PDA

View Full Version : Problem in Win XP

snake696
09-06-2007, 08:03 AM
When i installed my windows xp several weeks ago, i made an image backup of drive c: with acronis true image; yesterday i discovered some viruses and trojans , so i restored my xp from the backup image with acronis.

But now everytime i try to install a program or simply to enter in control panel, i get an error saying that :

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

I went in safe mode and my account is with administrator privileges.

Can anyone tell me pls what should i do ?

raspberry1331
09-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Are you using Kerio? If so, try disabling the system security module. (Found this piece of info after some googling.)

snake696
09-06-2007, 09:56 AM
i am using sygate. but i don't think that the firewall has anything to do with my problem.
i think that there is a problem with rundll32

enviouz
09-06-2007, 10:22 AM
When i installed my windows xp several weeks ago, i made an image backup of drive c: with acronis true image; yesterday i discovered some viruses and trojans , so i restored my xp from the backup image with acronis.

But now everytime i try to install a program or simply to enter in control panel, i get an error saying that :

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

I went in safe mode and my account is with administrator privileges.

Can anyone tell me pls what should i do ?

check that you have the same drive letter now as you did before you restored. i know it may seem really wierd and retarded but acronis does sometimes change the drive letter when you restore and can cause all kinds of strange problems.ive had my c drive (windows) changed to e and my 2 opticals moved to c and d. its a know bug in acronis ti since version 7 but they dont seem to want to fix it. id check the drive letters first.

raspberry1331
09-06-2007, 03:12 PM
i am using sygate. but i don't think that the firewall has anything to do with my problem.
i think that there is a problem with rundll32

a firewall can decide to block rundll32 as well... but you do have a different firewall, so maybe your problem is different this time. checking the drive letters is a very good idea though.

spark
09-06-2007, 06:39 PM
I think you still have a virus.

marcelodamian
10-01-2007, 05:19 AM
reinstall XP its my only solution...