PDA

View Full Version : The "retired trader" phenomenon

znik
09-17-2007, 08:42 PM
I notice more and more people declaring themselves as "retired traders" here and I was wondering why they are doing it.

-Do they feel uncomfortable and shamed of their past?

-Does this make them feel as experienced and cool bittorent users that have accomplished something special?

-Do they want to pretend to be trusted non-traders so as to get invites they couldn't get via trading?

-Do they need some kind of pension? :P

A lot of people are also declaring that they will retire after they get this and that tracker.
Is this another kind of trick to get what they want?

How many of these "retired" traders do you actually think that they really retire and how many of them won't start trading again when a new tracker pops-up in the list? :ermm:

beat
09-17-2007, 08:51 PM
I think they announce their retirement to get some pension out of it (maybe to beg for invites like FTN). I already tried to explain that those kind of threads are pointless in a recent "retirement" announcement but I guess the so called retired didn't understand my point.

RainRoofer
09-17-2007, 08:51 PM
I thinks it's
-Does this make them feel as experienced and cool bittorent users that have accomplished something special?

I don't check topics in BT Invite section that regulary except titles but I see lots of them recently.

Kirstein
09-17-2007, 08:55 PM
I hear you znik, it's as if it's becoming a trend and a lot of times it's in peoples signatures either "retired trader" or "I don't trade" as if people are trying too hard to make a point, which shouldn't be neccesary, if people want to know where they stand, they should be able to by just looking at their posts, I don't get it??

znik
09-17-2007, 09:01 PM
The only signature I haven't seen so far is "retired scammer"! :D

It seems that scammers never retire! :P

sear
09-17-2007, 09:02 PM
I choose this one;

-Do they want to pretend to be trusted non-traders so as to get invites they couldn't get via trading?

I'm always skeptical of people who declare themselves retired. What's the point :idunno: if your not going to trade anymore then just don't. It's as easy as that.

Having said that there's at least one ex-trader that I do trust :whistling

dbmp
09-17-2007, 09:10 PM
-Do they feel uncomfortable and shamed of their past?

:noes:

:yup:

zedex
09-17-2007, 09:15 PM
they think that it will help them when they beg here for FTN each time

DefX
09-17-2007, 09:26 PM
I heard being a "retired trader" is an aphrodisiac to teh ladies :whistling

seh
09-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Lol, yeah always thought it was kinda funny.
But ahh well, whatever makes them happy I guess.

barral01
09-17-2007, 09:41 PM
People retire when have all trackers they need.

Patriot foreve
09-17-2007, 09:42 PM
you are a retired trader yourself znik so why don't u tell us :whistling ?

Well some declare tehy are retired ,some declare they anti-traders to get some trackers but also some really retired either because of lack of interest or because they are satisfied or they decided to take the other road by not trading since it's chances is much better than before in getting the trackers they want

Personally as an ex-trader i have nothing to be ashamed of during my trading career ,i have met alot of friends,i have known alot of good persons.i retired mainly because i have been pretty much satisfied with what i have from quite atime besides lack of time lately ,i believe also alot of traders are doing great job in helping members by giving away alot of invites

Tokeman
09-17-2007, 09:44 PM
I was gunna retire, but I decided that it would go against my name :P

You are what you have made of yourself here. I have traded, and I have done giveaways. I would like to think of myself as a helpfull trader, not some tracker collecting mad man trader.
I feel peoples past posts give a good idea of who they are, and putting 'retired' in you title/sig doesn't change your past.

spark
09-17-2007, 09:45 PM
they think that it will help them when they beg here for FTN each time

:yup:

WarrenBuffet
09-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Dude are you saying this has started recently? I'm relatively knew but I always that it was just common place here.

DefX
09-17-2007, 09:50 PM

I think he's just talking about those who advertises their "retired status" in their signatures, below their avatars, etc.

Not necessarily all former traders.

