PDA

View Full Version : Are you a racist?

Skiz
09-06-2007, 06:41 PM
According to a recent class exercise, I am. I scored a 50% on a particular section relating to racism and racist comments.

Evidently, if I include the ethnic background of a person who is running for for City Council, even into a conversation, I am being a racist. How does that assumption fit in to any reasonable argument?

Can we not speak about how different ethnicities have well documented voting trends or consider it our vote without being considered a racist? Just because all whites, or all blacks or all Mexican immigrants don't vote a certain way, does not make the statement racist.

Am I a sexist because I believe a female may not have the same beliefs as me, a male? Or that a female may not have the same interests as me and vote in ways that would be contradictory to my beliefs?

When a certain sex or race votes a certain way in almost every campaign issue, voicing concerns about a candidate or even mentioning their sex or race in conversation is NOT sexist or racist. When 80% of black/female/whatever congress leaders vote almost the same way on particular issues, considering that in your vote isn't racist, that's what's know as the Law of Probability, folks.

Sam

Something Else
09-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Political correctness is turning in to unintelligent, over zealous rule-mongering....

Mr JP Fugley
09-06-2007, 06:58 PM
According to a recent class exercise, I am. I scored a 50% on a particular section relating to racism and racist comments.

Evidently, if I include the ethnic background of a person who is running for for City Council, even into a conversation, I am being a racist. How does that assumption fit in to any reasonable argument?

Can we not speak about how different ethnicities have well documented voting trends or consider it our vote without being considered a racist? Just because all whites, or all blacks or all Mexican immigrants don't vote a certain way, does not make the statement racist.

Am I a sexist because I believe a female may not have the same beliefs as me, a male? Or that a female may not have the same interests as me and vote in ways that would be contradictory to my beliefs?

When a certain sex or race votes a certain way in almost every campaign issue, voicing concerns about a candidate or even mentioning their sex or race in conversation is NOT sexist or racist. When 80% of black/female/whatever congress leaders vote almost the same way on particular issues, considering that in your vote isn't racist, that's what's know as the Law of Probability, folks.

Sam

I agree with the racist.

bigboab
09-06-2007, 07:38 PM
I found this test that you have to do at speed.
My results:

Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for White People compared to Black People.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/uk/measureyourattitudes.html

Mr JP Fugley
09-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Black People compared to White People.

To be fair, given the way the test works (no point in telling you that as it would be a spoiler for you) I think I can probably explain that slight deviation from neutrality in a fairly simple way. Tho' they say that is already factored in.

HunterJelly
09-06-2007, 08:05 PM
I don't know the dictionary definition for raceism, but I think that you are not a racist until you repeatedly insult a certain races trends in a general way, such as saying black people like Chicken and Watermelon, it may be a common thing for them, but please for the love of HJ make it clear that you don't mean every damn one of them.

I think some racial bashing here and there can be funny, but people that instantly judge a person of a certain race with these trends should really consider shutting the hell up and giving them a chance.

Not every African American is going to mug you.

(Do I need to just shut the hell up?)

ilw
09-06-2007, 10:14 PM
all texans are racist

j2k4
09-06-2007, 11:44 PM
I have read studies which concluded that those who endeavor to split the racial "hair" so finely are assholes, who (somewhat ironically, I think) like watermelon but hate chicken.

I like chicken and hate watermelon, which probably means I like some black people while disliking others, without regard to their food preferences.

I'm okay with that. :dabs:

MaxOverlord
09-07-2007, 02:20 AM
Racism by its definition means that you think your race is superior to another. This means a black man thinks his "blackness" makes him superior to All people of white skin.
Or my "whiteness" means I'm superior to all black skinned people.

This bull about thinking that you as an individual are better than someone means your a racist is absurd.

I think the 100 yard dash is better than the 1 mile. Does that make me a racist?

What if I'm white and I hate all white people. Am I then a racist?

thewizeard
09-07-2007, 06:31 AM
I don't know the dictionary definition for raceism, but I think that you are not a racist until you repeatedly insult a certain races trends in a general way, such as saying black people like Chicken and Watermelon, it may be a common thing for them, but please for the love of HJ make it clear that you don't mean every damn one of them.

I think some racial bashing here and there can be funny, but people that instantly judge a person of a certain race with these trends should really consider shutting the hell up and giving them a chance.

Not every African American is going to mug you.

(Do I need to just shut the hell up?)

No you don't HunterJelly nice imput :) Give my regards..no more.... my love to Shakita ...

Barbarossa
09-07-2007, 08:34 AM
My results:

Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for White People compared to Black People.

I'm not sure... I'm sure the longer the test goes on, the better you get at it, even though they say they've taken this into account.

Interesting, though.

AugustoP
09-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Racism by its definition means that you think your race is superior to another. This means a black man thinks his "blackness" makes him superior to All people of white skin.

Not exactly. Modern definition of "racist" is "the man who believes that people of different race are different". If someone says that black people have natural affinity for basketball or Jews have natural affinity for finances, he's a racist.

PS. Btw, what is the politically correct term for inhabitants of Africa?

Barbarossa
09-07-2007, 08:56 AM

Ummm, Africans? :blink:

Chip Monk
09-07-2007, 09:16 AM

Not exactly. Modern definition of "racist" is "the man who believes that people of different race are different". If someone says that black people have natural affinity for basketball or Jews have natural affinity for finances, he's a racist.

Is it wrong for me to discriminate against idiots ... fuck it, you're an idiot.

On a side issue, if I discriminate against lesbians am I guilty of lesbianism.

j2k4
09-07-2007, 10:04 AM
Modern definition of "racist" is "the man who believes that people of different race are different".

W.A.S.P.: "You have black skin and I have white skin; I deduce thereby that you are of a different race.

Black Person: "You are a Racist".

W.A.S.P.: "You are just like me; you are my equal in every way."

Black Person: "Have you noticed my skin-color at all."

W.A.S.P.: "You are a racist".

Yes, I see how that works now.

Thanks for that.

Biggles
09-07-2007, 11:23 AM

Is it wrong for me to discriminate against idiots ... fuck it, you're an idiot.

On a side issue, if I discriminate against lesbians am I guilty of lesbianism.

We both have been lesbians for a long time and proud of it.

To me racism is discrimination on the basis of race. I will arrest you because you are black I will give you the job because you are white. To notice someone is black or white has bugger all to do with it.

