PDA

View Full Version : Sony's Excellent Marketing (ps3 Info)

Busyman
07-04-2003, 05:21 AM
PS3 will be backward compatible with PS2. Sony made sure that from the PS1 , which most of us have games for, we would easily buy a PS2 NOT just because of the new games that were coming but we could play our old games as well. They are doing the same with PS3 allowing PS2 games the same way. They will phase out production of PS1 games completely when the PS3 hits.

PS1 HOT SELLER then...

PS2 plays HOT SELLER PS1 and new PS2 GAMES making PS2 the new HOT SELLER
then....

PS3 plays PS2's (the current HOT SELLER) games and new PS3 games....and the beat goes on

PS3 doesn't even need to be the best technically or graphicly (and probably won't be) and it will still outsell Xbox 2 and Gamecube 2 combined (PS3 does have to have a very noticeable improvement over PS2). It will in turn (even if the system is harder to program for) make a developer/publisher want to tap that higher installed base of users (more profit) and games for that system (more times than not, exclusively).

This proves that being first and having excellent marketing can win over superior ttechnical advancements by competitors. Microsoft and definitely Nintendo will need a next generation system that unequivicly blows PS3 out of the water to really 'crack the Sony wall'.

They might also ETCH IN STONE these MUST HAVES to have a chance to compete:

built-in broadband
hard-drive
DVD or new Blu-Ray disc compatibility (learn Nintendo)
TIVO style recording
play recordable DVDs if not record itself (Blu-Ray's format is already recordable in hi-def)
maybe come with a game, mem card, or free online time
is lower costing than PS3

Failure to do this will insure Sony's dominance for at least 3 more years and definitely put Nintendo in the 'software only' market.

TNTIcemanTNT
07-04-2003, 08:49 AM
Thatas quite correct. i see alot of posts saying who thinks Xbox is better than PS2 among other things. They base their argument on the Gamecube/ Xbox being superior in quality to the PS2 and...so what? The PS2 makes the other 2 consoles look like babys with the huge array of blockbuster games only exclusive to it, and to top it off if you look at the actual sales figures, as Busyman states, the PS2 has sold more units than the Gamecube and Xbox combined. And its even on a larger scale with the PS1 compared to the N64. To be honest in terms of sucess Sony have won a easy, rolling battle against Microsoft and Nintendo, there are so many loyal customers, as they have the knack to get all the great developers releasing games on them. This is not a post about which system is better, but I think Ive made my case as to which console is easy the "big daddy":)

Pitbul
07-04-2003, 11:27 AM
im glad they do this it enables people who haven't bought previos consoles to be able to enjoy the games as well.

..but now im waiting to see the childish X-Box Fans boys (not saying every person who has an X-Box is one cuz not all are) to come and start talkin sh*t.

CadeLaguana
07-04-2003, 01:21 PM
No I'm an xbox lover but I think this ps3 is pretty bad ass. I have a ps2 so yes this is going to be something I'm going to buy. I love em all. Game consoles are like games, some have different things than others, either way, you get fun from each. Too bad the release date is so distant....Oh well I'll be playing morrowind untill its out

By the way, You people have got to get that game! The elder scrolls 3 is...BREATHTAKING. With bloodmoon installed, the snowy place makes me want to cry in happiness. Anyway that has nothing to do with nothing, just telling everyone to get that game! ;)

TNTIcemanTNT
07-04-2003, 05:33 PM
Im pretty sure i&#39;m missing something here but I found Morrowind incredibly dissapointing. The graphics were fine but even once I establish my Imperial Warrior to a fair standing missions became impossible, magic casters kiling me in less than 2 secs and getting minced. The problem with this ultra-free -roaming game is you have no idea where you really should be/ Another problem being completing all the missions in a certain town suited to your level, advancing to the next and getting absolutely slaughtered in those missions. Well overall I lost interest in a day and its gone down the dung hole&#33; <_<

Busyman
07-04-2003, 06:47 PM
I have games like that where you reach an impossible bridge so play another game but..... I jump back in the challenge and eventually CONQUER it. The only game I haven&#39;t picked back up (shame to say) is Gradius III for PS2. I waiting for the Morrowind pack for Xbox then I&#39;ll tackle that one. I&#39;ve got too many games still shrunk wrapped as it is.
One trick that I do is stay behind the &#39;new game buying curve&#39; so when I do buy the game it has dropped in price. The only time this doesn&#39;t apply is when it&#39;s a phenomenal game. Then I have to get in on release day (like Brute Force for the X). Also when Toys R Us has &#39;Buy 2 Get 1 Free Day&#39; I rack up buying at least 9 games. Why buy a million games with no time to play each? Buy 2 then beat them.

