PDA

View Full Version : Usenet Content

Something Else
09-05-2007, 05:34 PM
I just got my usenet access :)
(http://www.usenetserver.com) (http://72.15.144.56/scripts/?http://www.usenetserver.com?refer=154973)

Now I'm using NewsLeecher.....
I only seem to be able to find scene releases and crap like that.... :(
I was hoping to find better stuff like Karagarga content/lossless audio etc.....is that possible or is it all the same old garbage??
Another thing I tried a NZB from here, and it trickled in at 100k/s so I cancelled it. Is that normal? It was on the 1st page (so new).

I'm thinking I might have just wasted $15???

EDIT: Trying alt.binaries.karagarga.................

MultiForce
09-05-2007, 06:46 PM
http://www.binsearch.info/groups.php?server=2&name=lossless

And remember that most people do not see scene releases as crap, it's what they want :P

Something Else
09-05-2007, 07:05 PM
but you can get that scene stuff anywhere..and faster...what's the point???

The speeds are really awful over usenet, that's the main problem for me.....

EDIT: alt.binaries.karagarga is rubbish......

MultiForce
09-05-2007, 07:20 PM

I get 3MB/s from Giganews and that's 100% of my internet connection 24/7.

Most people don't get scene stuff from anything else than P2P etc. and you cannot say that that's faster. If you have other sources, use them.

I don't know what content you are after but I find more content on usenet than I do on P2P etc. Of course I find a lot of stuff on certain ftp sites (and they have content available a few hours faster than NG's) too but I don't have storage space to download more than 350-600 GB per month so I don't care.

Maybe NG's isn't the thing for you, I don't know.

Something Else
09-05-2007, 07:23 PM

Most people don't get scene stuff from anything else than P2P etc. and you cannot say that that's faster. If you have other sources, use them.

I don't know what content you are after but I find more content on usenet than I do on P2P etc. Of course I find a lot of stuff on certain ftp sites (and they have content available a few hours faster than NG's) too but I don't have storage space to download more than 350-600 GB per month so I don't care.

ok, thanks, so where am I goin wrong with the speed???
Content I was looking for was collections of rare movies from directors I like, herzog etc....
scene stuff I FTP which is earlier and faster than P2P. I only use P2P for rare movies really....

MultiForce
09-05-2007, 07:30 PM

Content I was looking for was collections of rare movies from directors I like, herzog etc....
scene stuff I FTP which is earlier and faster than P2P. I only use P2P for rare movies really....

Mail the provider and ask for their EU server if you don't use it already. I tried Usenetserver but did not get any good speeds there (got around 800KB/s) but I think it's related to location.

You might also sign up for a free 1GB trial @ Giganews just to check if you get better speeds there (remember to use the EU server).

r77
09-05-2007, 07:36 PM
100k/s is very slow >try to set 10 Connections ?
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/attachment.php?attachmentid=2220&d=1155225913

Something Else
09-05-2007, 07:41 PM
try to set 10 Connections ?

Thanks but that was the first thing I did, I followed the guide, as I'm a noob :)

UPDATE: I changed the port and the speed has picked up to 300k/s :D

Pilferd
09-06-2007, 06:23 AM
300k/s is still not good ...

im a n00b to usenet myself (been usin it for 2 weeks) but i came from 4 years of Bittorrenting, i was lucky if i topped 120 kb/s but averaged around 50 kb/s usin bittorent ... started using usenet and, looking at my speed now, im hittin around 3mb/s ...
basically i cant help ur situation cause i dont know much myself, but i can cosign to what multiforce is saying ... stick w/usenet and try to figure out why ur speeds arent hitting what they could ...

it use to take about 8-10 hours to DL'd a 3gb file from bittorent ... now i can pull those in - in about a half hour or so ... stick w/it ...

service im using: http://newshosting.com/
NZB client: alt.binz

Skiz
09-06-2007, 06:30 AM
try to set 10 Connections ?

Thanks but that was the first thing I did, I followed the guide, as I'm a noob :)

UPDATE: I changed the port and the speed has picked up to 300k/s :D

What is your max speed? What does speedtest.com tell you?

300k/s is still not good ...

im a n00b to usenet myself (been usin it for 2 weeks) but i came from 4 years of Bittorrenting, i was lucky if i topped 120 kb/s but averaged around 50 kb/s usin bittorent ... started using usenet and, looking at my speed now, im hittin around 3mb/s ...
basically i cant help ur situation cause i dont know much myself, but i can cosign to what multiforce is saying ... stick w/usenet and try to figure out why ur speeds arent hitting what they could ...

it use to take about 8-10 hours to DL'd a 3gb file from bittorent ... now i can pull those in - in about a half hour or so ... stick w/it ...

service im using: http://newshosting.com/
NZB client: alt.binz

It may not be good compared to you, but it may be his max.

