PDA

View Full Version : Project Gutenberg

J'Pol
06-29-2003, 10:52 PM
Project Gutenberg is the brainchild of Michael Hart, who in 1971 decided that it would be a really good idea if lots of famous and important texts were freely available to everyone in the world. Since then, he has been joined by hundreds of volunteers who share his vision.

In essence books which have no copyright are available for download as text files. This includes old works (I get my Wodehouse, Jerome K Jerome here), technical works which never had copyright on them etc. These are all perfectly legal and can be downloaded directly from the websites.

http://promo.net/pg/

This is only one of many servers throughout the world. Just do a Google search and you will find many more. Anyone interested in e-books should have a look. You may even wish to join in and help the project.

neevakee
06-29-2003, 11:43 PM
i just heard about this on the screensavers and have been meaning to check it out thanks for reminding me

mogadishu
07-31-2003, 04:59 PM
jeez, they have a ton of great books on here. And it's nice to know what your downloading is free and legal for once.

LDeer
08-05-2003, 05:19 PM
Heh, I remember reading about this once from a 'Dilbert' book long ago.

javakel
09-04-2003, 04:09 PM
Those of you who like and/or appreciate the Project Gutenberg website, you might be interested in this Internet Archive page. It's a virtual labyrinth of information from a wide range of sources...from film to audio recordings to other web pages. It's much more extensive than Project Gutenberg, and in all actuality, Gutenberg is just one of many assessible databases. For those interested only in texts, they offer links to Open Source Books, Million Book Project (which actually surpases PG in the number of available works), International Children's Digital Library, just to name a few. Even better yet...they have archives containing texts submitted by other users. It's really amazing, and just hella neat. :D

Internet Archive (http://www.archive.org/)

Spider_dude
09-05-2003, 12:13 AM
cheers for that jp.

globalterminator
11-11-2003, 07:05 PM
Thanks JPAUL :beerchug:

ZeroTolerance
12-04-2003, 12:18 AM
sweet :angry: :blink:

Carlo
12-25-2003, 12:33 AM
Sometimes I wonder when an illegal texts distribution site will pop up (or if it already exists). I am tired of the "70 years after death" rule.

Tonkatsu
12-30-2003, 12:45 PM
Unfortunately because of people trying to squeeze4 every dime out of things that have become poart of the cultural landscape, very little material has entered the public domain. Which sucks, because the public domain was a good idea that's getting pissed on by companies like Disney

Alex H
06-11-2004, 07:19 AM
I'm workong on a p2p app for texts. Gutenburg now supports MAGNET links, so you can DL their content from a p2p client.

I expect that when my client is working there will be lots of Gutenburg content on it, but of stuff written in the last 70 years starts coming up...meh!

Miztress
08-31-2006, 08:53 AM
I have been a volunteer at PG for a few years now. It is easy to help out and takes a very small amount of time to yield large rewards for all. I highly recommend becoming a member and lending a hand :)

Agrajag
08-31-2006, 09:01 PM
I have been a volunteer at PG for a few years now. It is easy to help out and takes a very small amount of time to yield large rewards for all. I highly recommend becoming a member and lending a hand :)

You are to be congratulated on your unpaid efforts on behalf of others.

Thanks for that.

TorrenTy
04-12-2007, 09:41 AM
very nice ....and many thanks , its great site

eram
07-08-2008, 10:34 AM
wow . thank you for that! havent heard about this project . shame on me .
looks like i have some new books to read

Acumen
07-09-2008, 09:22 AM
I've heard about PG for a while now. I read Pride and Prejudice from a .txt file because I didn't feel like paying for the ghastly book... It was ok, reading from a computer screen, but I don't want to make it a habit (ouch).

Which sucks, because the public domain was a good idea that's getting pissed on by companies like Disney

It isn't "getting pissed on by companies like Disney." In fact, nothing is stopping authors from giving away their books for free.

:unsure: Did I miss something, or did Tonkatsu just suggest that authors shouldn't be allowed to sell their books?