I did the sexism one by mistake :pinch: not having a good morning. It did say I had no preference one way or another - challenging my lesbianism I fancy - sexist gits!

AugustoP
09-07-2007, 11:24 AM

I mean when you refer specifically to black people of Africa.

Biggles
09-07-2007, 11:26 AM

I mean when you refer specifically to black people of Africa.

Black Africans?

But why would you? Do you need to specify white for Europeans?

Snee
09-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for White People compared to Black People.

I'd strongly object to this, TBH, there's nothing moderate about it :dry:

Stupid test, though, where I got stuff wrong on, was the white people = good-bit, only the questionnaire could possibly suggest I preferred whites over the black*, at all.

As far as Skizo goes, I'd say that as long as he didn't refer to people of other "races" (still a fucking stupid concept, btw, given that the last true other human race was the neanderthals, although it's really nice of merkins to include them in their constitution, like, I'll give you that) with derogatory names, along the lines of "towelheads" or "darkies" or something, in all seriousness, then he's in the clear.

EDit: *And why the hell all we still referring to them as black, btw? They are usually a shade of brown, like.

Busyman
09-07-2007, 04:23 PM
EDit: *And why the hell all we still referring to them as black, btw? They are usually a shade of brown, like.

It's easier than calling them a shade of brown. White people aren't "white" either. Whatever happened to calling them Caucasians?

On a side note, I'm getting pretty tiffed at fucking idiots equating anti-illegal immigration to racism.

Look up the recent crap in Herndon, Virginia for this idiocy.

Snee
09-07-2007, 04:43 PM

It's easier than calling them a shade of brown. White people aren't "white" either. Whatever happened to calling them Caucasians?

Good point. Although "white" feels less derogatory than "black", so far as their connotations go, at least as far as I know.

Busyman
09-07-2007, 05:42 PM

Good point. Although "white" feels less derogatory than "black", so far as their connotations go, at least as far as I know.

I'd rather be called black than African-American.

I ain't African ffs. Funny enough I don't know of or heard of any black person being offended from being called black.

Busyman™
09-08-2007, 12:31 AM
nvm

MaxOverlord
09-08-2007, 02:01 AM
I guess I'd be white-american. or caucasian-american.

I stick with Teddy Roosevelt..."There are no hyphenated Americans."

Mr JP Fugley
09-08-2007, 07:56 AM
I stick with Teddy Roosevelt..."There are no hyphenated Americans."

I like that.

j2k4
09-08-2007, 11:58 PM
My results:

Hmmm.

I got this:

Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between White People and Black People.

kallieb
09-09-2007, 04:30 AM
Language can be a minefield -- the reference to political correctness is well-placed in this thread. I believe that there continues to be tremendous divisions between groups of people on the basis of race/religion/sex etc. I believe we have changed our language far more than we have changed our ideals, beliefs and practises.

As much as great effort has been made to try and legislate and educate people to practise and consider greater tolerance and understanding; regretably those measurements that we look to that would tell us that things are getting better show us that things are not in the manner we hope for, ie crime statistics regarding violence against women (rape, domestic violence, murder), child abuse, gay bashing, etc all remain at very disturbing levels.

In my country there was a huge debate last year around the whole issue of gay marriage (which is now legal in canada by the way). Those factions in government and elsewhere pushed hard for a free vote in parliament to determine the issue on the basis of a majority opinion. Our very wise Prime Minister said at the time...Since when should the majority determine the fundamental rights of a minority.

I know this drifts a bit from the start of the topic, but it prompted me to consider some of the themes that were coming through.

some more food for thought I suppose.

bigboab
09-09-2007, 08:33 AM
My results:

Hmmm.

I got this:

Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between White People and Black People.

How many shots to get that answer?:whistling

Allygemz
09-09-2007, 07:25 PM
They need to stop all this PC crap in schools! It's ruining reality!

bigboab
09-09-2007, 07:47 PM

I thought that there was something wrong with him.:rolleyes:

In what way do you think it is ruining reality? I am given the impression that if you are not PC then you are not in touch with reality.:)

Allygemz
09-09-2007, 08:20 PM

In what way do you think it is ruining reality? I am given the impression that if you are not PC then you are not in touch with reality.:)

The reality of the world is people have opinions about people. It doesn't make them bad and hiding peoples opinions is only wrapping younger generations in cotton from knowing that there are jerks in the world. It's like US' "hate crimes" how on earth do you charge a person for a thought?

Common sense and manners are enough, why does there have to be a parade or a protest if someone says something unflattering to a group of people?

Being PC is one thing, being the PC police on other people is IMO sticking ones nose in a place it doesn't belong. If someone is a bigot, let them speak, they wont idoctrinate me into their thinking but rather make me see them for who they are. I think everyone should be able to use their own judgement rather than people telling people they cannot say this or that.

bigboab
09-09-2007, 08:44 PM

The reality of the world is people have opinions about people. It doesn't make them bad and hiding peoples opinions is only wrapping younger generations in cotton from knowing that there are jerks in the world. It's like US' "hate crimes" how on earth do you charge a person for a thought?

Common sense and manners are enough, why does there have to be a parade or a protest if someone says something unflattering to a group of people?

Being PC is one thing, being the PC police on other people is IMO sticking ones nose in a place it doesn't belong. If someone is a bigot, let them speak, they wont idoctrinate me into their thinking but rather make me see them for who they are. I think everyone should be able to use their own judgement rather than people telling people they cannot say this or that.

Why is it PC to call someone a bigot? :)

Allygemz
09-09-2007, 09:01 PM

It's PC too quiet the bigots. It's just putting another group in the closet

Busyman™
09-09-2007, 09:03 PM

You make no sense.

No one says you can't say what you what and other can say it's not cool to say what you want in all cases.

Substitute the word cool for PC.

Hell the folks that "say what they want" in this PC world are even more idiots. It's think it's great that people protest. It's better than violence and it brings more attention to the idiot.

Then again you'll have a minority think the idiot was right and those that think protests are stupid.

You can have your opinions and I can think your opinions make you an idiot fuck.

Busyman™
09-09-2007, 09:09 PM

Actually it's PC to protest a bigot politician to put him outta office.

It's also PC to protest a bigot radio personality so he loses his job.

