PDA

View Full Version : foul language

SAM
08-20-2007, 02:06 AM
i wanted to post this thread in the lounge but i know those lads is up to no good.
so i just ran away and come here.

why people uses foul language ?
what's so appealing in it that makes them use it?
what's better have fun and make a conversation in a polite way or just calling each other names just for fun ?

i want to know your say in this matter

if you ask me i rather polite laughs and moderate dialogues

but who will ask me as i said those lads is up to no good

waiting for your feedback

Skiz
08-20-2007, 02:32 AM
It's become commonplace these days.

I was talking this with my Mom about this the other day b/c she doesn't like to watch movies with foul language. She can get past the occasional expletive, but the constant f-bomb is what makes her turn a movie off. She told me she didn't even hear that word spoken until her senior year of high school.

Times are changing and peoples opinion of what is considered respectful or polite is changing too, I guess.

SAM
08-20-2007, 02:50 AM
man your mom is right movies shouldn't have too much foul lang in it
and i agree time changes but what about values and morals
i mean those things are constant
and if you use foul lang a lot it will be like a habbit

bunny67
08-20-2007, 02:51 AM
i agree with skizo ..did i just say that:O:lol:

Busyman™
08-20-2007, 02:55 AM
Foul language adds color.

In fact, those used to it don't think of it as foul....as foul meaning offensive.

Richard Pryor wouldn't have been as funny without it. That is not to discount him as a comedian since foul language doesn't in itself make someone funny.

It made him more colorful and down to Earth.

You felt he wasn't telling jokes but this was really him.

The end of that spectrum has Bill Cosby. He was funny and didn't use foul language but nowhere near as funny as Pryor. Richard Pryor tried being straight-laced and he wasn't as funny.

Do I want someone telling a joke that involves excrement as it being "having a bowel movement" or takin' a sheeeit"?

Next thing you know there'd be a shying away of comedians using improper English.

Busyman™
08-20-2007, 02:58 AM

I don't think you know what the fuck you are talking about.

I think if you don't know how to control your language for the situation and your audience then you should concentrate on eliminating using foul language altogether.

I say all type of niggas, motherfuckers, assholes, cunts, twats, shits, and whatnot but I know when not to say it.

Skiz
08-20-2007, 03:10 AM

Well, I don't think she's right. :ph34r:

Some movies need it and are based on the language as being part of the humor or setting the scene. Look at Pulp Fiction - They say "fuck" hundreds of times and it only adds to the greatness of the movie. It's rated #5 on IMDB Top 250, but I could never even suggest for my Mom to watch it b/c she would turn it off in a matter of minutes.

Also, values are not constant. They changes as anything else does. :ermm:

sear
08-20-2007, 03:13 AM
I have to say there is a time and a place for everything. When I'm with my buddies just shooting the breeze than I see nothing wrong with using "foul" language. On the other hand I have no problem switching it off I'm not going to swear in front of my grandmother for instance or my boss (even though he has the foulest mouth of almost anyone I've ever met). Using swear words can also add feeling and emphasis to a conversation and help people understand where you are coming from, tough it's no replacement for the proper use of adjectives and a decent vocabulary. My daily conversations are littered with expletives and I enjoy using them you just have to know how to use them in the right context.

Sam you shouldn't take it too seriously and I'm sure that once people know you are sensitive to swearing most don't use it in front of you or in relation to you. However I disagree that movies or songs or any form of free expression should be regulated in relation to this issue. Who are any of us to tell a director or script writer what to do. If you don't like it then do what Skizo's mum does and switch it off :dabs:

vidcc
08-20-2007, 03:44 AM
I think when it comes to the entertainment industry then it has a place where it's absurd to not use it and a place where using it is absurd.
Billy Connelly did a great skit about it once along with a song called "a four letter word"

With comedy I find gratuitous use makes the joke unfunny, the correct use (if there is such a thing) makes the joke even funnier, but it takes a special talent for it to work.

But that is different from talking in every day life.

While I can't say I never swear, I can say I hardly ever swear. I find the use of foul language in regular conversation vulgar, However one of my all time favorite comedy skits was peter cook and dudley moore. "Derek & Clive"

It goes, "This bloke came up to me.................."

SAM
08-20-2007, 04:10 AM

I think if you don't know how to control your language for the situation and your audience then you should concentrate on eliminating using foul language altogether.