SAM
09-17-2007, 11:09 PM
IMO
you can be whatever you want to be
you choose for yourself but when someone advertises hiself as a retired trader is kinda fishy
it's like he is telling us i'm sorry or i was wrong or asking us for something in return
if you want to stop just stop
don't go in the streets shouting i quit like you were on crack :D

Skengeboy
09-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Well i retired because of lack of interest, i did just a few trades when i traded aswell, to get up to levels where i could do giveaways that where appriciated by people, not just giving away invites to piratebay.org. After that i retired and stopped trading and started to make giveaways, and people are much cooler to you when you have stopped trading really. I haven't gotten myself any invites by doing this way, but when i want invites in giveaways, people know i won't trade 'em.

So i think it is totally okay to "retire".

SAM
09-17-2007, 11:31 PM
it's okay to retire but not okay to tell everyone in the world you did
why do you want people to know you retired ?!

stroj
09-17-2007, 11:38 PM
Its nothing wrong about it, but nothing really good also. Maybe ppl can avoid getting called "trader" by some kiddos.. Same thing as with anti-trading.

fstemon
09-17-2007, 11:40 PM
it's okay to retire but not okay to tell everyone in the world you did
why do you want people to know you retired ?!

They could be proud of it. Most likely though, they let everyone know it just because they want some hard to get invites. "Look at me, I don't trade anymore. Give me an invite now! I deserve it now." :)

dbmp
09-18-2007, 12:11 AM
Don't trade, retire, don't warn us. We'll find out by your behavior. :)

dawsonkm
09-18-2007, 12:28 AM
Don't trade, retire, don't warn us. We'll find out by your behavior. :)

Why worry either way unless you are involved

KFlint
09-18-2007, 12:55 AM
if you are retired, then just hide your rep points, you don't need em anymore, this should be enough for people to get that you don't trade anymore

no need to make a big show about this

marksman
09-18-2007, 12:56 AM
I choose this one;

[quote=znik;2275061]

n its not me :( :(??

SHUVT
09-18-2007, 01:00 AM
It has been a new trend as trading has been tagged with a bad stigma. I think it became the trend here as so many things have. It will be popular for a while and then the sheep will continue trading, when it is no longer cool.

I personally think it is good that people step away from the trading. I don't think that people need to publicly announce it, unless they have ulterior motives. I have seen many retire and then get right back into it as soon as that greed kicks in or they don't get what they thought retiring would bring them.

Just let your actions speak for who you are and no announcement will be required...

This thread seems to be very similar to o ne I posted about 3 months ago.

sear
09-18-2007, 01:10 AM

n its not me :( :(??

:lol: you're all right but I was actually thinking of my friend Detale :whistling

btw fixed those tags for ya...no0b :P

briand5379
09-18-2007, 02:06 AM
Once a trader always a trader. Kind of like the theory of once an alcoholic always an alcoholic.

meo
09-18-2007, 02:20 AM
I wonder when all that fuzz about so called retire/anti traders bullcrap all started.. oh i remember now.. like 4 months ago by some clueless ppl.
Greedz

briand5379
09-18-2007, 02:53 AM
It seems like it's people who can't get higher level trackers like ScT and FTN so now their changing their ways and still asking for the same trackers.

DKre8ive1
09-18-2007, 02:57 AM
It also could be that they do it so all the torrent sites staff that are on here see it.

Then if the trader actually stops trading and in a few months gains an invite to a site that doesn't support traders, but is kind enough to give an ex-trader a chance.

Who knows maybe the staff will give him a break and just keep a close eye on his account instead of banning/disabling the person as soon they check the site.

briand5379
09-18-2007, 03:03 AM
I can definitely see alot of validity in that thought.

blackbird
09-18-2007, 03:24 AM
retire or not your trading history doesnt dissapear .. :whistling

sense
09-18-2007, 07:11 AM
My vote goes to:

Quite a number of these people, if you look hard enough you will find a few within this thread. :O

znik
09-18-2007, 08:00 AM

and how the hell do you know that? :wacko:
Have I ever traded with you and I don't know about it?
Have I ever used you (or anyone else) as a middleman?
Have you seen any trading post or thread of me out of my 1000+ posts all these years?
Have I ever traded any of my accounts that I am not aware of?
Have I ever used a "retired trader" sign in my signature as you, or have I ever posted a pompus retirement thread? :frusty:

Anyway, my question was not why someone is retiring from trading, but why he should declare it publically and write it on his face.

sert
09-18-2007, 08:20 AM
It has been a new trend as trading has been tagged with a bad stigma. I think it became the trend here as so many things have. It will be popular for a while and then the sheep will continue trading, when it is no longer cool.

I personally think it is good that people step away from the trading. I don't think that people need to publicly announce it, unless they have ulterior motives. I have seen many retire and then get right back into it as soon as that greed kicks in or they don't get what they thought retiring would bring them.

Just let your actions speak for who you are and no announcement will be required...

This thread seems to be very similar to o ne I posted about 3 months ago.

Actions? What actions, your post was nice, but there are not any actions, its just a forum and all you can do is type - no speak or act.

@Znik: nice topic you could add a poll to save some reading.

Also I am thinking of starting a poll with subject why some members are using bold or blue or big or other distinctive letters. What would you think about it?

JA
09-18-2007, 08:52 AM

Have you seen any trading post or thread of me out of my 1000+ posts all these years?
Have I ever used a "retired trader" sign in my signature as you, or have I ever posted a pompus retirement thread? :frusty:

Anyway, my question was not why someone is retiring from trading, but why he should declare it publically and write it on his face.
Yeh you have traded.

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-invites-90/t-oink-request-157763

kkthxsbai.

znik
09-18-2007, 09:05 AM
yes and with whom had I traded JA and who would really give me an oink for a TL?

Anyway, yes it was an (unsuccessful) attempted trade I didn't even remember way back when I was a noob. I never declared myself a retired trader though after that "trade".

Beenieman
09-18-2007, 09:08 AM
Hardly makes him a trader though does it lol

JA
09-18-2007, 09:12 AM
yes and with whom had I traded JA and who would really give me an oink for a TL?

Anyway, yes it was an (unsuccessful) attempted trade I didn't even remember way back when I was a noob. I never declared myself a retired trader though after that "trade".
What does it matter if it was successful or not? You tried to trade, therefore you were a trader.
Maybe not now, but you were, seriously no hard feelings.

Just saying stuff like you never ever traded was a lie :):pinch:

But anyhow hope we still cool.

Anyhow to answer your question, personally i just put Retired up because stopped trading and i don't hang around here as much as i use to. Thus the "retired"

It also could be that they do it so all the torrent sites staff that are on here see it.

Then if the trader actually stops trading and in a few months gains an invite to a site that doesn't support traders, but is kind enough to give an ex-trader a chance.

Who knows maybe the staff will give him a break and just keep a close eye on his account instead of banning/disabling the person as soon they check the site.
And yeh thats 110% true.

Patriot foreve
09-18-2007, 09:26 AM

well,as long as i remember ,i did have traded with you once in the old times ,i am sure you don't trade now but as far as i remember we traded before

i think u quit trading before the middleman section was implented so u didn't use me as middleman b4

and for my info u don't use others acc on some other boards to trade with like some others do

My new sig don't say that i am retired ,it's said (Finally retired) and if u were noticing the last months i wasn't doing any trades but i didn't declare a public announcement so i was technically retired few months ago before the thread comes

The Big thread which you are talking about and present in my sig wasn't only for retirment ,i retired,stepped down from moderation and leaving the WIAW thread to anew ranker so it was mainly to notify the members here about the new news

Being retired for now doesn't mean i don't respect traders ,well i still do as alot of them helped me and helped others to join alot of places .at least i don't change my personality as some others who declare retirment or Anti-Traders start attacking traders everywhere to achieve certain goals and get into certain places ,The same way also i do respect real Anti-Traders who choosed that path not those who saw that being Anti-Trader is more safer way and the new rocking way to get into high ranked trackers

I do respect Traders ,I do respect Real Anti-Traders but i don't like some previous traders who announce retirement or announce they are Anti-Traders and start attacking Tradesr everywhere claiming them as terrorists which is far away from Truth as i was mainly expecting from these members to explain their program in a better way like saying (we don't trade but we like to help eachother as the one who has an invite give it to the one who needs it and same happens . being atrader may put you in some risks and most trackers think that's not right to trade .we try to aid eachother and become good friends ,the one who has is helping the one who hasn't ..............) but not like some ways that is very offensive like (Traders Sucks -Traders are devils -Traders are Terrorists - Anti-Traders are Angels) as that won't really create compassion to your case

I believe i have said enough ;)

znik
09-18-2007, 09:32 AM
You don't remember well Patriot, because if you had really traded with me you would have already posted here your proofs.

