PDA

View Full Version : FTN Gets Rid of Ratios.

Nickthestick91
09-13-2007, 09:51 PM
HELP! WHERE DID MY RATIO GO!?!?!?1?

As we don't sell ratios, we see no use for it and removed it from the site. This means every torrent is a freebie: total download amount is not important anymore.

And because you are all seeding individual torrents according to the rules (1:1 or 36 hours) anyway, let's leech some! :D:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

sperm
09-13-2007, 09:55 PM
free leech :w00t:

digitalism
09-13-2007, 09:57 PM
about time - ratio never meant anything at ftn anyways. hopefully people start leeching!

Tokeman
09-13-2007, 09:57 PM
yet another thing for me to look forward to when I get invited
:D

Alkameno
09-13-2007, 09:59 PM
wow...way to go FTN.

lapc
09-13-2007, 09:59 PM
its nice move from great tracker

Nickthestick91
09-13-2007, 10:00 PM
you've included the url on you post :(

free leech :w00t:Thanks for the heads up. Removed. :)

Fibo
09-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Very Cool I like it.

FTN Leading the way.

Time to Leech

jam0980tr
09-13-2007, 10:01 PM
ftn wub u :) >>3

DohMein
09-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Oh boy here come the million I NEED FTN threads lol......... Nice job FTN :01:

fstrulz
09-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Freeleech 4ever? FTN ftw! :D

Make sure to seed 1:1 OR for 36 hours.

:rolleyes:

freedom
i love ftn.

jam0980tr
Oh boy here come the million I NEED FTN threads lol......... Nice job FTN :01:

yeh give it one week lmao

ftn is running the scene with there new rules

RainRoofer
09-13-2007, 10:09 PM
I wouldn't be happy so much about this cuz FTN has huge problem about leechers.Hope only good would come out of this.GL & HF
And ofc clean up some HDD space :p

Alien5
09-13-2007, 10:13 PM
i knew (asked for) this 4 days ago,nobody listened to me

Brandon
09-13-2007, 10:17 PM
I wouldn't be happy so much about this cuz FTN has huge problem about leechers.Hope only good would come out of this.GL & HF
And ofc clean up some HDD space :p

On the contrary. For a site with the amount of users we have our leecher amount is well above being a huge problem. Most sites now days are going pay to leech which we never will.. So we figured having a ratio would be pointless. I as well as others still strongly believe this should be free, so that's how it shall be.

taba
09-13-2007, 10:19 PM
i dont c anything changed much .....u still have to seed 1:1 or 36h that was the old rules
now this just like FSC i think good luck 4 that move to get the site even better

jam0980tr
09-13-2007, 10:19 PM
BEST NEWS OF THE DAY MADE MY DAY :lol:

SgtMajor
09-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Way to go, excellent news indeed, well done & thanks.

taba
09-13-2007, 10:20 PM
On the contrary. For a site with the amount of users we have our leecher amount is well above being a huge problem. Most sites now days are going pay to leech which we never will.. So we figured having a ratio would be pointless. I as well as others still strongly believe this should be free, so that's how it shall be.

very glad to hear that i respect that in u

KFlint
09-13-2007, 10:23 PM
so nice to hear :)

enviouz
09-13-2007, 10:26 PM
leading the way thats for sure :)

zizo85
09-13-2007, 10:26 PM
FTN begin it
hope all trackers do it:P

whiteboy
09-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Damn If people were begging for Ftn before. Holy shit

JA
09-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Wooohoooooo Ftn<3

seanbee
09-13-2007, 10:56 PM
This is excellent news and a trend setting idea.

Hats off to the FTN team, this really makes sense - I am off to leech

_coder_
09-13-2007, 11:06 PM
so wait let me get this straight does this mean FTN will have freeleech FOREVER....i no im a bit slow

seanbee
09-13-2007, 11:08 PM
so wait let me get this straight does this mean FTN will have freeleech FOREVER....i no im a bit slow
Yes or better yet let me say until there is a need to change the policy but the rules still apply 1:1 or 36 hours

Kyl3KK
09-13-2007, 11:08 PM
Wow. Nice for FTN'rs :)

Salvia
09-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Great news :)

Vik1ng
09-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Cool. Hopefully for them it doesn't cause their old torrents to die off faster.

Hazardous
09-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Yea I went to my profile first (since thats where my Bookmark goes) and was like, WTF happened to my ratio and download figures. LOL

Beenieman
09-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Great news indeed :D

tyler78
09-13-2007, 11:34 PM
great news but dont forget.we still have to seed 36 hours or 1:1.dont hit and run.they can end this if we wont seed and h&r.

RainRoofer
09-13-2007, 11:36 PM
It could affect speed dramaticly, since ppl will no longer seed for their ubber leet buffers!!1omgz
this is temporary just to clear thigs up ?

iam1337
09-13-2007, 11:37 PM
This is permanent for now...and they should just make more user classes (more than a TB) to keep people inspired.

blackbird
09-13-2007, 11:43 PM
wow ... awezome ...

We figured since most site now have resorted to pay to leech activities... Why even have a ratio at all?

Free is the only way it should be.

:yup::yup::yup::inlove:

Brandon
09-13-2007, 11:43 PM
It could affect speed dramaticly, since ppl will no longer seed for their ubber leet buffers!!1omgz

The answer to that is posted on ftn.