I say all type of niggas, motherfuckers, assholes, cunts, twats, shits, and whatnot but I know when not to say it.
well
i think i know exactly what I'm talking about
and you are an example of how people are just lose the sense of how to recognize when to be polite and when to be not.
I'm not your friend and i don't know you
and this section is for serious conversations only
so what the word f**k has to do with this
you just said you know the proper time to use the foul language
but this isn't the proper time nor the proper place so you just need to reconsider your post

In fact, those used to it don't think of it as foul....as foul meaning offensive.isn't that means it'll turn to a habit so you gonna use to talk foul language and even if you smart enough to know how to use it in the right time and place ; in the long run you won't be able to put limits .
and let me ask you that; what's wrong with being polite i mean you rather like to use foul language than being polite.
by using foul language you give people the right to use it towards you and if you get use it and foul expressions won't offend you that's will turn you to an ignorant.
there was a time were foul language was been used only by peasants and beggars but now i saw well educated people use it and defending using it , what a petty

thewizeard
08-20-2007, 06:19 AM
To be honest it members here ..that trade ..where we have the most difficulty with...when ..as you call it "foul" language is used..most English speaking.. and understanding members, know exactly if it's "foul" or not.. But leechers are leechers whatever language they use.

Busyman
08-20-2007, 01:02 PM

well
i think i know exactly what I'm talking about
and you are an example of how people are just lose the sense of how to recognize when to be polite and when to be not.
I'm not your friend and i don't know you
and this section is for serious conversations only
so what the word f**k has to do with this
you just said you know the proper time to use the foul language
but this isn't the proper time nor the proper place so you just need to reconsider your post

I think not. You focus too much on foul language and nothing else. It seems like foul language is a speed bump from which you can't recover. I don't really give a shit about whether or not you are my friend or whether you know me. I am more in tuned to the real world whether it involves foul language or not.

In fact, those used to it don't think of it as foul....as foul meaning offensive.isn't that means it'll turn to a habit so you gonna use to talk foul language and even if you smart enough to know how to use it in the right time and place ; in the long run you won't be able to put limits .
and let me ask you that; what's wrong with being polite i mean you rather like to use foul language than being polite.
by using foul language you give people the right to use it towards you and if you get use it and foul expressions won't offend you that's will turn you to an ignorant.
there was a time were foul language was been used only by peasants and beggars but now i saw well educated people use it and defending using it , what a petty

There was a time that my nut sac was the size of 2 small cherries but that was ages ago. You have caught in a time warp.

You contradict yourself when you say "you how to use it in the right time or place" then you won't be able to put limits".

Yeah I can put limits. If you are uncomfortable with foul language and know that you won't be able to control yourself by setting limits if you do use it, then....don't use it all.:1eye:

I might be going out on a limb here but I am guessing that you are a youngin'. The use of foul language in everyday life is not the real issue.

The real issue is the lowering of standards for network television.
When someone rationalized the word bitch was okay in name calling on everyday TV because "they are just calling someone a dog" then that's where the problem is.

Parents allowing their children to watch movies with gratuitous violence and language is the issue. If the kids are up, sorry, you can't watch it either.

Constantly using foul language around your kids is the issue.

Again if you can't stop yourself then you need to tell foul language to fuck off.

SAM
08-20-2007, 01:43 PM
You contradict yourself when you say "you how to use it in the right time or place" then you won't be able to put limits".

i didn't, my point is even if you use foul in the right situation ,you won't be able to control yourself completely.

When someone rationalized the word bitch was okay in name calling on everyday TV because "they are just calling someone a dog" then that's where the problem is.
agreed

Constantly using foul language around your kids is the issue
that's really important to discuses

Again if you can't stop yourself then you need to tell foul language to fuck off.
ok, but thinking you can control yourself doesn't mean you really can control it
my question is what's wrong with politeness?
why can't you use polite words instead of foul, isn't this better?

Chip Monk
08-20-2007, 03:13 PM
You are a hypocrite.

Talking about morality and standards.

You object to swearing but feel it's OK to post deeply offensive images.

Look to yourself before you go judging the behaviour of others.

Busyman
08-20-2007, 04:03 PM
i didn't, my point is even if you use foul in the right situation ,you won't be able to control yourself completely.

agreed

Constantly using foul language around your kids is the issue
that's really important to discuses

ok, but thinking you can control yourself doesn't mean you really can control it
my question is what's wrong with politeness?
why can't you use polite words instead of foul, isn't this better?

No not necessarily. It can be quite boring.

Again, the gamut of language adds color to it and what is considered foul language is no different.

SAM
08-20-2007, 05:52 PM
You are a hypocrite.

GO BACK TO THE LOUNGE WHERE YOU BELONG

LaPistola
08-20-2007, 05:55 PM
your just angry because he's right

SAM
08-20-2007, 05:59 PM
your just angry because he's right
i have no comment
but ignored for good

LaPistola
08-20-2007, 06:27 PM
Lol

100%
08-20-2007, 07:05 PM
I swear too much.

sear
08-20-2007, 08:17 PM
You are a hypocrite.

GO BACK TO THE LOUNGE WHERE YOU BELONG
m8 what's going on, who are you to tell any member of this forum where they belong...particularly one that's been around a lot longer than you? Getting angry at someone for stating their opinion is much worse than using foul language. Why not reason with them if you disagree? But above all have a little respect for your fellow FST members. A joke is one thing but imo yelling at people in the drawing room is a bit much.

SAM
08-20-2007, 08:33 PM
sear ,
last night i posted a pic they took it the wrong why/ and i said I'm sorry and delete it but they kept posting it and just don't let it go.
i didn't mean to post that pic and i didn't see it properly b4 i posted it
i know I'm wrong and i said I'm sorry
this member isn't my friend
his talk got nothing to do with issue of the thread
he questioned my morals he has no right to do that
i put him on ignore already
end of story

bigboab
08-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Rule 8 - Profanity There will be no excessive use of profanity. Please keep all foul language to a minimum. Action will be taken against those who choose to disobey, no exceptions.

The above rule covers your complaint.
The last time they tried to implement a complete ban there was a 'riot'.:)

sear
08-20-2007, 09:01 PM
@sam, fair enough but what I said still holds true better than getting angry would be to ignore it in the first place. Must have been pretty sick pic for it to upset the lounge :lol:

p.s fu*k rule 8 ;)

Chip Monk
08-20-2007, 10:08 PM
sear ,

i didn't mean to post that pic

I've already asked you to explain that and you didn't. How could you post a picture without meaning to, that's just ridiculous.

It really is an untenable position to take.

It's appalling that you have the audacity to decry other posters for their use of certain words, whilst you are willing to post such images yourself.

Particularly when there are now numerous examples of you using words like "cunt" in The Lounge.

I say again, you are a total hypocrite.

SAM
08-20-2007, 11:19 PM
i was searching for a pic in google i typed "retard" he gave some pics i took the first link and posted, didn't look to the image.
now this member wasn't even there yesterday
why he makes a big deal of it despite the fact i apologizes yesterday and today
he just have nothing to say he just tries to offend me for no reason
this thread is about how and when you use foul language and is the media use of foul language is appropriate .
this is has nothing to do with my morals and how i behave. this general issue got nothing to do with my behavior.
this member just try to call me names and makes me angry.
but it's a lame attempt
i put him on ignore he will stay this way.
so when i said to go to the lounge i meant by that
the drawing room is for serious discussions not calling people names and stuff and not for trying picking on me for my religion and country and made jokes over them
i only trying to be nice to people if they hate me because where i come from and what god i worship it's their problem

Busyman™
08-21-2007, 12:40 AM
i was searching for a pic in google i typed "retard" he gave some pics i took the first link and posted, didn't look to the image.
now this member wasn't even there yesterday
why he makes a big deal of it despite the fact i apologizes yesterday and today
he just have nothing to say he just tries to offend me for no reason
this thread is about how and when you use foul language and is the media use of foul language is appropriate .
this is has nothing to do with my morals and how i behave. this general issue got nothing to do with my behavior.
this member just try to call me names and makes me angry.
but it's a lame attempt
i put him on ignore he will stay this way.
the drawing room is for serious discussions not calling people names and stuff and not for trying picking on me for my religion and country and made jokes over them
i only trying to be nice to people if they hate me because where i come from and what god i worship it's their problem

The point is that you try to make a correlation between foul language and politeness yet act as if morals are another matter.

You searched for retard in Google images and posted the link without seeing the picture.

I rarely agree with GayPaul but you are talking bullshit.

Oh and that foul language word was used for emphasis rather than saying male cow excrement.:1eye:

So now that you have your answer as to why people use what you deem foul language, why don't you start a new thread on hypocrites at podiums.

SAM
08-21-2007, 12:59 AM
you try to question my morals
if you have something regarding the thread issue ok
if you don't please don't address me
you don't have any right to judge me
my behavior isn't your concern nor the ways i used
you have problem go to the forum staff
don't talk to me

LaPistola
08-21-2007, 01:18 AM

Yes but Chip Monk was not picking on you he was just pointing out some criticism, before you try and change the world maybe you should change yourself, and as far as the making fun of your religion, no one in this thread has made fun of your religion or your country

Chewie
08-21-2007, 02:03 AM
I'm not convinced there's much correlation between foul language and morality.

I do 'have morals' - I always act on what I think is right and fair - yet I sometimes swear for little or no reason. It just slips out occasionally. (oo-er missus)

I do manage to hold back when needed, though.
I don't swear in front of customers, at suppliers or to three of the four directors at work (the fourth is an arse :P) but to office colleagues (women included :blushing:) I must seem like a right potty-mouth. :lol:

SAM
08-21-2007, 02:16 AM
ok let's just forget the past and start over
this thread isn't been pointed at anyone this thread is a general issue i want your feedback on this issue.:)
just forget the poster and focus on thread.
i really try to have friends here not try to pick fights.

thewizeard
08-21-2007, 04:49 AM
I swear too much.

