PDA

View Full Version : Best Wipe Program?

Wolfmight
07-05-2003, 09:08 PM
What's the best program for wipeing hd's? My friend wants to wipe his 15-30 times befor he sells it. (hehe paranoid yes.., but a good idea)

ghost944
07-05-2003, 09:12 PM
killdisc is supposed to be good i havent had hands on experiance with it and i think that it wipes your hd i have heard it mentioned a few times in hardwareworld.

[B][O][T]
07-05-2003, 09:18 PM
15-30 times :blink: wouldnt it be easier to just keep the harddrive?

BOT

MetroStars
07-05-2003, 09:46 PM
yeah keep it or take a hammer 2 it

RobGee
07-05-2003, 09:49 PM
If you really want to clean up the HD ... just run WIN ME on it for a week ... trust me ... it will work!!!

Or you could just try ... MetroStars last post ... IT'S HAMMER TIME!!!

roflmPRao ... just kidding ... but ME is just like having a wiped HD though!!

Wolfmight
07-05-2003, 10:03 PM
what about a program that will wipe it and format it with different file systems?

Fat, Fat16, Fat32, NTFS, Linux Ext 2/3, etc.

ghost944
07-05-2003, 10:07 PM
would that work,
If you had an NTFS Partition Then Formated Over it With FAT And then NTFS on top or would there still be some stuff on the partition?

sparsely
07-05-2003, 11:13 PM
Use Eraser. It's a secure multi-pass disk-wiping utility.
It will create a "Nuke" boot disk and walk you through it. It's simple to use, and you can
configure the number of passes, etc.
Get it Here (http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/download.shtml)

Originally posted by ghost944
If you had an NTFS Partition Then Formated Over it With FAT And then NTFS on top or would there still be some stuff on the partition?

Yes. It depends who you're trying to keep it from, but data can be retrieved until it's been overwritten
up to about 12 times or so.

Xilo
07-06-2003, 12:11 AM
Get a really big magnet..... :lol:

brotherdoobie
07-06-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by [B][O][T]@5 July 2003 - 16:18
15-30 times :blink: wouldnt it be easier to just keep the harddrive?

BOT
[email protected] littel much even for the paranoid.

I use Window Washer by Webroot.
You can use a feature they call adding bleach to the wash.
This overwrites the file twice before deleting it(default settings)
it will allow u to go as high as 10 x's.

The NSA standard is only 7 x's.

Peace brotherdoobie B)

evilbagpuss
07-06-2003, 12:43 AM
Dariks boot and nuke disk is probably the best. It comes with eraser as Sparsely mentioned but you can also get it seperately from sourceforge.

Concurrent wiping of >1 drive is a pretty cool feature too.

The filesystem is irrelevant to this tool so it doesnt matter whether you run nix, win9x or NT/2k/XP etc.

I have tested it with Encase afterwards and it does the job. Hardware recovery might be a different story though.

Dont go anywhere near Evidence Eliminator. Those guys should get done under the trade descriptions act because if I can recover files after its done its 'work' anyone with the right software can.

They also spam like crazy and the reasoning behind their bullshit claims of defeating hardware recovery is that "no one can prove it doesnt work" which is utter bollocks cos I and many other people have proved it doesnt work and I'm not even a trained professional or anything.. arrgh I hate those guys.

Sorry rant over :)

evilbagpuss
07-06-2003, 12:46 AM
The NSA standard is only 7 x's.

Thats what they want you and foreign Gvts to think :)

Check out Gutmanns paper on this subject, he recommends a 35 pass wipe combining pseudorandom and fixed pattern wipes to defeat MFM (hardware recovery). That was back in 1995 so think of what they are capable of now :unsure: