PDA

View Full Version : ATT yahoo DSL power / eliter 3mb/6mbps - YOUR OPINION

embolism
09-20-2007, 05:22 PM
Having comcast and them squeezing my UPLOADs neck and me using friends T1 network to buffer my accounts is tiring. If anybody in US has used ATT-yahoo DSL connection - either power or elite user (3mbps or 6mbps down speed) have any experience - how is their upload speed (torrents)..costs $ 24 or $34 / month. Im planning to switch. Any opions are appreciated, thanks y'all.
BELIEVE ME- COMCAST SQUEEZES UPLOADS ...ESP AROUND WHERE I LIVE!!!! WHAT EVER YOU READ ABOUT IT IS VERY VERY TRUE.

Tokeman
09-20-2007, 05:32 PM
but it is only in certain (problem or testing) areas that comcast is doing this. I've seen no throttling and I've had no trouble dling all I can handle.
This doesn't mean it isn't happening, or that it won't eventually be everywhere, but for now, its not.
I'm holding out for fiber, but it seems I may be waiting a while. I would also love to hear reviews for att dsl.

embolism
09-20-2007, 05:36 PM
Here is what I have noticed with Comcast. The upload is fine when you are actively downloading that file, once your download is completed...the upload fallsssss...to 1 kbps!!! inspite of having plenty of Peers!! amazing ha!!
Now I take the same file and use it with my friends T1 network and zoom..the upload flies. I am kind of tired of bothering my friend too much..you know one can ask and get so much...so was trying to get a new ISP.
Any weblinks on when fiber might come out (north texas area)..
Meantime looking for cost effective ISP..currently shelling $42/m for CUMcast hehe

Really need some help/ advice here guys...nebody in US with ATT dsl

briand5379
09-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Try cox or verizon.

embolism
09-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Neither serves my area :(

briand5379
09-20-2007, 07:47 PM
I know I've read that comcast is big time guilty of p2p throttling but that p2p encryption helps. Sorry I don't know your area but those are some of the largest providers in the country.

import_fighter
09-20-2007, 08:10 PM
I've had both and currently have elite. The speeds are constant with both.With the pro I could upload constantly around 40kbps and with the elite I can steady 80kbps. As for downloads I can maximize those as well with elite i can see download speeds in the 600kbps.Pro was in the 300's.So for the money elite is the way to go.

embolism
09-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Thank you for the answer.

import_fighter
09-20-2007, 10:01 PM
no problem, i wouldnt trade my elite service for anything but fios ;)

embolism
09-20-2007, 10:17 PM
The comcast one level higher ISP service (so called 8mbps/750kbps) gives me steady 80kbps upload on u torrent. It costs $52/m. Compared to Elite which costs $34/m. Now using Azureus - will that increase the uploads compared to u torrent.

Tokeman
09-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Here is what I have noticed with Comcast. The upload is fine when you are actively downloading that file, once your download is completed...the upload fallsssss...to 1 kbps!!! inspite of having plenty of Peers!! amazing ha!!
Now I take the same file and use it with my friends T1 network and zoom..the upload flies. I am kind of tired of bothering my friend too much..you know one can ask and get so much...so was trying to get a new ISP.
Any weblinks on when fiber might come out (north texas area)..
Meantime looking for cost effective ISP..currently shelling $42/m for CUMcast hehe

Really need some help/ advice here guys...nebody in US with ATT dsl

wow, that sucks big time!
I get 80kb/s upload steady after finishing a torrent on a file with enough leechers, and it bursts up to 160kb/s from time to time.
I hope they dont bring this throttling to my area before FIOS is available. The DSL options around here are still (way) more expensive for a comparable service to what I have now.

embolism
09-21-2007, 12:26 AM
anybody else....ATT DSL experience...

nykobing
09-21-2007, 02:45 AM
anybody else....ATT DSL experience...

I have the Pro and I get about 260kb/s and down 50/kbs up - haven't had any problems with them and have had it from the time it was PacBell -> SBC -> Att. In the 6 or 7 years I have had it, I don't think it has ever been down for more than 3 hours in that whole time.

briand5379
09-21-2007, 06:56 AM
The elite sounds like a good deal.

embolism
09-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks for all the answers