PDA

View Full Version : So Lets Get This Right

Insanity
07-04-2003, 11:04 PM
This forum is for serious topics alone, but your closing the topics that are serious? Please DO NOT take your personal views into codsideration! So please explain what we are meant to talk about in here? The things that the mods want to talk about and nobody else??

Insanity
07-04-2003, 11:07 PM
I meant this in the serious topics dudes, maybe a mod would move it?

Rat Faced
07-04-2003, 11:42 PM
Yes, this is for serious world issues.

The trouble with serious topics is that they get emotive.

Some, like "Abortion" can cause serious distress to people that have gone through it.

I did not "Close" the topic off my own back...it was not my decision alone.

The topic opened with a warning that it would be closely monitored, and could be closed at any time.

We tried to keep the topic open as long as possible, by asking ppl not to post pictures etc...

However, as one post in the topic showed, and what numerous PMs showed...is that people were being distressed over the subject.

That being the case....after consultation, it was decided to close the topic.

Insanity
07-04-2003, 11:48 PM
So why have you chosen to have a serious topic section if you do not allow serious topics? You say you got PM's in relation to this. What are they doing in this section anyway? Sort your selves out! Have a serious section or not, don't be laughable!

This is a serious discussion section, are you going to close every topic?

I saw some valid replies here, I don't think the abortion topic should of been closed.

Rat Faced
07-04-2003, 11:55 PM
Off hand i cant think of ANY topic, other than this, that has been closed in this section....so im not sure where the "close every topic" comes in.

You are of course, entitled to your opinion.

I said that "After Consultation".......it may yet be that the topic is re-opened after all the Admin/Mods have contributed to this.

I would however, prefer to err on the side of NOT causing further distress...so try and think of the subject on "Hold" for now.

Edited by RF....last two sentences.

Insanity
07-04-2003, 11:59 PM
Thank you.

So if you can point me to section where this topic has gone too far?? Nobody is being flamed, everyone is stating their views in an adult way. Please mods, don't base this on personal opinion, this is everyones views!

Rat Faced
07-05-2003, 12:02 AM
You replied while i was editing my previous post...please read the edited version.

RF

Insanity
07-05-2003, 12:06 AM
OK, I have said my peace, please feel free to close/delete this topic. As long as people have the freedom of speech etc :)

Thank you :)

thewizeard
07-05-2003, 12:09 AM
Insanity, I was following it as well. People were getting angry with each other. I understand what you are saying but I feel that it was for the time being the right descision.

Insanity
07-05-2003, 12:13 AM
I just don't understand why topics of less serious nature are being closed when the one that was closed was not even out of hand :rolleyes:

But never mind, i'm sure this section is being closely moderated now :)

MagicNakor
07-05-2003, 12:20 AM
This section's always been closely moderated. There's at least two mods who pop in on a regular basis. Sometimes they even say something. ;)

:ninja:

Insanity
07-05-2003, 12:21 AM
You mean they pop in every now and again to close a topic that they find offensive?

Insanity
07-05-2003, 12:26 AM
So why the hell do you have a serious debate section? I sugest you mods go into your own little section and re-think this :rolleyes:

jetje
07-05-2003, 11:03 AM
well some post seems to be missing here?

denis123
07-05-2003, 11:06 AM
Not a very enviable position being a moderator, Insanity. But see today this topic has been unlocked. I am sure it was locked yesterday. If the mod's dont lock it they get problems and if they do, they get problems as well. Some of the topics get deleted altogether they seem to disapear into thin air. That happened in the guestroom yesterday. No explanation whatsoever. I think it must be something to do with Merlin :sorcerer:

thewizeard
07-05-2003, 11:22 AM
To be honest I dont think this topic belongs here at all and should be moved to a more suitable location.

MagicNakor
07-05-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Insanity@5 July 2003 - 01:21
You mean they pop in every now and again to close a topic that they find offensive?
Obviously, you're new to this part of the forum. If you'd take time to look around, you'd see both Rat Faced and Jetje contribute to the discussions here.

:ninja:

thewizeard
07-07-2003, 10:59 PM
Isanity they listened to you it's been reopened.

Lamsey
07-07-2003, 11:08 PM
This is an example from page 6 of the Abortion topic:

I've just read some truly horrible ranting by JPaul, where he accuses women who choose to end a pregnancy of commiting infanticide. What gives anyone the right to pass such damning judgement on so very many women?

infanticide noun 1 the murder of a young child or infant. 2 someone who murders a young child or infant. 3 the practice of killing newborn children. infanticidal adj. 

From Chambers Dictionary

While it can certainly be argued at what stage of developement a foetus may be when an abortion takes place, you cannot refer to it as an infant.

Jpaul.
As i posted previously, the decision to terminate a pregancy must be the most heartbreaking decision a woman can make. What effect do you think your accusations could have on someone. Would you accuse someone, who'd had an abortion, of infanticide if they were in the same room, to their face? No, you would not. Can you imagine a woman crumpling in front of you, destroyed by your words?
While this is the internet, i think in this case you should still consider the effects your arrogant opinionatedness might have on someone.

I'm sure your going to condemn me as being too immature to be able to debate this topic. Well, i'm a (male) mental health nurse (grade G) with 11 years experience. I studied general nursing during my training and know exactly how traumatised a young woman can be following a terminated pregnancy. I also know that it is something very many woman never get over completely.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS POST.

It wasn't the mods who wanted the topic closed, it was the members who were getting offended.

We have decided to reopen this (on request) and watch it very closely indeed - this means a lot more work.
So please quit criticising and get on board. The mods are here to work with you, not against you.

j2k4
07-08-2003, 04:41 AM
It is indeed the rare topic that is closed-the abortion issue is, I'm sure, one the mods dread, and for good reason, as has been demonstrated.

I think they have, are, and will continue to perform with admirable sensibility and sensitivity.