I swear too little.. ffs

Chip Monk
08-21-2007, 09:32 AM
It's only words, upon which an arbitrary decision has been made that they are improper in polite society. They aren't even constant and change with time.

The decision to not use them in certain circumstances would be based on deferring to what would make the others present most comfortable. I do not know anyone who is not capable of doing that.

You are in a pub with friends you speak a certain way, with your children you speak a certain way. However the same can probably said about what you laugh at, how you dress, loads of different things. Most human beings are multi-faceted, tho' some people think that we shouldn't be and should talk, walk, dress the same way all of the time. They would deny us freedom of expression and freedom of action.

SAM
08-21-2007, 01:30 PM
It's only words, upon which an arbitrary decision has been made that they are improper in polite society. They aren't even constant and change with time.

The decision to not use them in certain circumstances would be based on deferring to what would make the others present most comfortable. I do not know anyone who is not capable of doing that.

You are in a pub with friends you speak a certain way, with your children you speak a certain way. However the same can probably said about what you laugh at, how you dress, loads of different things. Most human beings are multi-faceted, tho' some people think that we shouldn't be and should talk, walk, dress the same way all of the time. They would deny us freedom of expression and freedom of action.
that's realy good comment

Busyman™
08-21-2007, 11:26 PM
ok let's just forget the past and start over
this thread isn't been pointed at anyone this thread is a general issue i want your feedback on this issue.:)
just forget the poster and focus on thread.
i really try to have friends here not try to pick fights.

Everyone has said the same thing except for you.

Know your audience.

Know your surroundings.

I don't get how that is so hard for you to understand.

Most humans are not brainless automatons.

To a mild acquaintance I might say, "Hey man. What's up?"

To wifey I might say, "What the fuck you doin', woman? Fix me a fried up egg samich."

They both are okay.

SAM
08-21-2007, 11:33 PM
why you so aggressive man we are talking not fighting
if you like to talk foul language who cares about it?

j2k4
08-21-2007, 11:45 PM
Only a moderator knows when the usage of epithets exceeds propriety or the bounds of good taste.

If you transgress, we'll fucking well let you dickheads know. :yup:

chalice
08-22-2007, 12:09 AM
Only a moderator knows when the usage of epithets exceeds propriety or the bounds of good taste.

I was wondering where you had got to...

Must have good lawyers..

Or you spoke up for yourself.

Busyman™
08-22-2007, 01:56 AM

why you so aggressive man we are talking not fighting
if you like to talk foul language who cares about it?

SAM
08-22-2007, 02:23 AM
my point was very clear but i guess no one was paying attention
so i'll make it easy as possible
well- educated people all around the world don't use foul language i mean those how has a faculty degree and graduated from well known universities.
the reason behind that is simple they just feel that by using foul language it will makes them look bad and ruins their image among their environment.
low level people in the other hand heal their demerits and their lack of knowledge by foul language because they have no other thing to protect them and if someone try to correct them they just snap and try to shut him up.
cause they don't wanna hear it .they like it : it suits them and suits where they coming from that's why only people who comes from poor neighborhoods ,people who don't have well education living and surrounding by ignorants are likely to use foul language in daily basis and tries to make it looks good.
not to mention other people who just look at foul language as a good way to express their feelings in some situations.
so high level of education and knowledge the man is the lesser he will use foul words

unattended
08-22-2007, 03:06 AM
well- educated people all around the world don't use foul language i mean those how has a faculty degree and graduated from well known universities.
This is absolutely untrue. I know many people with degrees from well-known universities (like myself) who use what you would consider foul language all the time.

The difference being that some people (maybe the well-educated) tend to be better at thinking before they speak and knowing who they may not want to use that language around. But if you get them around a group of friends...all bets are off.

sear
08-22-2007, 03:17 AM
That's a bit of a mass generalisation sam. I figure your just stirring the pot so how's this. I declare bullshit. I swear when I feel like it and the situation dictates. According to your formula that makes me poorly educated and;
low level people How do you explain that I have a masters degree from one of the best universities in Australia (alas no PHD...yet) and an interesting well paying job that thousands of other people are vying for?

Saying fuck once in a while doesn't make someone lower class or worse than anyone else. I can think of lots of people I know who would never swear and don't have the same level of education I do. So do I look down at them for not swearing, of course not. In the same way you shouldn't look down on people who do. Part of being educated is having experience in the real world and out there people swear, get over it.

