PDA

View Full Version : Keep login details safe

Chewie
09-10-2007, 05:51 PM
We've all seen the recent user database hacks/leaks and quite a few members have complained that they've lost access to trackers, email accounts and their FST account because they used the same password and kept login information emails on their web-based email system.

I suggest a simple yet effective method of keeping login details safe... use POP access with a local email client just for your tracker login details.

POP (Post Office Protocol) allows an email client to download all emails to your computer, deleting the messages from the server.

A few recommended email clients:

TheBat! (it's what I use)
Pegasus Mail
Eudora
Outlook
Outlook Express
Thunderbird
PocoMailYou can either set up a POP email account with your ISP, or set up a gmail account and change its settings to allow POP access. Then configure your email client to access the account - setup details will be found on ISP's and Gmail's Help pages.
Once this is done, go to each tracker you have an account on and change the registered email address (if allowed) to your new one.
Then you can reset the passwords; some trackers allow you to generate a random password from your profile but almost all have a password recovery page that generates one once you click the link in the confirmation email.
If you can't change the registered email on a tracker (hello UK-T), simply change/reset the password and forward the email with the new password on to the new address.

Setting things up this way will prevent anyone who happens to get into your email account from getting access to all your tracker accounts.

FunTrading
09-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks! :)

AugustoP
09-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Isn't it just writing down all passwords into the text file?

CreativeOne
09-10-2007, 06:48 PM
thanks!

asafb
09-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Isn't it just writing down all passwords into the text file?
exactly what i did :)
more easier and less complicted :)

forra6
09-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Good Idea!

copypaste
09-10-2007, 07:18 PM
I have learn that in the "hard way"... :pinch:

blackbird
09-10-2007, 09:06 PM
i keep my every password safe in OrgPassword ..

OrgPassword provides a convenient system for storing different
kinds of personal information. Using a set of templates, you can
create a competently organized catalogues for your passwords,
emails, news, software, notes, private calendar, Outlook accounts
and newsgroups. Access to all data is provided through a well
encrypted master password

:D

muyoso
09-10-2007, 09:27 PM
I chose 1 word out of the dictionary and used all of its synonyms as passwords with one special character shared between them all. This way, if somehow I lost my long list of passwords, I only have about 30 passwords to try. Also, having long cool words as passwords rules.

KSA
09-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Thanks Chewie, great information.

RainRoofer
09-10-2007, 09:58 PM
And OFC, use Strong passwords! I use this widget for Opera since it's out http://widgets.opera.com/widget/4548.Also use diff pass for every tracker, forum site you're at, and to memorize all those passwords take some book or create some file at PC and protect it with password you can remember that's not connected to your username or anything in RL.

AugustoP
09-10-2007, 10:45 PM
I chose 1 word out of the dictionary and used all of its synonyms as passwords with one special character shared between them all. This way, if somehow I lost my long list of passwords, I only have about 30 passwords to try. Also, having long cool words as passwords rules.

It's actually not. Dictionary attack on a hash (like one leaked from SCN) will take a couple of minutes.

extinguisher
09-10-2007, 11:09 PM
one of the best password managers I've come across:
http://keepass.info/

best thing is it creates passwords for your accounts that are practically unbreakable like: xTbhy1IhDE9ZfNm5kCEH

just make sure you use a strong password for the program itself. mix up with combinations of familiar telephone numbers, and random letters. that's an easy way to come up with a 15-20 character pass.

zizo85
09-10-2007, 11:56 PM
thnx a lot :cool:

raj3186
09-11-2007, 01:07 AM
I prefer writing down all the passwords on a piece of paper!! Ain't that less complicated?!i used to have same passwords on all trackers, but when i heard the passwords at Bit-HDTV were leaked, i immediately changed my pass at 70 sites including my email acc and tracker list!!
Anyway, thanks!!!

muyoso
09-11-2007, 02:16 AM

It's actually not. Dictionary attack on a hash (like one leaked from SCN) will take a couple of minutes.

Nope, a dictionary attack wouldn't work. If you read my post again you will see why. So I was correct in my contention that having long words as passwords "rules".