When you buy the next one (not new anymore) it might be half the price. ;)

freak
07-04-2003, 11:23 PM
the ps3 will play ps1 games to if that even matter but i guess it&#39;s still cool

Busyman
07-05-2003, 12:27 AM
The PS3 WILL NOT play PS1 games. NO

freak
07-05-2003, 06:34 AM
Trust me it will. Call it a little inside info ;)

Schmiggy_JK23
07-05-2003, 06:53 AM
right... cuz your buddy buddy with a insider at japan sony? lol

FrStyleKing
07-05-2003, 07:17 AM
when xbox and gamecube are 5 or 6 years old they&#39;ll have a huge library of blockbuster games to....

but yea, it was a good idea of sony to make they&#39;re systems backwards compatible. its kind of common sense if you ask me.

xbox 2 is supposedly backwards compatible, it hasn&#39;t been confirmed though. if people would put the same time and effort into xbox as they did with the ps2 (which is harder to program for than the xbox, i dont know exactly why but i heard it was cause xbox is very similar to a high end pc) but people are starting to realize the power of the xbox and are making waaay better games for it than they were before. look at halo 1, then halo 2. huge difference once people get into the system.

ps3 will be cool to. i dont understand why they released psx though, its just a ps2 with a few more capabilities that the ps3 is supposed to come with. so whats the point in getting a psx? i&#39;m planning on getting xbox 2 and ps3. i&#39;m not a "fanboy" of either one. i like all systems cause they all have strong points and weak points. most people only get mad when you talk down on another system cause when you put down a system you&#39;re saying to that person they&#39;re dumb for buying it and that is kind of insulting.

Cl1mh4224rd
07-05-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by FrStyleKing@5 July 2003 - 08:17
i dont understand why they released psx though, its just a ps2 with a few more capabilities that the ps3 is supposed to come with. so whats the point in getting a psx?
Sony isn&#39;t expecting people who already own a PS2 to go out and buy a PSX (although I&#39;m sure some freakish people will do just that ;)). People are still buying PS2s, and when PSX is released, it&#39;ll replace the current PS2 model (that&#39;s my thought anyway).

You do realize that the DVD drivers in the current batch of PS2s aren&#39;t the same as the ones that came with the first batch, right? Well, the PSX is the same thing, just a little more pronounced. It&#39;s not a new system; more like a replacement with some of the previous add-ons integrated into it.

asmithz
07-05-2003, 10:14 AM
Ok first of all backwards capablity for the PS3 was annoced a year ago so it not an insider tip.

Second IBM Co-op with Nvidia in making graphic chip this.

Third IBM is working with the Microsoft & Sony to make a graphics card in there systems. This means there really wont be much differance in the chip ( depends on who pays more -coagh- -coagh- -microsoft- but really i hope sony pays more ) but if they do have the same chip that will suck for Microsoft because there no compintion also the chip in the PS3 is call Cell.

Forth most of you will like this HDD will be standard same with a 56k modem not confirmend but the may push it to ISDN 128k modem also broadband capabilty.

The DVD will get an up grade as will, the feature to play VCD ( microsoft will most likely not include VCD capabilty ), DVD-R/DVD-RW (the PS3 and xbox 2 will not have recording capabilty sorry but dont suspect that any time soon). Hopefully PS3 will learn Divx as gamecube did ( great idea Nintendo i give you cudos for that lol i am not britsh)

New names, Sony says PS3 will not be the name, same for Microsofts Xbox 2.

HAY what that internet surfing will they learn from the DreamCast i do hope so.

Also i hope to see a connect that comes standard too like Plug-in-Play so we can make screen shots alot easier.

Thats all for now to much to type

freak
07-05-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@5 July 2003 - 07:53
right... cuz your buddy buddy with a insider at japan sony? lol
I have a few "friend&#39;s" in japan, but I can&#39;t get into&#33; I can&#39;t even say how or who I got it from there would be some job&#39;s on the line if I did. But you can choose not to beleave my thats your choice all I have to say is wait and see. ;)

asmithz
07-05-2003, 11:10 AM
Its not a secret sony said that PS3 will be able to play PS1 and PS2 game they said that right after they said PS3 will be released late 2005 so those people at if there is any will not lose there jobs -k-

tHe LiNk
07-05-2003, 11:46 AM
I highly doubt the fact that this will be an easy win for the playstation 3, nintendo and microsoft will not let them get ahead of the market this time, sony are going to have to compete for once.

