lynx
08-17-2007, 08:11 PM
It sounds like you got ordinary thermal pads or tape (which are designed for the cpu, and as you've discovered they melt), rather than the adhesive type.

If you use proper adhesive thermal compound or tape you shouldn't need superglue.

samoyan
08-25-2007, 06:07 PM
Thank you very much clocker and lynx!
I did everything you told me and it works like a charm now.