PDA

View Full Version : Playing “Torrented” files on 40” HDTV – Please Help

torentcouple
08-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Hi everyone, I’m hoping I can get some advice. I know this is not the average question on this forum, but I really need to post this on a bittorrent forum, since I am trying to figure out what video card to get to play only TV torrented files and some movie torrented files through my old PC on my new 40” 1080p television (coming through the mail soon, I’m soooo excited!) I know this is long, but if some kind souls can bear with me, I could really use some help!

Me and my wife are heavy torrent-ers. We don’t own cable or satellite but we still watch at least 3-4 TV shows downloaded through Bittorrent a day on a weekday alone, usually a mix of downloaded TV shows and movies on the weekends. It’s too many to burn them on DVDs to play on the new TV all the time.

The problem is that I’ve talked to two different professionals as well as posting on the Avsforum and I can’t explain where I’m getting HDTV content, because I’m getting it through torrent sites and I don’t want to admit that.

So I’m confusing them, because all they know is that I’m not tuning HDTV cable or satellite through the computer, nor playing games, nor will my computer ever support Blu-Ray or HD DVD but I’m insisting on getting a video card that will be able to send HDTV using the full abilities of a 40” 1080p monitor, while still being able to switch back and forth between the TV and my “normal” monitor.

So I’m getting two different responses: Some people are saying that I need a 256 MB dual output card with HDTV out (yes there are AGP cards like that). This would require a new 350Watt 18A on the +12V rail power supply for my computer, but cards like this are only around $100, and the power supply would be under $50, but I hate to get stuff I don’t need.

The other camp of people are telling me I don’t need a card that powerful at all, to just get an older model of card that doesn’t require a new power supply or put out HDTV specifically, just something that just supports the dual monitors and the high resolution of the TV and nothing else.

So here’s where I am hoping you guys can help me because anywhere else I can’t explain how I’m getting these files or any of the bittorrent specific issues that affect my decision of what to get.

I know that sites with HDTV and 1080p files are starting to crop up, and since I plan on keeping the computer for at least a few more years, there will probably be lots more like that available through bittorrent sites.

At the same time, I live in an isolated area so my download and esp. upload speeds are incredibly slow, and I only have a Dell Dimension 4600 with 512 RAM and a 80Gig hard drive and a AGP video slot so those huge files might be hard for me to get. (We keep very good ratios despite the slow upload speeds, it just takes more patience and strategy.)
I don't have any upgrade plans at the moment, but who knows in the future?

So my question is, does it matter which way I go? That depends on the torrents that I’m getting. Are your average, easy to get torrent TV files going to benefit from a powerful 256MG HDTV card, or would they look just as good on the 40” HDTV with some kind of old dual monitor card that doesn’t have HDTV out but supports the high resolution? I have to think also about what type of P2P files might be available over the next few years.

Some of the TV files have HDTV in the tag, but I’m not sure if that just means it came from a HDTV source, or that the file itself is HDTV quality. Could someone please explain this?
My computer is essentially my cable box for all practical purposes since its where I get *all* of my TV, so I want to get the most out of my new TV.
Buying a new computer isn’t an option for me right now.

I’m just trying to figure out if any of the files that I’m downloading will benefit from a powerful card, or will a year or so down the line. What do you guys think?

fstrulz
08-13-2007, 09:15 PM
So basically, you want to go HTPC or Home Theater PC...

Since you're connecting your PC to an HDTV, I'd advice that you get a video card with HDMI output, so you could connect your PC to your HDTV through an HDMI cable and watch your downloaded HD movies and TV shows in the highest video quality that your HDTV can support.

Once you got that, just download Media Player Classic (http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/) and you're ready to go. :)

hopes
08-13-2007, 09:23 PM
Take a look here, u can find some help
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26/

zarnexx
08-13-2007, 09:55 PM
So basically, you want to go HTPC or Home Theater PC...

Since you're connecting your PC to an HDTV, I'd advice that you get a video card with HDMI output, so you could connect your PC to your HDTV through an HDMI cable and watch your downloaded HD movies and TV shows in the highest video quality that your HDTV can support.

