PDA

View Full Version : Does PeerGuardian2 actually make a difference?

camelfilters
08-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Does it actually make a difference and actually keep you "safer"? I've researched and many people just say it just provides a false sense of security for the users.

anions
08-31-2007, 05:07 PM
... and many people just say it just provides a false sense of security for the users.

My thoughts exactly...

There are millions on the bittorrent network, so if you do end up as an unlucky brat, there's not much you can do to prevent it can you...

Anyways, downloading stuff aint illegal, uploading is...

snap3r
08-31-2007, 05:10 PM
nope > it doesnt make any diference at all > its beter if you use utorrent with ip filter :D
search it on google im sure you will find it

peat moss
09-01-2007, 07:32 AM
I'v never seen a reason to use it .

Hairbautt
09-01-2007, 11:51 AM
I'v never seen a reason to use it .
TorrentFreak did a bit about it: Do P2P Blocklists Keep you Safe?
(http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-news-section-95/t-do-p2p-blocklists-keep-you-safe-174603/?highlight=Peerguardian)

It wasn't really tested over a BT network tho' :unsure: but I've logged Safe.net hits before :dry:

Chewie
09-01-2007, 02:42 PM
It's blocked lots of Safe.net connection attempts for me too.

Hairbautt
09-01-2007, 02:44 PM
It's blocked lots of Safe.net connection attempts for me too.
Yeah there was a topic at Phoenix Labs 'bout that. Seems to have happened to alotta people.

It's been a while since I got hit from'em now...Ever since I did a reinstall...:unsure:

mr. nails
09-04-2007, 07:45 PM
downloading stuff aint illegal, uploading is...

fact

Brenya
09-04-2007, 10:09 PM
downloading stuff aint illegal, uploading is...

fact
Not in America........................................................

Does it actually make a difference and actually keep you "safer"?
Camelfilters... let me respond in the form of an analogy. In this analogy, a computer with an IP filter running, in this context, is like a 300-Spartan shielding himself from the black arrows of the Persian army. Only since we are dealing with an imperfect IP filter, in that it can't possibly block every anti-p2p IP address, this shield was a few holes in it big enough for 1 arrow to pierce its defense.
Now put yourself in the warriors shoes (or sandals!) and make a decision - would you rather go into battle with the hole-ridden shield or with no shield at all?

Your answer to that question will tell you whether you think an IP filter makes a difference. :rolleyes:

I've researched and many people just say it just provides a false sense of security for the users.
First of all, you have to put the word security into some sort of context. Are they talking about "marginal" security, "acceptable" security, or "perfect" security. While Peerguardian does provide marginal and, at least to me, acceptable security, it does not and will never rovide perfect security. It seems to me that they are referring to "perfect" security. I'll give you some insight into the world of technology... no data is perfectly secure. Secondly, f*ck those bastards. They are trying to tell you how you feel. They are generalizing people's expectations regarding an IP filter. Anyone with half a brain can realize that IP filters aren't perfect, so no one should expect them to be.

Those people are paranoid alarmists. Be rational. Think of how many people are using BitTorrent in the same manner as you. Then notice how many of them aren't using an IP filter, while you are. If you are afraid of getting caught, then this might provide you some comfort: Anti-P2P organizations only go after those about whom they have collected the most information ( or at least I presume, because the more information they have, the better a chance they have in the court of law and the more money for which they can sue you).

abu_has_the_power
09-13-2007, 05:55 PM
lol. download shit is illegal

peerguardian does help

when i download the newest dvd rips and tcs, i get people like the mpaa, riaa, different universities, media defender, trying to fuck with my protowall. pwned

Alkameno
09-13-2007, 10:08 PM
I dont like it...It just blocks some high speed uploaders.

Brenya
09-15-2007, 03:26 AM
in my experience the anti-p2p ipfilter doesn't filter any 'high speed uploaders'. universities have a reputation of have high speed bandwidths, so you might just want to use the anti-p2p ipfilter only - and leave the edu ipfilter (as well as everything else) unchecked.

Shiranai_Baka
09-15-2007, 06:47 AM

yeah the high speed uploaders are the ones who are going to sue your ass :).

kirktrix
09-15-2007, 06:57 AM
I use it when i was new in torrents.. but now i uninstalled it.... i don't see any difference having one or not... maybe for people that lived in US or other country that is very strict in piracy it will help them....

Brenya
09-15-2007, 07:07 AM
i'd use the ipfilter.dat for utorrent anyway. ask fstrulz for a tut or something. when i have ipfilter enabled in utor, in the log i see a crap-load of ips being blocked when i download from public trackers. it's basically just the anti-p2p list on PG. All you need, really..

I use it when i was new in torrents.. but now i uninstalled it.... i don't see any difference having one or not... maybe for people that lived in US or other country that is very strict in piracy it will help them....
kirktrix, you contradicted yourself. first you said that you see no real difference (i.e. you did not block many, if any ips using PG), however you expect it to help people who live in a country that has strict copyright laws. it doesn't matter what country you are in.. you are still able to connect to (or potentially block) the ips on the blocklist...

kirktrix
09-15-2007, 07:31 AM
kirktrix, you contradicted yourself. first you said that you see no real difference (i.e. you did not block many, if any ips using PG), however you expect it to help people who live in a country that has strict copyright laws. it doesn't matter what country you are in.. you are still able to connect to (or potentially block) the ips on the blocklist...

Sorry for my bad english... Just a clarification what i have said... PG really works in blocking IP's for sure because i try it..... i have said that there is no real difference using it for me because either i use it or not it will not affect me..... im working here in china and piracy is all over the place here....

Brenya
09-15-2007, 04:42 PM
i have said that there is no real difference using it for me because either i use it or not it will not affect me..... im working here in china and piracy is all over the place here....
haha ok i understand.

huqiming
09-16-2007, 07:06 PM
PG2 often messed up my firewall.
p2p filter will just do the same job.

briand5379
09-20-2007, 11:32 PM
I've never had any problems with PG. I know if you try to use a site like eztv it blocks about 75% of the peers out there if you have everything enabled. So if anything it's about how it's configured.