PDA

View Full Version : Upload speeds with Comcast

embolism
08-24-2007, 11:39 PM
To all who use comcast cable in US:
I understand on average we do great on speed tests, however when it comes to actual uploading the speeds on U torrents or Azureus depends.
Please post your max upload speeds on comcast (US folks) with what region (like south, west, central, if you dont want to mention the state you are from).
I want to know where all Comcast might be using methods to curb this!!
We are together we can fight this!!

Bo0ddha
08-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Is anyone else noticing this new bullsh*t that comcast is killing torrent uploads? For me I used to have my upload maxed out between about 3 trackers. Now I can barely keep it at 3/4. Only TVT is really getting the bandwidth, and I figure thats because I would assume that is a more American crowd and fellow comcast users.

BTW I'm in the midwest.

haydeno
08-25-2007, 12:08 AM
750\43( bursts occationally to 200+ due to power boost but that only lasts a few secs, 1-2 mb i think)

embolism
08-25-2007, 12:12 AM
Other than doing the right things on U torrents (we all know what to click) is there any thing else which we can do to improve upload speeds? Only through great upload speeds we can build up our ratios

haydeno
08-25-2007, 12:23 AM
u can pay i think $10 more to get Gold speed which is 8\768 vs 6\384

deuce6000
08-25-2007, 12:32 AM
Yeah they just recently started blocking .torrent speeds i got lucky and time warner bought out comcast in my area just before this shit happened.

Salvia
08-25-2007, 12:37 AM
comcast denies it, but we all know theyre running sandvine. supposedly utorrent is addressing the issue

nikmash232
08-25-2007, 12:37 AM
i get 160 kb/s up if im lucky...but nothing constant except on filelist...i think there are lots of comcast users there

embolism
08-25-2007, 12:40 AM
150kpbs up is awesome with regular comcast cable!

Bo0ddha
08-25-2007, 12:50 AM
http://whalesalad.com/2006/08/27/tunneling-bittorrent-over-ssh/

Anyone tried this? Anyone know of a free place? Yes I'm a cheap ass and dont want to send the $1.

avoozl
08-25-2007, 03:27 AM
I'm on Comcast west, 8\768 package. I can get about 80kb/sec average on a fresh .torrent, with occasional "bursts" up to 200 kb/sec. Soon thereafter, the "bandwidth shaping" occurs, and I am back down to nothing.

blEnder
08-25-2007, 03:31 AM
This is something that started a few months ago in certain parts of the US. It has eventually moved across the country. There are still some users that aren't effected by the comcast shaping.

Thing is the shaping doesn't really effect when you are connected to other comcast leechers. Basically comcast only shapes the uploads when you are connected to people on other ISPs.

Anyway, there is no solution yet.

As mentioned the SSH link above might be one solution. Or you could find a private VPN and tunnel through that.

One day some genius will figure out how to fix it in the torrent app, but as of right now I don't think there is a solution.

embolism
08-25-2007, 03:45 AM
If I establish a VPN through my router (dwrt linksys modified) can I figure a way to tunnel through that and increase upload speeds

Nikmash and avzool what modems do you use?? how do you push your upload beyond 100kbps on comcast?

avoozl
08-25-2007, 04:40 AM
I thought I'd post a graphical demonstration of my bandwidth shaping. As you can see, my maximum speed is about 180 kb/sec for brief periods of time. It is quite consistent how the shaping goes. I use a Motorola Surfboard SB5100.http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6416/bandwidthqz4.jpg
It is interesting to note that if I set my maximum upload speed to 75 kb/sec, it will stay maxed out the entire time, (as long as there are adequate leechers available) but if I set it to unlimited, it goes in spurts, as above.

I'd be interested to see some graphical representations of other peoples' experience with comcast.

This is a screengrab from u-torrent with the timeframe set to 30 seconds. Any other timeframe does not show any discernable pattern.

