PDA

View Full Version : How About A Newbie Section?

DarthInsinuate
07-05-2003, 09:56 AM
i think this will help newbies and ego-freaks a-like

the section will just concentrate questions about the simpler or more common problems/questions, so the new guys won't have to search the whole question section

Illuminati
07-05-2003, 10:10 AM
Nice idea - I know a few other forums like those at Flash-Kit have at least one newbie forum and have been a success. However, the FK forums are about how to use Flash and the tricks you can use - I'm wondering what they would be for here :huh:

And who are you calling an ego freak? :D I just like to exercise my oracle-like knowledge of things in general, that's all :P

2nd gen noob
07-05-2003, 10:12 AM
90+% of "newbie" questions are answered in the faq

and if you made up a sheet of 10 standard answers, you could answer about 80% or so.

the only thing newbies need to do is to actually read the faq, like they are told.

[B][O][T]
07-05-2003, 10:16 AM
And use the http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/style_images/1/atb_search.gif Search.

BOT

tralalala
07-05-2003, 10:57 AM
cool idea, that way, the newbies could like get around and for that section there could be a mod.

swarnel
07-05-2003, 10:59 AM
good idea

people have already mentioned about the faq and search answering all there questions. but although we have that now people still post dumb questions.
at least with the other board we can keep all the crap in one place

MagicNakor
07-05-2003, 12:38 PM
It's called the guestroom. ;)

:ninja:

VB
07-05-2003, 01:32 PM
What's the point of having a newbie room when all newbies post in the wrong section? :rolleyes:

Anyways, the guestroom is the newbie room.

Illuminati
07-05-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Paul@5 July 2003 - 14:32
What's the point of having a newbie room when all newbies post in the wrong section?  :rolleyes:

Anyways, the guestroom is the newbie room.
Guestroom = Newbieroom
so Guests = Newbies

then how do you explain the several registered who still ask the same c**p after registration? :D

Methinks you've been lax on forum-registration Customs ;)

brotherdoobie
07-05-2003, 04:13 PM
then how do you explain the several registered who still ask the same c*** after registration? :D

What does c*** mean ;)

Peace brotherdoobie

VB
07-05-2003, 04:51 PM
http://picserver.student.utwente.nl/getpicture.php?id=187061&.jpg

N£MO
07-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Paul@5 July 2003 - 17:51
http://picserver.student.utwente.nl/getpicture.php?id=187061&.jpg
:lol: :lol: Amen to that.....

kb123
07-05-2003, 06:59 PM
Poor Newbies I don't know why they bother to ask questions. Its not a contagious disease to be a beginner and help is appreciated I'm sure! :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

sundara
07-06-2003, 09:20 PM
What is with the Die Newbie poster? Were you born with innate knowledge? I have a lot of respect for this forum and for everyone who takes the time to help others but the anti-newbie thing can be really off-putting. Yep I am one and I hesitate to ask a question because I don't want to get flamed. I look at the FAQ section and do searches but I don't always find answers to my questions. I posted a question today and hope someone can help without making me feel like an idiot cause I can't figure it out myself.
I understand the frustration mods must feel with reading, to them, the same stupid questions over and over but that's life, unless you put a lot of restrictions onto this site. People are always going to ask 'dumb' questions and post in the 'wrong' area, they're human. I think the newbie forum is a good idea.

Illuminati
07-06-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by sundara@6 July 2003 - 22:20
What is with the Die Newbie poster? Were you born with innate knowledge? I have a lot of respect for this forum and for everyone who takes the time to help others but the anti-newbie thing can be really off-putting. Yep I am one and I hesitate to ask a question because I don't want to get flamed. I look at the FAQ section and do searches but I don't always find answers to my questions. I posted a question today and hope someone can help without making me feel like an idiot cause I can't figure it out myself.
I understand the frustration mods must feel with reading, to them, the same stupid questions over and over but that's life, unless you put a lot of restrictions onto this site. People are always going to ask 'dumb' questions and post in the 'wrong' area, they're human. I think the newbie forum is a good idea.
Recommended steps to getting a question answered
1) Check the FAQ at the K-Lite site (others like moderator jetje should have the link in their sigs)
2) If it's not K-Lite specific, make sure that you've checked Google as well
3) Re-read the FAQ in full, to make sure that your question isn't answered.
4) Use the Search facility in the forum to see if it's been asked before
5) When you've exhausted the past four steps - and only when - feel free to ask the questions.