I find it odd that you are against this.

There are some racist black guys in army fatiques outside of my subway stop ever so often with posters and a megaphone.

I wish they'd STFU and go in the closet.

Allygemz
09-09-2007, 09:29 PM

You make no sense.

No one says you can't say what you what and other can say it's not cool to say what you want in all cases.

Hell the folks that "say what they want" in this PC world are even more idiots. It's think it's great that people protest. It's better than violence and it brings more attention to the idiot.

Then again you'll have a minority think the idiot was right and those that think protests are stupid.

You can have your opinions and I can think your opinions make you an idiot fuck.

I think what I am saying is either not clear (not surprised) or are going over your head (you like protests, I work, I'm guessing this is it)

Do you realize that the US media is run by the "PC police"?

I agree, let people say what they want. Let everyone else see them for the idiots they are. Shutting them up helps nobody.

Hate crimes fall under PC police legistration. It comes down to what the agressor is thinking, their opinion regarding a minority.

Let people speak, let society judge. Pretty simple. Political Correcting shuts people up and puts bigots in the closets. I'd rather point at them. Although, I work, so protesting is not an option. Not that I would take that option. Clusters of large groups is just asking for trouble. Most times it gets that result. No denying that.

Allygemz
09-09-2007, 09:30 PM

Actually it's PC to protest a bigot politician to put him outta office.

It's also PC to protest a bigot radio personality so he loses his job.

I find it odd that you are against this.

There are some racist black guys in army fatiques outside of my subway stop ever so often with posters and a megaphone.

I wish they'd STFU and go in the closet.

Oh Lord!

I dont believe in protests! I don't believe in being PC. Christ!

MaxOverlord
09-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Geez Bob its Reality in this thread and Brainwashing in the other.

Do you see the irony?

Allygemz
09-10-2007, 01:11 AM
Geez Bob its Reality in this thread and Brainwashing in the other.

Do you see the irony?

Ironic.... innit? :P

Busyman™
09-10-2007, 03:48 AM
You make no sense.

I think what I am saying is either not clear (not surprised) or are going over your head (you like protests, I work, I'm guessing this is it)

I agree, let people say what they want. Let everyone else see them for the idiots they are. Shutting them up helps nobody.

Hate crimes fall under PC police legistration. It comes down to what the agressor is thinking, their opinion regarding a minority.

Let people speak, let society judge. Pretty simple. Political Correcting shuts people up and puts bigots in the closets. I'd rather point at them. Although, I work, so protesting is not an option. Not that I would take that option. Clusters of large groups is just asking for trouble. Most times it gets that result. No denying that.

Again, you make no sense. You don't have to protest. People are allowed to speak and people do judge.

There are people that think what Michael Vick did wasn't bad enough to warrant as harsh a punishment as many think he'll get.
They speak out and people hear them. Some think those defenders are idiots and some don't.

Then there are those who protest outside of the Falcons stadium. They are letting the NFL and Falcon's management know that tickets will be hurt by even letting him play.

It is nonviolent protest. I don't see the problem unless this was some commi country. I couldn't give a rat's ass on whether you personally would protest anything or not. Protest can and do work.

Fact.

What the hell does the fact that I like one's ability to be able to protest in this country have to do with you working? Maybe this is going over your head or you hail from China or Russia. You also contradict yourself. Protests are one's ability to not STFU and not necessarily make someone else STFU.

Also you keep harping on hate crimes and mixing it with political correctness. They are two different things.

bigboab
09-10-2007, 07:11 AM
When I was about 16 I lived in a little village. there was an U.S.A.F base 200 yards outside the village. The place that Elvis passed through. Anyway, one sunny day I was walking through the village and I saw this enormous coloured guy standing at the village cross. He had a smile from ear to ear. He asked us where he could get a bus for Glasgow and was he allowed to get on it. I asked him why he was smiling the way that he did and he told me that he would not be allowed to walk around as freely as he was doing if he was back home in Alabama. To be honest I did not understand what he was talking about.

Some years later my wife and I were waiting in a queue to get into a club in Nashville. There was 4 coloured people standing in front of us. When they reached the front of the queue they were told that the entry charge was $10. They turned away. We did not mind as we wanted to see the artist that was appearing, also we were on holiday. When we went to pay we were charged one dollar each.

Now that is racism and should not be allowed anywhere.

I don't get offended when people talk about the Scots being mean. Sticks and stones etc.:)

Allygemz
09-10-2007, 11:04 AM

Again, you make no sense. You don't have to protest. People are allowed to speak and people do judge.

There are people that think what Michael Vick did wasn't bad enough to warrant as harsh a punishment as many think he'll get.
They speak out and people hear them. Some think those defenders are idiots and some don't.

Then there are those who protest outside of the Falcons stadium. They are letting the NFL and Falcon's management know that tickets will be hurt by even letting him play.

It is nonviolent protest. I don't see the problem unless this was some commi country. I couldn't give a rat's ass on whether you personally would protest anything or not. Protest can and do work.

Fact.

What the hell does the fact that I like one's ability to be able to protest in this country have to do with you working? Maybe this is going over your head or you hail from China or Russia. You also contradict yourself. Protests are one's ability to not STFU and not necessarily make someone else STFU.

Also you keep harping on hate crimes and mixing it with political correctness. They are two different things.

I don't make sense? You are bringing up a case that has nothing at all to do with Political Correctness lol Michael Vick is accused of animal cruelty.

Being PC is keeping your mouth shut so as to not offend a group of people for their race, sexuality, religion etc

Hate crimes makes an assault or murder a federal crime if the person accused is thought to have done the crime because of the victims race, sexuality, religion etc.

You bring up a US football player arrested for dogfights and killing animals! Figure out what this thread is about first FFS!

edit to add: Most protestors tend to be career protestors. Most people with stable jobs can't just take off all willy nilly to wa;l around holding signs in front of the doors of people they consider "mean" ugh

Allygemz
09-10-2007, 11:09 AM
When I was about 16 I lived in a little village. there was an U.S.A.F base 200 yards outside the village. The place that Elvis passed through. Anyway, one sunny day I was walking through the village and I saw this enormous coloured guy standing at the village cross. He had a smile from ear to ear. He asked us where he could get a bus for Glasgow and was he allowed to get on it. I asked him why he was smiling the way that he did and he told me that he would not be allowed to walk around as freely as he was doing if he was back home in Alabama. To be honest I did not understand what he was talking about.

