PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a .cue file to burn .flac files to a cd

Brenya
09-03-2007, 05:25 AM
Ok I'm kinda new at burning flac music files to a cd and I need some help.

I saw that there is a .cue file that comes along with an ablum ripped in flac. Do I need that cue file to burn to the flac files. the reason is that i already got an album encoded in flac that i got from another site without a cue file.

i just want to make sure

lynx
09-03-2007, 07:55 AM
I'm not familiar with the .flac format, but my assumption would be that it will produce a single monolithic track for the full album, in the same way that .ape files do for Monkey's audio.

If that's the case, the .cue file probably holds track break information. You don't have to use it, but if you choose not to you will end up with cd consisting of a single large track.

dbmp
09-03-2007, 09:54 AM
I believe you can burn it with the .m3u (the playlist file that comes with the FLAC ripping). Use a program named "Burrrn". But, wait for a more specialized opinion. :)

Brenya
09-03-2007, 01:54 PM
You don't have to use it, but if you choose not to you will end up with cd consisting of a single large track.
:O I don't want that to happen!

I believe you can burn it with the .m3u (the playlist file that comes with the FLAC ripping). Use a program named "Burrrn". But, wait for a more specialized opinion. :)
Yes, I have heard of Burrrn, but I would rather use Nero (if I can even). It would be nice if I could just make an .m3u file, because I can do that with winamp.

I'll go exploring, tell ya'll what I find lata.

dbmp
09-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Burrrn is really fast and error free. :) I liked the program a lot, replaced my nero for music burning. Good luck in your explorations. :P

Brenya
09-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Well I ended up using Nero. All I have to do is drag the flac files into the program. No cue file needed. :thumbsup:
Do you know what this means!? I don't have to get my flac files from Oink!

Skiz
09-03-2007, 11:51 PM
No cue needed. Just use the FLAC plugin for Nero.

Brenya
09-04-2007, 01:36 AM
So just click and drag to nero, label, burn and verify? I did that, verification successful, and a part of a song doesn't play and if i keep it running, freezes my entire computer.

So I deemed it a coaster and trashed the CD-R. Will coasters like this one 'evade' data verification in nero?

sert
09-04-2007, 12:02 PM
For my music burning/converting needs I use exclusively Easy CD-DA Extractor and I highly recommend it.

If you decide to install it, just choose the Audio CD Creator tab and load there your flacs.

hackforfun
09-05-2007, 02:54 AM
I am having the same problem, i cant choose the .cue file to burn with nero 7

Skiz
09-05-2007, 08:25 AM
I am having the same problem, i cant choose the .cue file to burn with nero 7

Again, you don't need it. Get this plugin (http://www.bitburners.com/Software/Download/Audio_Software_and_Encoders/Nero_Audio_Plugins/), and just burn. :)

Brenya
09-05-2007, 09:09 PM
In order to burn an exact copy of a cd from oink, you need to do allot of things. There are some tutorials in their forum about cd ripped that I just found.

Skiz
09-05-2007, 09:14 PM
In order to burn an exact copy of a cd from oink, you need to do allot of things. There are some tutorials in their forum about cd ripped that I just found.

No, no you don't.

I do it all the time. If you're still just talking about burning a cd, just get the proper plugin and burn it. That's all.

Third time I've said it now. :frusty:

Brenya
09-11-2007, 12:19 AM

No, no you don't.

I do it all the time. If you're still just talking about burning a cd, just get the proper plugin and burn it. That's all.

You are oversimplifying the process, and leaving out one crucial detail: All cd/dvd-burners have read and write offsets. So in order to burn an EXACT audio copy of an album, you need to find out those offsets (+/- n) and configure EAC appropriately. You cannot use Nero and burn an EAC of an album. Plus with EAC, you can create and compare logs so you know if you have actually burned an Exact copy.
And after you configure EAC, which takes some time I admit, it's just as quick as Nero (for example), if not quicker (just press Alt+W and click and drag the cuesheet), to burn CDs.

Skiz
09-11-2007, 01:12 AM
No, no you don't.

You are oversimplifying the process, and leaving out one crucial detail: All cd/dvd-burners have read and write offsets. So in order to burn an EXACT audio copy of an album, you need to find out those offsets (+/- n) and configure EAC appropriately. You cannot use Nero and burn an EAC of an album. Plus with EAC, you can create and compare logs so you know if you have actually burned an Exact copy.
And after you configure EAC, which takes some time I admit, it's just as quick as Nero (for example), if not quicker (just press Alt+W and click and drag the cuesheet), to burn CDs.

So the actual sound quality can differ? Well the, I've learned something new today.

Perhaps you wouldn't mind creating a guide for the Guides and Tutorials section?

dbmp
09-11-2007, 01:38 AM
I've submited one...