Cl1mh4224rd
07-05-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by tHe LiNk@5 July 2003 - 12:46
I highly doubt the fact that this will be an easy win for the playstation 3, nintendo and microsoft will not let them get ahead of the market this time, sony are going to have to compete for once.
Yeah, it&#39;s like that old saying... "Beat me once, shame on you. Beat me twice, shame on me. Beat me three ti-- oh, wait..."

Paraphrased, of course... ;)

Busyman
07-05-2003, 01:17 PM
Hey folks please read read read. The PS3, PlaystationNext or whatever it will be called WILL NOT PLAY PS1 GAMES. It will play PS2. Just because Sony announced something a year ago does not mean their marketing plans won&#39;t change. Marketingwise this is very smart. Consumerwise this sucks ass. As I said before the Xbox 2 or NextBox (whatever) better be backward compatible or :blink:

The PSX:
DVD recorder
satellite tuner
120 GB TIVO style recorder
ethernet port
USB 2.0
Memory Stick slot
it comes to Japan before the end of the year
and US and Europe in 2004
and I will buy one IF it&#39;s the right price NOT for Playstation shit but for everything else
Alot of people when buying the PS2 thought logically. If you factored in how much a DVD player cost at the time, hell you were getting the game part of the machine for &#036;100 (from &#036;300) which was not bad. This will be ALMOST the same for the PSX hopefully. The problem is I wouldn&#39;t spend even &#036;100 extra for a PS2 now so they will have to be carefull on the PSX price.

The PSP
4.5" widescreen backlit LCD
2.4" optical ROM disc in a cartridge called a UMD(Universal Media Disc)(holds 1.8GB)
headphone jack
MPEG 4 compression for video
USB 2.0
Memory Stick slot
rechargable lithium-ion battery
not due till the end of 2004

The PS2.2
built-in network adaptor
built-in remote receiver
quieter fan
progressive scan playback
READS RECORDABLE DVD
QUESTION: IF IT READS RECORDABLE DVD,

I SHOULDN&#39;T NEED A MOD CHIP TO PLAY BURNED GAMES ON DVD RIGHT??
ANYONE????

NCAzrael
07-05-2003, 03:46 PM
First, yes, you&#39;ll need a mod chip to play burned DVD games. Any time you burn a game, it does not carry the country code, nor any of the security features. Thus the reason for the mod chip.

Also, the "PSX" isn&#39;t the PS3. I don&#39;t know where you guys are getting this from. This is a quote from a news article about the PSX and the PSP:

"Sony has confirmed two interim gaming and entertaining products prior to the release of Playstation 3.

PSX is an enhanced DVD / HD product based on the PS2 Chipset. It will sport various features such as high speed communications and multimedia facilities to make it an all in digital entertainment device.

PSP is a portable hand-held multimedia gaming device that will lie somewhere between Nintendo&#39;s SP and Apple&#39;s iPod. It seems Sony are keen to make an imprint on the digital lifestyle / convergence market&#33;"

You can also go to the following link for more information about the PSX, which WILL have DVD recording capabilities.
http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/ebusiness...20274926,00.htm (http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/ebusiness/story/0,2000048590,20274926,00.htm)

It has been reported in several locations that PS1 support will not be included with the PS3. This is sort of expected, seeing as how the PS1 games would be so old by that time anyways. In order to play PS1 games on the PS2, sony had to basicly include the PS1 inside the PS2. There is a small section of the PS2 that is essentually a PS1 emulator. The PS3 would have to contain both a PS1 and PS2 emulator to run both sets of games. And by the time the PS3 is released, demand for PS1 games will be too low for them to bother. Anyone wanting to play PS1 games by that time will probably be able to pick up a PS1 for &#036;20.

As far as when it&#39;s going to be released, I&#39;m not sure. I have customers come in every week and ask if I&#39;ve heard when the PS3 will be released. I have a couple of employees who constantly scour the web for any information about the release. So far, best guess is 2005. Though there are rumors that we&#39;ll see a demonstration of the CELL processor by the middle of 2004, which could very well mean a christmas &#39;04 release.

Speaking of the CELL processor, Microsoft and Nintendo will probably remain batteling for second place when the new generation of consoles make their debut. If the CELL processor is even half of what Sony is claiming, consoles and PCs alike are in for a major change. The chip is rumored to be able to make 1 teraflop of processes per second. That&#39;s 1 TRILLION operations per second. Almost one hundred times the capabilities of a P4 3ghz or AMD equivelent. That&#39;s a lot of power.

As far as current superiority is concerned, try to keep in mind what console came first. Xbox and GC may be superior to the PS2, but that&#39;s because the PS2 was released a good year before the other two. Sony did a damn good job with the technology that was available when designing the PS2. But because they started their design process so early, they missed out on a lot of advancements. Everyone is so quick to jump on the Xbox bandwagon because of superior graphics. That&#39;s like comparing the super nintendo to the PS1. They are different generations of consoles. The only reason they are grouped together is because there is no other consoles to fall into the PS2&#39;s catagory. Microsoft and Nintendo made a smart move by waiting for Sony to release their console. They ensured that they had superior hardware. Only downside is that now Sony has a strong game base, and a very loyal following.

Anyways, there&#39;s my two cents...

Cl1mh4224rd
07-05-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by NCAzrael@5 July 2003 - 16:46
Also, the "PSX" isn&#39;t the PS3.&nbsp; I don&#39;t know where you guys are getting this from.
Correct me if I&#39;m wrong, but I don&#39;t think anyone in this thread ever said it was...

Also, about the PS3... I believe someone at Sony commented that RAM just isn&#39;t fast enough for what the PS3 is being designed to pull off. They&#39;re also having manufacturing problems with the Cell processor, which is why the hopeful demonstration of it in May (or March, I can&#39;t remember) of next year is a big deal if it actually happens.

Busyman
07-05-2003, 04:49 PM
Thank you Cl1mh4224rd. Someone DOES show reading is fundamental. The same hype about PS2&#39;s &#39;emotion engine&#39; was said and I was never blown away, so I&#39;m not going to bust a nut in anticipation. I will definitely get a PS3 though. NCAzrael I already said the PSX WILL have DVD recording. READ MAN READ. DON&#39;T SKIM. READ. Xbox and GC are not different generations of consoles. If anything it&#39;s like a 6 year old boy and his 4 year old brother. Microsoft and Nintendo waiting to release their consoles later was super dumb for reasons you already stated. PS2 is on top solely because IT HAS MORE GAMES (PS1 AND PS2) and lack of competition at the time.

You can&#39;t gain a game library if your&#39;re not around.

I myself am loyal to no system. I pretty much buy any of them if it has a redeeming quality and all the one&#39;s out have something great about them. A system can have all trillions of instructions per second it wants but if no game takes advantage of it, THEN IT&#39;S ALL HYPE.

Amarjit
07-05-2003, 04:54 PM
PS3&#39;s gonna suck ass, like you sad, their won&#39;t be a noticable improvement over the PS2, maybe 100MHz overclocked speed more, but you don&#39;t need the extras such as playing DVD+/-R/RWs, USB 2.0 etc.

We have a computer&#33; And people were thinking that the PS2 was gonna be a great DVD-V player :lol:, how wrong they were, it turned out that it played only 1x (1.355Mbps) and AC-3 decoding wasn&#39;t of highest standards.

And for recording like TiVo, why not get a DVD+RW recorder, it will contain MUCH more features, and what&#39;s the deal with USB 2.0, wouldn&#39;t you rather use your PC than a PS to edit videos? :rolleyes:

And so, what is the consequences of not useful features? Hyped up and more expensive games.

The creator of the Nintendo GameCube, took this into consideration; that the GC was purely a games console not the crap like a 1x DVD-V, and that people were more likely to have seperates, that&#39;s why it was sold for £130, definitely NOT what the PS3 will be sold at&#33; :lol: :lol: :lol:

Busyman
07-05-2003, 05:17 PM
Personally I like the Xbox the best but I&#39;ll definitely get a PS3 (not on launch day though I&#39;ll wait and get it hot) for those of you in suburbia that means stolen). I didn&#39;t say there won&#39;t be a noticable improvement, I said it has to have it. And also one of the reasons alot of people bought the PS2 is because it had DVD. I use mine with an rf modulator in hotel rooms whenever I travel (almost all the time ONLY watching movies). The trend now though is to integrate TIVO with DVD recording. What do I care if it&#39;s 1x DVD if I&#39;m watching movies (they PLAY the same).

And sorry buddy but not including DVD was boneheaded buy Nintendo. It is partly why some retailers and developers are ditching the console (low sales). They had to develop a storage medium when there was one already made. Sony isn&#39;t hurting THAT badly from piracy.

Busyman
07-05-2003, 05:23 PM
Oh and if country codes are not built into burned games then for the PS2.2 (since it can play DVD-/+RW) you still shouldn&#39;t need a mod chip, just a boot disc.

ANYONE?