Some years later my wife and I were waiting in a queue to get into a club in Nashville. There was 4 coloured people standing in front of us. When they reached the front of the queue they were told that the entry charge was $10. They turned away. We did not mind as we wanted to see the artist that was appearing, also we were on holiday. When we went to pay we were charged one dollar each.

I don't get offended when people talk about the Scots being mean. Sticks and stones etc.:)

Being PC and freedom of all people are not the same thing. In the UK it is discussed very often about having to be "PC" It's about words, not actions! Wasn't there an uproar about Marco Pierre White saying "Pikeys Picnic" Prime example. Doesn't compare to how black were treated in the US.

Sometime good intentions go too far. If bigots cannot express themselves, how do we know who they are? Because in the PC world, if a person who is far from a bigot makes an innocent off color remark, their lives/reputations could be ruined.

Barbarossa
09-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Wasn't there an uproar about Marco Pierre White saying "Pikeys Picnic" Prime example.

I don't know if a disgruntled dumb ex-popstar constitutes an "uproar" :idunno:

I've heard there were complaints, but I can't understand who would complain because none of the pikeys I've ever seen have tellies :dabs:

Allygemz
09-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Wasn't there an uproar about Marco Pierre White saying "Pikeys Picnic" Prime example.

I don't know if a disgruntled dumb ex-popstar constitutes an "uproar" :idunno:

I've heard there were complaints, but I can't understand who would complain because none of the pikey's I've ever seen have tellys :dabs:

I read, I believe it was the Telegraph that there was supposed to be a protest. When I was looking for Marcos book on google UK, there was actually a bunch of articles about it. Although, I know many are considered the wacky tabloids, still was more than that snivel snot boy bander LOL

Barbarossa
09-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Oh, so it's basically busybodies being offended on other people's behalf.

That's one thing that really pisses me off.

Allygemz
09-10-2007, 12:18 PM

Myself as well. I know I am too wordy... biggest fault, second to my horrid grammar and spelling lol

But that is exactly it. Busybodies playing the offended card. Give me a break

bigboab
09-10-2007, 12:20 PM

Got it in one.:clap:

Busyman
09-10-2007, 01:18 PM

Fact.

I don't make sense? You are bringing up a case that has nothing at all to do with Political Correctness lol Michael Vick is accused of animal cruelty.

Being PC is keeping your mouth shut so as to not offend a group of people for their race, sexuality, religion etc

Hate crimes makes an assault or murder a federal crime if the person accused is thought to have done the crime because of the victims race, sexuality, religion etc.

You bring up a US football player arrested for dogfights and killing animals! Figure out what this thread is about first FFS!

edit to add: Most protestors tend to be career protestors. Most people with stable jobs can't just take off all willy nilly to wa;l around holding signs in front of the doors of people they consider "mean" ugh

What the fuck! You keep bringing up protests. Wtf do protests have to do with hate crimes and MAKING SOMEONE STFU!

If you were more coherent and stopped mixing your rant about how you work and can't protest then you'd make sense.

Goodness fuck!

Allygemz
09-10-2007, 02:24 PM

What the fuck! You keep bringing up protests. Wtf do protests have to do with hate crimes and MAKING SOMEONE STFU!

If you were more coherent and stopped mixing your rant about how you work and can't protest then you'd make sense.

Goodness fuck!

This thread is about PC... you brought up Michael Vick. Where's the connection? Is Kevin Bacon involved?

Keep up..... The meat of the discussion isn't about protests. If you get all excited over one sentence, maybe you should step back, take a breath and figure out what your posts have to do with the subject...... even remotely!

Edit to add: the very small insignificant point of protests and working was that there are many career protestors. Most folks can't take off work to stand around with signs over someones bad taste in the PC world.

trobinson97
09-10-2007, 02:56 PM

Couloured?

bigboab
09-10-2007, 04:55 PM

Goodness fuck!

This thread is about PC... you brought up Michael Vick. Where's the connection? Is Kevin Bacon involved?

Keep up..... The meat of the discussion isn't about protests. If you get all excited over one sentence, maybe you should step back, take a breath and figure out what your posts have to do with the subject...... even remotely!

Edit to add: the very small insignificant point of protests and working was that there are many career protestors. Most folks can't take off work to stand around with signs over someones bad taste in the PC world.

No, this thread is about racism.:)

@trobinson97 :unsure:

Busyman
09-10-2007, 05:20 PM

Goodness fuck!

What? The thread is about racism. You brought up protests and PC.

I brought up protests (like you did) and related it to Vick. You say people shouldn't and that you work. I say they should have the right. That's related.

I say also that if some politician says some off shit that we have the right to call him on it.

Allygemz
09-10-2007, 09:14 PM

I brought up protests (like you did) and related it to Vick. You say people shouldn't and that you work. I say they should have the right. That's related.

I say also that if some politician says some off shit that we have the right to call him on it.

The meat of the thread, NOT THE TOPIC (see the 2nd post :wacko: ) is about PC, tests like the OP mentions is the result of the PC world we now live in.

Michael Vick is some ignorant American football player who seriously abused animals. There is no connection to his story and this entire thread.

Don't back peddle, it's ok, you made an error. Life is about learning :)

Busyman™
09-10-2007, 10:06 PM

The meat of the thread, NOT THE TOPIC (see the 2nd post :wacko: ) is about PC, tests like the OP mentions is the result of the PC world we now live in.

Michael Vick is some ignorant American football player who seriously abused animals. There is no connection to his story and this entire thread.

No bud. You keep talking about PC and protests....wtf?!

Your protest bit made me bring up Mike Vick. I brought up nothing about his abuse of animals. I brought up the protests.

It's quite simple. If you can't keep your rants under control, there's help around these parts.

PC, yes. Protests, no.

Mmk?

Allygemz
09-10-2007, 10:11 PM

Your protest bit made me bring up Mike Vick. I brought up nothing about his abuse of animals. I brought up the protests.

It's quite simple. If you can't keep your rants under control, there's help around these parts.

PC, yes. Protests, no.

Mmk?

What does protesting Michael Vick have to do with protesting over being PC (ya know, the bigot discussion, teaching children in school they are bigots because it's pc, protesting people who say un PC things)

PC, no! Protests, Hell no!

