PDA

View Full Version : The Key Issue With Bittorrent...

Schmiggy_JK23
07-04-2003, 02:32 AM
I was thinking today, after noticing that my bittorrent speeds have dropped tremendously with most popular files in the past week or two...

I think I know the reasoning.

for one, bittorrent is becomming more and more popular. After the big hulk workprint made major news, and bittorrent became even more wide spread, as it made national media attention...

so what do we have right now, tons, and tons of 56kers, taking the bandwith from the broad band users, and as their uploads are crap, our downloads are crap... i have seen 4 of my friends, ie friends i hang with, party with, etc, start using bt on dial up... and this the problem.

You connect to 30-40 seeders... say half of which are dial up... thus greatly reducing the overall bandwith upload wise, of that torrent... yes they are downloading at slower rates then the broad band users, but that is less of an issue as download bandwith is almost always far greater then upload bandwith on any p2p network.

so, the problem with bt right now is dial up... all these dial up users trying to get the latest copies of movies, etc.. when your upload to download ratio is 2-1 over the course of a download, thats a total joke...

any how... hopefully in time, this problem will sort itself out, as these users will see how much slower things are, and move on to another app, that gives them better rates, we can hope right?

randm01
07-04-2003, 11:54 AM
WRONG!!..cause there is a fantastic little program that aids 56kers to make BT the best dload program around if the file you want is on BT..and as long as the seed remains on long enuf to dload for 56kers..so the more 56k users that find this pro the more they will stay loyal to BT...long live the little guys!!!

yyiryyib
07-04-2003, 12:01 PM
no, the kwy is to get a good torrent file, and the tracker for the file.

A busy tracker, e.g suprnova will have lots of people. where as a tracker that isnt so busy or is less well known/private/high speed etc will be faster

EnJoi
07-04-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@4 July 2003 - 03:32
I was thinking today, after noticing that my bittorrent speeds have dropped tremendously with most popular files in the past week or two...

for one, bittorrent is becomming more and more popular. After the big hulk workprint made major news, and bittorrent became even more wide spread, as it made national media attention...

so what do we have right now, tons, and tons of 56kers, taking the bandwith from the broad band users, and as their uploads are crap, our downloads are crap... i have seen 4 of my friends, ie friends i hang with, party with, etc, start using bt on dial up... and this the problem.

You connect to 30-40 seeders... say half of which are dial up... thus greatly reducing the overall bandwith upload wise, of that torrent... yes they are downloading at slower rates then the broad band users, but that is less of an issue as download bandwith is almost always far greater then upload bandwith on any p2p network.

so, the problem with bt right now is dial up... all these dial up users trying to get the latest copies of movies, etc.. when your upload to download ratio is 2-1 over the course of a download, thats a total joke...

any how... hopefully in time, this problem will sort itself out, as these users will see how much slower things are, and move on to another app, that gives them better rates, we can hope right?
nice analysis :)

LINDOREZ
07-04-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by randm01@4 July 2003 - 11:54
WRONG!!..cause there is a fantastic little program that aids 56kers to make BT the best dload program around if the file you want is on BT..and as long as the seed remains on long enuf to dload for 56kers..so the more 56k users that find this pro the more they will stay loyal to BT...long live the little guys!!!
And would this program allow you to download from BT without having to uplaod at all. Thus stealing massive amounts of bandwidth from people with high speed connnections.

Schmiggy_JK23 make a very impressive point and is correct in saying so.

However you've got to give the 56k people credit, how many people do you know that would wait 4 days for a movie? it wouldnt be me anyways. :D

yyiryyib
07-04-2003, 04:44 PM
dont like 56k, if they ant afford £10 more a month to have faster dl's and not have people slate them so much, then they shouldnt dl.

if u smoke, just quit them u could get a meg a sec for amount of money u waste on cigs

N£MO
07-04-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@4 July 2003 - 03:32

I agree with what your saying and i have noticed a drop in download speeds using BT lately.There are quite a few BT clients now that allow you to limit your upload speed,the more people that get them and use them will also surely lower the general speeds.As the original BT client doesn't allow you to do this.

I might have to give some private not well known trackers a try.

Schmiggy_JK23
07-04-2003, 08:32 PM
yup, the fasttracker that the klite people have running, props to wizz and nahan seems to be pretty solid so far.

but when you think about it, when we first started using bt, we would connect to say 40 people.. almost all being Broadband... now its we connect to 40 peers, and half are dial up, that just trashes the upload speeds.

56kers! Go to klite or irc! or buy broad band! lol.

randm01
07-04-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by yyiryyib@4 July 2003 - 17:44
dont like 56k, if they ant afford £10 more a month to have faster dl's and not have people slate them so much, then they shouldnt dl.

if u smoke, just quit them u could get a meg a sec for amount of money u waste on cigs
god dam some ppl are so narrow minded i wonder how they make a turn at any corner....some ppl on 56k just have no foolin god dam choice...the broadband service may just not be foolin available in the area for shoes sake ...

