PDA

View Full Version : CD-drive not recognizing CD-RW

Creeping Death
09-15-2007, 02:33 PM
that's all there is to it, really. I put a CD-RW in and it recognizes the cd and what's on it but it doesn't give me the option to erase it. That's both explorer and nero, so I'm guessing this counts as a hardware problem?

Cheers people, any help is very much appreciated and will be rewarded with a very generous prize*

*may contain traces of lie

optimus_prime
09-15-2007, 10:02 PM
ok, let's focus on nero :)
what exactly do you mean by "it doesn't give me the option to erase it"? is option "erase rewritable disc" missing from menu or what?

Creeping Death
09-16-2007, 04:39 PM
ok, let's focus on nero :)
what exactly do you mean by "it doesn't give me the option to erase it"? is option "erase rewritable disc" missing from menu or what?

nah, but when I click that it tells me that the cd in the drive isn't rewritable, and would I please insert a rewritable disk to erase.

Peerzy
09-16-2007, 09:14 PM
What is the make and model of the drive and the make of the media?

The more information you give the better chance we have of helping you.

For not all I can suggest is update firmware and try a different type of media and see if it is just that disc or the drive that is the problem.

optimus_prime
09-16-2007, 11:53 PM
^:yup:

also mention if you have any problems burning normal cdrs, do you have problem with one media or multiple kind, was cdrw burned in your computer or other. when posting data make it detailed not "plextor drive with some blue media" :) get media info from nero cd/dvd speed "disc info" tab.

Appzalien
09-17-2007, 12:59 AM
Thats a good point, I have a plextor 708a that will not read any cd's and it turns out its a common failing with that model and Plextor will not even answer your e-mails. After a few tries to their support e-mail, I finally sent one to sales and burned their ears off with my bad language and in no uncertain terms they now know I will never buy Plextor again. And I got no answer to that one either and didn't expect one.

Always the first and easiest things to try are to check and repress your mobo and rom connectors, uninstall the drive from Device manager and allow Windows to reinstall the drivers to eliminate corruption of the drivers. Uninstall Nero if you have it and use their cleaning utilities to make sure all traces are removed then reinstall. I have noticed that the latest Nero 7 files screwup InCd and it will not appear in the tray, even if you run it directly from the directory or uninstall and reinstall it. You have to uninstall then run the cleaning utilities to get it back and I always loose anydvd too when I do it and have to uninstall and reinstall it as well.

Creeping Death
09-18-2007, 10:00 AM
right, so first of all, thanks for all the replies.

I'm not entirely sure what make and model the drive is, but in device manager it's called "NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A", if that means anything to anyone. (it came with my desktop, a Dell - about 2-3 years old)

I'm pretty sure that it's not nero, because normally windows explorer recognizes when a cd is RW and gives me the option "erase rewritable cd".

Haven't tried burning normal cd's, don't have any left - I've always just used cd-rw's tbh.

also: "the first and easiest things to try are to check and repress your mobo and rom connectors".... eh? :)

Cheers cheers cheers

optimus_prime
09-18-2007, 11:27 AM
cool, now please post what media do you use (get media info from nero cd/dvd speed "disc info" tab) how many cdrws have you tried, how old are they, are they from the same batch and same manufacturer and have they been burned on yours or some other burner.

sudeep12
09-18-2007, 01:42 PM
hi have a small doubt.there is any possible for lens may damage for writing somuch discs.there is any limited period for lens?

optimus_prime
09-18-2007, 03:10 PM
no you won't damage lens by writing, you can damage them by using crappy "lens cleaner" discs. other components like laser diodes and mechanics do have their lifespan tho.

Creeping Death
09-19-2007, 05:38 PM
cool, now please post what media do you use (get media info from nero cd/dvd speed "disc info" tab) how many cdrws have you tried, how old are they, are they from the same batch and same manufacturer and have they been burned on yours or some other burner.

I've tried several different cd-rw's(3 different brands, all burned on my burner), and have the same problem with all of them. I'm using nero 7 lite edition. But like I said, I doubt it's nero, WMP isn't giving me the option to erase either(same goes for explorer, like I said)

optimus_prime
09-19-2007, 07:20 PM
1. it would be helpful if you could get your hands on some cd-r or dvd-r/dvd-rw to determine if there is any burning functionality. and some more new cdrw media :)

2. try to recall any changes to the system you've made (if any) around the time your burner started behaving oddly (like adding antivirus, adding extra hardware, changing firmware, etc.) turn off all resident programs in task manager before erasing disk. try to estimate if conditions and usage might be such that it gathered dust or dirt.

3. if you have an option and skill or helping hand you should try testing drive on other computer (important).

4. if any of previous tests doesn't bring surprising result, and you can't test 3, this unfortunately doesn't sound good. reinstall nero. with great caution flash firmware to newest non-hacked one. after that only remaining fixes are windows reinstall and buying new dvd burner :(