P.S good thread it's definitely stirred up some debate.

bigboab
08-22-2007, 07:06 AM
the reason behind that is simple they just feel that by using foul language it will makes them look bad and ruins their image among their environment.
low level people in the other hand heal their demerits and their lack of knowledge by foul language because they have no other thing to protect them and if someone try to correct them they just snap and try to shut him up.
cause they don't wanna hear it .they like it : it suits them and suits where they coming from that's why only people who comes from poor neighborhoods ,people who don't have well education living and surrounding by ignorants are likely to use foul language in daily basis and tries to make it looks good.
not to mention other people who just look at foul language as a good way to express their feelings in some situations.
so high level of education and knowledge the man is the lesser he will use foul words

I can understand your point Sam. Foul language is more abound in poorer areas of society. Possibly because they do not know an adjective to fit the situation. Almost everyone adjusts to their surroundings. Offhand I cannot think of anyone who does not swear. I personally would not swear if I thought I was setting a bad example. Except when I hit my thumb with a hammer. Then I don't care who is present.:lol:

When you boil it all down an oath is just another word, albeit uncultivated. A bit like a weed. It is an uncultivated plant. Sorry, I am havering, again.:whistling

j2k4
08-22-2007, 09:58 AM

I was wondering where you had got to...

Must have good lawyers..

Or you spoke up for yourself.

You were wondering where I had got to?

Hmmph.

I am (these days) pretty much limited to a quick peek here and there, forum-wise...work is the watchword.

How's yourself, sir?

SAM
08-22-2007, 02:43 PM
maybe you didn't read my ending statement:)
"so high level of education and knowledge the man is the lesser he will use foul words"
the lesser=they use foul language but not in a daily basis not often not always

Busyman
08-22-2007, 05:57 PM
maybe you didn't read my ending statement:)
"so high level of education and knowledge the man is the lesser he will use foul words"
the lesser=they use foul language but not in a daily basis not often not always

I mostly disagree with that.

The way I can say a more well educated person is less likely to curse is if that person's dictates not cursing and/or that person is trying to show off their vocab.

Other than that I see too many of the well educated bosses curse worse than their underlings. I guess their high positions allow them more leeway.

Squeamous
09-21-2007, 09:54 PM
You're totally barking up the wrong tree Sam. I'm pretty well educated but my speech is littered with expletives. It always amuses me when people claim that those who swear do so 'because they don't know any other words'. Actually, those who don't swear have a more limited vocabulary by virtue of the fact that they have ruled out a whole section of the English language.

I do struggle with the hypocrisy of people who defend swearing but say they do so only in certain situations.

Sextent
09-22-2007, 10:16 AM
I do struggle with the hypocrisy of people who defend swearing but say they do so only in certain situations.

How is it hypocrisy. People may chose not to swear at work, in front of small children, at church, at semi-formal dinner parties, in a wide range of occasions. By definition they are choosing to allow themselves to swear in other circumstances. How is that hypocrisy.

j2k4
09-22-2007, 01:08 PM

How is it hypocrisy. People may chose not to swear at work, in front of small children, at church, at semi-formal dinner parties, in a wide range of occasions. By definition they are choosing to allow themselves to swear in other circumstances. How is that hypocrisy.

You neglected to forestall a further waste of cyber-ink by failing to mention what it actually is - discrimination - which word has regretfully fallen into disuse owing to the froth of rhetoric over racism, etc.

Ooops...almost forgot...:whistling

Chip Monk
09-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Indeed, I do discriminate. Good point well made.

j2k4
09-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Indeed, I do discriminate. Good point well made.

I'm sure you'd have amended things, had I dallied.

I just happened to be looking at the right time. :whistling

Squeamous
09-24-2007, 10:31 PM

I mean mostly the fact that people will swear like troopers but say they don't do it in front of their kids. It's hypocrisy for an adult to do one thing and instruct a child to do the opposite. If you swear in public why be precious about your kids hearing it? (not you particularly but in general).

Personally, I swear when the mood takes me wherever I am. To me it's just a part of language and can be very expressive at the right times.

Busyman
09-25-2007, 01:51 PM

I mean mostly the fact that people will swear like troopers but say they don't do it in front of their kids. It's hypocrisy for an adult to do one thing and instruct a child to do the opposite. If you swear in public why be precious about your kids hearing it? (not you particularly but in general).

Personally, I swear when the mood takes me wherever I am. To me it's just a part of language and can be very expressive at the right times.

Ok I agree with GayPaul.

I swear like a trooper but don't do it in front of my kids.

How the hell does that make one a hypocrite?:dry:

I also have sex, drink liquor, have sex, speed in my car on occasion, have sex, and have sex.

I'd tell my daughter not to do any of those things but when she hits adulthood, she has choices to make.

I think you were trying to make a point but ended up not making sense instead.

Something Else
09-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Words are just words, to be scared or offended by some or any isn't necessary...IMO

Busyman
09-25-2007, 05:28 PM
Words are just words, to be scared or offended by some or any isn't necessary...IMO

Mmk, that makes no sense either.:ermm:

Something Else
09-25-2007, 06:20 PM
I mean especially if somebody uses a foul-word and it's not directed at you, why be upset? I don't get it....

Voetsek
09-25-2007, 06:25 PM
lekker!

