PDA

View Full Version : Leaseweb M$ web server Help Please!!!:(

goinclubbin
08-19-2007, 03:49 AM
I just got a leaseweb M$ web server and I wanted to know what applications I need to run it:whistling I read alot of post but it doesn't mention everything at once...I' honestly confused:(
I think I can use Serv-U for my FTP services but is there any thing else I need Specifically....Like terminal services VPN PUtty:frusty::frusty::frusty: Thanks for your help

The server specs are here if you care to look at them.

http://www.leaseweb.com/index.php?p=express3

Thanks for your help!:)

Melvinmeow
08-20-2007, 08:10 PM
I just got a leaseweb M$ web server and I wanted to know what applications I need to run it:whistling I read alot of post but it doesn't mention everything at once...I' honestly confused:(
I think I can use Serv-U for my FTP services but is there any thing else I need Specifically....Like terminal services VPN PUtty:frusty::frusty::frusty: Thanks for your help

The server specs are here if you care to look at them.

http://www.leaseweb.com/index.php?p=express3

Thanks for your help!:)

If its a windows based server...
Should be all set with a basic FTP server.
Your fav torrent client.
And thats about all.
Unless you were planning on doing something else with the server.
Be sure to open the ports on their hidden firewall.

goinclubbin
08-22-2007, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the information. I had one question tho.....How do I open the ports on the hidden firewall? I appreciate it thanks. BTW everything else is working great.

Melvinmeow
08-22-2007, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the information. I had one question tho.....How do I open the ports on the hidden firewall? I appreciate it thanks. BTW everything else is working great.

I dont use LW but I beleive its hidden in your network settings somewhere.
If you wanted to I could check on your server for you but would need a temp login. Then you can change the password or something after its all set.

atozzotas
08-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Yes, is in the network connection tab of the control panel.
PM if you need help

beat
08-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Also I'm a little bit curious should he use the encryption on utorrent?

Melvinmeow
08-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Also I'm a little bit curious should he use the encryption on utorrent?

Depends on the type of server hes using and if the host hes using allows him to store files (Data) on their servers legally.

Personally I just leave it on but not forced encrytion.

AugustoP
08-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Standard Windows installation has everything you need to set up seedbox except torrent client. Use Microsoft FTP server to access files and Remote Desktop Connection to run programs etc.

Melvinmeow
08-22-2007, 11:18 PM
Standard Windows installation has everything you need to set up seedbox except torrent client. Use Microsoft FTP server to access files and Remote Desktop Connection to run programs etc.

Your acctually better off not using any MS non-essential products on your box. Such as their FTP server or IIS they have something in there that sometimes tracks illegal usage somehow I have been told. (Actual hosting companies have told me this.)

T3RR0R
08-22-2007, 11:56 PM
Setup Serv U FTP on LeaseWeb Server and set it up with Account name, port, password etc, Set up FileZilla FTP on home Computer to download or upload to and from the server. For MS i would suggest uTorrent 1.6.1 or 1.7.2 minimizes ram and is capable of alot. LeaseWeb shouldnt be blocking any ports but use from 35000-45000 range.

goinclubbin
08-24-2007, 11:47 PM
Thanks for all your help. I spent a day reading and here's what got. Using microsoft's FTP server is correct: Here's how:http://www.simongibson.com/intranet/ftp2003/ Upgrade to the newest version of Remote Desktop and it is so simple it's almost silly:yup: Then as this link explains you can use VCN which is almost exactly like the Linux equivalant of SSH.
http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1677

Last but least LeaseWeb does close up their ports, the three that are assigned to use and a couple of ones not listed. To open the ones you want in Windows Web Server 2003, You need to:
1) On the desktop Right click on My Network Places.
2) Select properties.
3) On Local Area Connection(the one without the Red X) Right click.
4) Select properties. This bring up your IP Protocol[TCP/IP]
5) Select the properties box.(The one to the left is uninstall)
6) Your will see your subnet mask, IP, etc.
7) Select Advanced tab again. Now your in the Advance TCP/IP settings. Select tab 4 Options.
8) Next select the properties box. and there you go.

You only need one port open. For mine I choose *****;)

Thanks for all the offers to help with a guest login, but I thought it would be better if I figured it out on my own. That way I could understand what was happening:D