Busyman™
09-10-2007, 10:20 PM

PC, yes. Protests, no.

Mmk?

What does protesting Michael Vick have to do with protesting over being PC (ya know, the bigot discussion, teaching children in school they are bigots because it's pc, protesting people who say un PC things)

It relates to people having a right to protest in general.

That was made quite clear.

People should protest what they want. They should bring attention to assholes if they so choose to do so.

If someone protests something I don't give a shit about, I won't care. If you feel folks waste their time protesting, why do you even give a fuck?:1eye:

Allygemz
09-10-2007, 10:23 PM

People should protest what they want. They should bring attention to assholes if they so choose to do so.

If someone protests something I don't give a shit about, I won't care. If you feel folks waste their time protesting, why do you even give a fuck?:1eye:

Ever try to get to work during rush hour in NYC when streets are closed off for protestors?

I just read this thread over. I am boggled how you do not understand what I mean. It isn't even about disagreeing with me. I don't think you really do. I think you have taken a sentence here and there and ran with it. Sorry you don't comprehend what I am saying. But hey! You got to say "fuck" at me a few times. That should mean something :frusty:

Busyman™
09-10-2007, 10:34 PM

Ever try to get to work during rush hour in NYC when streets are closed off for protestors?

I just read this thread over. I am boggled how you do not understand what I mean. It isn't even about disagreeing with me. I don't think you really do. I think you have taken a sentence here and there and ran with it. Sorry you don't comprehend what I am saying. But hey! You got to say "fuck" at me a few times. That should mean something :frusty:

I work in Washington D.C. so I get a full glut of protesters between illegal immigration or the IMF/World Bank.

I hate them fucking up my commute but that's something else now isn't it?

You said protests in general.

Oh yes I understand. You want to limit a person's right to protest "cuz you don't like it cuz you work".

Big hooty.:ermm:

Protests/marches are for bringing attention to a cause or wrong. Nothing more.

j2k4
09-10-2007, 10:40 PM
OT for this one post only (and your reply, hopefully), Busyman - what do you think of the Vick situation?

Thumbnail version, of course. ;)

MaxOverlord
09-10-2007, 10:42 PM
I tried to organize a protest once to protest the protesters.

Needless to say no one showed up.

I thought this thread was about a racism test and what constitutes racism.

The PC part came in as a response to how we have become so absurdly PC to avoid sounding or acting racist.

Busyman. I'm working on the Arse thing.

Thanks for your support.

P.S what Vick did is disgusting, but not unique.

Allygemz
09-10-2007, 10:46 PM

I work in Washington D.C. so I get a full glut of protesters between illegal immigration or the IMF/World Bank.

Oh yes I understand. You want to limit a person's right to protest "cuz you don't like it cuz you work".

I think only animals should run in packs. People should vote differently or write letters.

I never said people shouldn't have the right to protest. This world has come a long way from protests. But the protests of today are far different than the protests of long ago. It's like career college students. You know the term? Career protestors. A guess a few bad apples, but they do stink and it ruins the cause. They took the UK soap off here Eastenders. I paid to have Direct tv just so I could get BBCA and be caught up rather than 4 years behind on PBS. If that wasn't insane enough, there were actually people protesting Discovery channel (I believe they were it) over a flipping show!

I am too wordy, I realize that and I am sure my message gets lost. But tests in schools to see how much of a bigot one is falls under this new breed of PC crapola. It is connected. If a bigot has to keep his opinions to himself, who would know the real jerk they are dealing with? Let idiots show themselves. Shutting them up because it isn't PC to make a racial joke confuses genuine people who cracked a joke from real, cross burning bigots.

Allygemz
09-10-2007, 10:48 PM

The PC part came in as a response to how we have become so absurdly PC to avoid sounding or acting racist.

Thanks for your support.

When the Gulf war started, there was a protest in DC, I knew someone who went to protest the protestors.

Damn, I wish I had the gift of saying what I mean in just a few sentences! Good on you! :D

Busyman™
09-10-2007, 11:01 PM

Thanks for your support.

Agreed. I also believe people have made dogs into humans.

I got the PC part. The protest part was rather weird.

It sounds as if Alley wants protests to be illegal or some commi crap like that.

If some politician makes some racist remark cuz he's either racist (they are out there) or is simply outta touch and clueless then folks can call him on it.

They can "not have meant anything by it" all they want. If one has a hard time controlling what they say and their job involves public speaking then they should find another line o' work.

Hell it wouldn't be PC for boab to call folks colored over here. It might be where he lives (plus he's really old).:happy:

If he was a radio personality in America, he'd have folks pissed at him.

If you don't your audience, you should STFU.

I wonder why this is so hard for people.

Busyman™
09-10-2007, 11:09 PM

I think only animals should run in packs. People should vote differently or write letters.

I never said people shouldn't have the right to protest. This world has come a long way from protests. But the protests of today are far different than the protests of long ago. It's like career college students. You know the term? Career protestors. A guess a few bad apples, but they do stink and it ruins the cause. They took the UK soap off here Eastenders. I paid to have Direct tv just so I could get BBCA and be caught up rather than 4 years behind on PBS. If that wasn't insane enough, there were actually people protesting Discovery channel (I believe they were it) over a flipping show!

I am too wordy, I realize that and I am sure my message gets lost. But tests in schools to see how much of a bigot one is falls under this new breed of PC crapola. It is connected. If a bigot has to keep his opinions to himself, who would know the real jerk they are dealing with? Let idiots show themselves. Shutting them up because it isn't PC to make a racial joke confuses genuine people who cracked a joke from real, cross burning bigots.

Oh well yeah. I made remarks about this last week to wifey.

I said, "Look at them. They probably don't have jobs, their parents are rich, and/or they are one of those that have been constantly searching for purpose."

What I find ultimately is that we aren't cool with them unless they are protesting something we disagree with also.

The funny thing about idiots showing themselves is that even in this PC world, they still do.

Would I rather have overt racism? Fuck no.

If that guy thinks I'm a nigger, I'd rather he keep it to himself (unless he's making my sandwich).

It causes more tension.

What do you think of this?

r90z0PMnKwI

The guy he refers to is an American of Indian descent

MaxOverlord
09-10-2007, 11:25 PM

I said, "Look at them. They probably don't have jobs, their parents are rich, and/or they are one of those that have been constantly searching for purpose."