Cl1mh4224rd
07-05-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Amarjit@5 July 2003 - 17:54
1) PS3&#39;s gonna suck ass, like you sad, their won&#39;t be a noticable improvement over the PS2, maybe 100MHz overclocked speed more, but you don&#39;t need the extras such as playing DVD+/-R/RWs, USB 2.0 etc.

2)And people were thinking that the PS2 was gonna be a great DVD-V player :lol:, how wrong they were, it turned out that it played only 1x (1.355Mbps) and AC-3 decoding wasn&#39;t of highest standards.
1) Heh. You have much lack of faith in technology. I&#39;m willing to bet the Cell processor will rate at around 1GHz. The original PS was 33MHz. PS2 is 300MHz. That&#39;s nearly a ten-fold improvement. Now, expecting the PS3 to be a 3GHz machine is a little fantastic if you ask me, but it&#39;s definitely not going to be merely 400MHz.

If you think you can spout off random numbers to make your opinion easier to swallow, so be it, but for the people who actually know what they&#39;re talking about, you just look like a monkey doing calculus.

2) I was quite satisfied with the PS2&#39;s DVD playback. While the first batch drivers lacked certain functionality (multiple fast-forward speeds), these issues were resolved in later driver updates, which were available through the purchase of the DVD Remote, and also included on new batches of the system. I can&#39;t say I&#39;ve experience the AC3 decoding "problem", but I&#39;m willing to bet that was also resolved in later driver updates.

Pitbul
07-06-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Cl1mh4224rd+5 July 2003 - 08:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cl1mh4224rd @ 5 July 2003 - 08:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-NCAzrael@5 July 2003 - 16:46
Also, the "PSX" isn&#39;t the PS3. I don&#39;t know where you guys are getting this from.
Correct me if I&#39;m wrong, but I don&#39;t think anyone in this thread ever said it was...

Also, about the PS3... I believe someone at Sony commented that RAM just isn&#39;t fast enough for what the PS3 is being designed to pull off. They&#39;re also having manufacturing problems with the Cell processor, which is why the hopeful demonstration of it in May (or March, I can&#39;t remember) of next year is a big deal if it actually happens. [/b][/quote]
im gonna clear some stuff up for you no this is not a flame but 1) yes the RAM now-a-days is not fast enough for the PS3 sony is "working" on that they have alot of partners well alot more partners to help them work on the PS3 including IBM but 2) no a Sony afficial said that the Cel Project is not behind and is right its supposed to be he said the cell project is on track. and estimated there "might" with some luck and the cell project to stay on track that we might see some sort of Demo at the 2004 E3 but nothing final for latest news i go to this site they seem to be on top they also have forums i have started to post often there but its www.ps3insider.com u might want to check it out if ur interested in the PS3.

freak
07-06-2003, 02:40 AM
lol this post is funny you guy&#39;s have no clue... It&#39;s so great :lol:

Busyman
07-06-2003, 02:43 AM
Who ya talkin&#39; bout?

freak
07-06-2003, 03:10 AM
mainly you busyman...But it was directed towards everyone. There&#39;s only a few people in this post that even know what there talking about.

Busyman
07-06-2003, 03:30 AM
Oh so what I said was wrong? What I said was common sense and the facts were not speculation smart guy. Lotta talk for someone who can&#39;t reveal any info and he can say is "TRUST ME". Who the fuck are you? Your anonymous on the forum so why can&#39;t you reveal more info (not sources). It&#39;s not like your&#39;re &#39;Japanese insider&#39; is going to send someone to &#39;ass&#39;assinate you. So far all I&#39;ve said that you claim to have inside info on is the PS3 won&#39;t play PS1 games but &#39;it&#39;s mainly me&#39; huh. Lick a cat&#39;s butt :lol:

sparsely
07-06-2003, 03:53 AM
After reading this thread, I&#39;ve come to the conclusion that very few people posting in it have a
decent grasp on the English language, spelling, debate, logic, or reason.

I&#39;ve enjoyed every minute of it....very entertaining. :lol:
Now, step away from the keyboard and go stare at the sun. :P

sparsely
07-06-2003, 03:55 AM
lmao
And I can&#39;t use a forum without double-posting. :P

Busyman
07-06-2003, 03:59 AM
Isn&#39;t entertaining tho&#39;. I love it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

freak
07-06-2003, 06:24 AM
What else can I say except wait and see&#33; no matter what i say you&#39;ll just say I&#39;m BSing you... So around 2005 you will see and if i even remember about this post that long from now i&#39;ll come back and rub your face in it.

