PDA

View Full Version : middlemen trading

Polarbear
09-15-2007, 05:23 PM
hi,

i gave away quite a few invites for free, but i never traded any. can you please explain to me how the procedure of involving a middleman exactly works?

thank you

tralalala
09-15-2007, 05:28 PM
You open a thread in the MM forum, so does the the person you're trading with. If you're trading accounts - you post all the details to the account (user, password, email details if included in the trade).. etc..

You do need access to the BT Invites section before you can enter the MM area..

Polarbear
09-15-2007, 05:33 PM
but what does the middleman exactly do when it comes to trading invites? could you give me a little more details?
why is it supossed to be safe?
i do have to sent the invite to the trade partner's email anyway, don't i?

more details would be nice :)

Melvinmeow
09-15-2007, 06:49 PM
but what does the middleman exactly do when it comes to trading invites? could you give me a little more details?
why is it supossed to be safe?
i do have to sent the invite to the trade partner's email anyway, don't i?

more details would be nice :)

The middlemen are basically trusted people who are supposed to handle both parties info properly. Ensuring you get a proper trade.

AKA

Bob gives the middleman his sites login info.
You give the middleman your sites login info.

The middleman will then give you each others once he has confirmed both sites info work.
This is bacically to ensure your not scamming each other.

However I wont give my opinion on it ;)

Polarbear
09-15-2007, 06:58 PM
thanks. what i don't understand is, when i send an invite to my trade partner and he won't send me back the promised invite and disappears, what can the middleman do about it?

kaffeine
09-15-2007, 07:02 PM
...nothing. making a trade through a middleman reduces the possibility of a scam, but it's not 100% safe.

My advice is to stay away from trades, that way you don't have to worry about that.

tralalala
09-15-2007, 07:02 PM
ban the other person, get him disabled on sites.. bash him with a baseball bat... lots of ideas....... :shifty:

kaffeine
09-15-2007, 07:05 PM
^ that works too. but i think he wants to know if there's anything that can be done to recover his invite in that situation.

DefX
09-15-2007, 07:08 PM
However I wont give my opinion on it ;)

Thanks for that ;)

Middleman is a safer way to trade. However, it is still NOT 100% safe. It has its flaws.

Yes, you still can get scammed by utilizing it. However, thats extremely few and far in between. No, we are not liable if you do get scammed as its still your responsibility to research who you're trading with as it says on the MM fineprint.

Artemis
09-15-2007, 10:57 PM
@ melvin, doesn't your sig give your opinion of it :whistling

briand5379
09-16-2007, 02:09 AM
Seems pretty safe. It would be nice if people had more respect for themselves and the process of invites by not scamming anyone.

Polarbear
09-16-2007, 03:57 AM
how about each trader opens a new email account and lets the middleman have access to it. the middleman changes the pw on both email accounts and waits till each invite arrives. as soon as both invites are in the email, the mm gives back the passwords to the traders, so they can activate their account.
however, it would also be good if the middleman is a member on both sites that are traded to check out if both accounts are confirmed, right?

dbmp
09-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Don't trade. :)

Polarbear
09-16-2007, 06:34 PM
i lost all my oink invites because i invited a cheat (poweruser with excellent tracker references at ti, gave away many invites himself). he cheated after being a member for 2 month there.

i was really pissed and thought: "not only did i get nothing back from giving away invites for free. now i lose invites because of it."

i gave away up to 40 invites and accounts for free and i was really thinking: i'm through with this. let's trade and get something back.

but now i made up my mind and came to the conclusion that trading might also not be a good solution because of many reasons. the more people don't trade, the more invites will be free.

so i will continue to give away invites and accounts for free when i have some. i'm sure, that fst is a community that will appreciate it and i will benefit from it.

so dmp, don't worry. i won't trade :)

scribble
09-16-2007, 06:50 PM
polarbear, that's the best thing i've ever heard :)

Artemis
09-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Great news polarbear, as even SgtMajor has said (don't worry you'll run into him soon enough lol) it gives you a better feeling to have earned the invites, when you finally have the account, rather than trading to get something because you want it now!
If you make friends in the torrent community and become respected then, people who have the invites will trust you and invite you, and in the meantime you get to meet some new online friends, in the end after you have grabbed the latest R5 release 2mins 14sec after pre a few times then the community becomes more important to you anyway.

Good luck and have fun :D