PDA

View Full Version : Use stuff downloaded elsewhere to improve ratio?

huqiming
09-20-2007, 04:59 PM
A newbie question:

Since not every tracker allow to upload torrent, can i use files downloaded elsewhere (ftp dump, usenet, etc) to improve my ratio?

I imagine i could do this:

download/start a torrent -> stop it -> move files downloaded elsewhere to the torrent download dir -> force recheck (utorrent) -> start the torrent.

In this way i don't have to waste my download stats on stuff i already have thereby improve my ratio.

Does this work?

Any trackers explicitly forbid this?

Thank you.

SiNa
09-20-2007, 05:02 PM
yes it does work buut the file must be exactly the same to the torrent you download. so the file that you get elsewhere must be same to the one on the tracker that you want to improve your ratio on. there are some trackers that forbid this but i dont know which ones

Cmon
09-20-2007, 05:02 PM
sure, download somewhere else, seed anywhere else is fine

dbmp
09-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Yes, you can do it. :) Check the filenames/size and if they match go for it.

spark
09-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Sure you can....with ANY tracker...

PirateEagle
09-20-2007, 06:07 PM
yes you can with any tracker abt ur question and one more thing you can download a one part of torrent for example 10-20mb and let it seed it will be buffer so good that you ill have a good ratio that you can use if you wanna to make ur ratio and biff good :)

huqiming
09-20-2007, 06:16 PM
yes you can with any tracker abt ur question and one more thing you can download a one part of torrent for example 10-20mb and let it seed it will be buffer so good that you ill have a good ratio that you can use if you wanna to make ur ratio and biff good :)

That's a great tip. Thank you!

Anyone aware of trackers that have a problem with uploading stuff downloaded from elsewhere please comment. Thanks.

briand5379
09-20-2007, 07:19 PM
If you don't have the fastest speeds or a bunch of sites with lots of leechers sharing the same file on multiple sites can be your friend.