What I find ultimately is that we aren't cool with them unless they are protesting something we disagree with also.

The funny thing about idiots showing themselves is that even in this PC world, they still do.

If that guy thinks I'm a nigger, I'd rather he keep it to himself (unless he's making my sandwich).

It causes more tension.

r90z0PMnKwI

He lost his Senate seat. I don't believe he didn't know what the word meant, as he claimed.

Thats a very intentional word usage.

"Unless he's making my sandwich" nice. Laughed at that one.

Allygemz
09-10-2007, 11:41 PM

It causes more tension.

r90z0PMnKwI

Because we saw that, we know who he is. Was it a horrible thing he said? No, I've heard worse from my own gran. But if he was playing by the PC rules, people would vote for him without know the true nitwit he is. I am not cool with any protestors. Do I think it's ok to see nuns holding pictures of chopped up fetuses in front of abortion clinics? Hell no! It is inappropriate in public to see while driving home from breakfeast with my niece. But I understand freedom. You can't legistate stupid. No matter how much we want to.

I don't think anyone should call a person the N word. But I bet the people who think it and don't say it are more afraid of getting their asses kicked than what the world thinks of them. Someone made a comment to me "shanty Irish" that, I would say is on the same level as "pikey" insulting but not the same level as the N word IMO Ignorance, it's all it is. I don't want to legistate stupid. Thats what PC has become, we keep letting it.

FFS I went on and on again! Damn it!

Busyman™
09-11-2007, 01:38 AM

It causes more tension.

r90z0PMnKwI

Because we saw that, we know who he is. Was it a horrible thing he said? No, I've heard worse from my own gran. But if he was playing by the PC rules, people would vote for him without know the true nitwit he is. I am not cool with any protestors. Do I think it's ok to see nuns holding pictures of chopped up fetuses in front of abortion clinics? Hell no! It is inappropriate in public to see while driving home from breakfeast with my niece. But I understand freedom. You can't legistate stupid. No matter how much we want to.

I don't think anyone should call a person the N word. But I bet the people who think it and don't say it are more afraid of getting their asses kicked than what the world thinks of them. Someone made a comment to me "shanty Irish" that, I would say is on the same level as "pikey" insulting but not the same level as the N word IMO Ignorance, it's all it is. I don't want to legistate stupid. Thats what PC has become, we keep letting it.

Oh you should read my comments on those trying to legislate/ban the N word.

We are both on point about legislating PCness.

However, if some fuck politician goes on spouting off at the mouth such a word with venom then I think people have the right to protest and bring attention to the fuck.

It's quite simple really.

As far as George Allen, he sat there with his good ole boys calling the Indian looking guy macaca and referring to him as some type of foreigner and the guy was born here. I doubt he would have called him macaca if he was white.

George gave him what his opponent wanted. Nice going.

What an idiot.

@Ally, if you aren't already a member with a new username :ermm:

here's some readin' for you

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-the-drawing-room-55/t-how-many-you-heard-this-189618

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-the-drawing-room-55/t-don-dumbass-imus-172532

MaxOverlord
09-11-2007, 01:59 AM

However, if some fuck politician goes on spouting off at the mouth such a word with venom then I think people have the right to protest and bring attention to the fuck.

As far as George Allen, he sat there with his good ole boys calling the Indian looking guy macaca and referring to him as some type of foreigner and the guy was born here. I doubt he would have called him macaca if he was white.

What an idiot.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Jim Webb won Allen's seat.

He did sound like a major ass when he said that.

After that he deserved to lose. And to think I liked the guy.

Allygemz
09-11-2007, 02:40 AM

What an idiot.

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-the-drawing-room-55/t-how-many-you-heard-this-189618

I thought it was standard in all sites that are moderated, when you sign on, it's once only. I swear on my eyes, I've never been here before.

I'll take a gander :)

Edit: I read the first one. I am a bit shook up. I may be wrong, but was the point of that post to race bait? Because the criminals could have been any color, it still is a horrible crime. My reaction wouldn't be any different had the races been reversed. That article doesn't have anything to do with the PC world as I see it. Why it didn't make headlines I don't know. Possibly it was a week that other news was bigger? Like if this happened around 9/11/01 or Katrina. The other one, I see Imus in the title. I don't think I can deal with him tonight. I've never liked him. He has no class, I'm not 100% that he is a bigot though. If his fate was death on that and I was on the jury, I couldn't get behind that.

Thanks for the banter, I will come back to discuss the links. I am really affected by that ist story. I don't know how I will get it out of my head.

Last edit: The only news that was big I could find around that time was pictures of Saddam Hussein being hung. Maybe thats why it didn't hit the media as one would expect?

My eyes burn! Nighters

unattended
09-11-2007, 02:26 PM
that's what's know as the Law of Probability, folks.

Non-racists would call that a stereotype. People are excessive with what is considered "racist" though. If I see a crowd full of white people and one black person and I want to point him out, I would sure as hell say "the black guy", not "the guy with that gray shirt with the polka dots". In the same way, if I saw a crowd of redheads and one guy with black hair, I'd say "the guy with the black hair". If you're using race as a descriptor because it's a distinguishing characteristic, I don't think it's racist at all...it's just common sense. Now if there were 5 black guys running for governor of Texas (hahaha) and you still described him as black...that might be racist.

P.S. I just moved to Austin last weekend. I can't believe how much it's rained already.

j2k4
09-11-2007, 07:57 PM

I thought it was standard in all sites that are moderated, when you sign on, it's once only. I swear on my eyes, I've never been here before.

Edit: I read the first one. I am a bit shook up. I may be wrong, but was the point of that post to race bait? Because the criminals could have been any color, it still is a horrible crime. My reaction wouldn't be any different had the races been reversed. That article doesn't have anything to do with the PC world as I see it. Why it didn't make headlines I don't know. Possibly it was a week that other news was bigger? Like if this happened around 9/11/01 or Katrina. The other one, I see Imus in the title. I don't think I can deal with him tonight. I've never liked him. He has no class, I'm not 100% that he is a bigot though. If his fate was death on that and I was on the jury, I couldn't get behind that.

Thanks for the banter, I will come back to discuss the links. I am really affected by that ist story. I don't know how I will get it out of my head.