100%
09-25-2007, 06:25 PM
FUCK!
i said in the car, two days ago

A little voice next to me then said

"fak fak fak fak"

(my two year old)

This word obviously meant something more /real or (other) because out of the blue today he did it again, even though i had not said the word since the last time.

"fak, fak fak fak"

what rhymes with fuck which is not fuck apart from duck? ( distraction mode)

need to add to my vocabulary level.

:pinch:

Mr JP Fugley
09-25-2007, 10:01 PM

If you meant the hypocrisy specifically in relation to swearing in front of children it would probably have been better if you had said that.

Personally I doubt that you don't moderate your language depending on the situation. You may do it subconsciously but you probably do it.

Mr JP Fugley
09-25-2007, 10:07 PM

I'm not scared or offended by them, I just chose not to use them in certain circumstances. On a vist to the Doctor for example I am unlikely to speak in the same manner as I do when speaking to mates when drunk.

I am of a certain age however, so the social graces may be different for me. Tho' I suspect that on a first date most of you would moderate your language. The ones who have actually had full sex with a woman know what I'm talking about. The rest of you may wish to think about that one.

manicgeek
09-26-2007, 10:43 PM
FUCK!
i said in the car, two days ago

A little voice next to me then said

"fak fak fak fak"

(my two year old)

This word obviously meant something more /real or (other) because out of the blue today he did it again, even though i had not said the word since the last time.

"fak, fak fak fak"

what rhymes with fuck which is not fuck apart from duck? ( distraction mode)

need to add to my vocabulary level.

:pinch:
Nope you don't... you need to think how a two year old thinks... he wants to be understood... so ask him what he's saying... and when he says it ask him again... tell him is doesn't mean anything and ask him what he's talking about... it worked for me, albeit the problem word for me was shit.

Squeamous
09-26-2007, 10:52 PM
Ok I agree with GayPaul.

I also have sex, drink liquor, have sex, speed in my car on occasion, have sex, and have sex.

I'd tell my daughter not to do any of those things but when she hits adulthood, she has choices to make.

I think you're being slightly ridiculous. Swearing is just words....just a part of the English language. Swearing doesn't require any sort of adult judgement to participate in because it's about self expression. All of the other things you mentioned could prove fatal in someone without the capacity for abstract thought.

The hypocrisy lies in the fact that people just don't like to hear children swear...it's something they see as the preserve of the worldly. People would be better off worrying about how children use language in general, and maybe focus on their use of disparaging and disrespectful words to other people or their absymal use of the vernacular in inappropriate settings....far more annoying than swearing.

Just as an aside btw, I didn't call anyone a hypocrite, I said that sometimes people can be hypocritical.

Squeamous
09-26-2007, 10:57 PM
I don't moderate my language at all for anyone. I have a very good vocabulary and I'm not about to limit it because of an outdated perception of swearing. Sure, sometimes my parents or my boss perceptibly wince when they hear it but it's tough titties as far as I'm concerned. Not sure if I've ever sworn at the doctor's but then I can't imagine getting all that animated about getting some birth control or a smear done.

Busyman™
09-27-2007, 12:25 AM
Ok I agree with GayPaul.

I think you're being slightly ridiculous. Swearing is just words....just a part of the English language. Swearing doesn't require any sort of adult judgement to participate in because it's about self expression. All of the other things you mentioned could prove fatal in someone without the capacity for abstract thought.

The hypocrisy lies in the fact that people just don't like to hear children swear...it's something they see as the preserve of the worldly. People would be better off worrying about how children use language in general, and maybe focus on their use of disparaging and disrespectful words to other people or their absymal use of the vernacular in inappropriate settings....far more annoying than swearing.

Just as an aside btw, I didn't call anyone a hypocrite, I said that sometimes people can be hypocritical.

Cool, now you argue semantics. Ok then. I never said you called anyone a hypocrite.

As aside btw, define a hypocrite.

Now, I guess you are cool with it but I am not cool with my kid calling someone a bitch ass ho or when frustrated, saying, "Fuck this shit, gawdamnit!"

With that in mind, kids tend to mimic adult speech (really speech in general), particularly at a young age when, I dunno, they are still grasping the English language.

I can't see how anyone on here would agree with you. I can just imagine you walking into a room smoking your last little bit o' weed and saying to your kid, "Hey I heard you been fuckin' up in school."

:mellow:

Busyman™
09-27-2007, 12:29 AM
I don't moderate my language at all for anyone. I have a very good vocabulary and I'm not about to limit it because of an outdated perception of swearing. Sure, sometimes my parents or my boss perceptibly wince when they hear it but it's tough titties as far as I'm concerned. Not sure if I've ever sworn at the doctor's but then I can't imagine getting all that animated about getting some birth control or a smear done.

That's cool. You don't bite your tongue for anyone.

For other folk, things like their job, children, other relatives like their elders, and the general public make them watch they say.