Bo0ddha
08-25-2007, 05:46 AM
The only other way I can think of to get by this is to make the client think it's still downloading. If I read the article right after it's finished thats when it starts to do that bs with killing the uploads. So if you can either slow down the download to .01 kb/s and keep the thing downloading the last say 5% or so you should still upload at your regular pace, or some how pause the download, but still have it classified as a download. Pause the incoming stream or something. Now the problem I see with this is the download slots. If the tracker still thinks your downloading the file your going to fill up your slots in no time at all.

blEnder
08-25-2007, 06:35 AM
The only other way I can think of to get by this is to make the client think it's still downloading. If I read the article right after it's finished thats when it starts to do that bs with killing the uploads. So if you can either slow down the download to .01 kb/s and keep the thing downloading the last say 5% or so you should still upload at your regular pace, or some how pause the download, but still have it classified as a download. Pause the incoming stream or something. Now the problem I see with this is the download slots. If the tracker still thinks your downloading the file your going to fill up your slots in no time at all.

I've tried that, but for some reason it didn't work. I slowed down a download to about 1k but the upload got killed at the same time.

As for embolism - I don't think you could create your own VPN (using comcast as the ISP), but if you knew someone or found a service that offered VPN through their a different ISP, it would work.

relakks.com offers VPN service as I mentioned. It does cost money and the speeds/connection time can be iffy.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, utorrent (and Azureus) developers know about what comcast is doing and are supposedly trying to figure away around this. I just think it may take sometime.

Bo0ddha
08-25-2007, 06:38 AM
It seems like getting a cheap seedbox is going to be the way to go. If you just download straight from the seedbox with ftp to your computer and do everything from your seedbox you'll be covered. If you have to pay out money for it then might as well shell out a few more dollars for the extra speed.

Been looking around at seedboxes and I think I came up with a way to do it for $20 a month. If you just get a cheap VPS from http://www.fdcservers.net/Services/VirtualDedicatedServers/VPSVDSPlans#s101 and limit your download speed to something around normal speeds for a good internet connection you get rid of the problem. Now the theory on this is NOT to be using this as a normal seedbox to seed a tb a month. Rather use the 600gb they give you by throttling your bandwidth throughout the month. Then you just ftp the files to your computer and avoid comcast BS. I don't know much about this stuff so I'm looking for some feedback. What's everyones opinion?

embolism
08-25-2007, 02:06 PM
If I have VPN access to my workplace, how do I go about this??? without the workplace knowing that I am doing this? usually when I VPN to workplace U torrent stops working - is there a way around this without then knowing I am using bandwidth?

haydeno
08-26-2007, 12:10 AM
You could try to "uncap" you modem but you may get banned if you do it wrong.(seach uncap cable modem on google) I read one guy uncapped and got 30\4 off comcast

blEnder
08-26-2007, 07:06 PM
If I have VPN access to my workplace, how do I go about this??? without the workplace knowing that I am doing this? usually when I VPN to workplace U torrent stops working - is there a way around this without then knowing I am using bandwidth?

Not that I know of. . .My guess is that your work has blocked torrent/p2p usage using their VPN.

Gish
08-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Need...FIOS......
Need...FIOS......
:rolleyes:

blEnder
08-26-2007, 09:11 PM
^ In a heartbeat if I could get it where I am. . .

Salvia
08-26-2007, 09:16 PM
^I 3rd that sentiment

haydeno
08-26-2007, 09:20 PM
It seems like getting a cheap seedbox is going to be the way to go. If you just download straight from the seedbox with ftp to your computer and do everything from your seedbox you'll be covered. If you have to pay out money for it then might as well shell out a few more dollars for the extra speed.

Been looking around at seedboxes and I think I came up with a way to do it for $20 a month. If you just get a cheap VPS from http://www.fdcservers.net/Services/VirtualDedicatedServers/VPSVDSPlans#s101 and limit your download speed to something around normal speeds for a good internet connection you get rid of the problem. Now the theory on this is NOT to be using this as a normal seedbox to seed a tb a month. Rather use the 600gb they give you by throttling your bandwidth throughout the month. Then you just ftp the files to your computer and avoid comcast BS. I don't know much about this stuff so I'm looking for some feedback. What's everyones opinion?