Last edit: The only news that was big I could find around that time was pictures of Saddam Hussein being hung. Maybe thats why it didn't hit the media as one would expect?

My eyes burn! Nighters

As author of the thread in the first link, I assure you my intent was not to play the race card; rather, it was to point up the media's mysterious sublimination of such stories in light of their effect on the ongoing "hate crimes" debate.

Our media have (as well) the tendency to play up stories about "missing white girls" while overlooking similar stories when black females are involved.

Some, like myself, feel this an odd juxtaposition, whose only use can be in aid of hate crimes legislation, which is quite possibly the most stupid judicial/penal trend of the last hundred years or so.

Race-baiting?

Nah.

Allygemz
09-11-2007, 08:20 PM

My eyes burn! Nighters

As author of the thread in the first link, I assure you my intent was not to play the race card; rather, it was to point up the media's mysterious sublimination of such stories in light of their effect on the ongoing "hate crimes" debate.

Our media have (as well) the tendency to play up stories about "missing white girls" while overlooking similar stories when black females are involved.

Some, like myself, feel this an odd juxtaposition, whose only use can be in aid of hate crimes legislation, which is quite possibly the most stupid judicial/penal trend of the last hundred years or so.

Race-baiting?

Nah.

No, I didn't mean you. I thought you were pointing out race baiting from the media. My apologies for not being clear.

MaxOverlord
09-11-2007, 09:25 PM

My eyes burn! Nighters

Race-baiting?

Nah.

Oh but it's so easy to feel sad for beautiful(insert blonde here) white girls.

I'd probably have to take a nap to recover if I actually saw anyone other than a pretty white girl on a missing person story.

It is complete bullshit.

j2k4
09-11-2007, 09:47 PM

Race-baiting?

Nah.

No, I didn't mean you. I thought you were pointing out race baiting from the media. My apologies for not being clear.

Not a problem.

Welcome to the jungle, BTW. :)

I'd probably have to take a nap to recover if I actually saw anyone other than a pretty white girl on a missing person story.

It is complete bullshit.

I expect you would need a nap due to overwork.

How about a missing redhead?

More sublimination, no doubt...;)

unattended
09-11-2007, 10:19 PM

It is complete bullshit.

Well why would you want rescue a fatty or an uggo?

On second thought.....why would somebody kidnap a fatty or uggo? Maybe that's why you only see attractives girls in the papers...kidnappers are too smart to kidnap fatties and uggos.

MaxOverlord
09-11-2007, 10:23 PM

Not a problem.

It is complete bullshit.

Ah yes the redhead....I feel a sudden chill coming on.

A misdirection of blood flow.

My boss only thinks I work hard.

But by all means Redheads. Great mountains of Redheads!!

j2k4
09-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Not a problem.

It is complete bullshit.

Do you save freckles at all.

I have a few from long ago I'd gladly donate.

MaxOverlord
09-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Not a problem.

Depends on how used they are..hmmm.

MaxOverlord
09-11-2007, 11:36 PM

It is complete bullshit.

Well why would you want rescue a fatty or an uggo?

On second thought.....why would somebody kidnap a fatty or uggo? Maybe that's why you only see attractives girls in the papers...kidnappers are too smart to kidnap fatties and uggos.

I date,uh,uggos exclusively. Makes me feel better looking.

Also women with small hands to make my...um....look bigger.:naughty:

j2k4
09-11-2007, 11:45 PM

Oh, totally unblemished, I assure you.

I discovered them lying unattended on a chair in the food court of Chicago Ridge mall while squiring my wife on a shopping extravaganza.

I secreted them in a pocket before she saw them, afraid she'd think I was accosting another female while she was buying her burrito.

I've been trying to unload them for nigh unto twelve years. :ermm:

MaxOverlord
09-11-2007, 11:54 PM

Oh, totally unblemished, I assure you.

I discovered them lying unattended on a chair in the food court of Chicago Ridge mall while squiring my wife on a shopping extravaganza.

I secreted them in a pocket before she saw them, afraid she'd think I was accosting another female while she was buying her burrito.

I've been trying to unload them for nigh unto twelve years. :ermm:

12 year old Chicago freckles. Most enticing.

I hesitate to say I will take care of your load for you.

However, I shall ask mummsy if I can have a spare corner of the basement to chain this redheaded sorcerer.

Do you accept PayPal?

I'd rather pay than take a donated load.

I seem to have slipped on a banana peel with this one.

Busyman
09-12-2007, 12:20 PM
:blink: WTF?!:blink:

MaxOverlord
09-12-2007, 12:42 PM
:blink: WTF?!:blink:

Pretty much. Just clowning.

trobinson97
09-13-2007, 01:45 AM

Ah, I see you are confused, and I am not surprised. I'll put it this way, I've never heard anyone use the word "coloured (or "colored")" in reference to black people and not be racist. It's one step above that dreaded N-word in my opinion and is... well, forget the rest. I'll tell you this though, most black people would not appreciate you using colored in reference to them or other black people, this black person included.

MaxOverlord
09-13-2007, 02:20 AM

Ah, I see you are confused, and I am not surprised. I'll put it this way, I've never heard anyone use the word "coloured (or "colored")" in reference to black people and not be racist. It's one step above that dreaded N-word in my opinion and is... well, forget the rest. I'll tell you this though, most black people would not appreciate you using colored in reference to them or other black people, this black person included.

Why then do they refer to themselves as people of color?

Allygemz
09-13-2007, 02:41 AM

Older people of both races wouldn't blink at it. Times change. The labels change. Slang changes.

I went from being a honky to a cracker. I never saw it coming!

Deary me! :wacko:

Allygemz
09-13-2007, 02:42 AM

Why then do they refer to themselves as people of color?

They must be the self loathers :happy:

Weren't I going to bed? lol

bigboab
09-13-2007, 07:55 AM

Couloured? I was confused because I thought you were referring to a word I had misspelled.

One member said that he dislikes being called 'African American'. I can understand why, it's because he is an American. What would you like us to say? IC1, IC2 etc?

I have no trouble with anyone calling me a white man so what's the problem? In future I will say the person in front of me was not a 'Honkey'. :)

Busyman
09-13-2007, 03:54 PM

Older people of both races wouldn't blink at it. Times change. The labels change. Slang changes.

I went from being a honky to a cracker. I never saw it coming!

