PDA

View Full Version : Retarded Society

chalice
08-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Ireland is no longer a warzone. Yay!! Unification looms (though don't tell the prods that). Big Ian has started buying his clerical apparel from a sub-border source. Glasnost was never this good.

When I was a sprog, the only time we had the exotic luxury of seeing a black person, was when he sported an automatic rifle and camoflage. The doors have now swung wide and we are becoming a multicultural society. Ireland used to be a place to leave, not to arrive at.

So we are all now united against a common enemy. We need to fill the hatred void and the foreigners are complying handsomely. We have become England in the 50's. That's how retarded our society really is.

I fear we'll be playing catch-up forever. This is not to say that racism isn't prevalent everywhere else. Ours is a unique racism, born out of our habit for hatred. It's nothing personal: We'd find some other outlet if being non-Irish wasn't so damn convenient.

vidcc
08-19-2007, 10:31 PM
An interesting observation.

Are you talking about north and south? With some extreme exceptions I have always found the Irish to be very friendly and welcoming. I guess as you suggest something to fill the void left by the waning "self hatred" is being sought.

Mr JP Fugley
08-20-2007, 01:11 AM
An interesting observation.

Are you talking about north and south? With some extreme exceptions I have always found the Irish to be very friendly and welcoming. I guess as you suggest something to fill the void left by the waning "self hatred" is being sought.

When were you last in Ireland vid, things may have changed a bit.

vidcc
08-20-2007, 03:18 AM
When were you last in Ireland vid, things may have changed a bit.

I have no doubt they have, other than quick stops, its been about 15 years.

However my opinion isn't just based on experience on their turf. Perhaps it may be another example for my travel thread, but I have yet to meet a born and bred Irishman outside Ireland that was anything other than a thoroughly top notch person.

Mind you I will say that it helps to have a sense of humor around them. :P

Biggles
08-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Ireland is no longer a warzone. Yay!! Unification looms (though don't tell the prods that). Big Ian has started buying his clerical apparel from a sub-border source. Glasnost was never this good.

When I was a sprog, the only time we had the exotic luxury of seeing a black person, was when he sported an automatic rifle and camoflage. The doors have now swung wide and we are becoming a multicultural society. Ireland used to be a place to leave, not to arrive at.

So we are all now united against a common enemy. We need to fill the hatred void and the foreigners are complying handsomely. We have become England in the 50's. That's how retarded our society really is.

I fear we'll be playing catch-up forever. This is not to say that racism isn't prevalent everywhere else. Ours is a unique racism, born out of our habit for hatred. It's nothing personal: We'd find some other outlet if being non-Irish wasn't so damn convenient.

There was a time when the first question would have been "are you protestant muslim or a catholic muslim" so progress has been made...of sorts.

Britain in the 60s was fun so you have good times to come non? :yup:

bigboab
08-20-2007, 08:30 PM
I don't know about the north but in the south an Englishman is about as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

Busyman™
08-21-2007, 12:41 AM
I don't know about the north but in the south an Englishman is about as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

:glag: Good one!

LaPistola
08-21-2007, 12:46 AM
hahaha had to quote that in my sig its golden :D

vidcc
08-21-2007, 01:37 AM
Are you really the big yin boab?

Barbarossa
08-21-2007, 08:25 AM

That's slightly unfair :lol:

I lived in Dublin for 18 months, and was made to feel very welcome during my time there. :guinesssm

Admittedly, Dublin is a totally different world to other parts of Ireland, the Atlantic coast for instance.

bigboab
08-21-2007, 08:55 AM
[quote=bigboab;2216995]I don't know about the north but in the south an Englishman is about as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

That's slightly unfair :lol:

Did you see many Irish people in Dublin?:lol:
Anyway they will take money from tourists but they still detest Englishmen. Go to a pub in the provinces on a Friday or Saturday night. I am not talking about tourist resorts here. The 'real' Ireland. They are still living the life of nearly a hundred years ago.

chalice
08-21-2007, 09:32 AM
I had originally declared a 6 month sabbatical in the lounge the other night but it would be rude not to respond to a thread I'd started. So I'm back to dither a while longer.

When I referred to Ireland, I meant the island as a single entity, not 2 slices of the same apple.
However, it is fair to differentiate. Boab's comment was accurate to a degree but, in my experience, and to extend the simile beyond it's wit, a Northerner is about as welcome as gastroenteritis in a spacesuit. Belfast and Dublin brogues vary vastly and I've seen some southern eyebrows raised when I've ordered a Guinness in the Temple Bar area with my staccato tongue. I think we're bored with hating the English now. At least we understand what they're saying and they are, for the most part, incredibly sensitive and respectful when they descend on our capitals for their stag parties and what have you.

It's mostly Eastern Europeans who bear the brunt of our ire. It's not called Ire-land for nothing. Pocket-communities have begun to form where before there was just exclusively catholics or protestants. Column inches which once contained the knee-cappings of our wayward youths, now contain arson attacks on Poles. As Mr Adams famously threatened; "They haven't gone away, you know", they've just re-directed their ignorance.

bigboab
08-21-2007, 09:39 AM
I had originally declared a 6 month sabbatical in the lounge the other night but it would be rude not to respond to a thread I'd started. So I'm back to dither a while longer.

