PDA

View Full Version : Console

BawA
09-08-2007, 05:13 PM
are they worth buying even thought you have pretty good pc, what i dont like in pc gaming is continues resources upgrade need. no matter how much i upgrade in a 4 or so months they get out dated and new games with more thirst come out.
now look at my history:
i had 32mb card and i couldnt play cs on more then 800X* , i upgraded to 64mb and couldnt play RedAlert 2 without lagging, upgraded ram and CS 1.4 came out and still got lagged in game. i went on and on and now i got my self an nVidia 7600Gs 512Mb DDR and 2Gb ram and Core2 Duo 2.66 and P5B high end Mobo, it cost me pretty good deal of money and for 1st time i was so happy to play battleField at MAXIMUM setting and resolution without lagging so did all of the games at that time till DIRT came out and suddenly i Felt screwed and started to think what to upgrade, i held my self since it was only few months passed by since i upgraded to mentioned specification, now MOHA came and today i went on playing with MAX setting and MAX resolution but guess what it was too much for my machine i degraded the setting step by step till 1024X768 and finally got to play but still with some lagging, i know you may say why i have to play on freaking high setting well i dont like the idea of paying so high price and still play with low setting.

so i was thinking is it worth buying a console to save myself the trouble?
are game are as good looking as pc?
which is best one around these days? which are best for 1st person shooter not graphic wise but game play.
i see game regularly uploaded in trackers are they easy to be played unlike old times when one had to go through lots of problems to burn one.

mr. nails
09-08-2007, 06:01 PM
i feel ur pain. money does not grow on trees. well, @ least not in my woods, but i will always love console games, but pc games just have that special something. i prefer my fps' on pc and how in the hell can i play WoW on console? pc grafx will ALWAYS be better than console. sure, pc may lag for a bit, but like u've stated... upgrades take care of that. ur rig seems to be decent side the fact of ur crippled grafx card. u can get a great dx10 card for under 3 bills, but that's 3 bills. u've got to get urself to the point where u just upgrade everything all @ once. u'll feel better 'bout it (the new pc build) and u mite even save money that way. i've had my pc for 3 years. lol, it's a dead "gaming" rig as we speak. sure, i can play the new games out now, but i have to turn EVERYTHING down to enjoy. imma build a new pc here shortly and it will last me another 2-3 years. once u get in that 2-3 year building mode it won't seem like such a hassle to play games on ur pc. on the same note the way u do this is pretty much buy the top of the line hardware @ the time of the new build. may cost more, but it'll last u longer. :) that's just how i work the pc gaming world. gl & hf.

Busyman™
09-08-2007, 09:18 PM
i feel ur pain. money does not grow on trees. well, @ least not in my woods, but i will always love console games, but pc games just have that special something. i prefer my fps' on pc and how in the hell can i play WoW on console? pc grafx will ALWAYS be better than console. sure, pc may lag for a bit, but like u've stated... upgrades take care of that. ur rig seems to be decent side the fact of ur crippled grafx card. u can get a great dx10 card for under 3 bills, but that's 3 bills. u've got to get urself to the point where u just upgrade everything all @ once. u'll feel better 'bout it (the new pc build) and u mite even save money that way. i've had my pc for 3 years. lol, it's a dead "gaming" rig as we speak. sure, i can play the new games out now, but i have to turn EVERYTHING down to enjoy. imma build a new pc here shortly and it will last me another 2-3 years. once u get in that 2-3 year building mode it won't seem like such a hassle to play games on ur pc. on the same note the way u do this is pretty much buy the top of the line hardware @ the time of the new build. may cost more, but it'll last u longer. :) that's just how i work the pc gaming world. gl & hf.

The PC is not always better than consoles.

Consoles have recently caught up to PCs with only a slight edge going to PC due to the very newest and expensive DX10 cards.

PCs have to be upgraded with graphics cards and sometimes you must buy an entirely new PC to match consoles.

Also I've noticed another trend being started that might catch on....

Unreal Tourney III on the PS3 will be able to run mods made on the PC.:O Mods have been the one edge that PCs had over consoles.

That might be changing.

I personally would like PCs to crush consoles but there is no streamlining for gaming and game selection sucks ass compared to consoles.

Also with M$ in the console business, you can forget PC being the top choice for games.

I wanna be able to pick up a wireless controller, start a game, and play it on big screen.

Consoles provide the easiest way to do this.

mr. nails
09-08-2007, 10:15 PM
off subject @ busy:

that's pretty much how i will be building my next pc. around unreal tourney 3 (pc). once UrT3 cums out 4 pc in nov i'll make my move. from what i've seen pc games are aiming toward the UrT3 engine... so, why not make that the standard in the next pc build. ;) imo.

back on subject:

for that's what i mean... since dx10 cards have cum out pc's have taken the lead once again. seeing how xbox2 had some sort of ati downgraded dx10 thing happening 4 it it was superior. idk 'bout the ps3. also, with pc u can adjust the grafx better with the vast settings found in the game and outside of the game using the vid crd drivers. ie: aa & af. do consoles have this? i'm not sure, but i don't think so. not an argument just opinions and what's left of the knowledge i have on today's consoles.

BawA
09-09-2007, 01:23 PM
hey nobody explained about uploaded games on tracker, are they just Burn-N-play or console has to moded?
some of those game are 6Gb which cant be burnt to normal DVD's are they meant to be copied directly to console HDD since these days they come with one.

mr. nails
09-09-2007, 04:07 PM
hey nobody explained about uploaded games on tracker, are they just Burn-N-play or console has to moded?
some of those game are 6Gb which cant be burnt to normal DVD's are they meant to be copied directly to console HDD since these days they come with one.

DL-DVD or mount. done & done.

BawA
09-09-2007, 04:12 PM
so it can mounted on console it self, good
is that permitted to do on xbox or there is a walkaround ?
how about media, can i copy some divx video's into HDD and play it on my TV? in that way i can use it to watch my movies on TV relaxed instead of being breakup by my pc

Busyman™
09-09-2007, 04:28 PM
off subject @ busy:

that's pretty much how i will be building my next pc. around unreal tourney 3 (pc). once UrT3 cums out 4 pc in nov i'll make my move. from what i've seen pc games are aiming toward the UrT3 engine... so, why not make that the standard in the next pc build. ;) imo.

back on subject:

for that's what i mean... since dx10 cards have cum out pc's have taken the lead once again. seeing how xbox2 had some sort of ati downgraded dx10 thing happening 4 it it was superior. idk 'bout the ps3. also, with pc u can adjust the grafx better with the vast settings found in the game and outside of the game using the vid crd drivers. ie: aa & af. do consoles have this? i'm not sure, but i don't think so. not an argument just opinions and what's left of the knowledge i have on today's consoles.

That's my point.

Since the new DX10 cards came out, the PC has just a slight edge and that's if you spend the moolah on the gfx card which is about the cost of a 360 Elite.

Consoles don't require adjusting for graphics. There is a standard that is adhered to by a developer when a game is made for a particular console.

Usually better PC graphics are seen mainly because of 1) only the latest graphics card in a PC good enough to take advantage of it and 2) the comparision between a console on a SDTV and a PC on a usually smaller computer monitor has the PC winning out.

I'd rather play Gears Of War on a 65" HDTV than a 32" computer monitor though. The experience is just better. I will be getting GOW on PC just for the 5 extra levels though. The only knock on the game was that it ended to soon.

The console has to be modded.

For instance with my modded Xbox I can just FTP the files straight in the hard drive or rip from a store bought game.

WhiteWizard20
09-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Any of your friends have Xbox/Xbox 360 or PS2/PS3s? Try to play a little bit on all of them to get a feel for the console games. I personally use the PS2 to play sports/action games and it does very well for me. Also if you want, you could buy a video projector to project your stuff on a bigger screen display.

BawA
09-13-2007, 04:48 PM
from past few days ive been reading articles and theories about console and pc's and i came to conclusion that:

pc's are far superior to Consoles both graphic and game library wise(its has far more game then any console, which proves Busyman wrong), ive seen more game floating around for pc then console on all online shops, from several screen shots comparison i can see the in game graphic details on consoles are some-what to way-behind PC.
from cracking wise pc is one Exe file away while hacking an Xbox360 needs massive effort, risk and resources.
PC is more preferred for online gaming.
PC is more preferred for FPS.
Role Playing game are mostly played on PC.
the only advantage console got is lag-free gaming due to it being specialized for gaming.

anyway on Saturday am going to one of old local shop to see a xbox 360 and try it.