Once you got that, just download Media Player Classic (http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/) and you're ready to go. :)

I have´t seen a agp gfx card that have HDMI output.:ermm:

I think that you should consider to buy a HTPC, you can buy a good HTPC for $500.

edit:
something like this:
Cooler Master Cavalier 4 case
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz
ECS P965T-A, P965, Socket-775, SATAII, GbLAN, DDR2, ATX, 2xPCI-Ex16
Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 1024MB kit
Sapphire Radeon HD 2400 PRO 256MB DDR3, PCIe, DVI/Tv-out/HDMI, Heatsink

a random hard drive

necromantic
08-14-2007, 02:01 AM
The HDBits forums are overflowing with htpc advice. Everything you would want to know is there.

euitwa
08-14-2007, 05:37 AM
As long as you have a DVI card you can either use a plain old DVI cable for your TV if it has a DVI input, or go buy an hdmi to DVI cable (make sure the plugs are the correct gender btw) to hook it up.

No super fancy stuff is needed, but if your computer doesn't even have DVI it's time to upgrade.

torentcouple
08-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Unfortunately I went to http://hdbits.org/signup.php and got
Sorry

The site is full

The HDBits forums are overflowing with htpc advice. Everything you would want to know is there.

KevinGarnet
08-14-2007, 05:19 PM
i think this tracker is really good.. and quality of movies i like very much.. of course to play this quality you must have good pc..

low_dirt
08-14-2007, 05:33 PM
sounds like you want to do exactly what i did. and i don't have dvi (yeah yeah it's time to upgrade :)... (i went the super cheap route, ie: no buying new cards) just get a vga splitter/booster (40$ ish) and a second vga/3.5mm audio cable-bundle (30-50$ for 25-30 ft) and run that to your vga input on your hdtv. this way, i can play the hd video on my comp and watch on the big tv. basically, it turns your tv into a second duplicate (not dual) monitor. an even cheaper route is to buy a simple vga splitter (less than 10$) but this will definetely compromise the vga signal, but hell it "works"!

of course, this is definitely not as good as the HTPC route, but it's getting me by until i do actually buy a new pc.

torentcouple
08-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks everyone, for the help here!
Necromantik, even though I couldn't get into HDBits itself, it seems associated with the highdefforum.com, which I got lots of help from, so thanks for the tip!

low_dirt, It was a *very* hard decision as to whether or not to go the super-cheap route or the as-close-to-HTPC-as possible-with-a-home-computer route. Our computers sound very similiar. My computer didn't actually have a graphics card, just the onboard graphics, and no DVI. I'm sure the super-cheap route would have worked but I think I would always have wondered if I could have gotten a better picture with a better card, so I went kinda on the overkill edge of things:

Xfx Geforce 7600GT 256MB DDR3 Dual Dvi 560M Agp

ULTRA-QUIET DELL PSU: SILENCER® 410 DELL-2
410W +12V @ 23A Power supply

Thanks everyone for all the tips!
I went as much down the

AugustoP
08-17-2007, 03:45 PM
I'd suggest buying Nvidia 8600 video card which has accelerated H264 playback and using it alongside the cheapest modern processor (Sempron or Celeron). You'll be able to play both 720p and 1080p x264 encodes, HD MPEG2 and Blu-rays/HD-DVDs. 400Wt power supply is an overkill but its hard to buy less powerful units these days. Check silentpcreview.com for the list of silent PSUs. Seasonic S12 is one of the best but its kinda expensive.

torentcouple
08-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks, AugustoP for the advice.

Actually, I already placed my order for the 7600GT and ULTRA-QUIET DELL PSU: SILENCER® 410 DELL-2.
The problem is that they don't make an 8600 with AGP-8X, and I have heard that much over Nvidia 7900 won't work well with Pentium 4.

I would have loved to have just gotten a cheapo 350W power supply, and I really didn't care if it was silent or not. Problem was
that the Dell 4600 uses a proprietary power supply. Regular ATX power supplies cannot be used because the wiring of the plug is non-standard on the Dell. As far as I could tell it was the only "upgrade" power supply available for my computer!

I got my 25' foot 22AWG HDMI-DVI cable from Monoprice - for $37.00 Unbelievably cheap prices, and people on AVSforum have tested them and they work fine. Monster cable is a rip-off!

Needless to say, once I've paid off completely for the television (not anytime soon), I'll be purchasing a new computer, but until then, its like Christmas... I'm just waiting for all the stuff I ordered (including the TV!) to come in!

Thanks again for all the help here!