Necronomicon
09-18-2007, 09:41 AM
znik, Old Buddy. I guess there are two kinds of people: who really means it and either got what he wanted or just really quit (bored get tired, or other) and those, who have dupe accounts and never really quit trading.
Trading is not evil - it is just a tool to get what U want. I am not ashamed of myself being a trader, and I never ask anybody's (including Yours) opinion or judgement to trade or not to trade. Like it or not: there always will be traders around. Some are generous and willing to giveaway regularly ( I made lots of giveaways until I got sick and tired of "bad" traders who trade my giveaways regularly...).
That is my opinion - U need not to agree.

znik
09-18-2007, 09:46 AM
I never said trading is evil and that's not the point of my thread.

I just don't understand why someone should declare himself as a retired trader on his signature. He may do whatever he wants, trade or not. Who cares really?

Why everyone else should know he has quit trading?

Necronomicon
09-18-2007, 09:50 AM
It is up to everybody's decision. Some of my friends have it. I tell them to remove it, Master! Sylar666 has it, he does not trade anymore - he really retired but does not really care who thinks what. I just do and will do what I feel appropriate.:)
Trade? What the heck...Just 4 the sake of it, just 4 the hell of it.:)

briand5379
09-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Quit trading or not it doesn't really matter, once a trader always a trader.

huqiming
09-18-2007, 03:00 PM
dunno, actually quite a few of announcements look sincere to me.

YoYoY
09-18-2007, 04:37 PM
Guys belive me i didn't do my thread for anything of these reasons
i have friends here and they all invited me to great tracker
my friend here invited me to sct for free i'm not looking for anything i just want you all to help each other that's all
belive me i'm looking for a free ftn or free tt invite or all this
i have good friends here they invited me to the sites that i need it
thank you for your attention :)

ADELA
09-18-2007, 04:41 PM
I heard being a "retired trader" is an aphrodisiac to teh ladies :whistling

nope

Drak0
09-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Its a revolution... Can only hope...:P

no_more_tears
09-18-2007, 07:56 PM
well i'm going to retire but i need only 1 tracker that i don't have and this tracker is FTN.I'm pissed of trading accounts and now i have only 7 which i use.3 bulgarians for great speed,ScT,BitHQ for dvd's,Bit-HDTV for HQ and Music-Vid for mv's.So my point is that some of us are tired of trading and taking a long vacation :)

znik
09-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Anyway, as I 've told multiple times I haven't asked why someone retires from trading.
It is obvious that someone retires from trading when he gets what he wants. The irrational would probably be to keep on trading for ever (even though I can also understand that as some kind of a hobby.)

I just asked the reason for all these "retirement" declarations and I think that the topic is already covered and some fair answers given.

No need to say over and over again the same things just to increase the number of our posts. I think that the thread fulfilled its purpose and could be locked.

rvt
09-18-2007, 09:28 PM
It is obvious that someone retires from trading when he gets what he wants.

Until he finds something else he wants :P

As for why they want to announce it, I guess it's some kind of "I'm better than you because I don't trade anymore" thing.
It doesn't help them gain any trust and get new trackers because their trading history never goes away.
It doesn't protect the accounts they already have if staff decide they don't like ex-traders.
It doesn't really achieve anything except proclaim publically how great they think they are :P

marksman
09-18-2007, 10:43 PM
well..its obviously because they want ppl 2 give invites..

but real retired traders..are the one who never announces it..just like me..oh shit..i just announced it
..okay who's gonna give me uk-t