Bucktoof
09-13-2007, 05:12 PM
PS has lots of very good RPGs that don't come to PC, most of the FF series, Suikoden, and a bunch of Japanese games that are not PC friendly.

I used to be a computer gamer, but I couldn't keep upgrading because of costs and when I upgraded, my old games would usually not run anymore. I turned to consoles because I prefer playing with friends when they come over and when I go to their places. I online game once in a while, but you really can't game in person on a PC with friends unless you set up a LAN - but how many people could go through the trouble for that?

You can't beat 4-6 people in the same room around the same TV going nuts about the final super smash battle or timesplitters match or nhl game :D

Plus, I like playing games on my 42 inch tv as opposed to one of my friend's 21 inch monitor. I have friends with a 46, 42, 52, 60, and 61 inch tvs, so much nicer

BawA
09-13-2007, 05:18 PM
again both side have their own advantages and features but what concern me is a 50-200$ per game, as i said hacking consoles to play game backups are very hard and take too much effort, if there was a easier way i couldn't care less, 500$ is a reasonable risk.

Busyman™
09-14-2007, 01:34 AM
from past few days ive been reading articles and theories about console and pc's and i came to conclusion that:

pc's are far superior to Consoles both graphic and game library wise(its has far more game then any console, which proves Busyman wrong),

Wrong. I never said PCs have a smaller game library. Also PCs are not wayy ahead of consoles in graphics.

ive seen more game floating around for pc then console on all online shops,

Agreed. Anyone can make a PC game. This says nothing of it's quality (not saying consoles have mostly quality games either).

from several screen shots comparison i can see the in game graphic details on consoles are some-what to way-behind PC.

Again. PC does not demolish consoles in graphics. I'm sure Gears Of War will look better on the PC. However, it will not be wayyy better.

from cracking wise pc is one Exe file away while hacking an Xbox360 needs massive effort, risk and resources.

Agreed

PC is more preferred for online gaming.

Agreed depending on what you wanna play.

PC is more preferred for FPS.

Agreed because of mouse control. However, I hear the PS3 has mouse control now.

Role Playing game are mostly played on PC.

Agreed. There are more of them on PC (plus WOW).

the only advantage console got is lag-free gaming due to it being specialized for gaming.

Wrong.

Console has an advantage in multiple areas.

1. Easier to integrate into any TV setup.

I'm going on a business trip next week and I think I'll bring my 360 with me to play in the hotel room. I would need an ultra powerful laptop to play games competently on this trip or lug a tower that has a TV out to hook to the hotel TV.

It's also hard as fuck to find a decent PC setup to put in my entertainment system with a 65" HDTV. I don't wanna play games on a 32" monitor.

This is one of the main reasons PCs suck for gaming. I WANT to play games on PC but it's a bitch to play them in the same sweet setup that I already play consoles on.

2. The games start with no tweaking.

PC gamers will consider this a con. However, consider that a console gamer doesn't worry about install problems and crashes and I don't have to adjust for my graphics card.

3. Game selection.

I'm not talking number of games. I'm talking about what the games are.

For the reasons above, folks don't flock to the PC for games. Therefore most of the great games don't come out for PC. You get some good ones but it depends on the genre. If you are into RPGs then the PC is great. It'll also get some great console games at the end of their console cycle (GTA III, Halo, etc).

Even on the horizon, the PC is not that great for killer app type games.

Project Offset and Crysis are the main ones I can think of.

A PC-only gamer will miss most of the great games that come out in the market or in some cases play them 6 months or more later.

Cheese
09-14-2007, 02:55 AM
I'd upgrade my graphics card if I was you Bawa, especially as you seem to be an FPS player and the PC is king in this genre. But really, learn to accept that you can't always play games with all settings to max. Something like Oblivion with all graphics settings maxed out, HDR on and AA forced on caused my then top of the range graphics card to stutter (games are scaleable above current technology . . .) when it first came out.

Bioshock would lag if I were to force AA too high on my current set-up but it worries me not one bit that I'm missing out on a slight increase in graphical quality because of this.