When I referred to Ireland, I meant the island as a single entity, not 2 slices of the same apple.
However, it is fair to differentiate. Boab's comment was accurate to a degree but, in my experience, and to extend the simile beyond it's wit, a Northerner is about as welcome as gastroenteritis in a spacesuit. Belfast and Dublin brogues vary vastly and I've seen some southern eyebrows raised when I've ordered a Guinness in the Temple Bar area with my staccato tongue. I think we're bored with hating the English now. At least we understand what they're saying and they are, for the most part, incredibly sensitive and respectful when they descend on our capitals for their stag parties and what have you.

It's mostly Eastern Europeans who bear the brunt of our ire. It's not called Ire-land for nothing. Pocket-communities have begun to form where before there was just exclusively catholics or protestants. Column inches which once contained the knee-cappings of our wayward youths, now contain arson attacks on Poles. As Mr Adams famously threatened; "They haven't gone away, you know", they've just re-directed their ignorance.

I agree. The Dubs don't like the Northerners. If you go to Meath, Cavan and Leitrim they just don't like anybody.:lol:

Chip Monk
08-21-2007, 10:00 AM

I have noticed the same sort of trend in Glasgow. Indeed on Sauchiehall street it is now rare to see a vendor of The Big Issue who would appear to hail from these parts.

Is it too simple to suggest that it is a direct function of certain countries joining the EU, resulting in freedom of movement and employment leading to economic migration.

A friend was walking along the same Sauchiehall Street when he was approached by two men in their mid twenties. In stilted English (with what he thought to be an Eastern European accent) he was asked if he knew the way to the Benefits Office, as they had just arrived. True Story.

The ignorant will always be amongst us. They will nurture their own to that way of living. They will collectively direct their bile in one direction or another. It is, I fear, human nature.

Biggles
08-21-2007, 11:18 AM

I have noticed the same sort of trend in Glasgow. Indeed on Sauchiehall street it is now rare to see a vendor of The Big Issue who would appear to hail from these parts.

Is it too simple to suggest that it is a direct function of certain countries joining the EU, resulting in freedom of movement and employment leading to economic migration.

A friend was walking along the same Sauchiehall Street when he was approached by two men in their mid twenties. In stilted English (with what he thought to be an Eastern European accent) he was asked if he knew the way to the Benefits Office, as they had just arrived. True Story.

The ignorant will always be amongst us. They will nurture their own to that way of living. They will collectively direct their bile in one direction or another. It is, I fear, human nature.

I've noticed that too - where did all our homeless all go?

:O The incomers haven't killed them and eaten their brains have they?

While I don't mind a bit alms giving Glasgow is nigh impossible to negotiate without falling over beggers, having "beeg izzue" yelled at you or being chased up the street by chuggers and assorted weirdos with clipboards. Thank Chebus for ebay.

chalice
08-21-2007, 03:02 PM

Indeed.

I was in Dublin in May for a Loudon Wainwright gig. While Mrs Chalice was decimating my bank account in O'Connell St, I adjourned to the pub to imbibe said stout. The rain notwithstanding, I sat at a table outside to indulge in some cancer. I was taking stabs at the Irish Times crossword when my reverie was disturbed by 2 chaps similar to the pair you mention above...

"Can you give me 4 euros for a bus?", one of them nearly demanded.
"No, mate, I can give you 2." was my emphatic reply.
He looked at his friend in a "aren't these Irish miserable bastards" kinda way.
"But I need 4".
I handed him the employment section, stubbed out my cigarette, and headed back into the pub to converse with the pretty Pole at the bar.

thewizeard
08-21-2007, 08:01 PM

chalice , time to drink out of that beker....Ireland is probably the most spiritual country in this world ...Tara was the seat I thought.. Tibet has a goddess called Tara :rolleyes: good to see you by the way :)

chalice
08-21-2007, 08:41 PM

chalice , time to drink out of that beker....Ireland is probably the most spiritual country in this world ...Tara was the seat I thought.. Tibet has a goddess called Tara :rolleyes: good to see you by the way :)

MN, is that yourself? If so, felicitations. If not, good to see you too anyway.

I fear the hallowed Tara has lost some of her potency. It's become a name for dogs...verily.

And I don't mean coke-addled society bimbos.

Sextent
08-21-2007, 08:50 PM
thewizard is nigel123 mate.

I don't think MN is about just now.

Oh and I have a dog called Tara.

chalice
08-21-2007, 08:55 PM
thewizard is nigel123 mate.

I don't think MN is about just now.

Oh and I have a dog called Tara.

Sorry, Nige. Bloody great to see you still around.

Point proven JP.

Sextent
08-21-2007, 08:58 PM
What makes you think I amn't a coke-addled society bimbo.

I'm quite hurt by that.

chalice
08-21-2007, 09:03 PM
What makes you think I amn't a coke-addled society bimbo.

I'm quite hurt by that.

What? Being a coke-addled society bimbo or me hurting your feelings?

Sextent
08-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Yes