PDA

View Full Version : Which linux distro should i choose for a seedbox?

Unstable1
09-16-2007, 11:52 AM
hi

im wondering which linux distro i should choose for running a dedicated seedbox?

could anyone offer advice on this please?

thanks

optimus_prime
09-16-2007, 12:13 PM
whatever distro you're most comfortable with :)

Unstable1
09-16-2007, 09:23 PM
whatever distro you're most comfortable with :)

i am not experienced with linux, but my job used to be a solaris unix admin, so im sure i will get to grips with linux quite quickly.

i want to go with linux to save money and not have to pay a monthly fee for a windows license.

i just dont know which distro to pick, for example, vectoral offers several different linux options.

i plan to install the linux i choose on my laptop first to learn how to set up the seedbox, and then when i understand how to install and get running torrentflux (for example) or perhaps rtorrent, then i will order my seedbox with that version of linux.

i was thinking about going with ubuntu.

i would like to run beryl too at home.

cheers

kaffeine
09-16-2007, 09:31 PM
FC6 is easy to manage, and there's a nice guide here on the guides section for you to follow:
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-guides-and-tutorials-65/t-installing-utorrent-leeware-walkthrough-169620

(it doesn't really matter that the guide is meant to be for leeware, if you have FC6 it will work for you)
:)

Artemis
09-16-2007, 09:32 PM
for a server to use on a seedbox the easy distro to configure and run is fedora core . I have configured Linux seedboxes using fedora, debian sarge and ubuntu, and to get everything up and going quickly fedora is the simplest.

rvt
09-17-2007, 03:59 AM
I'm starting to like centos minimal. No need to download 6 DVDs for install on a local machine, and it's based on RHEL so you get yum and some nice init tools. I used to be a debian fan, but they are too slow with "stable" packages and your system can get in a real mess using "testing" packages.

Unstable1
09-17-2007, 04:25 AM
cheers guys.

one last question.

can i run beryl on fedora core? id like that to be my GUI on my home machine.

edit: found answer, FC does support beryl, think i will choose FC then.