If you're a graphics whore then the consoles are going to look a bit sketchy next year anyhow against the DX10 cards with the release of games like Crysis, Hellgate and Alan Wake. The flipside is you can't play games in the genre of God of War, Zelda or pretty much any decent fighting games (Tekken, Smackdown Vs Raw) on the PC.

If you figure a way of getting your console of choice modded safely then it becomes a much more attractive proposition. Otherwise you're going to have about 3 games for your PS3/360 and a shite PC . . .

BawA
09-14-2007, 03:44 AM
upgrade my card then upgrade some more, man thats a killer specially when you wait for a newly graphic card to drop in price and then buy it only to see after a month or so new requirements surface's up.
i was in console gaming since 1990's i was a huge fan of arcade fighting at beginning of my gaming, games like King of Fighters and street fighter, i totally miss them but as i said they are like 20% or more of console price if you go for original. i still got like 200 backup cd's of PS and around 100 of DC, i used to get beaten to hell by my old man because i used to play them 24/7, he even throw my consoles few times so hard but poor things never broke :lol:
so cheese what you prefer, PS3 or Xbox 360? they say xbox360 is cheaper because you must buy most of what PS3 offer separately things like rechargeable batteries.

Busyman™
09-14-2007, 04:28 AM
You are also forgetting that after upgrading your card, you will eventually have to upgrade your PC to be able to use the latest card.

It sounds kinda fucked up but at least the PC (as long as you put out the money) can always stay a tad bit ahead of consoles.

If not for DX10, the gap would have been nullified.

upgrade my card then upgrade some more, man thats a killer specially when you wait for a newly graphic card to drop in price and then buy it only to see after a month or so new requirements surface's up.
i was in console gaming since 1990's i was a huge fan of arcade fighting at beginning of my gaming, games like King of Fighters and street fighter, i totally miss them but as i said they are like 20% or more of console price if you go for original. i still got like 200 backup cd's of PS and around 100 of DC, i used to get beaten to hell by my old man because i used to play them 24/7, he even throw my consoles few times so hard but poor things never broke :lol:
so cheese what you prefer, PS3 or Xbox 360? they say xbox360 is cheaper because you must buy most of what PS3 offer separately things like rechargeable batteries.

You've got that last part backwards.

I'd upgrade my graphics card if I was you Bawa, especially as you seem to be an FPS player and the PC is king in this genre. But really, learn to accept that you can't always play games with all settings to max. Something like Oblivion with all graphics settings maxed out, HDR on and AA forced on caused my then top of the range graphics card to stutter (games are scaleable above current technology . . .) when it first came out.

Bioshock would lag if I were to force AA too high on my current set-up but it worries me not one bit that I'm missing out on a slight increase in graphical quality because of this.

If you're a graphics whore then the consoles are going to look a bit sketchy next year anyhow against the DX10 cards with the release of games like Crysis, Hellgate and Alan Wake. The flipside is you can't play games in the genre of God of War, Zelda or pretty much any decent fighting games (Tekken, Smackdown Vs Raw) on the PC.

If you figure a way of getting your console of choice modded safely then it becomes a much more attractive proposition. Otherwise you're going to have about 3 games for your PS3/360 and a shite PC . . .

Good post.

I disagree with your last sentence though....well maybe the PS3.:sneaky:

A lot of games I thought that I would buy right away, I am never going to buy unless there is a price drop. Heavenly Sword and Lair sound like busts to me. I thought Heavenly Sword would be like God Of War but it doesn't seem to be better than the PS2 game.

Cheese
09-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Heavenly Sword demo review I like: http://allgamesradio.ning.com/video/video/show?id=502933:Video:37379

Busyman
09-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Heavenly Sword demo review I like: http://allgamesradio.ning.com/video/video/show?id=502933:Video:37379

:lol:Thanks for that.

Yeah the combat in HS doesn't seem satisfying like GOW.

Great graphics though.:ermm:

Cheese
09-14-2007, 01:02 PM
Funnily enough I played God of War for the first time last night (had to rent it as pirating it is problematic due to it being a DVD9). Such a good, brutal game.