Deary me! :wacko:

Yeah and both are considered derogatory.

Busyman
09-13-2007, 03:57 PM

Couloured? I was confused because I thought you were referring to a word I had misspelled.

One member said that he dislikes being called 'African American'. I can understand why, it's because he is an American. What would you like us to say? IC1, IC2 etc?

I have no trouble with anyone calling me a white man so what's the problem? In future I will say the person in front of me was not a 'Honkey'. :)

I think African American is illogically PC. That's all.

Colo(u)red is considered offensive around here. That must be a 1920's brat thing.

Busyman
09-13-2007, 04:03 PM

Agreed. However, you must realize that boab is old and bratish.

He is not only unAmerican but he also grew up during a long period of overt racism (hell they still have it over in Europe, more than over here).

That or he said it so someone would bite.

bigboab
09-13-2007, 04:33 PM

He is not only unAmerican but he also grew up during a long period of overt racism (hell they still have it over in Europe, more than over here).

During my long life I don't think that I have seen many black people outside of Africa. Some Sudanese and Nigerians I have seen were black.

I suppose the official description of Negroid will have to be used. It is a term that I don't particularly like, but it is the dictionary term. That is if you wish me to stop this 'brattish' behaviour. :)

@Busy. You are safe. My teeth would fall out.:rolleyes:

Ne·groid (nhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/emacr.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifgroidhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/lprime.gif) Anthropology adj. Of or being a major human racial classification traditionally distinguished by physical characteristics such as brown to black pigmentation and often tightly curled hair and including peoples indigenous to sub-Saharan Africa. Not in scientific use. See Usage Note at race (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/race)1.

n. A member of this racial classification. Not in scientific use.

Busyman
09-13-2007, 04:44 PM

During my long life I don't think that I have seen many black people outside of Africa. Some Sudanese and Nigerians I have seen were black.

I suppose the official description of Negroid will have to be used. It is a term that I don't particularly like, but it is the dictionary term. That is if you wish me to stop this 'brattish' behaviour. :)

Ne·groid (nhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/emacr.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifgroidhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/lprime.gif) Anthropology adj. Of or being a major human racial classification traditionally distinguished by physical characteristics such as brown to black pigmentation and often tightly curled hair and including peoples indigenous to sub-Saharan Africa. Not in scientific use. See Usage Note at race (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/race)1.

Mmk, thanks for the info, Causasoid.:mellow:

bigboab
09-13-2007, 05:02 PM

Mmk, thanks for the info, Caucasoid.:mellow:

Casucasoid, not to be confused with cock.:lol:

MaxOverlord
09-14-2007, 12:40 AM
How about we are all addressed as Earthens.

Busyman™
09-14-2007, 02:00 AM
Mmk, thanks for the info, Caucasoid.:mellow:

Casucasoid, not to be confused with cock.:lol:

Misspelllingss. My bad.:frusty:

Busyman™
09-14-2007, 02:30 AM

Uhhhh...no.http://209.85.62.25/3966/36/emo/talk2hand.gif

MaxOverlord
09-14-2007, 10:41 PM

Uhhhh...no.http://209.85.62.25/3966/36/emo/talk2hand.gif

You think we would run into a Men are from Mars,Women are from Venus debate?

Brenya
09-16-2007, 03:37 AM
Look guys, there are very noticeable genetic differences between each race: Causasian, Asian, and African; and all the ethnic groups in between. In other words, they are not biologically equal. That being said, it is reasonable to conclude that some races are better at some things, and worse at others.

That is not to say that, because of a race's genetic inferiorities or superiorities, they should not be given equal rights.

So I do recognize the genetic differences; however, I'm no racist when it comes to each human's unalienable rights as citizens of a libertarian state.

Allygemz
09-16-2007, 03:40 AM
Look guys, there are very noticeable genetic differences between each race: Causasian, Asian, and African; and all the ethnic groups in between. In other words, they are not biologically equal. That being said, it is reasonable to conclude that some races are better at some things, and worse at others.

That is not to say that because of a races genetic inferiorities (which were, might I add, brought about by their environment/nutrition/cultures), they should not be given equal rights.

So I do recognize the genetic differences; however, I'm no racist when it comes to each human's unalienable rights as citizens of a libertarian state.

Could you give us some examples of these inferiorities?

I can think of one.... Glow in the dark white people have a greater chance of getting skin cancer than, say, someone from Greece or Italy.

Is that where you were going?

MaxOverlord
09-16-2007, 11:15 AM

That is not to say that, because of a race's genetic inferiorities or superiorities, they should not be given equal rights.

That was a joke. Read the previous posts.

j2k4
09-16-2007, 12:50 PM

That was a joke. Read the previous posts.

A joke?

In The Drawing Room?

Fie on you, sir, for sullying our snobbery.

Why, it's just not allowed, and well you know it. :whistling

Snee
09-16-2007, 11:35 PM
The genetic diversity between different africans (without including boer) is sometimes bigger than that between asians and caucasians. In fact, it's entirely possible that inside of the "black" african population, you could find individuals more different from each other than one of them might be from the average caucasian, on a genetic level.

It's in general not safe to say that any "race" would be better than any other at anything, going by genetics alone.*

The only thing you can be absolutely sure of there, if we are to make blanket statements, is that people with different skin tones differ in how the sun affects their skin, as someone else already mentioned.

Even if it was possible to say that you could distinguish between different "races" inside of the human (homo sapiens sapiens) race once upon a time, or even today, on a genetic level, that'd soon enough be a thing of the past what with population drift and mutations.

EDit: *Unless you were referring to us versus neanderthals, which I mentioned before, in which case we are decidedly better at blowing stuff up.

Brenya
09-17-2007, 01:33 AM
@Snee:
I'm not a geneticist; I can't respond. For the record I was only speculating with minimal knowledge about genetic mutation. You're welcome to do some research on the topic. I don't have time :pinch:

Snee
09-17-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm not one either, but what I wrote above was something of what I remember from biology class in sixth form, and the teacher I had there later got headhunted, like, by my uni, so I reckon he had a clue.

Have a look at the wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race#Scientific_concepts_of_.22race.22) if you are interested. It brings up some of what I remember, there's an ongoing debate on how to define race in human beings.

Personally I'm a follower of defining all of us as the last human race, obviously.