PDA

View Full Version : No Seeds While Dl/ing?

SMOOVE
07-01-2003, 07:35 AM
what happends if there arent anymore seeds when ur 84% into download do i cancel it

CadeLaguana
07-01-2003, 07:51 AM
Usually when I'm in that situation, and its a very large file, and I'm near completion, I just leave it there untill a kind soul hopefuly reseeds it. If I'm waiting 8 hours for a game I want and then it stops on me well then I'll be damned if I'm going to cancel it. Thats just my opinion though. If the file you are downloading isnt that much of importance to you, such as a "I'm bored lets download" download, then just cancel it.

SMOOVE
07-01-2003, 08:00 AM
ill just resume it tommorow when some one reseeds it

CadeLaguana
07-01-2003, 08:05 AM
Smart Idea. Though I usually just leave my pc on when downloading. That way if someone reseeds it while your asleep, then when you wake up, most of it will probably be done.

SMOOVE
07-01-2003, 08:07 AM
im on 84% now so thats good will i be able to play my Battlefield1942.CCD online when i install it?

CadeLaguana
07-01-2003, 08:14 AM
Since I'm not a battlefield 1942 fan (I play operation flashpoint...legitiment bought copy), and I buy games that require cd keys, I'm not sure if yours will work. If it requires a unique cd key then chances are you won't be able to since the game companys do an excellent job with there key systems...(except for microsoft...though I still love em anyway. It was so easy getting xp pro from them.).

SMOOVE
07-01-2003, 08:16 AM
whats upload rate?

CadeLaguana
07-01-2003, 08:17 AM
Upload rate is how many kps you are uploading to other people. Thats how bittorrent works. You download parts from other people and they download from you what you have already finished.

SMOOVE
07-01-2003, 08:22 AM
what do they download? how do they download the same file from you? while ur downloading it from them? when ur done with the WHOLE file and ur not downloading when u close ur download box can they still d/l off u?

CadeLaguana
07-01-2003, 08:27 AM
ok let me explain. I'm not a bittorrent expert but I have a basic understand...I think. First off when you download a torrent from somewhere, other people that are downloading it are getting the parts you have already downloaded from you. Such as if you have a 100mb game (rare these days lol) and you have 50mb downloaded so far, then other people are downloading the 50mb's you already have downloaded. You are a source. When you are done downloading the file completely, if you leave the download box up then you are a seeder since you have the whole file. If you close that box they cannot download any further.

SMOOVE
07-01-2003, 08:29 AM
so when it is completly done and u close the box u are taken out of the source and seeder line correct so they are not in any contact with my files right?what happends if u close a download half way done right and u take some files that are completed out of the folder like on a cd album they cant download those files cause u would be taking files off of a half downloaded file

CadeLaguana
07-01-2003, 08:33 AM
Exactly. They cannot download any files from your computer without that box open...and don't worry they can't download any files just the one you were downloading. They can't download any files from your computer unless they are hacking or that box is open and its the file you were downloading or seeding. Of course you would have to specify. Ok if you want to reseed a file you have already downloaded then go back to that torrent link and click it. Save to same place as the file you already have downloaded and it will check that existing file. It sees that its done and lets you become a seeder for other people to continue there downloads. Remember....you download a file from bittorrent other people that started the download later get the parts you already have done, and they get it from other people to. Always has to be a seeder or else you can't get the file.

SMOOVE
07-01-2003, 08:36 AM
ok 1 more question since now i got rid off all my bittorrent software can i be d/led off?

CadeLaguana
07-01-2003, 08:38 AM
No. Why did you get rid of all your bittorrent software? Was it something I said that lead you to belive people were downloading all your files or something? Bittorrents sort of like p2p. But I won't go into that again :D

SMOOVE
07-01-2003, 08:42 AM
lol no im just real protective of my comp esspecaelly(Excuse My Grammer :D ) on the internet cause u never know when people could be doing stuff behind ur back now days i dont trust N0 p2p software :P I mean that lol

CadeLaguana
07-01-2003, 08:44 AM
ahhh you have nothing to worry about. I trust bittorrent so much I even turn off norton antivirus and internet security. I guarentee you, you are completely safe. Thats a lifetime guarentee with your purchase of 3 or 4 of my new video cards I have for sell :D

SMOOVE
07-01-2003, 08:46 AM
:) lol well thanks for all ur help im gonna log off now cya later this was a HuGe help thanks

CadeLaguana
07-01-2003, 08:47 AM
Anytime....oh and if your ever interested in buying new nvidia 128mb video cards...PM me :D.

P.S. You don't have to respond to this...