NCAzrael
07-06-2003, 06:47 AM
Sorry about the PSX thing. It was like 11 in the morning, and I still hadn&#39;t been to sleep. Stayed up way too long enjoying my days off. And as for the DVD recording thing, I could have swore someone said it would not have DVD recording, I was just trying to back up the people who said it will.

As for the PS1 capabilities of it, that&#39;s still not final, but it appears that Sony is leaning away from it. As of the latest press release from Sony, the PS3 will not be able to play PS1 games. I don&#39;t care what your "insider" friends tell you. It&#39;s all speculation.

Busyman
07-06-2003, 07:22 AM
No prob NC. I don&#39;t know either if the PS3 will have DVD recording.
And freak do you how many people come on here saying they know something because their friend&#39;s, cousins, brother&#39;s, uncle&#39;s, sister&#39;s, boyfriend&#39;s, step-dad&#39;s, mother&#39;s, adopted child&#39;s, aunt works in the mailroom of a company and overheard a rumor? Do you actually think I&#39;d &#39;wait and see&#39;? Trust me little bud you wouldn&#39;t be an afterthought even if it played PS1 games. I hate a bullshitter.

And I smell &#39;sniff sniff&#39; BULLSHIIIIIIITT&#33;&#33; :lol: :lol:

And &#39;no matter what you say&#39;. You haven&#39;t said anything except:

What else can I say except wait and see.

Why post anything if there is nothing to show except &#39;trust me&#39; :lol:

Cl1mh4224rd
07-07-2003, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by Pitbul@6 July 2003 - 01:52
2) no a Sony afficial said that the Cel Project is not behind and is right its supposed to be he said the cell project is on track. and estimated there "might" with some luck and the cell project to stay on track that we might see some sort of Demo at the 2004 E3 but nothing final for latest news i go to this site they seem to be on top they also have forums i have started to post often there but its www.ps3insider.com u might want to check it out if ur interested in the PS3.
Well, I never said a SOny official said they were having manufacturing (really, I should have said development) problems with the chip. It may have sounded like that, the way I structured my post, and I apologize if it did.

But seriously... There are a number of reports saying that there are/were "problems" with the development of the chip, then Mr. Kutaragi comes along and says, "Nope, no problems whatsoever." I don&#39;t trust the corporate type. ;) If there&#39;s any way that they think they could catch up on a project, or they think that the public doesn&#39;t truly know the situation, then they&#39;ll say everything is a-ok, just to keep their investors happy.

I do hope that it will be ready in time for inclusion into the PS3, though.

twr7cx
07-07-2003, 08:18 AM
Just a question, but how much further can they take the graphic industry? I mean there is a limit to how good a picture can be, and that limit is life-like. Maybe the next generation of consoles should be more focusing on virtual reality simulating... Or is it still to early for that?

Busyman
07-07-2003, 10:27 AM
Too early. I know what you mean. Imagine Madden that&#39;s photo-realistic.
The resolution will have to be off the charts and each player made up of a trillion animations.

Cl1mh4224rd
07-07-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by twr7cx@7 July 2003 - 09:18
Just a question, but how much further can they take the graphic industry? I mean there is a limit to how good a picture can be, and that limit is life-like. Maybe the next generation of consoles should be more focusing on virtual reality simulating... Or is it still to early for that?
Well... they still can&#39;t create high budget, movie quality CG sequences in real-time... so I&#39;d say they still have a long way to go in the non-virtual-reality area. ;)

TNTIcemanTNT
07-07-2003, 03:01 PM
Lol i cant stop laughing at this freak dude. His comment have no evidence to back him up and he is making a fool of himself. Im not saying I support Busyman, or anyone here due to the information being presented being rather dodgy, but this topic is truly fun to read due to people thinking they know so much.

gbfan
07-07-2003, 08:07 PM
Okay I might have misunderstood but didn&#39;t someone say that the ps3 processor was gonna be 1Gig, well I&#39;m sorry but should this impress me? I mean the xbox already has a 733mhz so I&#39;m saying for all we do for them they better give us atleast a 1.5Gig. And just a thought about the war. IMO it may be a bad mistake not to include ps1 backward compatability in the new ps3. Because if the rumors of xbox2 being backward compatable and who knows maybe Gc2 also, then this would virtually eliminate the advantage sony gets from this. Because although the ps2 has more games than xbox presently the ratio will decrease I think. Just my thoughts and so there is no confusion on my allegiances, I own all three new systems Xbox is my choice for all new multi-platform games and they have some real nice exclusives also. Need I mention halo? Ps2 is it for their awesome line-up of exclusives. And GC what can i say I&#39;m a veteran gamers and the kiddy types they have strikes up the nostalgia of when this was the rule not the exception. And they also have a few mature titles that rule i.e. RE, Eternal darkness. So I guess I&#39;m saying its a conspiracy too get our money evidenced by the fact that IBM is working on the new chip for both the ps3 and the xbox2 <_< : :ph34r:

