PDA

View Full Version : "Travel is the enemy of bigotry and prejudice."

vidcc
08-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Generally, "Travel is the enemy of bigotry and prejudice."

True or false?

Are you less likely to lump the majority of ordinary everyday people in with extreme examples within other cultures if you have traveled and experienced more cultures?
I have found in my life experience of others that the less someone has traveled/experienced the more likely they are to have a negative or misconceived view of other cultures.

Of course it's possible to have a misconceived positive view also and some people will never change their mind and purposely look for things to confirm their prejudice or lack of, ignoring anything that conflicts with their views.

bigboab
08-12-2007, 08:45 PM
I don't know. I have been to places where the actions of some of the inhabitants have made me slightly prejudiced against them.

Busyman™
08-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Generally, "Travel is the enemy of bigotry and prejudice."

True or false?

Are you less likely to lump the majority of ordinary everyday people in with extreme examples within other cultures if you have traveled and experienced more cultures?
I have found in my life experience of others that the less someone has traveled/experienced the more likely they are to have a negative or misconceived view of other cultures.

Of course it's possible to have a misconceived positive view also and some people will never change their mind and purposely look for things to confirm their prejudice or lack of, ignoring anything that conflicts with their views.

I disagree with the topic statement.

Weak-minded people tend to be bigots.

I know right off the top that any race or people have their devils.

As Bob said, travel may confirm a stereotype that is the reason for a prejudice.

All rednecks don't dislike black people.

All Muslims are not terrorists are even sympathize with them.

All Asians are not smart and good at math.

All Jews are not great lawyers and have shitloads of money.

All brats are not pompous prim and proper tightwads.

All blacks are not criminal minded.

Of course some/many of all of the above....are.

vidcc
08-13-2007, 12:24 AM
I disagree with the topic statement.

Weak-minded people tend to be bigots. bigots tend to be misinformed, this may well be due to weak mindedness believing what they are told.

Therefore would experience counter this?

If they were to experience the world instead of judging it on the word of others would they perhaps find out that (see below)

Of course some/many of all of the above....are. I think bigoted people are unlikely to change their minds unless they see for themselves, hence travel is the enemy of bigotry.

As Bob said, travel may confirm a stereotype that is the reason for a prejudice.

I kind of pointed to that in my last sentence.

Busyman™
08-13-2007, 02:17 AM
bigots tend to be misinformed, this may well be due to weak mindedness believing what they are told.

Therefore would experience counter this?

If they were to experience the world instead of judging it on the word of others would they perhaps find out that (see below)

Of course some/many of all of the above....are. I think bigoted people are unlikely to change their minds unless they see for themselves, hence travel is the enemy of bigotry.

I kind of pointed to that in my last sentence.

Mmk, then as you pointed out as well.

However, that is still part of my answer.

Travel can confirm or debunk prejudice so my answer is one you don't have available.

Maybe

Drop a racist redneck in a drug ridden part of DC or Baltimore and he probably won't change his position. He may meet a person that doesn't fit the stereotype of the area and it change his mind.

What I find fascination about the human condition are the white supremacists that believe if all blacks were eliminated that everything will be hunky dory.

As if there aren't whites that would do other whites in.

The same goes for the NOI as a counter.

Both do good for self empowerment but they have a evil front.

My slogan, "It's easier to unite when you unite for or against something".

It is great motivation to do wonderful and despicable things as a group.

Enigma271828
08-16-2007, 12:50 AM
I've always wanted to ship a hardcore Baptist to China and make him live in a Buddhist monastery. Maybe Jerry Falwell.

vidcc
08-16-2007, 01:03 AM
I've always wanted to ship a hardcore Baptist to China and make him live in a Buddhist monastery. Maybe Jerry Falwell.

Are you some kind of re-animator then? :unsure:

Biggles
08-16-2007, 11:54 AM
I've always wanted to ship a hardcore Baptist.

Sorted

Enigma271828
08-17-2007, 04:18 AM
I've always wanted to ship a hardcore Baptist.

Sorted

Lol not following..

j2k4
08-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Sorted

Lol not following..

Just look for the trail of crumbs...

lynx
08-18-2007, 09:07 AM
You are back from your travels then, J2.

Did it work for you? :D

j2k4
08-18-2007, 09:54 AM
You are back from your travels then, J2.

Did it work for you? :D

I haven't been anywhere, but the people sure are different. :huh:

Just really, really busy with the work deal lately.

unattended
08-22-2007, 03:01 AM
I have definitely found people's minds are opened by traveling and meeting people they may have only heard bad stories about from other close-minded people.