KSA
09-13-2007, 11:45 PM
i know this is probably the wrong place to ask but can someone please send me an ftn invite? i have very nice stats at tl, bitme and oink just PM me and i'll give you the link to my profile on those 3 trackers :)

Just 4get it mate, i already get sick chasing one, but no1 cares!

BTW, great news FTN'ers ... Keep it up :)

Hope other trackers will do the same.

blackbird
09-13-2007, 11:47 PM
http://www.tigertoons.org/2000/00_pictures/excited.jpg

:D

Grind$oFine
09-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Maaaaan,
and I had just given up on wanting FTN because I decided it would be difficult for me to keep my ratio up with my crappy ISP.

sexydingo
09-13-2007, 11:51 PM
Very cool, hope it starts a trend. Guess I'll have work harder at finding an FTN invite now!

TCD004
09-14-2007, 12:03 AM
i know this is probably the wrong place to ask but can someone please send me an ftn invite? i have very nice stats at tl, bitme and oink just PM me and i'll give you the link to my profile on those 3 trackers :)This is really the wrong place to ask for invites... Have you read this >>> DO NOT Request or Offer Invites in this section *OR YOU WILL BE BANNED* (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-do-not-request-offer-invites-section-or-you-banned-146184) <<<

The revolution started in torrent world ? :) Great news indeed :) I will start to download everything what i want and will seed them as long as i can ;) Thank you for this great info ;)

Daniel
09-14-2007, 12:10 AM
If FTN can pull this change off, then all power to them.

durex
09-14-2007, 12:34 AM
words failed me ...
:clap:

Alkameno
09-14-2007, 12:51 AM
yeah...FTN is the ultimate power.

marksman
09-14-2007, 12:57 AM
i just hope they dont make it a 72 hrs again

kelly338825
09-14-2007, 01:07 AM
Wow,great news. Im so glad I just recently got my invite there.

DTD8
09-14-2007, 02:00 AM
wow if only i was a member lol!

Durkslag
09-14-2007, 02:08 AM
Sounds very interesting! Hope it'll work perfect :)
But if there's no ratio system, upload speed isn't important at all (if you can seed for 36hrs which almost everyone can) and seedboxes etc won't be needed. Hope there are enough people who will seed with boxes, home connection, longer than 36hrs etc.

nihility
09-14-2007, 02:14 AM
But if there's no ratio system, upload speed isn't important at all (if you can seed for 36hrs which almost everyone can) and seedboxes etc won't be needed. Hope there are enough people who will seed with boxes, home connection, longer than 36hrs etc.

theres still user classes to aim for at least
personally i think its a good idea and its how it should be
<3 ftn

Grind$oFine
09-14-2007, 02:14 AM

I'd assume FTN has a very dedicated userbase, I don't think you'd expect people slacking off too much, especially after how long it took for most to get invited. That's how I'd look at it in the situation.

beat
09-14-2007, 02:26 AM
Let the leeching begin :D
The whole ratio was pointless since you had to upload till 1:1 or for 36 hours so this won't really affect the speeds, also it is a small community of people who do care about the site so people won't surely slack off.

GoLDeN
09-14-2007, 02:44 AM
i just recived the pm that fantastic

thats just one more thing proves that FTN is the best and iam glad to be a part of the bes

Skiz
09-14-2007, 02:57 AM
Are Corey and myself the only sensible ones here?

Ratios are a GOOD thing.

All those old torrents, great packs, etc. that FTN is known for are going to disappear. With no need to seed and no ratio to keep up, why would users keep old torrents alive by seeding them for long periods? Simple, they won't.

KFlint
09-14-2007, 03:02 AM
yeah right, then they really should add some new user classes after 1 TB uploaded like said before

It could certainly keep the interest for seeding alive

I suggest 5 TB upload = FTN God ;)

mestari
09-14-2007, 03:13 AM
:w00t::w00t: That's wonderful. I really hope that this solves the problem with leechers amount...!

Skiz
09-14-2007, 03:17 AM

Where?

Daniel
09-14-2007, 03:18 AM
KFlint, maybe userclasses are something of more importance on rare(r) trackers but I've never given much thought about them. Very seldom they come with additional privileges or functions and if that's not the case I could care less if I'm called a mere power user or a God.

Skizo, your argument makes sense but I'm sure that FTN's staff will have thought of that. Keeping a number of valuable torrents alive might just take some additional commitment from a smaller group of users to make it work. This change can certainly be positive for new torrents for they're more likely to be snatched now that a ratio isn't something to be feared anymore.

LorD.MeXiCaN
09-14-2007, 03:18 AM
yeah is a good idea. maybe ftn will be level 11:D

V For Vendetta
09-14-2007, 03:40 AM
in My opinion its not a good step

Brandon
09-14-2007, 03:46 AM

Ratios are a GOOD thing.

All those old torrents, great packs, etc. that FTN is known for are going to disappear. With no need to seed and no ratio to keep up, why would users keep old torrents alive by seeding them for long periods? Simple, they won't.