Pulling the wings off of harpies > *

Busyman™
09-14-2007, 11:21 PM
Funnily enough I played God of War for the first time last night (had to rent it as pirating it is problematic due to it being a DVD9). Such a good, brutal game.

Pulling the wings off of harpies > *

It's odd that that game is kind of a button masher yet I never got tired of the combat.:blink:

I normally hate games like that which is why I'm not going to front $60 for Heavenly Sword.

I now have Resistance: Fall Of Man. Now that's a great game that's worth the money.

So that's a whole 1 game I have for the PS3.

I was so right in selling all the PS3s I got at launch.:ermm:

fook3d
09-15-2007, 12:02 AM
I now have Resistance: Fall Of Man. Now that's a great game that's worth the money.

Currently, I think thats the best game thats out. I had that since launch and now have numerous others, Which i dont remember because i played them once and laid them to rest at the bottom of a drawer.

Right now, For games, Xbox has a good advantage, But as PS normally has some of the best i think PS will take the lead with games when some good titles come out. Grand theft... should be a good game, I just wish they made a new final fantasy to add to the collection that had as much "life" in it as FF7 but with new graphics and a new sweet storyline. Except FF7, The others in the series were too short and boring for me.

@ the OP:

I prefer consoles because a 50" beats a 28" any day. Add to that the fact that consoles dont lag lag a mofo when there is 40 players in the game shooting and talking like maniacs and consoles will always have the edge for me, Regardless of if the graphics are slightly better.

Another great thing about the PS3 is that it has a blu ray drive build in, So when/if blu-ray become the most used media, You will be prepared. With current blu ray players around the same price as a PS3 anyway, Your basically getting the gaming side of it for free and paying for the blu ray player. :)

Just wish there was already mods out so i didnt have to pay the prices i do for games :D

Bucktoof
09-15-2007, 02:54 AM
My friend bought Heavenly Sword and brought it to my house to play. I thought it was awesome, but I have the tv for it too, which makes a huge difference. I have 5 games myself, 3 bought on ebay. I'm sure you all know the great deals you can get there; give it time and each game for whatever system drops considerably online. I bought Rainbow 6 Las Vegas which still sells for 69.99, though you can get it for 59.99 (canadian dollars), for 80us combined shipping with Oblivion - now that's a huge savings. I also bought Planet Earth on bluray for 40US online, bought Happy Feet for 12US.

I bought DiRT and Ghost Recon 2 at the store, but during special promotions so the price was relatively good.
I think it's entirely worth it. I'm not a rich guy but I think I'm pretty good with money since I don't blow it on boozing or going out all the time like lots of friends. You need to remember too though that a lot of people are still students here, so money is tight :) I'm a student too but have a good job.

Oh, and to the people talking about modding, my friend on ps3 release day got a 20gb ps3. The following day, he had it modded and fitted with a 500gb hd. He's not the most knowledgeable when it comes to that stuff, he just has a lot of friends who know how to do that stuff. I considered it but I'm just not willing to risk breaking my ps3, since they had a close call with his.

Busyman™
09-15-2007, 10:00 AM
My friend bought Heavenly Sword and brought it to my house to play. I thought it was awesome, but I have the tv for it too, which makes a huge difference. I have 5 games myself, 3 bought on ebay. I'm sure you all know the great deals you can get there; give it time and each game for whatever system drops considerably online. I bought Rainbow 6 Las Vegas which still sells for 69.99, though you can get it for 59.99 (canadian dollars), for 80us combined shipping with Oblivion - now that's a huge savings. I also bought Planet Earth on bluray for 40US online, bought Happy Feet for 12US.

I bought DiRT and Ghost Recon 2 at the store, but during special promotions so the price was relatively good.
I think it's entirely worth it. I'm not a rich guy but I think I'm pretty good with money since I don't blow it on boozing or going out all the time like lots of friends. You need to remember too though that a lot of people are still students here, so money is tight :) I'm a student too but have a good job.

Oh, and to the people talking about modding, my friend on ps3 release day got a 20gb ps3. The following day, he had it modded and fitted with a 500gb hd. He's not the most knowledgeable when it comes to that stuff, he just has a lot of friends who know how to do that stuff. I considered it but I'm just not willing to risk breaking my ps3, since they had a close call with his.