If you&#39;ve done all that, then feel free to ask away - You&#39;ll find that once a member - newbie or not - has seriously tried to find the answer himself with no avail, then he&#39;ll be treated fairly and warmly; mainly because then, he&#39;d have found something which has never been asked before and is something new for others to help with. Any who carry on with the abuse after this point usually hasn&#39;t tried to find it himself but is using a response designed for all problems. Two words - Ignore them <_<

The anti-newbie atmosphere here isn&#39;t without reason - There are a few people who strive to answer genuine questions & help new people solve genuine problems. But when you see that people asking the same questions (when searching through the archives lets them find the answer in the first place), asking questions which have already been answered in the K-Lite FAQ, certain newbies talking with the semi-"l33t"/immature writing (e.g All caps, mobile-text writing - This isn&#39;t a text messaging forum you know <_<), saying the same damn articles about the RIAA et al when it&#39;s been done within the last 2 hours, and generally saying the same stuff as often as at least once every 6 hours (yes, it goes that far) - How TF can you expect long-term members to keep their cool?

10% of all new people (not "newbies") ask genuine questions and we answer them as best as we can - They become respected members in the forum.
90% ask the same crap without bothering to find it themselves (i.e. wanting the answer served to them on a plate) - They become part of the newbie pile.

It&#39;s true that the forum has an anti-newbie feel to it, but that&#39;s only because of the overpowering percentages above. Don&#39;t feel that genuine first-time questions won&#39;t be answered maturely, because if they&#39;re all withdrawn by those 10% which keep us answerers sane, this place becomes a newbie firing range.

Then again, that isn&#39;t a bad idea... :devil:

Illuminati
07-06-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by sundara@6 July 2003 - 22:20
Were you born with innate knowledge?
You&#39;re saying that to the guy who effectively develops K-Lite for you to use in the first place. :lol:

Sorry - Just have to bring that up ;)

Where&#39;s that &#39;owned&#39; image with the tank? :D

iamtheoneandonlyone
07-06-2003, 09:55 PM
Isn&#39;t that why we have a General Category section for newbies?

sundara
07-07-2003, 12:41 AM
Illuminati: thanks for the patient reply to my post, guess that poster triggered something (so to speak). I do spend time trying to search out an answer, I&#39;d rather find it myself than ask but, too, I don&#39;t want to spend a week googling.
Got 2 very helpful responses to my question today.
Whoever did develop K-lite is a god, no doubt about that.

man@war
07-07-2003, 01:06 AM
every body was newbie one day&#33;
i&#39;m always trying to be helpfull.
make a newbie section on the top so that newbies see it first

kAb
07-07-2003, 03:15 AM
and we can all spam it with "Read the faq" :w00t:

DarkBlizzard
07-07-2003, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by sundara@6 July 2003 - 19:41
Illuminati: thanks for the patient reply to my post, guess that poster triggered something (so to speak). I do spend time trying to search out an answer, I&#39;d rather find it myself than ask but, too, I don&#39;t want to spend a week googling.
Got 2 very helpful responses to my question today.
Whoever did develop K-lite is a god, no doubt about that.
the guy that made K-lite first is named Yuri and he lives in Russia but he wont talk to any of the newspapers even though they ask him alot. But i dont think that is the version that k-lite.tk has. Yuri made the one that was on Kazaalite.com A scottish guy used to own Kazaalite.com until something happened to it and he uploaded Yuri&#39;s kazaa lite to his site for people to download. I used to have that version of kazaa lite but then i got the K-lite.tk version of it.

Ad
07-07-2003, 08:11 AM
LMFA a newbie section?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DarthInsinuate
07-07-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by man@war@7 July 2003 - 02:06
actually this is what i had in mind when i came up with this idea

when i wandered into the Shareaza forum, for help on Shareaza (which has a very un-helful FAQ) i went straight to the &#39;New Users&#39; section, it answered a few question straight away, and i could ask questions without the fear of being called a "damn n00b" and asked politely to "read the f***in&#39; FAQ"

N£MO
07-07-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by DarthInsinuate+7 July 2003 - 09:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DarthInsinuate @ 7 July 2003 - 09:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-man@war@7 July 2003 - 02:06
actually this is what i had in mind when i came up with this idea

when i wandered into the Shareaza forum, for help on Shareaza (which has a very un-helful FAQ) i went straight to the &#39;New Users&#39; section, it answered a few question straight away, and i could ask questions without the fear of being called a "damn n00b" and asked politely to "read the f***in&#39; FAQ" [/b][/quote]
They have a newbie section at fasttrackcentral too.

I think it is a good idea,this has been bought up in past topics.

TIBZ
07-07-2003, 09:09 AM
ok umm no1 wud go into the newbie room cept newbies lol

[B][O][T]
07-07-2003, 09:23 AM
Even if there&#39;s a newbie forum, the same questions will be asked in the "main" forums....in the end We don&#39;t know where to look for help or get help.
I dunno....

BOT