Must not be very sensible if you still don't understand :P YOU cannot see your ratio. I can. Staff can. Users who aren't using the site, or who are totally abusing it, etc.. Will be removed. Removing the ratio simply removes the fear and gives the atmosphere a more calming sensation. For example, say Bob has a .4 ratio.. We don't expect everyone to have an amazing ratio. But bob is obviously going to be fearful of losing his account and stop using the site. Just because you have no ratio does not mean that you can abuse the site. Upload amounts are still visible and plenty of incentive to seed as well as user classes. This has just been announced what.. a few hours ago? I can assure you, there will be benefits of being a good overall user. It's just like a new product coming out, for example the new ipods. There are always a few bugs in the beginning that people are too impatient to wait out for and bitch about before the product can be fully rolled out.

Let me clarify that one more time. Ratio's hurt a site with a small amount of users because of the low leecher counts as well as overseeders. Ratio on a small site is extremely hard to maintain causing the site to cripple.

Torrents are not meant to be archives. FTN IS A 0DAY SITE. Read that carefully. We're not trying to destroy the torrent competition by being an all in one solution because any sane person would know that isn't possible nor logical. Our goal is to get things up and out as fast as possible and make it as easy and pain free for users to get their goodies. If you want retention, get newsgroups/usenet. Simple as that. If you're itching to grab the new Gilmore Girls episode that just came out (Chalisto) a few seconds ago and want to be able to get it without crying about your ratio, then omg FTN is perfect for you :O

Where?

There is a thread in the general forum regarding this change. Read my posts and 90% of your questions should be answered.

fibonachi
09-14-2007, 04:07 AM
well done FTN...greatly appreciated.

Skiz
09-14-2007, 04:15 AM
Must not be very sensible if you still don't understand :P YOU cannot see your ratio. I can. Staff can. Users who aren't using the site, or who are totally abusing it, etc.. Will be removed. Removing the ratio simply removes the fear and gives the atmosphere a more calming sensation. For example, say Bob has a .4 ratio.. We don't expect everyone to have an amazing ratio. But bob is obviously going to be fearful of losing his account and stop using the site. Just because you have no ratio does not mean that you can abuse the site. Upload amounts are still visible and plenty of incentive to seed as well as user classes.

Nothing to do with being sensible. The total amount downloaded does matter, and ratios are still present, they simply cannot be viewed by the user or the public. Got it.

Presenting that information as, "we don't sell ratios, we see no use for it and removed it from the site. This means every torrent is a freebie: total download amount is not important anymore." is inaccurate. In fact, it's downright false.

As for longer retention and utilizing Usenet, thanks, I do. 90% of everything I download is via Usenet/Giganews. Take a looksy at my FTN account and you'll notice only about 5GB of data has ever been downloaded. I only use torrents when I want something I can't find via newsgroups.

Usenet, FTW! :01:

Brandon
09-14-2007, 04:21 AM
Must not be very sensible if you still don't understand :P YOU cannot see your ratio. I can. Staff can. Users who aren't using the site, or who are totally abusing it, etc.. Will be removed. Removing the ratio simply removes the fear and gives the atmosphere a more calming sensation. For example, say Bob has a .4 ratio.. We don't expect everyone to have an amazing ratio. But bob is obviously going to be fearful of losing his account and stop using the site. Just because you have no ratio does not mean that you can abuse the site. Upload amounts are still visible and plenty of incentive to seed as well as user classes.

Nothing to do with being sensible. The total amount downloaded does matter, and ratios are still present, they simply cannot be viewed by the user or the public. Got it.

Presenting that information as, "we don't sell ratios, we see no use for it and removed it from the site. This means every torrent is a freebie: total download amount is not important anymore." is inaccurate. In fact, it's downright false.

As for longer retention and utilizing Usenet, thanks, I do. 90% of everything I download is via Usenet/Giganews. Take a looksy at my FTN account and you'll notice only about 5GB of data has ever been downloaded. I only use torrents when I want something I can't find via newsgroups.

How is it false? Look for yourself.. We did remove the ratio. I'm a coder, I can see every chunk of data you send to the tracker so of course I could see your ratio if I really wanted to.. You're totally missing the big picture and main point of all of this. You have no experience with my job so I can't expect you to understand how everything works. Although, looking at my post and looking at your reply.. I don't understand how you didn't fill in the blanks. :ermm:

Skiz
09-14-2007, 04:44 AM
Well then why not actually explain it?

You make it sound as if you have merely un-ticked a box and disabled users' ability to see their ratios for the sake of "a more calming sensation." That's a fair assumption given the statement, "YOU cannot see your ratio. I can. Staff can."

I can't fill in the blanks when you're being obtuse.

FTN is a large community, which in and of itself creates difficulties in the administration of something like ratios, and yet, thanks to your efforts, enjoys good reputation and is regarded favorably by most (if not all) who participate.

Keeping it that way is important. A better explanation is all that's needed.

On reflection, a statement such as "This means every torrent is a freebie: total download amount is not important anymore." is just dangerous without a proper explanation. That simple posting could go largely misinterpreted, but at the same time, some method might be employed to fertilize the idea of "community" a little more firmly in those who frequent the site.

rvt
09-14-2007, 04:48 AM
Usenet FTW!

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1797/irony3pf5.jpg

:lol:

We have never been even the slightest bit strict about ratios on revolt, but we still allow users to see them. What we have always expected is that people make an effort to seed back. Plenty of our power users have a 0.1 or less ratio.

Dropping any importance given to ratios and placing more importance on seed times are not mutually exclusive.
If you drop the importance of ratios and don't look at things such as seed times, you may as well issue $15/mo subscriptions and run your site as a "leech only" service such as usenet.