Dude you don't have to mod the PS3 to put in another hard drive.:ermm:

You just pop the old one and put the new one in.

It takes a slightly common laptop drive. I plan on getting a 200-250 GB drive (probably from newegg) for about $70.

Currently, I think thats the best game thats out. I had that since launch and now have numerous others, Which i dont remember because i played them once and laid them to rest at the bottom of a drawer.

Right now, For games, Xbox has a good advantage, But as PS normally has some of the best i think PS will take the lead with games when some good titles come out. Grand theft... should be a good game, I just wish they made a new final fantasy to add to the collection that had as much "life" in it as FF7 but with new graphics and a new sweet storyline. Except FF7, The others in the series were too short and boring for me.

@ the OP:

I prefer consoles because a 50" beats a 28" any day. Add to that the fact that consoles dont lag lag a mofo when there is 40 players in the game shooting and talking like maniacs and consoles will always have the edge for me, Regardless of if the graphics are slightly better.

Another great thing about the PS3 is that it has a blu ray drive build in, So when/if blu-ray become the most used media, You will be prepared. With current blu ray players around the same price as a PS3 anyway, Your basically getting the gaming side of it for free and paying for the blu ray player. :)

Just wish there was already mods out so i didnt have to pay the prices i do for games :D

I plan on getting GTA IV on the 360. It'll have more content from XBL.

There are some games that I'll definitely get on PS3.

MGS 4
Little Big Planet
Unreal Tourney III (can use mods made for PC)

PS3 might be choice for multiplatform FPSs since you can use a mouse.

http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/03/fragfx_front.jpg

This seems like THE perfect controller that I've been talking about for years.

Analog control for movement, mouse control for looking

I don't like the Wii simply because you can't rest your right arm anywhere. Who wants to hold their arm up all the time light gun stylee to play FPSs?:ermm:

BawA
09-16-2007, 03:09 AM
ok so i went to the game shop and saw an 20gb Xbox360, he said its pre-flashed.
on internet i saw like 4 version of one flasher method, i believe they're for constant flashing, like newer games need new flash, isnt?
and whats the diffrent between elite version and normal one, ist the 120Gb HDD and HDMi or something else.
do i need bigger HDD? i wont be downloading game from live but i probably mount backups if thats possible on the referred machine .

mr. nails
09-16-2007, 06:39 PM
off subject:

went to wal-mart last nite and saw an xbox360 for sale for $350. wow, price sure has came down a lot. thought about getting one for a sec... for a sec.

Seedler
09-17-2007, 07:58 PM
All you have is a mere 7600GS, that's midrange a few months ago at best.

Don't expect to max out games with a x-months old midrange (now prolly low-end) card.

Busyman™
09-21-2007, 07:15 PM
off subject:

went to wal-mart last nite and saw an xbox360 for sale for $350. wow, price sure has came down a lot. thought about getting one for a sec... for a sec.

It's down only $50.:dabs:

mr. nails
09-26-2007, 05:46 AM
off subject:

meh, 50 bones is a lot. 2 me.

Busyman™
09-26-2007, 01:53 PM

meh, 50 bones is a lot. 2 me.

I understand but if they were to do a price drop I would think $50 is the spot.

I don't normally see permanent $5 price drops is all.

Hell I'm not even opening my Halo 3 cuz I think I can get it for $12 less (that and Bioshock).:cheapbastard:

mr. nails
09-26-2007, 05:11 PM
I'm not even opening my Halo 3

u mite wanna open it. A LOT of ppl are getting fucked up scratched discs. mite wanna see if urs is good or not. micro$oft is being put on the spot again in seeing wtf they gonna do 'bout this.

Busyman™
09-26-2007, 07:12 PM
I'm not even opening my Halo 3

u mite wanna open it. A LOT of ppl are getting fucked up scratched discs. mite wanna see if urs is good or not. micro$oft is being put on the spot again in seeing wtf they gonna do 'bout this.

Nah I just bought

the new PSP
Wii Play
Halo 3
Bioshock
Blacksite Area 51 (po)
Timeshift (po)
Mass Effect (po)
an extra Wii Nunchuk

all 20% off

For some reason the Timeshift preorder was only $30 (drop to $24 after discount).

Looks like I won't be playing Halo 3 any time soon.