Josha
09-06-2007, 06:55 AM
I recently got usenet from powerusenet and am happy about the speed......not 100% tho as I was expecting to max my connection.

So I came here to ask a question of how I could possibly max it.

My download speed is usually at 50mbit to 70mbit (thats the max I've gotten so far), my connection speed however is 100mbit so as you could see, there's still alot of room for improvement.

Connections I've set is 12 and on port 563.......the only think I could think of is to change the port to something else? I've tried 119 btw

oh and I'm in Europe

Something Else
09-06-2007, 03:01 PM
What is your max speed? What does speedtest.com tell you?

My torrents come in at 600k/sec steady....
usenet evens out at 300k/sec

4play
09-06-2007, 03:59 PM
there is defiantly something wrong speed wise you really should max out your connection. by the way who is your isp.

im with usenetserver/bt and im at a constant 720k

oh yeah are you uploading lots as well. that tends to kill your download speed.

try using their globalsearch (https://globalsearch.usenetserver.com/) for stuff you like. found a few Werner Herzog films listed there if that what your after.

Skiz
09-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Ah yes, as 4play stated, make sure you aren't running something else that's eating up your bandwidth. i.e., uTorrent.

Windy72
09-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Most peeps here use p2p and usenet. It is often said usenet, Bit Torrent, emule are all you need. Despite being on WinMx for years I feel thats pretty accurate.

P2P is great there is no way e mule would break the speed barrier but it is a trusty source. Bit Torrent can be fast but can also be slower than the mule. Usenet I always max my speed but as others have said do not have p2p apps open or if you do set the speed low so you should see a massive increase in line speed.

Sadly ISP's have started traffic shaping usenet but those that do also will target BT as it is the number 1 bandwidth hog. You really ought to max out on usenet fella.

rippinitup4fun
09-06-2007, 07:09 PM
try using SSL when I use it I always max my connection.

lukaz
09-07-2007, 03:13 PM
I have been with usenetserver for the last six months and have never had a problem with speeds and also in the uk like you, can only think the problem is on your side.

Maybe try SSL like the above poster as mentioned and see how it goes.

Josha
09-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Anyone else with Powerusenet and with 100mbit connection speed?

I can't seem to max it.......the max speed I get is 8,8MB/sec and its rare that it goes that high, I should be getting 12,5MB/sec.....

Something Else
09-07-2007, 06:36 PM
there is defiantly something wrong speed wise you really should max out your connection. by the way who is your isp.

try using their globalsearch (https://globalsearch.usenetserver.com/) for stuff you like. found a few Werner Herzog films listed there if that what your after.

I'm on usenetserver/rural internet
No other apps running....I tried globalsearch but it needs a login :( Thanks anyways...the thing is I have everything I've seen on usenet so far...my fault I guess for being old....:unsure:

munaaf
09-07-2007, 07:57 PM
lol as if 8.8mb isnt enough hehe i wish i would get that I tend to only reach 175.... even if my ddl would reach 750, i have 8mb net and use grabit using my internet provider news site.

4play
09-07-2007, 11:18 PM

I'm on usenetserver/rural internet
No other apps running....I tried globalsearch but it needs a login :( Thanks anyways...the thing is I have everything I've seen on usenet so far...my fault I guess for being old....:unsure:

try using the password and username you use for the server ;)

Something Else
09-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks mate, BTW is it rude to grab lots of NZB's???? I have a bad ratio :(

MultiForce
09-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks mate, BTW is it rude to grab lots of NZB's???? I have a bad ratio :(

99.99% of all the people here have "bad rating" hehe.... Nothing to worry about.

cubbyche
09-09-2007, 10:24 PM

Just wondering were do you find these FTP Sites to download from ...? Thanks!

Something Else
09-09-2007, 11:20 PM
The internets.........

MultiForce
09-09-2007, 11:40 PM
The internets.........

Something like that :D

cubbyche
09-09-2007, 11:52 PM
The internets.........
Guss you need to know someone friend of a friend
that's ok I don't have sufficient disk space as is...:(

ELF
09-16-2007, 10:24 PM
I've got a 6 Mbit connection, and I tend to max that out. Sometimes it runs a touch faster. Typically I DL from usenet anywhere between 650-800 KB/s. Torrents are obviously much slower for me, unless I'm on a private tracker, and/or there are a ton of seeders.

huqiming
09-18-2007, 03:49 PM
If your max download speed is less than 20MB, most premium news provider should be able to max that out. If you cannot get to your max speed, it's most likely your ISP is doing something.

And go to a good nzb site like newzbin.com to search for the stuff you want. binsearch.info is not as good, but free.