"total download amount is not important anymore" is not misleading. How much you download is no longer important, as long as you don't hit and run. It's just as possible to hit and run on a 10MB file as it is on a 5GB file.

fstrulz
09-14-2007, 05:08 AM
I bet Skizo is drunk. :drunk:

Skiz
09-14-2007, 05:16 AM
As opposed to.... :unsure:

r77
09-14-2007, 05:20 AM

i bet Skizo is right

sear
09-14-2007, 05:32 AM

i bet Skizo is right

:lips: are your lips sore?

bblogs
09-14-2007, 05:33 AM
Well, if I could be certain that it was a permanent (or at least long term) change to FTN, then I'd be much more comfortable. But, what if it goes bad :( and they change back the ratios and we find that we've got a ratio of .01 :O :'(

mbucari1
09-14-2007, 06:02 AM
Well, if I could be certain that it was a permanent (or at least long term) change to FTN, then I'd be much more comfortable. But, what if it goes bad :( and they change back the ratios and we find that we've got a ratio of .01 :O :'(
Congratulations, you've just created another scare that will AGAIN prevent users from leeching.

Burcht
09-14-2007, 06:41 AM
you just gotta love FTN ;)

sense
09-14-2007, 07:06 AM

Ok .01 is a bit exaggerated but it really doesn't matter. If you follow the 1:1/36 hour rule, even if you end up with let's say a .3, .4, .5 ratio it will still be ok. You're not going to get banned. As for myself, I like this change.

TheDude
09-14-2007, 09:52 AM
I must say that I dont think it will be working... but you must admire the FTN staff of being innovative!

PirateEagle
09-14-2007, 09:56 AM
very good move FTN and this is a great news for FTN users :D

fstemon
09-14-2007, 10:07 AM

More like level 4... I see I'm in minority here. No ratio = bad. I sure hope the trackers I frequently use don't do something like this because I would stop using them.

I must say that I dont think it will be working... but you must admire the FTN staff of being innovative!

How is this innovative? The first torrent trackers didn't have ratios. The Pirate Bay is also free leech.

sert
09-14-2007, 10:12 AM
it is innovative because it is the first private tracker without ratio

what has thepiratebay do with it? LOL

fstemon
09-14-2007, 10:14 AM

If they're innovative, then so is The Pirate Bay and all the first trackers. No ratio used. Ratio was added because people never seeded back what they took. Adding ratio is innovative, removing ratio is not.

enviouz
09-14-2007, 10:16 AM
More like level 4... I see I'm in minority here. No ratio = bad. I sure hope the trackers I frequently use don't do something like this because I would stop using them.

How is this innovative? The first torrent trackers didn't have ratios. The Pirate Bay is also free leech.

the thing you dont get is that ftn is tight knit enough for it to work. it would be a disastor on lesser sites that have a problem already with hit & runners users refusing to seed ect. ftn is a VERY close community.

Night0wl
09-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Great news, and on FTN it will work, since FTN is a great site and people will still want to be good users.

It's pretty simple, if people misuse it i.e. limit their upload speed and remove every torrent as fast as possible, they may just feel the consequences and be left without an account.

rvt
09-14-2007, 11:49 AM

Not really. Like I said earlier, revolt never pays attention to users ratio. We actually got rid of the display of ratio altogether for about 3-4 months until members were asking what their ratio was on a frequent basis.

Tiffany
09-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Do you have to seed 36hrs. straight or can it be 2hrs. in the morning, 2hrs. in the afternoon, 1hr at night... etc.?

09-14-2007, 12:03 PM

Shut up trader

lol :P

sopshr33a
09-14-2007, 12:03 PM
as long as you seed for the full 36 hours ,you are obeying the rules, the seeding does not have to be done all at once.

SidVicious
09-14-2007, 12:33 PM
If I could download all my stuff from the one tracker without ruining a ratio i'd be more than happy to seed back all I could, think it's great idea. In a tight community it can work, as long as the uploaders are okay with it too.

ilya
09-14-2007, 12:44 PM
it is indeed quite original, i can't see it work at trackers with a large amount of users like torrentleech for example... and keeping the seeding rules is what they need to keep it organized...

good luck to all users of ftn ;)

Melvinmeow
09-14-2007, 12:52 PM

the thing you dont get is that ftn is tight knit enough for it to work. it would be a disastor on lesser sites that have a problem already with hit & runners users refusing to seed ect. ftn is a VERY close community.

Not slamming FTN or the concept of the idea...
But TBH... Im more of the confused type like skizo...
(Sorry to say this yes... im somewhat agreeing with skizo for once hehehe)
The idea behind it seems to have swapped meanings/interpretations quite a few times along the way.
For example... people are all like YEAH FREE LEECH WE CAN HIT AND RUN... then next page over you hear people talking about the community being real tight and hip and everyone wants to seed... obviously everyone does not want to seed if they were just gloating about freeleech. In the long run its not free leech even though you think it is. Cause freeleech is not 1:1 or 36 hrs. I think the only things that will come of this system is it will encourage people not to use cheat clients, will encourage people to just grab files at will and set their clients to 2k outgoing for 36hrs. Will be less speed for users cause everyone will more than likely just be throttling their speeds. (Just my opinion)
Those users with ubber speeds who rent seedboxes and stuff to maintain ratios will no longer need to do so... so there will be less speed just there..

Then the topic of Downloads / Uploads / Ratios were removed from the site... you contradict your statement there... you said staff can still see them... obviously if they are visible to ANYONE then they are still being tracked. And if they are still being tracked then their is still intentions of enforcing the low ratio/hitrun rules. If those fields can still be seen then they really werent deleted as they have been said they were. Obviously if the rule of 1:1 still applies they are still keeping track of ratios...

A better way to word it IMOP would be... "Ratios are pointless and thus we have them hidden." <<< Which would probably clearup more questions.

All the power to you brandon for attempting to try something new out... hope it works out well for you guys..
But I really dont see the logic behind it.
(Other than getting people to download more files.)
If you were merely looking for more people to jump on the files I would have set them for free for the first 4 - 6 hrs of their life and then have them marked with normal ratio rules. This would encourage people to grab them off you guys before anywhere else and then continue to encourage people to seed at the same time.

game1283
09-14-2007, 01:23 PM
we will see what will happen :)

optimus_prime
09-14-2007, 01:31 PM
yeah, great experiment, cheers to brandon :) with such closed community it was this or open signups i suppose :)
if i recall correctly torrent protocol father always bitched about private sites and their ratio rule. i was interested to see if anything will pop up that will keep people seeding torrents for months now that ratio incentive is gone, but obviously that's not ftn's goal. anyway, cool move :yup:

Vidde
09-14-2007, 03:14 PM
I loved this news the first second I saw them.
FINALLY someone have the guts to actually do this, I've waited so long.

This is truly revolutionary, and I salute the FTN staff for being so brave, trusting their members and the community enough to do this.

Let's just hope ppl actually do seed, and not cap their upload cause of this, I still want the site to be as fast as it can <3

Salute! :wub:
-Vidde <3

jounior
09-14-2007, 03:18 PM
its very great move from FTN

i hope all sites remove the ratio limit

Presto
09-14-2007, 03:24 PM
It's all the same, besides the fact, that you won't see your ratio anymore. What's so good about it? Anyone cares to explain?

Brandon
09-14-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm not going to go into detail because I don't want to ruin the surprise.. But I've said it elsewhere so I might as well hint it here also. WE ARE NOT FINISHED IMPLEMENTING THE ENTIRE SYSTEM.

Those of you worried about seed boxes, or seeders... Trust me, I have that covered. There will be benefits of seeding as well as leeching, so both worlds will mesh quite well when we're finished.

We have a userbase maximum of 6k users. If you do not like our new system and wish to not be a part of it, please feel free to pm me on site and I will be more than happy to open another slot for someone who wishes to take advantage of what's going to come out of all of this. Once we hit 6k users, that's it. There will be no raising the limit. I can assure you, there will be plenty more users who wish to appreciate what we offer.

And FYI, it's only been a day and things are already going in a much better direction than they were. You guys need to be more optimistic about things and not criticize something just because it's new and or different.

The next phase of this project will unravel something else that has not been done on a torrent site before and will only make this system even more exciting.

beat
09-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Let the man do his job and finish what he has started and in the long run we'll see the results and then we can comment. Also if things don't turn out to be as expected (which I seriously doubt) new actions can be taken. There's no reason to be afraid to do something new and different. I really admire the staff's courage. :wub:

fstrulz
09-14-2007, 03:53 PM
...In the long run its not free leech even though you think it is. Cause freeleech is not 1:1 or 36 hrs...
Exactly, Freeleech is not Freeseed - that's why you have to seed back whatever you download (in FTN, 1:1 or 36 hours).

And FYI, it's only been a day and things are already going in a much better direction than they were. You guys need to be more optimistic about things and not criticize something just because it's new and or different.

The next phase of this project will unravel something else that has not been done on a torrent site before and will only make this system even more exciting.
I've never seen many leechers and seeders in so many torrents in FTN until yesterday... And you should've expected a lot of criticism coming. :D Just can't wait for the surprise. I hope it'd be like a monthly lottery for a free iPhone. :lol:

Alien5
09-14-2007, 03:55 PM
I'm not going to go into detail because I don't want to ruin the surprise.. But I've said it elsewhere so I might as well hint it here also. WE ARE NOT FINISHED IMPLEMENTING THE ENTIRE SYSTEM.

Those of you worried about seed boxes, or seeders... Trust me, I have that covered. There will be benefits of seeding as well as leeching, so both worlds will mesh quite well when we're finished.

We have a userbase maximum of 6k users. If you do not like our new system and wish to not be a part of it, please feel free to pm me on site and I will be more than happy to open another slot for someone who wishes to take advantage of what's going to come out of all of this. Once we hit 6k users, that's it. There will be no raising the limit. I can assure you, there will be plenty more users who wish to appreciate what we offer.

i hope it's nothing bad :fear:

beat
09-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Just a thought for the skeptics this is intended to bring more activity to the site, therefore instead of the speeds dropping as some stated, because there's not a need to maintain a good ratio, the speeds might actually increase simply because there are more leechers who have to obey the rules. Also there are probably going to be implemented new scripts to trace those who are capping their connection and are abusing of this new system.

Brandon
09-14-2007, 04:03 PM
No comment on the above statement.. *clears throat*

Anyways, the next phase will be something pretty damn cool IMO. But I'm a technical person so I find all that stuff neat, but it'll be very useful and very efficient and personally if I was in a user position I think it would be a sweet little perk to have for only having to seed back what I took :P

solaris
09-14-2007, 04:05 PM
is this same as the ftn free leech acc

Brandon
09-14-2007, 04:07 PM

No. However that account will be able to take advantage of this more than the others will.

edit: er not sure if that was aimed at my previous post or at the topic in general..

sert
09-14-2007, 04:13 PM

If they're innovative, then so is The Pirate Bay and all the first trackers. No ratio used. Ratio was added because people never seeded back what they took. Adding ratio is innovative, removing ratio is not.

:rolleyes: Removing ratio and keeping download speed fast and torrents well seeded is something new, innovative, never happened before :rolleyes:

solaris
09-14-2007, 04:19 PM

No. However that account will be able to take advantage of this more than the others will.

edit: er not sure if that was aimed at my previous post or at the topic in general..

just asked becoz of thread u made about free leech acc :D

beat
09-14-2007, 04:26 PM
What thread is that? :huh:

fstrulz
09-14-2007, 04:32 PM
What thread is that? :huh:
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-invites-90/t-ftn-leech-account-226327

ADELA
09-14-2007, 05:06 PM
No comment on the above statement.. *clears throat*

Anyways, the next phase will be something pretty damn cool IMO. But I'm a technical person so I find all that stuff neat, but it'll be very useful and very efficient and personally if I was in a user position I think it would be a sweet little perk to have for only having to seed back what I took :P

invites for seeding?

dbmp
09-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Great move by FTN staff, way to go! :) Not a member there, but hope that this way they can mantain (or even improve) the quality of the tracker! Go ahead and leech (but also SEED as much as possible!), lucky members! :)

monk3y
09-14-2007, 05:52 PM
lol FTN staff are TEH BEST EVEHHHHH

beat
09-14-2007, 05:55 PM
invites for seeding?

Brandon already said that once the userbase hits 6k there will be no more slots, and right now a lot of members have invites so there's really no need to hand out invites.

th0r
09-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Wow, maybe I'll start using my FTN account now. Thanks Brandon!

fridash
09-14-2007, 06:18 PM
FTN leading the way

cant wait to get there....

SkullForce
09-14-2007, 06:28 PM
WOW, it is real.
Wonderful, long life FTN>
Will this state last forever or for few month or year?
THANX

I can see that that the leeching state is improved and the seeding state is greatly improved and both state will be unbelievable in about 2 days.

zac
09-14-2007, 07:30 PM
good thing who needs ratios but you still have to 1:1 or 36h

direstraits
09-14-2007, 07:47 PM

:rolleyes: Removing ratio and keeping download speed fast and torrents well seeded is something new, innovative, never happened before :rolleyes:

yes it happened before, ask Wild ;)
anyway he won't tell you...

iwaldo
09-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Cool idea, would be great if other sites did it too.

rvt
09-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Not to steal any thunder, but again, it's not new.

posted by a revolt member 114 weeks ago:

Umm... maybe im blind but im not seeing a listing of my current ratio anymore.
Anyone else having this problem or must i be downloading to see it now? :blink:

All it shows is Power User, but i thought at one time there was an actual ratio that was shown, maybe im trippin' hell i dunnoThe response:

We could show ratios but then we get everyone saying how hard it is to seed here or we get those "look at my ratio" type threads. We also get people worrying that they are about to be banned. Don't worry about ratio, just seed fairly and you'll be fine :)It is good to see others relying less on ratio, and I'm curious to see what the next part is, but this part is not new.

game1283
09-14-2007, 09:27 PM
I love it.. love the staff (esp. Brandon ofcourse).. love FTN:wub:

Mareko
09-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Hats off to FTN, definitely leading the way - will be interesting to see how it turns out and what the new phases will be.

waterloo
09-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Even though am not a member, but won't this affect torrent retention cuz there would no necessity to seed beyond 36 hrs and could well result in torrents goin dead within a couple of days.

mbucari1
09-14-2007, 09:44 PM
I must admit I'm very excited over the unfolding events :). I hope there are some cool packs uploaded to commemorate this unprecedented policy :naughty:

_coder_
09-14-2007, 10:29 PM
I have a very good feeling this wont last long, so leech as much as you can

game1283
09-14-2007, 10:56 PM
Even though am not a member, but won't this affect torrent retention cuz there would no necessity to seed beyond 36 hrs and could well result in torrents goin dead within a couple of days.

I think I disagree.. especially in my case, I wanted to seed more.. to share.. and ofcourse to go to the next level..

There is no download, but they are still measuring your upload.. so share and share.. we desire to be FTN power and Heros..

(don't forget the user classes is based on upload amounts)

This message is not for you waterloo, no offense, My Opinion:
**well I think, someone who is thinking that no one would be seeding--is someone who is not seeding.. well.. leechers will be afraid that no one would be seeding, because in their case they do not seed:(

fridash
09-14-2007, 11:02 PM
whay dont they enlarge their userbase a little more

we poor bitches want in ...:cry::cry:

KFlint
09-14-2007, 11:20 PM

still more then 700 spots left, you have plenty of time to get in hehe

mbucari1
09-14-2007, 11:22 PM
and if it ever gets full, you know assholes will continue to be banned.

bblogs
09-15-2007, 02:18 AM
I hope Brandon gets in quick and bans everyone who abuses this system :angry:

RaPPeR
09-15-2007, 03:32 AM
I haven't read this all thread, but from what I understand , its like illusion .
The rules hasn't changed. The ratio isn't really gone, just hidden.
Nothing really happened...

Brandon
09-15-2007, 04:15 AM
I haven't read this all thread, but from what I understand , its like illusion .

If that were true, I would have disabled the 437 users with ratio's below .5 right now.

RaPPeR
09-15-2007, 04:36 AM

If that were true, I would have disabled the 437 users with ratio's below .5 right now.
Oh .
In that case the rules has been changed .
Still , all the hype about the FTN gets rid of ratios is wrong. Because it still there... .
I think this all was for the users of FTN to download more .
If you click on Snatched after 400-500 torrents [ out of ~5000 torrents ] , you dont get more than 100 snatches per torrent . [ And you don't have quick DL button ]
You have more than 5 K users which most of them should be good users , and still most of them do not download from FTN.
Kinda sucks .
So good move from your side to increase the number of seeders/leechers with out hanging out tons of invites [ AKA SCT ] . :)
Hope it'll work.

mbucari1
09-15-2007, 04:38 AM
The whole system is very simple, and proven to work in scenarios other than bittorrent. Instead of punishing bad behavior, reward good behavior.

They will no longer punish users for having a low share ratio, but they give benefits to those who seed.

Reward is many times a better motivator than consequence., and I think it is a refreshing step for the world of private trackers :)

Brandon
09-15-2007, 04:57 AM
Oh .
In that case the rules has been changed .
Still , all the hype about the FTN gets rid of ratios is wrong. Because it still there... .
I think this all was for the users of FTN to download more .
If you click on Snatched after 400-500 torrents [ out of ~5000 torrents ] , you dont get more than 100 snatches per torrent . [ And you don't have quick DL button ]
You have more than 5 K users which most of them should be good users , and still most of them do not download from FTN.
Kinda sucks .
So good move from your side to increase the number of seeders/leechers with out hanging out tons of invites [ AKA SCT ] . :)
Hope it'll work.

So far it's done wonderful :) I agree the hype isn't something I really appreciate.. But I knew it would be hard for us to avoid a topic such as this being made. It will take time for everyone to fully understand the new system and trust me it's taken me months to fully grab on to the idea myself. We still have lots of neat changes coming so keep an open mind ;)

Presto
09-15-2007, 05:01 AM

still more then 700 spots left, you have plenty of time to get in hehe

Someone should fill those 700 spots, it could be easily done. :pinch::naughty:

fazzy07
09-15-2007, 05:42 AM
I think this is incredible considering that the staff and the tracker actually thinks about the well being of the user. there are so many trackers who are just after banning and disabling user's
I hope other trackers bring somthing similar instead of just penalizing people
I have some high level trackers but I am too scared to download anything. Most of the time I just seed there
I dont have FTN and I dont know if I ever will since I dont trade but to the existing users, you guys are lucky as now you can truly enjoy the tracker without worrying too much

fridash
09-15-2007, 11:08 AM
[quote=Presto;2269436][quote=KFlint;2269168]

still more then 700 spots left, you have plenty of time to get in hehe[/quote

the problem is how to ask for one and not be pathetic :(

Tiffany
09-15-2007, 11:25 AM
EDIT: Nevermind... :shutup:

Fibo
09-15-2007, 12:33 PM

Too Late :lol:

No just kidding man, well the trick is (worked for me anyways). Alot of people who do have invites are scared to give them to users which they do not know, or have never interacted with before. What you can do is get a hold of a couple of invites to lower ranked trackers from some of the more active members(The ones that do have axx to the higher ranked sites). Chances are once you can be trusted by these members, most likely they will extend there help to some of the higher ranked sites.
But then again this is coming form a guy who was invited by Brandon himself, so I can be full of shit.

Oh and FTN FTW!
:01:

StevenVD
09-15-2007, 12:38 PM
I gave away my old account because I couldn't receive a good ratio because of my connection and now they do this :( what a shame.. (it wan't a trade and staff know's about it..)

fridash
09-15-2007, 12:39 PM
brandon ?? hook us up :D:D:D

wildbytes
09-15-2007, 01:35 PM

Ratios are a GOOD thing.

HEHE I agree with you both.

Ratios are a good thing. For this to work i would think you need a higher seed time like like 5 days to 1 week. with 36 hours they will i am sure dope over down to around 1000 torrents i bet in 1 months time. its good for smaller sites to do this also long as you have a great member base. But all i see is this could very well end up hurting that site a great deal.

many sites already have something like this. I did this about 4 months ago with 1 user class called Honoured Guests then went good so added it to Super vip class also,. the ratio was setup to ratio of 1.1 on all torrents and or 48 hours seeding, Also stats never counted. But for a hole site to do this well all i can say is good luck with it.

Wild

qweryy
09-15-2007, 04:15 PM

intersting, what ratio have worst one (ratiowise) of that 437 users ?
0.4 or maybe 0.000001 ?

do you consider someone as abuser who seed 48, 72 or maybe 720h, but cant acheive even decent ratio ?
for example due to to bad connection or no leechers or some other reason...

its easy to get in that situation if you mainly download older stuff with no leechers and, voila, in no time you have a nice 0.01 ratio.

would you warn or ban that user ?

ps the whole idea sounds really great, but it looks like users arent proper informed of all aspects of the new system

dbmp
09-15-2007, 04:20 PM

Too Late :lol:

No just kidding man, well the trick is (worked for me anyways). Alot of people who do have invites are scared to give them to users which they do not know, or have never interacted with before. What you can do is get a hold of a couple of invites to lower ranked trackers from some of the more active members(The ones that do have axx to the higher ranked sites). Chances are once you can be trusted by these members, most likely they will extend there help to some of the higher ranked sites.
But then again this is coming form a guy who was invited by Brandon himself, so I can be full of shit.

Oh and FTN FTW!
:01:

Brandon, give me a Torrentleech invite please. :naughty:

Kyl3KK
09-15-2007, 04:26 PM
brandon ?? hook us up :D:D:DNow THAT'S an innovative idea for FTN! :)

RainRoofer
09-15-2007, 08:40 PM
You can't search for a FTN and SCT invite at the same time : ))

Submission
09-15-2007, 09:35 PM
ftn > Scc + Sct

So Sorry

lingo
09-15-2007, 10:23 PM
^ Yeah, you should be sorry after writing like that. :dry:

You're probably get an infraction after these two posts...
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/p-what-invites-worth-with-reviews-and-ratings-post2270685/postcount6723

Submission
09-16-2007, 03:38 AM
^ Yeah, you should be sorry after writing like that. :dry:

You're probably get an infraction after these two posts...
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/p-what-invites-worth-with-reviews-and-ratings-post2270685/postcount6723

Keep your panties on. Oh Noes! he typed in big words.

Look FTN is the best tracker on the net today, not only is it rare but it has NO FUCKING RATIO. I am merely stating my opinion in big red letters. Where I live we have the right to free speech and expression.

Presto
09-16-2007, 03:53 AM
Submission, could you make it simple for me, how does not having ratio (actually there's ratio, it's just disabled for you to see) make one tracker a better place? The rules are all the same, the only thing is, that you won't be able to see your ratio.

I have full respect to ftn nevertheless and I still aim to become a member in the future if possible.

rvt
09-16-2007, 04:31 AM
Where I live we have the right to free speech and expression.

Even the americans wont try to force those rights on a private venue.
Freedom of speech merely applies to government censorship.
Even if it was a freedom of speech issue, it's not a "freedom of shout" issue :P

Whether or not mods want to warn you simply for using big letters is another matter though.

sert
09-16-2007, 06:19 AM
Yeah there are tons of members lately, writing with huge or bold or capital or blue or purple letters usually with different letterhead, in order to get easier noticed. Its up to mods to allow this but I am certainly against it

mbucari1
09-16-2007, 06:37 AM
Yeah there are tons of members lately, writing with huge or bold or capital or blue or purple letters usually with different letterhead, in order to get easier noticed. Its up to mods to allow this but I am certainly against it
yes, It's quite obnoxious. I use bolds occasionally, but only for emphasis on one or two words.

Dr_Green_Thumb
09-16-2007, 08:06 AM
This is not revolutionary or new at all in fact Leechbits was the first ratio free private web site that I knew of and speeds suffered at that site. I am sure FTN is going to work things out a little better than they did hopefully.

Submission
09-16-2007, 08:26 AM
This is not revolutionary or new at all in fact Leechbits was the first ratio free private web site that I knew of and speeds suffered at that site. I am sure FTN is going to work things out a little better than they did hopefully.

imo leechbits does not compare to ftn. A ratio free ftn means a hell of alot more than leechbits.

Btw the seed rule is 1:1 or 36 hours. For me 1:1 on avg for hot torrents is usually about 12 hours sometimes less. For slower folks this is amazing since it dont really matter how much you upload.

no_more_tears
09-16-2007, 08:26 AM
soo anybody with invites :P

dr0w
09-16-2007, 08:28 AM
sounds good. I hope to join one day :D

MoCca
09-16-2007, 09:32 AM
greaat move people shoud start leeching :)

Ntourage
09-16-2007, 12:54 PM
I wish I had invite \:
btw nice feature.

Roark
09-16-2007, 02:00 PM
I hope this works well, but I'll reserve judgement till the full plan has been introduced.

Not to steal any thunder, but again, it's not new.

posted by a revolt member 114 weeks ago:
The response:

We could show ratios but then we get everyone saying how hard it is to seed here or we get those "look at my ratio" type threads. We also get people worrying that they are about to be banned. Don't worry about ratio, just seed fairly and you'll be fine :)It is good to see others relying less on ratio, and I'm curious to see what the next part is, but this part is not new.

Great, now one of these days, are you guys going to decide whether you consider yourselves a tracker or not?

rvt
09-17-2007, 04:01 AM
We are a community that has a tracker.
Hence why we don't penalise anyone for low ratios.

R3c0n
09-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Great news :D Just as long as Brandon brings in some "reward" system for users who are continuosly seeding on torrents (when they dont 'have' to). But Im sure he already has something worked out, so i doubt anyone needs to worry about this change :P

melsharckawy
09-17-2007, 11:51 AM
sounds good. I hope to join one day :D

me to

seanbee
09-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Brandon for president of the world with his fellow staff as his ministers

sperm
09-17-2007, 12:58 PM
Brandon for president of the world with his fellow staff as his ministers

and the red triangle of love for you :P