Dapadipz
07-04-2003, 09:46 PM
ye i have also noticed a decrease in bt speeds.
darn its pi55in me off

randm01
07-04-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by LINDOREZ+4 July 2003 - 17:40--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LINDOREZ @ 4 July 2003 - 17:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-randm01@4 July 2003 - 11:54
WRONG&#33;&#33;..cause there is a fantastic little program that aids 56kers to make BT the best dload program around if the file you want is on BT..and as long as the seed remains on long enuf to dload for 56kers..so the more 56k users that find this pro the more they will stay loyal to BT...long live the little guys&#33;&#33;&#33;
And would this program allow you to download from BT without having to uplaod at all. Thus stealing massive amounts of bandwidth from people with high speed connnections.

Schmiggy_JK23 make a very impressive point and is correct in saying so.

However you&#39;ve got to give the 56k people credit, how many people do you know that would wait 4 days for a movie? it wouldnt be me anyways. :D [/b][/quote]
it wont stop the uploads completely but it will limit the upload amount to an amount that still allows the dload to occur at (up to)6k thus making it far better on avg than kazaa cause it seems more ppl on BT have broadband thus allowing the LITTLE GUYS dload at the full amount possible...go broadband you guys rock hahahah we want more of ya...
and im willing to wait any amount of time to get a movie in 6 days the movie wont self destruct so i can still watch it 3 weeks later so whats 4 days....itll still be the same file..do ppl only watch the file once and delete it?i dont think so..so maybe 6 days after watching it once some may watch it a 2nd time thus rendering the 4day
thought void of any thought...

and on a new item not directed to anyone specifically......it would appear most broadband users on bt are the leechers cause not too many would upload 50% bandwidth of the total dload bandwidth(like 56k HAVE to), as most(not all) broadband is based on far less than a ratio of 100% dload and 50% upload..its more like 25% upload...and the poor little dialup has no real choice its over 50% of his/her bandwidth thus making the dialup user a less of a leecher than any avg broadband user....

boy i can stick it to em...

Schmiggy_JK23
07-05-2003, 12:46 AM
I dont think you have any clue what rates most of the public trackers are giving us broad band users right now...

3 of my friends, all have noted great then 1-1 uploads to downloads, some even at 2-1... most of my downloads in the past couple weeks have hit 2-1 upload to download ratio, which is total shit...

1-1, ya, i can handle that, its only fair, and thats what dial up has to do also, but dont think we are all getting great speeds, because the 56kers have decreased the overall upload bandwith of the torrents they are on.

randm01
07-05-2003, 04:16 AM
i didnt say broadband users got GREAT speeds on bt..i just stated about ratios..from what ive seen (yes i have seen broadband being used)the dload thru bt is approx 50k and the upload is approx 10k(no this isnt the only speeds ive seen but its an approx avg)which makes the uplaod 25% of the possible avg approx dload now thats leeching.and i do not consider 50k dload fast..i call it an ok speed nothing great..
so what is the actual speeds noted by you and ya 3 mates..give us all a shock...tell us the speeds b4 the 56k revolt and the speeds after it...

you know its only gunna get worse the more i spread the program around :rolleyes:

kylman5000
07-05-2003, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by randm01+4 July 2003 - 22:41--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (randm01 @ 4 July 2003 - 22:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-yyiryyib@4 July 2003 - 17:44
dont like 56k, if they ant afford £10 more a month to have faster dl&#39;s and not have people slate them so much, then they shouldnt dl.

god dam some ppl are so narrow minded i wonder how they make a turn at any corner....some ppl on 56k just have no fukin god dam choice...the broadband service may just not be fukin available in the area for shits sake ... [/b][/quote]
Wow, you are a genius. If you live in the continental United States and have a clear view of the southern sky, then you can get high speed internet. Direcway is the answer. It might not be as fast as a T1 line but its still better than dial-up.

Go here for Direcway (http://www.direcway.com)

randm01
07-05-2003, 07:12 AM
[QUOTE=yyiryyib,4 July 2003 - 17:44] ill remove all the previous quotes so it takes up less space....
Wow, you are a genius. If you live in the continental United States and have a clear view of the southern sky, then you can get high speed internet. Direcway is the answer. It might not be as fast as a T1 line but its still better than dial-up.

Go here for Direcway (http://www.direcway.com)
i didnt wanna go this far but i guess when push comes to shove..

for foolins sake wanker does everyone live in the god dam USfoolinA? now dont be scared but the answer is NO&#33;&#33;&#33;

where i foolin live wanker sattelite is like cutting ya arm off...and thats just to get it installed let alone run it for 1 month..ya need to give away both arms and legs to have it running for 12 months...

but you did type "IF" so i guess this was a little overboard but i dont care...im just a little guy who annoys the big guys to the point of crying it seems...i can take it B)

randm01
07-05-2003, 08:52 AM
i better edit all my msgs to remove the nasty words b4 the children see it..