You must make the milliyons or you are a hobo.:ermm:

It would just be dandy for my kid to curse like Eazy-E and when confronted by me she says, "Shit daddy, it's just the English language. Get a fucking grip."

Maybe she'd still have a tooth left.

j2k4
09-28-2007, 01:25 AM
I don't moderate my language at all for anyone.
Sure, sometimes my parents or my boss perceptibly wince when they hear it but it's tough titties as far as I'm concerned.

So, then, the pleasure of your company involves/requires the occasional wince, eh?

What's the upside to such self-indulgence?

Hell, I'm as intent as anyone on being "myself", but I actively avoid behavior or language designed to elicit wincing, cringing, or embarrassment, as it doesn't wear well. :whistling

Squeamous
09-28-2007, 09:04 PM

Now, I guess you are cool with it but I am not cool with my kid calling someone a bitch ass ho or when frustrated, saying, "Fuck this shit, gawdamnit!"

I can't see how anyone on here would agree with you. I can just imagine you walking into a room smoking your last little bit o' weed and saying to your kid, "Hey I heard you been fuckin' up in school."

I think you can probably look up the word 'hypocrisy' in any good dictionary ;).

No, I probably wouldn't be happy with my kid saying the things you mentioned, but the first because they're Americanisms which would sound pretty silly in a suburb in England, the second one because swearing is best used sparingly otherwise it becomes meaningless. Swearing shouldn't be used as a substitute for a decent vocabulary.

And I've never done drugs of any kid except for alcohol.....I can't stand potheads.

Squeamous
09-28-2007, 09:06 PM

For other folk, things like their job, children, other relatives like their elders, and the general public make them watch they say.

It would just be dandy for my kid to curse like Eazy-E and when confronted by me she says, "Shit daddy, it's just the English language. Get a fucking grip."

No, I'm a research technician. I go to work wearing jeans and a t-shirt too.....read it and weep :P.

If any kid told me to get a grip they'd be lucky to have a tooth left regardless of the swearing.

Squeamous
09-28-2007, 09:11 PM
So, then, the pleasure of your company involves/requires the occasional wince, eh?

Hell, I'm as intent as anyone on being "myself", but I actively avoid behavior or language designed to elicit wincing, cringing, or embarrassment, as it doesn't wear well. :whistling

I don't do it to elicit any kind of response. If people respond that way that's a neurosis that they will either have to deal with in their own time or try to live with. It's a stupid thing to get upset about and I'm not about to tailor-make my conversation to suit the over-sensitive.

Biggles
09-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Hello Squeamy

I see you have dipped into the Drawing Room

Talking of language my daughter occasionally frequents the Lounge and she has a choice turn of phrase :pinch:

I do have to think about language in a work context especially if dealing with business associates or foreign military types. If I am simply trying to balance some books the air can turn incendiary. :dabs:

j2k4
09-28-2007, 10:15 PM
I do have to think about language in a work context especially if dealing with business associates or foreign military types. If I am simply trying to balance some books the air can turn incendiary. :dabs:

Try as I might, I cannot imagine anyone in your company saying, "Oh, why don't you mind your manners, Les."

Incendiary air while totting up, though?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall. :whistling

I don't do it to elicit any kind of response. If people respond that way that's a neurosis that they will either have to deal with in their own time or try to live with. It's a stupid thing to get upset about and I'm not about to tailor-make my conversation to suit the over-sensitive.

Then I apologize for misapprehending your intent in speaking plainly.

I should have said that, if one considers him or herself to be proudly plain-spoken, he or she should also be possessed of the ability to recognize when situations call for a lighter touch, and speak accordingly, as when (for instance) discussing the negative aspects of chemotherapy in the presence of someone whose mother or brother or favorite old Auntie may coincidentally be undergoing same across town.

I'm sure you would never be so insensitive.

Welcome to the board, BTW- :whistling

Squeamous
09-29-2007, 12:07 AM
Hello Squeamy

I see you have dipped into the Drawing Room

Talking of language my daughter occasionally frequents the Lounge and she has a choice turn of phrase :pinch:

Hello 'Biggles' :P

I'll have to dip into the lounge too then.

I find swearing sometimes helps.....like for instance when you have the painters in and they've filled up the goods lift with crap ;). It's funny though.....men seem to like the swearing. I'm not sure why that is.

Squeamous
09-29-2007, 12:13 AM
Then I apologize for misapprehending your intent in speaking plainly.

I should have said that, if one considers him or herself to be proudly plain-spoken, he or she should also be possessed of the ability to recognize when situations call for a lighter touch, and speak accordingly, as when (for instance) discussing the negative aspects of chemotherapy in the presence of someone whose mother or brother or favorite old Auntie may coincidentally be undergoing same across town.

I'm sure you would never be so insensitive.

Welcome to the board, BTW- :whistling

No apologies needed, it does sound a bit that way from how I've written it.

I'm afraid that no, I don't really have a light touch. In fact I recently told someone at work that I didn't understand why people with depression don't just shut up about it and get on with it without trying to make the rest of us 'understand'......then found out her mother is a schizophrenic and she is a manic depressive.

On the upside she never talks to me about any of it now :happy:.

Thank you for the welcome :).

Busyman™
09-29-2007, 12:22 AM

I think you can probably look up the word 'hypocrisy' in any good dictionary ;).

No, I probably wouldn't be happy with my kid saying the things you mentioned, but the first because they're Americanisms which would sound pretty silly in a suburb in England, the second one because swearing is best used sparingly otherwise it becomes meaningless. Swearing shouldn't be used as a substitute for a decent vocabulary.

And I've never done drugs of any kid except for alcohol.....I can't stand potheads.

No I think you need to look it up. You don't have to call someone a hypocrite to call someone a hypocrite. I didn't say hypocrisy. You'll find that if you look up the word, however, that they are related.

You argue semantics regarding Americanisms. Substitute some fucked up curse words from bratland then.

It's nice that you haven't done drugs of any kid besides the alki....

Been watching the movie I Come In Peace?

Busyman™
09-29-2007, 12:24 AM

No, I'm a research technician. I go to work wearing jeans and a t-shirt too.....read it and weep :P.

If any kid told me to get a grip they'd be lucky to have a tooth left regardless of the swearing.

I'm a tech as well for the phone company. High-speed data, beeeotch. :snooty:

Busyman™
09-29-2007, 12:26 AM

Then you are in a very small minority like rich people.

Squeamous
09-29-2007, 12:37 AM
No I think you need to look it up. You don't have to call someone a hypocrite to call someone a hypocrite. I didn't say hypocrisy. You'll find that if you look up the word, however, that they are related.

You argue semantics regarding Americanisms. Substitute some fucked up curse words from bratland then.

I'm not sure what any of that means.

Squeamous
09-29-2007, 12:38 AM
I'm a tech as well for the phone company. High-speed data, beeeotch. :snooty:

Oooooo, get you! :lol:

Squeamous
09-29-2007, 12:39 AM
Then you are in a very small minority like rich people.

Aw, thanks! You're a sweetheart!

j2k4
09-29-2007, 12:50 AM
I recently told someone at work that I didn't understand why people with depression don't just shut up about it and get on with it without trying to make the rest of us 'understand'......then found out her mother is a schizophrenic and she is a manic depressive.

Something similar:

Every day I find myself conversing at length with people over wide-ranging topics, and happened into a chat the other day with a fellow who was about to change jobs for a significantly more friendly insurance situation, for which he was especially thankful, owing to his own medication regimen.

I and my wife both have a moderate drug schedule, so I nonchalantly asked what drugs he was taking, and for what ailment.

He replied he was a paranoid schizophrenic with a variety of comingling secondary neuroses, which he rattled off so quickly I got the impression he'd practiced just for me.

I was almost mortified before I realized he hadn't taken any offense at all, and we commenced to have a very informative conversation about mental illness.

The upshot is, I guess, a lack of inhibition is sometimes of singular benefit. :whistling

Squeamous
09-29-2007, 01:09 AM
I recently told someone at work that I didn't understand why people with depression don't just shut up about it and get on with it without trying to make the rest of us 'understand'......then found out her mother is a schizophrenic and she is a manic depressive.

Something similar:

Every day I find myself conversing at length with people over wide-ranging topics, and happened into a chat the other day with a fellow who was about to change jobs for a significantly more friendly insurance situation, for which he was especially thankful, owing to his own medication regimen.

I and my wife both have a moderate drug schedule, so I nonchalantly asked what drugs he was taking, and for what ailment.

He replied he was a paranoid schizophrenic with a variety of comingling secondary neuroses, which he rattled off so quickly I got the impression he'd practiced just for me.

I was almost mortified before I realized he hadn't taken any offense at all, and we commenced to have a very informative conversation about mental illness.

The upshot is, I guess, a lack of inhibition is sometimes of singular benefit. :whistling

A bit of a case of 'share, don't scare' shurely? Now that sounds like a man used to talking about himself!

Seriously though, most people have no problem at all with honesty if it's coming from the right place. Most people know you don't know their lives or situations...it's only the oversensitive types who seem to enjoy being offended who will take issue with honest dialogue. Others will usually engage you and you'll probably learn something from it.......or they might run away crying. It's a bit of a lucky dip :D.

Busyman™
09-29-2007, 01:17 AM

I'm not sure what any of that means.

I bet.

dave12
10-06-2007, 07:45 AM
people think that if they speak foul language the others will give them more attention and thats their way of getting popularity here

j2k4
10-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Some
people think that if they speak foul language the others will give them more attention and thats their way of getting popularity here

:fixed