Busyman
07-07-2003, 08:22 PM
What&#39;s dodgy TNT. All of what I said is either common sense marketing or you can read it yourself in a trade journal. I don&#39;t know about this 1 GB because I didn&#39;t read it so I don&#39;t comment on it. Companies can change their specs easily between now and launch day.
Freak probably heard initially the PS3 would play PS1 games and then never heard differently when in fact Sony did say later that it would only play the PS2(and 3) titles (and he can&#39;t turn back now :lol: )

Cl1mh4224rd
07-08-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by gbfan@7 July 2003 - 21:07
Okay I might have misunderstood but didn&#39;t someone say that the ps3 processor was gonna be 1Gig, well I&#39;m sorry but should this impress me? I mean the xbox already has a 733mhz so I&#39;m saying for all we do for them they better give us atleast a 1.5Gig.
Yeah, you kind of misunderstood... I said that I&#39;m thinking (e.g. "my thoughts", "personal opinion", "educated guess", pick one...) the PS3 will be around 1GHz. However, I had thought about it a little more and I feel it will probably be between 1.5 and 2GHz. This isn&#39;t based on anything I&#39;ve read; just an extrapolation of current technology vs. game console technology.

And just a thought about the war.&nbsp; IMO it may be a bad mistake not to include ps1 backward compatability in the new ps3. Because if the rumors of xbox2 being backward compatable and who knows maybe Gc2 also, then this would virtually eliminate the advantage sony gets from this.
So? There comes a point when piling on compatibilities and features actually becomes a hinderance to the performance of any system. If backwards compatibility with PS1 games means the PS3 will have to tone down some of its more advanced features to make room (budget- and hardware-wise), I don&#39;t see that as an advantage.

AlucardXXVII
07-10-2003, 11:14 PM
Hey awhile back in the thread I saw some guy giving Nintendo kudos for Gamecube having "divx" support.

What was he talking about? Does GCN play divx movies?

Thanks for the info

Busyman
07-11-2003, 04:18 AM
NOOO&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Xelotath
07-11-2003, 05:16 AM
I question Son&#39;y Ability to make a processor that is this advanced when it has no experience in this field. Sony hyped up their "emotion chip" and that was a bit of a let down. also I prefer a GAMING console. I don&#39;t like how sony/microsoft tack on all these extras that just up the price.

I find it funny that everyone (almost) thinks intendo is out of the Race forever. With a new generation of consoles eeryone starts at zero. and in my opinion the GC was just a revovery move from the N64. Thats why they havent been to aggressive. you will see a change of attitude in Nintendo with the next wave of consoles.

and to whoever said that the PS3 will push Nintendo into the 3rd party state. I don&#39;t think so. Nintendo pulls in more profit than sony and microsoft combined in its games sales. and Nintendo has too much pride to make games for other companies. the day they stop making money is the day they stop making games period. Thats almost a direct quote from the president of Nintendo.

With Microsoft winning on the online front, and sony winning everywhere else it seems, Nintendo is the underdog except for in one area. Thats game deelopment. The only damn thing that matters on a console as far as I am concerned. Never count out the underdog, or you will be surprised.

also, I want to spout of a few facts and rumors about the GameCube&#39;s successor.

The graphics chips is being made by Ati, which is great as far as I am concerned. Also, the Gc2 is rumored to come out mid 2004 to get the drop on the other two. Iam not sure if this is a smart move or not, but only time will tell.

I just want to say that I am not a Gc fnaboy. I like the X-box and Ps2 very much and each have their own strengths and weaknesses. However, I just see everyone saying that Nintendo is out of the race and it angers me. Thats as stupid as saying Amd is out of the processor business.

Xelotath
07-11-2003, 05:18 AM
also, on the DivX thing.

Nintendo struck a deal with DivX. so now all FMV on GC games are in DivX format. Basically making them really small which is good because of the limited space on the Gc disk.

Cl1mh4224rd
07-11-2003, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by AlucardXXVII@11 July 2003 - 00:14
What was he talking about?&nbsp; Does GCN play divx movies?
Well, from the sounds of DivX for GameCube (http://www.divxnetworks.com/products/divx_gamecube_sdk.php), DivX compression isn&#39;t actually supported by the GC natively. It&#39;s a new SDK developed by Factor 5 and DivXNetworks for use by GC developers in their in-game cutscenes.

