PDA

View Full Version : Hairy Putter?

H.H.
07-07-2003, 06:06 PM
Well...well...well!

It's really NOT in the story.... it's in the MARKETING!!!

I have to say that I have NOT read a single Harry Potter novel (book....whatever)
AND I am NOT going to!!!

The bits and pieces of the series that have seeped through into my attention reveal a well-packaged product targeted for imbecil kids that grew up with the PC- adventure and role games and hunger for more cloacks, daggers, magic, and mystique and just haven't taken the time to find anything better!

Well... as far as SAGAS go.... Tolkien, Herbert, Gibson or anyone from Iceland (!) tells a better story with less by-products...

AND if You really want something to write home about , read Harry Harrison's "Bill The Galactic Hero" - series....

Harry P. is just a little nerd with a magic-wand.... (hey...let's have a harry potter party.... somebody go get a sackfull of horn-rimmed glasses!!!) Enid Blyton would have had a BALL reading that s***!!!

One thing that's hard to believe is that even grownups read HP!!!

Boy!!!Talk about good marketing!!! I guess they play with little HP-dolls, too!!!

HP is a good SAUCE... as far as anything else goes... gimme some more ketchup, please!

Well.... anyone can just be happy with his/her own bookcase, but mine is off limits to dear old Harry!!

Yipikaiei... mf's....and BYE!!!

H.H. ;)

Lamsey
07-07-2003, 06:12 PM
The Harry Potter books are actually pretty good, but are massively overhyped.

Why don't you try reading them before mouthing off about them?

dmorgan89
07-07-2003, 06:41 PM
i have to agree with lamsey. I'm 17 years old and i've read the new harry potter book. I thought it was dumb too until i accually read it. Whether people like it or not doesn't matter. The majority is already in favor considering it's been the highest selling book for a long time. It sold 5 million in the first day. Tolkien, Herbert, Gibson or anyone from Iceland can't beat that.

H.H.
07-07-2003, 06:45 PM
Well.... when I get retired and have NOTHING else to do.... OR maybe they will bury me with a copy of HP.... BUT before that.... NOT happening!

Anyway... personally I find all that Sword&Magic-stuff IMMENSELY boring...
Medieval&other such s*** is GONE as far as I am concerned....

I find Science-Fiction much more interesting, even if it's all just fairy-tales...

Asimov, Herbert or Dick over HP any day of the week, thank You!!!

I'm just waiting to see when the hell Holly-F******-wood is going to produce a really good SF-movie.... the technology is allready there but with stories like "Armageddon".... gimme a break!!!

There's enough good novels around but they keep making this "Ghosts Of Mars"- kind of bulls***!!! Any book by William Gibson turned into a film would kick "The Matrix" plus all it's sequels in the butt!!! Matrix boasts with technology but has no real storyline... what would become of a good story with technology added... a Hollywood impossibility??? Another Titanic?Another fiasco?Another exercise in futility?Or a flick starring Arnie Schwarzenegger?Who the hell knows!
Hollywood has the ability to turn even the best of the best books into senseless gibberish! I have often wondered... when I have seen the movie after reading the book.... what is the idea of changing characters names, locations, etc. until the whole thing is barely recognizeable ???Hollywood logic?

I also wonder why good books tend to turn into rotten films...

Maybe the two art forms should never collide but be kept separate at all times?

Enough disasters in this world as it is...

h. <_<

dmorgan89
07-07-2003, 06:55 PM
i dont read much at all. I think this new harry potter book is the longest i&#39;ve ever read. I enjoy listening better so i&#39;m listening to the prisoner of azkaban on audio. It&#39;s also faster. But you can&#39;t diss harry potter considering it&#39;s success. The Matrix or Matrix reloaded can&#39;t compare to harry potter anyways because considering the stats. Harry potter did better than the matrix reloaded. The two towers did better though.

dmorgan89
07-07-2003, 06:56 PM
harry potter and the sourcer&#39;s stone is 10th on the all time grossing movies. matrix reloaded is 18th. So that&#39;s not even a comparison.

H.H.
07-07-2003, 06:58 PM
Well... YOU probably buy Your music following the charts numbers, too???Anything high on the charts is GREAT, right???

Who is this guy???An HP-sales manager???What is he thinking???

What the hell do I care about SALES NUMBERS... are You saying 200.000.00 idiots can&#39;t be WRONG??? 200.000.00 idiots think "The Bold And The Beautiful" is a good TV-series....???

And IF you had READ anything by "Tolkien, Herbert OR Gibson" you would not use their names while talking about that un-mentioned vessel of mass-idiocy.

:unsure:

H.H.
07-07-2003, 07:00 PM
You don&#39;t read much at all???

You don&#39;t think much at all either???

The brain is like a muscle in your body... IF you don&#39;t USE it... it withers away.

I rest my case.

H. ;)

dmorgan89
07-07-2003, 07:15 PM
see look there. idiots like these that give forums bad names. There newbie&#39;s to the forums and just when they start they have to start flaming to get noticed. If you&#39;ll read what i have said then you&#39;ll notice that i dont like what is necessary #1 on the billboard or the boxoffice. I just said you can&#39;t diss it if it&#39;s number because it proves that people like it. It&#39;s kinda like if someone is selling 10th highest on the billboard charts and they go about saying that nsync is dumb and stupid and why would anyone like nsync. Your pretty much dissing yourself considering your selling way less than they are and they have no room to talk.

Your right i dont think much at all. But by what you&#39;ve said you don&#39;t see much. Maybe you need some glasses or something. Next time you&#39;ll stop putting words in my mouth. I consider the matrix reloaded to be better than harry potter and lotr even though it didn&#39;t sell that much. But i also don&#39;t go flaming it and other people&#39;s opinions. I might give an opinion back as i did here, but i&#39;m certainly not immature to start a fight about it like you have. I would suggest first to get glasses then go take a chill pill.

Peace.

McGee
07-07-2003, 07:17 PM
H.H., who is to say that one ignorant such as yourself CAN&#39;T be wrong? HMM? I rest my case&#33; lOLOLOL. Uh, yea.

McGee

dmorgan89
07-07-2003, 07:23 PM
Better yet let&#39;s just give it to him. There you go H.H. You win. Harry Potter is the worst book in the world. Maybe it&#39;ll make you feel better.

Ad
07-08-2003, 05:35 AM
:spam: :o

dlingeverything
07-08-2003, 05:36 AM
H.H. i would really respect your opinion

However,

you havent really read the books and you probably
have only heard stuff from ppl who dont like the books

Ad
07-08-2003, 05:44 AM
Harry Potters for kids read the book did nothing for em sorry ;)

FireATM
07-08-2003, 06:09 AM
I actually know a lot of adults that read and watch Harry Potter. Weird. I do read Harry Potter books though. <cough> <cough> <....spam topic...> <cough> <cough>

chalice
07-08-2003, 07:01 AM
I don&#39;t read Harry Potter but my son does and he loves it.
Anything literary that can hold a child&#39;s attention and feed their imaginaton is a good thing.
Aren&#39;t we forgetting that these are childrens&#39; books?
In a culture sadly deadened by the advent of technology we should be grateful that the written word has had such a resurgence, even ii it is a hotch-potch of borrowed themes and style.
Oh, and Harry Harrison- I remember his Stainless Steel Rat series from my teenage years. Thanks for the pleasant reminder.

dmorgan89
07-09-2003, 06:59 AM
what are you guys talking about? hairy putter sucks&#33; B) :lol:

HeavyMetalParkingLot
07-09-2003, 08:40 AM
i once promised myself i would not read these books. but since the new one came out i have read the first two. and boy am i glad i did&#33;

H.H.
07-09-2003, 10:41 AM
"Your rightthat&#39;s cool, but....???
see look there. idiots like these that give forums bad names." (End of quote)

Well... think before You talk... that&#39;s what I usually do... that is why I am so shy and silent all the time&#33;

H. ;)

WeeMouse
07-09-2003, 10:44 AM
I love the Harry Potter books. i refusef to read them til the Prosoner of Azkaban came out, and then i read it through boredom.....and I haven&#39;t looked back.

You don&#39;t wanna read them? Fine. doesn&#39;t bother us at all&#33; I didn&#39;t know if I would have like "The Hobbit" or "The Lord Of The Rings" at first, but i gave them a bash...same as the Terry Pratchet Discworld series.........

:)

H.H.
07-09-2003, 10:55 AM
"I don&#39;t read Harry Potter but my son does and he loves it.
Anything literary that can hold a child&#39;s attention and feed their imaginaton is a good thing.
Aren&#39;t we forgetting that these are childrens&#39; books?
In a culture sadly deadened by the advent of technology we should be grateful that the written word has had such a resurgence, even ii it is a hotch-potch of borrowed themes and style.
Oh, and Harry Harrison- I remember his Stainless Steel Rat series from my teenage years. Thanks for the pleasant reminder."

Again... I rest my case&#33;

H.H. ;)

ps. There&#39;s more to Harry (not Potter) than meets the eye&#33;&#33;&#33;

ps2. It kind of makes me wonder when (IF) kids don&#39;t read books anymore... all that wonderful interaction with the readers own mind and imagination and the written word... will it all vanish or turn into a kind of videogame in the end? Spooky&#33; That is what makes literature so alive... anyone can just dream up their OWN worlds and surroundings to things happening in the text...
Stainless Steel Rat was OK, but I STILL prefer the blue-eyed country-boy elegance of "Bill, The Galactic Hero"... the man with two left arms (or was it two right arms...) You never can be too sure about these things....

H.H. ;)

--------------------

Styx
07-09-2003, 11:04 AM

Well, the Harry Potter books a fine as far as they go- which is not very deep. I mean, come on, a book about a bording school?&#33; (yes, Hogwarts is *shock, horror* just a glorified boarding school) Considering that boarding schools are part of the reason victorian britian had so many social problems...

I read the Harry Potter books. They&#39;re ok.

I don&#39;t know how much i will be crucifying myself here, but i never even knew there was such a thing as Harry Potter until the arrival of the fourth book, when my friends waved the book in front of face and asked me wheter i had read it or not, and which of the books was my favourite. I gave it a go. You can&#39;t do fairer than that.

07-09-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by H.H.@9 July 2003 - 11:41
... that is why I am so shy and silent all the time&#33;
so who made up this post and posted all that stuff on the first posts?

the last time i checked, the was H.H.

ps: i rest my case

theprisoner
07-09-2003, 09:59 PM
Well, i thought the Harry Potter were good books(awful movies) but lord of the rings were better.

iamtheoneandonlyone
07-09-2003, 11:21 PM
This ain&#39;t spam. You want spam, go eat some. I believe spam is made in Texas.

The only thing good about these books is they encourage a child to read. Unless they all read Harry Potter.

that1dude
07-10-2003, 11:37 PM
I didnt think that harry potter was that bad until i woke up early on accident and i turned on the t.v. and i guess that day was the day when the new one came out and the news guy was talking to the kids about the book and the kids were excited about who should die and who they think should die. thats what the kids are reading murder fantasy books about witches and shit. now im not so certain about this whole harry potter phasade

dmorgan89
07-11-2003, 12:28 AM
dude. your kids love it and your still dissing it. well i guess they are your kids. you can say what you want.

07-11-2003, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by that1dude@11 July 2003 - 00:37
thats what the kids are reading murder fantasy books about witches and shit.
first of all, it&#39;s not murder fantasies, and second of all, if ur not reading it, how can u judge sth w/o knowing the content of it? ur becoming like H.H.

Eugenius
07-11-2003, 07:36 AM
cool, two posts why Harry Tosser is shit.
HH is right.
magic, wands, broomsticks&#33;?&#33;?
gimmie a break. <_<

ScotchGuy
07-11-2003, 08:12 AM
I don&#39;t read the Harry Potter books and never have, so I don&#39;t attempt to insult them, like others. If you have not even read any Harry Potter book H.H. then how do you know how terrible they are?

Personally I couldn&#39;t care any less if people want to read the books, so what, why do you care. In fact I like the idea that kids are showing an interest in reading again.

Originally posted by that1dude@10 July 2003 - 15:37
thats what the kids are reading murder fantasy books about witches and shit. now im not so certain about this whole harry potter phasade

Murder fantasy books? The entire story does not revolve around murders, just because someone dies in a book you can&#39;t simply say that it&#39;s a murder fantasy book. And further more, I think this is the first death in the entire series of books. You are a moron.

I don&#39;t think it&#39;s about witches either, it&#39;s just about children who go to a school of magic.

Also, grow up. If you&#39;re seriously worried about children reading books that have such scary subjects then why not take a look at the video games that children are playing. Then have a stroke and die from amazement.

Eugenius
07-11-2003, 03:34 PM
boring (http://maddox.xmission.com/harry.html)

07-11-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by ScotchGuy@11 July 2003 - 09:12
I don&#39;t read the Harry Potter books and never have, so I don&#39;t attempt to insult them, like others. If you have not even read any Harry Potter book H.H. then how do you know how terrible they are?

Personally I couldn&#39;t care any less if people want to read the books, so what, why do you care. In fact I like the idea that kids are showing an interest in reading again.
1. thank u, scotch guy, i was about to say the same thing

2. eugenius, is "boring" all u can come up with? it sure shows ur ignorance

ScotchGuy
07-12-2003, 01:46 AM
Yeah especially since the link is totally irrelevent to what we were talking about. Maddox actually watched the movie before he began to insult it, so that doesn&#39;t bother me. What bothers me is that H.H. made these comments without even reading the book.

07-12-2003, 02:31 AM
well as i said in the other forum about how hp sux ass, ppl who say these r bad books w/o reading them just wants some attention b/c they have no life and dun have anything better to do than starting an argument