PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Remove Programs From Add/remove.

dmorgan89
07-07-2003, 06:35 PM
If you have programs that are stuck in add/remove programs. How do you get rid of them. And how can you know if you got all of the program uninstalled. Help please? I know you can remove them from the list from the registry. I just forgot where it is. And I'm not sure if what i'm removing is totally removed from my computer.

Xilo
07-07-2003, 06:36 PM
Define what you mean by "stuck"

Wolfmight
07-07-2003, 06:41 PM
try reinstalling them.. then uninstall

MediaSlayer
07-07-2003, 06:55 PM
Stuck. The same thing happened to me while uninstalling part of the bundled software that came with the computer. It was microsoft suite, money, and maybe another. There were several "entries" in add/remove programs, and I accidently installed everything except for the "customization" program which happened to be an uninstaller. So since the uninstaller program couldn't find anything to uninstall, it got caught in a loop. Finally, good old xp figured out what I did and everything I wanted gone disappeared from the add/remove programs screen.

Porsche
07-07-2003, 06:55 PM
how about removing icons from control panel? right clicking doesnt work, pressing delete doesnt work... :huh:

dmorgan89
07-07-2003, 07:00 PM
by stuck i mean there's no uninstall file i believe. Or it can't find the program or where it's located. Sometimes there's nothing left but a few files that stayed because of an error when i uninstall something. So most of the program is gone, but it still stays in add/remove programs. There's a location in the registry where i can get it to come off but i've forgotten. but i also need to make sure that it's totally uninstalled also. isn't there some kind of program out there that does this?

(¯`·._.·[Rob]·._.·´¯)
07-07-2003, 07:17 PM
ok say i got the file "Killer Tank" stuck in the add and remove i would search the regedit for "killer tank" and remove all the keys with that in it

Wolfmight
07-07-2003, 07:18 PM
u can use a program called "Full Uninstall" also.

dmorgan89
07-07-2003, 07:25 PM
you might not want to go deleting every resgistry entry from that. You'll end up messing up your registry and i dont keep a backup.

Lamsey
07-07-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by dmorgan89@7 July 2003 - 19:35
If you have programs that are stuck in add/remove programs. How do you get rid of them. And how can you know if you got all of the program uninstalled. Help please? I know you can remove them from the list from the registry. I just forgot where it is. And I'm not sure if what i'm removing is totally removed from my computer.
You can do this using TweakUI.

dmorgan89
07-07-2003, 07:27 PM
where can i get full uninstall.

3RA1N1AC
07-07-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey@7 July 2003 - 11:26
You can do this using TweakUI.
RegCleaner also works.

davec8
08-04-2003, 10:20 PM
I got these tips directly from a magazine I bought. I tried them. They work.
(Note: I'm on XP Home Edition)

To remove programs listed in the add or remove program utility list that are already removed from your computer.(Improper uninstallation is usually the cause).
- (If your unsure what you're doing backup the registry first). Click Run from the start menu. Type regedit. In the left pane find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\UNINSTALL. Expand the tree beneath uninstall to find all the listings in your add or remove programs utility. Right-click the entry in the left pane and select delete.

Also, to remove hidden programs,(like 3d pinball etc.), follow these instructions to unhide them.

Open windows explorer, and find the C:\windows\inf folder. Open the folder and display the sysoc.inf file in notepad. (I just did a search for the file). Below the [Components] section, you will find listings for Terminal server, auto update, etc.. Look for the word "Hide" toward the end of the command string for each component. If it is present, your system is hiding that component from the Add or remove programs utility. Delete HIDE from the component string to make it appear in the add/remove program utility. Note that a comma separates each of the commands in a string. Preserve all of the commas so that 2 commas now precede the final item in the string. Save the file before closing. To check your handiwork, open the add/remove programs utility. From the menu on the left side, click on add/remove windows components to see the now "unhidden" items. Now you can remove them.

boyzeee
08-04-2003, 10:27 PM
norton cleansweep in systemworks good, pick a prog to uninstall and it searches for it plus any files linked to it like browser plugins etc, you then have a choice of what you wanna get rid of. :D

McGee
08-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Use jv16 power tools -> registry -> uninstall. Delete the entry.

chris9902
08-04-2003, 10:37 PM
go to RUN > type 'regedit' > EDIT > FIND > type what it is > DELETE > DONE