Busyman
07-11-2003, 06:32 AM
Nintendo&#39;s best money makers are NOT in it&#39;s games for GC. Hell they are giving them away. It&#39;s a shame because they have some great games but not many (just a small number of good exclusives). GC&#39;s money makers have been the Gameboy and Pokemon (figure that). Otherwise yes we would see another Sega. I do believe they will make strong comeback but jeez... say what you want about a GAMING console, it&#39;s about marketing which translates to more sales.

Bottomline: No you don&#39;t include any and everything in a gaming console, (keyboard, mouse, etc.) but Sony and Microsoft were smart. If you are using a medium to store your games on why not allow the consumer to watch movies on that same medium. This wasn&#39;t a blunder for a Nintendonite because they would buy the GC anyway. But for the average gamer (or parent) searching for &#39;a best system&#39; with limited income, GC was a horrible choice.

Nintendo must ask itself

1.Why was it in second behind the PS1?
2.Why is it now in 3rd place behind a new gaming console?
3.Why are retailers dropping it?
4.Why are developers dropping it?

EASY ANSWERS
1. Sony embraced CD. It had lower cost, better video quality, better music quality, and played consumer CD&#39;s
N64 had cartridge. It ultimately cost the consumer more (about &#036;10), had crappy video and music (sometimes trade shows had FMV of games not real gameplay showing to wow customers. How did N64 do that? They couldn&#39;t competitently)
2. GC blunders again: It offers no DVD player (the hottest consumer electronic out there) and virtually nonexistant online and what they do have now reaaally sucks. People can say all they want about they don&#39;t want to watch DVD&#39;s on their console but guess what, those &#39;people are small in number&#39;.
3. and 4. LACK OF SALES BECAUSE OF 1 AND 2

I&#39;ll tell you this: GC 2 or whatever it&#39;s called coming in 2004 is a rip-off. At least Xbox gave me more to do something with (it would almost be a rip-off too; those consoles haven&#39;t been out that long). Nintendo will probably have great games (mostly 1st party) but.....didn&#39;t they always.....and are still in 3rd. So if they would use the &#39;important muscle&#39; upstairs they&#39;d learn from the butt-fucking that Sony gave them (remember that failed partnership they had).

Hey I love the GC games but ONLY reason I want Nintendo around now is like this:

The upper class make all the money and do the least work
The middle class do most of work
The poor are there...............to scare the hell out of the middle and upper class
(Nintendo)

In other words some sort of competition is good all of us consumers (better pricing, technology, etc)

If Nintendo won&#39;t be competitive I wish Microsoft would swallow them up to make a better overall system (1st party titles) Now that would be something&#33;&#33; ;)

Busyman
07-11-2003, 06:34 AM
Oh and Divx...well who cares if I can&#39;t play my Divx movies on the GC. It&#39;s software only :blink:

gbfan
07-11-2003, 07:08 AM
If Nintendo won&#39;t be competitive I wish Microsoft would swallow them up to make a better overall system (1st party titles) Now that would be something&#33;&#33;

Now that would kick ass IMO being a nintendonite converted to xboxian. But anyway there&#39;s something I don&#39;t see anyone talking about while I don&#39;t disagree with any of the reasons listed above for the decline of nintendo I think this is but one to add to the list. Okay us geezer gamers remember when nintendo was king shit and thought they always would be and they started to act like m&#036; making all the developers only develop games for them and noone else and this pissed everyone off this had to add to their decline. And now sony is starting to pull the same crap this may not be a very good idea. Have your exclusive games but to force third party developers to only develop for you is kinda stupid IMO. I think the next battle in the war is gearing up to be one of the best ever&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :D

Edit: added the underlined part

chillin4real
07-11-2003, 07:22 AM
No man, No. sony doesn&#39;t force any third party developers inot exclusivity deals, they pay them...handsomely. What&#39;s not smart about that?

gbfan
07-11-2003, 11:08 AM
Yes yes they do although rockstar was in trouble and needed sony&#39;s help that doesn&#39;t change the fact that they forced them to only put games out exclusively for ps2. And what&#39;s not smart about it? Well if it happens too much they will piss off the consumers just like nintendo did before remember and this did help nintendo slip into the third spot.

Edit: And yes I do know that nintendo was more of a bully about it but that doesn&#39;t make much difference to us. The developer is still only putting out the games for one system.