1Mbit Connection = 300Gb/Month=125Kb MAX(ie xfer 500mb per hr)

signalearth
08-26-2007, 10:52 PM
i have the 8/768 package from comcast and i have never been able to sustain speed on uploads or downloads with the unlimited bw setting. If you set up utorrent like they tell you to you should be capping your upload @ 72 kB/s. If I have that enabled I get a continuous stream on both UL/DL. Im located in GA so this is east coast that we are talking about. uTorrent says that limiting your connection is very very important. So to all that run unlimited with a home connection, cap it, that should help more than anything. Let us know what happens.

haydeno
08-26-2007, 11:00 PM
I got a new modem and now i leave mine on unlimited and while it goes to 250kb(5mb) then down to 30kb then up to 250kb again i still average at about 60-70 vs 40(384) i pay for

blEnder
09-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Well I haven't tried it, but this might be a solution to it:

http://redhatcat.blogspot.com/2007_09_01_archive.html

phrenzy
09-07-2007, 06:09 PM
I use cox which is owned by comcast and i still get great upload and download speeds. i get around 1.5mb down and 300kps up.......

Salvia
09-07-2007, 08:23 PM

"Don't do this. When you DROP RST packets, that means that EVERY TCP connection hangs open until a very very long timeout, turning BitTorrent into a user-initiated DoS attack on your machine. Yeah, this _will_ stop Comcast's behavior, but you're screwed." -thecubic

avoozl
09-08-2007, 12:13 AM

"Don't do this. When you DROP RST packets, that means that EVERY TCP connection hangs open until a very very long timeout, turning BitTorrent into a user-initiated DoS attack on your machine. Yeah, this _will_ stop Comcast's behavior, but you're screwed." -thecubic

Can somene explain this a little bit more to me? How does this cause an attack on yourself?

By the way, I've just placed my FIOS order!!!:01:

SHUVT
09-08-2007, 12:30 AM
Comcast sucks balls! Just moved and now I am forced to use comcast. Service blows and the speeds are horrible. I miss COX Cable...:cry:

iam1337
09-08-2007, 01:11 AM
Cox is the shit!

aysomc
09-08-2007, 10:05 AM
my comcast has been shitty upload speeds like most but for me its at least consistent shitty speeds, now with speedboost it goes up to ~200 upload for about 20-30 seconds when i first start or if i limit my UL to like 30 for a couple minutes then back to 0 it jumps up around 200 again. i guess if i had the time i could sit around doing this all day and average somewhere around 100 kb/s. from what i hear comcast has something called blast now(or some other similar stupid name) that is a constant 2MBPS upload but its only available in limited areas right now.

haydeno
09-08-2007, 09:45 PM
If i leave on unlimited my average is about 60-80kbps if well leeched.(goes to 2-300 then 0) blast is 16\2 avail in areas with fios mostly. Notice 16\2 vs fios 15\2 just to say they are faster lol

avoozl
09-26-2007, 07:07 PM
[quote=Salvia;2254969]

By the way, I've just placed my FIOS order!!!:01:

This morning, the Fios installer came out to my place and connected me.

Adios comcast!

I love FIOS!!! :D:D:D

Defy
09-26-2007, 07:47 PM
I just moved and unfortunately I had to decide between ComCast or Quest. I don't like DSL so I had to go with ComCrap... little did I know what kind of havoc it was going to wreak on my torrent sites.

I simply can't seed. I've looked for every possible fix around their stupid f*cking vine and NOTHING is working. :(

Anger... rising...

briand5379
09-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Why don't you try Qwest even if it's dsl considering they offer pretty decent speeds for their fast connection at a fairly reasonable price.

Defy
09-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Why don't you try Qwest even if it's dsl considering they offer pretty decent speeds for their fast connection at a fairly reasonable price.

Unfortunately the cable/internet package was a lot cheaper with ComCast compared to Qwest... although if there's absolutely no way around their bullshit I might just cave. :(

I've used Qwest before and I've never had much luck with them in my area. Outages, crap customer service... makes me want to pull my hair out.

embolism
09-27-2007, 12:14 AM
Here is what I did: I paid extra $10 bucks (thats total of $52/m) for the 8mb connection with comcast and the best upload speed with that is 100kbps but steady - no fluctuations. It can spike upto 120kbps at the best for those hot tv episodes. In another post..the pro package with dsl (att) gave an upload of 80kbps steady.
Continuous upload of 80kbps over 24 hours = 6.9gigs in 24 hours (not bad for seeding anyway!!) - about 45 gigs in a week (enuf to get PU status :O)