PDA

View Full Version : What do I do here?

Skiz
08-31-2007, 01:54 AM
I've never been savvy with IRC. What do I do here?

[INFO] This channel requires that you have registered and identified yourself with the network's nickname registration services (e.g. NickServ). Please see the documentation of this network's nickname registration services that should be found in the MOTD (/motd to display it).

:unsure:

KFlint
08-31-2007, 02:01 AM
you have to register your nick on the network, you can do this like that :
/msg nickserv register A_PASSWORD_of_your_choice_to_use_later EMAIL

and the next time you login on irc :
/msg nickserv IDENTIFY password

hope this help

Night0wl
08-31-2007, 02:04 AM
type /nick [the name you use on the tracker] press enter
type /msg nickserv register [password you choose] [email]

then you are registered

now everytime you go on that server using that name you will be asked to identify yourself or have your name changed.

type /ns identify [password chosen]

Skiz
08-31-2007, 02:04 AM
you have to register your nick on the network, you can do this like that :
/msg nickserv register A_PASSWORD_of_your_choice_to_use_later EMAIL

and the next time you login on irc :
/msg nickserv IDENTIFY password

hope this help

:blink:

jam0980tr
08-31-2007, 02:05 AM
i E

/msg nickserv register 323565985659 EMAIL

now you have to identify yourself, to identify yourself type:

/msg nickserv identify 323565985659

/J #AND THE NAME HERE

Skiz
08-31-2007, 02:06 AM
type /nick [the name you use on the tracker] press enter
type /msg nickserv register [password you choose] [email]

then you are registered

now everytime you go on that server using that name you will be asked to identify yourself or have your name changed.

type /ns identify [password chosen]

Done.

Thanks, guys! :01:

kallieb
08-31-2007, 02:33 AM
i'm a complete irc retard. I still don't get it and likely never will. the only channels that I can join are those that provide a direct *click and connect* hotlink button.

Skiz
08-31-2007, 02:36 AM
i'm a complete irc retard. I still don't get it and likely never will. the only channels that I can join are those that provide a direct *click and connect* hotlink button.

I'm pretty much the same way. Shirley, there is a better option. :ermm:

muyoso
08-31-2007, 02:42 AM
Its fairly easy. Its just writing out basically what you do when you log into gmail or something. That is all you are doing, logging in.

Example situation:

email: [email protected]
password: poopypants

You would type:

/nickserv register poopypants [email protected]

That is telling the system or "nickserv" to receive your request to "register" and then you are giving the system a password and an email. After you register, all you have to do when you want to sign in, just as you would with any email client online, is give the password and email, so you would type:

/nickserv poopypants [email protected]

to sign in.

Its fairly simple, as this formula applies to pretty much every IRC server out there if it requires you to register.

Night0wl
08-31-2007, 02:43 AM
I had the same problem but after a few times it is really easy

Just don't forget the password you choose, since you will need server staff to reset it and that can take anywhere from 5 minutes to days depending whether they are around.

jam0980tr
08-31-2007, 02:53 AM
Here is more tips if you get know how use mirc
i hope this helps :)

REGISTER - Register a nickname
GROUP - Join a group
GLIST - Lists all nicknames in your group
IDENTIFY - Identify yourself with your password
ACCESS - Modify the list of authorized addresses
SET Set - options, including kill protection
DROP - Cancel the registration of a nickname
RECOVER - Kill another user who has taken your nick
RELEASE - Regain custody of your nick after RECOVER
GHOST - Disconnects a "ghost" IRC session using your nick
ALIST - List channels you have access on
INFO - Displays information about a given nickname

Skiz
08-31-2007, 03:08 AM
I don't use mirc. I have found chatzilla a bit easier.

LaPistola
08-31-2007, 03:18 AM
I use an old version of x-chat

DefX
08-31-2007, 06:56 AM

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/8185/noob1nw8.jpg

Skiz
08-31-2007, 07:13 AM
http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/213/blushwg6.gif (http://imageshack.us)

blackbird
08-31-2007, 07:19 AM
for everyone new to irc

http://www.ircbeginner.com/ircinfo/ircc-commands.html :)

signalearth
08-31-2007, 08:45 AM
it'll come... memorization is key... :)

Something Else
08-31-2007, 08:52 AM

I use it too, IRC Noob I am....
But I find the whole IRC thing fugly and avoid it whenever possible. I only really use it if I have trouble with an acct...and I'm happy that way.

blackbird
08-31-2007, 09:35 AM

But I find the whole IRC thing fugly and avoid it whenever possible. I only really use it if I have trouble with an acct...and I'm happy that way.

:noes: . irc is soo beautiful brother ..:D

for me irc is instant help .. better than forums.. i mean whenever i need help with linux, coding or even translation .. i go to irc ..

i do a search here http://irc.netsplit.de/channels/ and join the channel i want .. its so easy and fast :)

eLucid
08-31-2007, 10:05 AM
IRC is very useful to learn. I set up a complex system which automatically identifies me with nickserv, and then uses timers to invite/join about 10 different password protected channels. I don't even have to press anything :D

optimus_prime
08-31-2007, 10:35 AM
irc is really indispensable tool and little time invested into it will pay back.
it's relatively simple to start as one just have to grasp concept of channels, user modes and private messages.

for example authentication through /msg is just a private message to nickserv like it would be to any other user. nickserv ain't part of irc protocol, nor it's an ordinary user, it's a bot (aka service) with elevated privileges (something like an admin :D) set up by the network (these days often network = 1 torrent server) to implement authentication. so the syntax of the message you send to it can be different on different networks. other common services are chanserv and memoserv. many channels use their own bots for their own purposes as nobody likes to sit on the channel 24/7.

mirc is really superior to it's competition, there is great number of scripts that may ease your work, or you can write your own. for example once you registered to a nickserv service, you can just add to your alias section

login { msg nickserv identify YOURPASSWORD }

and next time you're asked for password just type /login

or you can add to your remote section something like

on 1:notice:*type /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password*:*: {
if ($nick == nickserv) {
if ($network == revolutiontt) msg nickserv identify YOURREVTTPASSWORD
}
}

and it will auto-identify you when you receive notice containing text "type /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password" from user with nick "nickserv" on network revolutiontt (and that happens when you use registered nickname). so with mirc scripts your options are unlimited :D

also you can download full blown mirc scripts that have all bells and whistles in comfortable graphic menus...

DV8type
08-31-2007, 06:39 PM
lol

Your just as bad as me skizo....took me a while to even jump in our own iRC channel. I have everything people have showed me saved on a .txt file for future reference. Now i just copy paste as needed
:D

Skiz
08-31-2007, 07:45 PM

Same. I usually just post any issues in the tracker's forum. IRC is just a pain. Again, surely some other easy to use program could replace it.

There are several other chat programs which are easy to use. Why the heck doesn't someone use them? Trackers, stop being sheep and move on to a better program. :mellow:

SgtMajor
08-31-2007, 07:48 PM
ScT are notorious for that, and then they fukkin ban you for giving them the complaint you can't send by PM, fukkin useless piece of shit.

Skiz
08-31-2007, 07:50 PM
ScT are notorious for that, and then they fukkin ban you for giving them the complaint you can't send by PM, fukkin useless piece of shit.

:idunno: