PDA

View Full Version : Just got a sweet Cell - Moto A1200

Seedler
09-15-2007, 03:41 AM
Just got the motorola MING A1200, http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_a1200-1429.php

Along with a Kingmax 2GB microSD card.

So far I've been happy with it, except since this is the first smart phone that I've owned I'm a complete noob when it comes to "unlocking" my phone.

I connected USB and did some file xfering, that's about it. So first, what does phone "unlocking" do? Also, how do I install games and other applications?

Shiranai_Baka
09-15-2007, 06:42 AM
unlocking lets you use the phone with other carriers. usually phones use java to run games, does your phone have java?

S!X
09-15-2007, 09:12 AM
pretty crazy, how much did that run you?

zapjb
09-15-2007, 10:14 AM
I saw one a yr ago. The guy totally tweaked it. It was like sweet.

WhiteWizard20
09-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Just like what Shiranai_Baka (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../members/shiranai-baka-19240) said. "Unlocking" the phone lets you "use" the phone with other carriers and of course you need Java to play the games. Looks like a very nice one.

Seedler
09-16-2007, 03:21 PM
I decided to go with Fido, with 50mb of internet data per month + voice for $50, with the initial SIM card costing $30, and the signal strength so far has been great. Turns out my phone was already unlocked, apparently everywhere phones are unlocked except for Canada and some places in the States:O

And yes my phone has Java, there's an extreme snowboarding game on it that's Java based, and I see Java games for my phone on the internet but they are Jad or Jar files, which when I try to run on my phone I get a "file type not supported" error. So can someone walk me through on how to install applications + games on my phone? Help would be greatly appreciated.

My dad got it in Hong Kong on business for like 3500 Hong Kong Dollars, which is like $400 something USD.

Only one thing bugs the hell out of me, and that's if you decide to watch movies on this thing, you're looking at a <3 hour battery life:pinch: Luckily I have 3 batteries for it:happy:

Also, I want to buy a bluetooth headset, but all of them are listed as bluetooth ver1.1 or ver1.2, while my phone states it's compatible with v2.0. Would this be a problem?

dbmp
09-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Also, I want to buy a bluetooth headset, but all of them are listed as bluetooth ver1.1 or ver1.2, while my phone states it's compatible with v2.0. Would this be a problem?

I believe not. I believe that your cell phone is ahead of those headsets. :P But they are compatible i think.

Shiranai_Baka
09-16-2007, 05:16 PM
Seedler I gotta tell you, my friend has that phone and watching videos on it isn't that smooth. I believe it was like 15fps so its kinda choppy.

Seedler
09-18-2007, 01:49 AM
k thx, will get a bluetooth v1.2 headset.

And yah, the FPS on the video is 15 fps, 320x240:S. It's not great, but I can live with it. Just kinda wish it had a bigger screen.

MaaxHimself
09-18-2007, 02:19 AM
Will this phone work with Sprint?

Seedler
09-18-2007, 04:33 AM
Will this phone work with Sprint?

To my knowledge, only service providers that uses SIM cards for this phone are Fido and Rogers, and even though Sprint is in the U.S. I don't believe they offer SIM cards:no:

So no, I'm afraid it won't work with sprint.

DJGorgoroth
09-19-2007, 04:51 PM
My mate rocks that phone i think, seems pretty sweet.
Cant beat my phone that has the original Doom game on it!

Seedler
09-23-2007, 12:31 AM
My mate rocks that phone i think, seems pretty sweet.
Cant beat my phone that has the original Doom game on it!

I do too, downloaded from some site and it's up and running:D

Chewie
09-23-2007, 06:08 PM
I've never been much of a fan of Motorolas. They always seem to have a few daft things missing or strange features.
My old girl's got a RazR and she's annoyed at the way it drops calls all the time and not being able to set a custom message tone... I find the buttons on it need ridiculous pressure to operate considering it's a flip and there's no chance of accidental dialling.

I'm a big fan of SonyEricssons. Had a K800i for nearly a year now and the photos it takes are fantastic quality. Call quality is the best I've ever had (K700i, T610, Samsungs, Nokias), the screen is a beaut and bluetooth/IR work properly & fast (/flips finger at Nokia and Samsung).

Mrs Chewie and my youngest are perfectly happy with their Samsungs so each to their own, I say.

Shiranai_Baka
09-25-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm trying to wait for the W960i which will be like one of their best and latest! Its got internal 8GB (not expandable though) and touch screen just like the p1i. Hopefully it'll be out by the time my contract ends so I can get that sucker.