PDA

View Full Version : Question About Peer Guardian

Arm
07-07-2003, 01:09 AM
All those IP addresses on the IP datebase for Peer Guardian, where do they come from? How does someone get all those IP addresses?

RealitY
07-07-2003, 01:25 AM
A lot of them are submitted by everday people through the feedback section of their site. People watch traffic and do research and then post them.

Ad
07-08-2003, 05:26 AM
Yeah so how do we know PG evern works most of the time it is innocent people we block

dingdongding
07-08-2003, 05:34 AM
because there are ppl like me that monitor the submissions and badger the admins to remove the bad ranges...

RealitY
07-08-2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by adthomp@8 July 2003 - 06:26
Yeah so how do we know PG evern works most of the time it is innocent people we block
Actually, that is quite rare. Usually bad ranges affect regular web surfing. I also have submitted bad ranges in feedback which are generally removed in a day or two. It is NOT mostly innocent people who get blocked, think before you speak.

Ad
07-08-2003, 05:54 AM
Actually, that is quite rare. Usually bad ranges affect regular web surfing. I also have submitted bad ranges in feedback which are generally removed in a day or two. It is NOT mostly innocent people who get blocked, think before you speak.

Ive used it before it was a pain in the ass was getting 1000 blocks from evil corparation everyday litertly

dingdongding
07-08-2003, 05:57 AM
that's fine but there are currently efforts to improve the database and ppl have the option of using the recommended list where ranges have been voted "thumbs up"- the system needs improved by ppls' efforts...not lazy critics

RealitY
07-08-2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by dingdongding@8 July 2003 - 06:57
the system needs improved by ppls&#39; efforts...&nbsp; ==>>not lazy critics<<== (I saw that and agree)
Well said, in addition I used to get the same amount of large blocks, but as of late with list under 70 million it seems to be alot more effective and accurate. I would imagine its been quite some time since he has even used it.

Ad
07-08-2003, 06:09 AM
Well said, in addition I used to get the same amount of large blocks, but as of late with list under 70 million it seems to be alot more effective and accurate. I would imagine its been quite some time since he has even used it.

True I havnt used it in 2 months it gave me the shits too much made my computer lag being 56k user doesnt help either

RealitY
07-08-2003, 06:14 AM
PG made you computer lag?? What are you running a 386 or a commadore.

Ad
07-08-2003, 06:18 AM
no I dont me my computer I mean my bandwith sorry being 56k when ever the damm thing made 1000 blocks of evil corp I would loose my bandwith and it would dl at 0.7kb/s :o

Arm
07-08-2003, 07:45 PM
10 posts later and nobody answered my question. :angry:

How does someone collect them? I understand the submit part but when it comes to actually aquiring them I don&#39;t know how it&#39;s done.

dingdongding
07-08-2003, 11:38 PM
the train was getting derailed by the post whore lol- sorry

first off the wrong way to do it- submitting colleges, universities coz you get port scanned or whatever by students- submitting ip ranges of isps and hosting companies coz someone doesn&#39;t know how to track a company within that huge range- ie just does a whois search and submits that range and in general anyone who submits ranges having to do with random port scans- there are millions each day and that&#39;s what personal firewalls are for (all of these are currently being done my morons who have no business submitting)

the right ways: using the Solar Winds SUBNET Calculator, nmap, tracert
using these tools on known anti p2p groups is the only way to do it right- oh yeah and you can get lucky with wildcard searches eg baytsp* which might give you registered ranges that can be verified by anyone doing a whois search...

anyone who wants more details just im me...

Arm
07-09-2003, 04:07 AM
good about time someone answered my question.

dingdongding
07-09-2003, 04:14 PM
lol

randm01
07-10-2003, 06:18 AM
getting back off subject again..i dunno how someone with 56k can complain about pg slowing his dloads ..im on 56k and have had pg for 3mths and still dlaod between 300mb and 400mb per day...maybe someone should look at what someone was dloading and change to dloading something worthwhile.... <_<

Jibbler
07-13-2003, 07:44 AM
I don&#39;t think upload/download is the issue. Basically, for the everyday user, you have to look at it like this. If you are willing to accept that 99% of the verifieds on this board are truly verified, then you should accept that fact that PG works based on the research of others. :huh: B) ;)