PDA

View Full Version : Pc Problem

-=Cyrus=-
07-03-2003, 02:24 PM
Hi I really need help with a pc problem!!!!!

When I let win98 finish loading it sometimes hangs and I press the restart button, sometimes when I do this I get up to the black DOS screen just b4 it checks for the floppy and it hangs again, and I press restart again and then I just get a black screen. I then switch it off and wait and then its ok. I haven’t installed anything I don’t think would cause this.

WIN98 SE
AUD PLAYER
AMD XP 1800
Geforce 4 MX
JETWAY MOTHERBOARD
512 RAM

Please help as I have already formated it...do you think it could be a HD problem?

CornerPocket
07-03-2003, 03:30 PM
Could be many things. When you get a proper complete bootup, check out the device manager see if you have any conflicts of any sort. Usually can tell by the yellow exclamation mark next to a device. Run scandisk/Defrag, see what gets revealed upon completion (bad sectors??). Maybe a virus? Do you have AntiVirus installed? Try to run a complete AV scan of hardrive/partitions and/or a spyware/adware scan with AdAware. Maybe something there??? Many possibilities.

Just a few places to start, but alas a start for now.

-=Cyrus=-
07-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the info CornerPocket. I have checked out the device manager for any conflicts and found none. I have also ran Scan disk and defrag, no bad sectors and no probs. I am also running PC-Cillian 2003 with the latest update and it finds no viruses, also I have looked for spy/adware using Ad-aware 6 pro didn’t find a thing. Can you suggest anything else?

Oh also 2day it wouldn’t load into the 1st dos screen and hung once in windows but for the past few hours its been ok but am sure it will prob hang again at somepoint, any more help would be really great.

Thanks again :)

-=Cyrus=-

CornerPocket
07-03-2003, 05:36 PM
Why not check out the mobo site and see if there is any updated drivers or Bios updates for the board. Perhaps reviewing the updates will clue in about any fixes provided that might reveal current compatibility or lockup issues. Again could be just about anything, but a mobo driver and Bios update may not be a bad thing to do. Check out MS Windows Update site as well, make sure you have the up to date fixes/patches for Win98SE itself.

While your at it, why not make sure all your inner devices are seated properly. Maybe not making clean contact with mobo slots or need to be re-seated??? Heat issue, don't think so but again checking to insure proper ventilation is acquired, clean interior of case, any fans, power supply..........may as well if you are already inside the case. :D

-=Cyrus=-
07-03-2003, 06:00 PM
Thanks will try that now :D

Again thanks for the help :D