PDA

View Full Version : urgent help needed, busted by Symantec

steve8330
09-16-2007, 09:16 PM
I could really use some expert advice.

I just received an email from my ISP of Notice of Action under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act that Symantec found my sharing their software.

I may have been using uTorrent, and maybe I was allowing it to be uploaded by others.

I haven't receied anything in the mail, or anything from Symantec, but the email said they provided my name and address to Symantec.

Do any of you have any resources (information) that I can check out (web sites or other info) that can be of help here. I wounder if there is anything I can send to my ISP telling them not to release anyother info.

Am I screwed or is this just a warning shot over my head?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ev0
09-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Tell them you were using a wireless router and it wasnt you. Someone must have hacked into it and done that nasty horrible thing they're accusing you of :D

jasperr
09-16-2007, 09:52 PM
i don't think that Utorrent is an issue.... were you using public trackers or something?? if so i would advise ya to stop asap.. lol, although that advice seems a bit late for you.. my advice that it just may be a scare tactic from your isp(yes, they do that)... and perhaps wait to see if you recieve anything at all from Symantec... .. let me ask ya this, did your isp cut off your service for this??

Squizzle
09-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Probably just a cease and desist, don't do it again and you'll be fine.

Skengeboy
09-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Stop sharing whatever you share ASAP. Remove all pirated software on your computer and if they take action (i don't think they will) just say that you must have gotten a trojan or something, and someone has used your computer remotely!

huqiming
09-18-2007, 03:25 PM
I think your ISP is actually bluffing. Most IPSs will not give out customer name/address just because of a cease and desist letter.

$SnoopDo2G$
09-18-2007, 03:59 PM
It depends if your ISP is a snitch... :lol:

Gargamel198024
09-18-2007, 11:32 PM
I got these letters a few times from my ISP about movies and what not... Nothing ever happened!! NOW, I use Newsgroups..... Havent gotten anything since!

Skipinder
09-19-2007, 05:51 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. Even if they inform Symantec, you are way to small for a coorporation to worry about you. They'd probably end up spending more money in legal fees than they would get out of you.

jasperr
09-19-2007, 11:45 AM
I think your ISP is actually bluffing. Most IPSs will not give out customer name/address just because of a cease and desist letter.

although i agree about it being a bluff, a lot of ISPs are going the way of the "DOMNINO" . by this i mean that all it takes is a request and they fall into compliance.... sad to say but it's true.. Further more i would stay away from any tracker that is "OPEN TO ALL" and stick with the more restricted trackers... chances are slimmer that someone could get your ip... and thats not even 100%..

briand5379
09-21-2007, 06:18 AM
Some isp's fold and some don't. There are some that would rather cut your internet off just so you can't access the content then hand over your information.

Roxanne
09-22-2007, 11:55 PM
It depends if your ISP is a snitch... :lol:

This statement I agree with, depends on your isp and how much they want "customers", I remember a few years back Verizon said It would not, went to court and actually Won?, but
that may be just a fleeting occurance....and I don't know what their policies are now???
But would'nt try it in a heartbeat with the like's of Cox or Comcast............

briand5379
09-23-2007, 04:23 AM
Most won't fold, the reason why is cause it makes people question trust in relation to privacy. Once you can't be trusted your bound to lose customers and most people in business don't want that to happen. There can also be more do it then this. That situation that happened a few years back I believe AT&T is the only company that handed over the info no questions asked cause I remember they got sued because of it.

WhiteWizard20
09-23-2007, 08:00 PM
I think your ISP provider is just trying to scare you. Just stop for a week and then try it again if you want to.

r37theking
09-27-2007, 05:42 AM
Whoa that sucks....

DikTation
10-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Use Peerguardian it will most likely lower your chance of gettin caught again.

Jozza321

Saroman
10-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Probably just a cease and desist, don't do it again and you'll be fine.

Googled C & D and learned something new today :D
Thanx

Something Else
10-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Yeah what squizzle said and if they bother you any more tell them a minor had access to your PC but you have now passworded it and he will no longer be able to access the internets from your PC.

zema
10-13-2007, 06:58 PM
peerguardian to go! And deny it - send a letter back asking what are they talking about, and ask them if You were hacked and what can You do to be protected, and why Symantec software did not protect You. Call symantec and ask them why their software did not protect You, ask them/their stuff to look in the problem and to assist You in protecting Your computer or You would like to get money back, etc. Load them with rubbish, be boring, stupid, people working there are tired of people that call for support and after a while they will get rid of You. And that is perfect alibi. Always work!

Fibre
10-14-2007, 05:22 AM
Use Peerguardian it will most likely lower your chance of gettin caught again.

Please don't spread false information. It won't give you any protection what so ever.

Stop using public BitTorrent trackers. Stick to Private.

sleepyy
10-14-2007, 11:17 AM
doubble post sorry

sleepyy
10-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Find Two KG of dinomite and strap it to the side of your pc and all other computer bits and set it alight and watch and enjoy the explotion please also check that you are of legle age to have explosives in your posession

WarrenBuffet
10-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Call Symantec urgently and Apologize! tell them you don't understand because you don't use p2p/torrent etc and a neighbor was screwing with your wireless router. AND OF COURSE STOP USING ALL SHARING FOR AT LEAST 6 MONTHS. they'll be paying close attention to your IP know, monitoring it triple time.

Agrajag
10-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Why bother using private trackers, they aren't anymore since people started "trading" invites with strangers.

Which part of the World are you in. Nobody can give you a meaningful answer without knowing that. In the UK for example the Data Protection Act would prevent your ISP providing private details to anyone other than law enforcement. Even then they would have to provide the proper documents to access it.

Fibre
10-15-2007, 04:48 AM
Private trackers are safer than Public :)